World Cup 2011

Bxl Boy

• 1 month later...

John Rocha who was chair of the Burnaby Site Organising Committee for the U-20 WC is chair of the CSA's 2011 Women's World Cup bid. The Canadian proposal may not be in the public domain yet but you can be sure it is competitive. Site selection is likely driven by factors other than the proposals submitted however, as long as the proposals are generally acceptable, so there are no guarantees.

John Rocha who was chair of the Burnaby Site Organising Committee for the U-20 WC is chair of the CSA's 2011 Women's World Cup bid. The Canadian proposal may not be in the public domain yet but you can be sure it is competitive. Site selection is likely driven by factors other than the proposals submitted however, as long as the proposals are generally acceptable, so there are no guarantees.

John's a great guy... just the kind of person our game needs. I wonder if his name has been considered for the vacant CSA COO position. I would guess he'd have his pick of positions if he lands this tournament - if FIFA don't headhunt him first.

However much I hope its Canada 2011. I think it will be Germany 2011. After all Germany are World and European Champions. The World Cup has been hosted twice in North America (USA) and twice in Asia (China). Only once has it been held in Europe (Sweden). So I would guess Germany might be the hosts of 2011. Having said that Peru and South America have never held the cup. So anything is possible. I dont know much about the Peru Womens side but if Argentina or Brazil was bidding I'd would say they would have a stronger case then Peru. On the day I think Canada will have a strong case. It's a shame we don't know much about our own bid. If we did the whole country could get behind the bid and back it all the way. The more people and high profile people from sports to government. We would have an good chance in hosting.

quote:Originally posted by N-A

However much I hope its Canada 2011. I think it will be Germany 2011. After all Germany are World and European Champions. The World Cup has been hosted twice in North America (USA) and twice in Asia (China). Only once has it been held in Europe (Sweden). So I would guess Germany might be the hosts of 2011. Having said that Peru and South America have never held the cup. So anything is possible. I dont know much about the Peru Womens side but if Argentina or Brazil was bidding I'd would say they would have a stronger case then Peru. On the day I think Canada will have a strong case. It's a shame we don't know much about our own bid. If we did the whole country could get behind the bid and back it all the way. The more people and high profile people from sports to government. We would have an good chance in hosting.

Excellent points and it would be nice if the general (fan) public knew more about all three bids. I think it will go to Germany as well. Peru is a long shot after all Chile was given the women U20 WC in 2008 and according to Fifa the Chilean government is fully behind it spending 40 million to upgrade 4 stadiums to Fifa standards.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/267802

ZURICH, Switzerland – Canada and Germany are the only candidates to host the women's World Cup in 2011 after Peru withdrew its bid.

FIFA said in a statement Wednesday that Canada and Germany will present their bids to its executive committee on Oct. 29.

The committee will decide the next day where the tournament will be held.

The host country for the men's World Cup in 2014 will also be announced on Oct. 30. Brazil is the only country bidding to host the tournament.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Soccer/article/267802

ZURICH, Switzerland – Canada and Germany are the only candidates to host the women's World Cup in 2011 after Peru withdrew its bid.

FIFA said in a statement Wednesday that Canada and Germany will present their bids to its executive committee on Oct. 29.

The committee will decide the next day where the tournament will be held.

The host country for the men's World Cup in 2014 will also be announced on Oct. 30. Brazil is the only country bidding to host the tournament.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Is it customary for bidding nations to make their world cup hosting proposals public before submission to FIFA? If I was responsible for preparing the bid I sure wouldn't do that, why show my cards prematurely to the competition?

Depends on what your bid is based on .. and what you have as votes ..with whom and based on what.

What can the Government of Canada and CSA do to draw in votes from Africa and South America ..one has to assume Concacaf will support us... but what about the other votes will need to overcome the European bloc.

What will the hold home countries vote .. Scotland and England have the CSA blazer called with their full on accents to get the votes ?

I agree that at times it may be politic to reveal some aspects of one's bid for lobbying purposes but I sure as heck wouldn't publish the entire bid a month or more before the submission date. All that does is hand your bid's potential weaknesses to the competition on a silver platter for them to exploit and counter and that's just plain dumb.

Here is the Fifa plan of action Times are CET

29/30 October - Programme and logistics

29 October Agenda

Bid presentations to the FIFA Executive Committee members (open to media) - FIFA Auditorium

FIFA Women's World Cup 2011

10:30-10:45 Canada

11:00-11:15 Germany

30 October Agenda

9:00 FIFA Executive Committee Meeting (Part II) - (closed to the media)

15:00 Press conference (FIFA Auditorium) :

Decision on the FIFA Women's World Cup 2011 host country

UEFA has 8 votes out of a possible 24 (Likely to vote for Germany)

Not sure which countries have the other 16 votes

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

Do they release who voted for who or just the totals?

I think they will only announce the voting totals. It would be nice to know which countries have a vote. I am sure that information is for FIFA associations only. As who voted for who that would be interesting.I would like to think the CSA knows who the 24 countries are who hold votes. If the Olympic voting is anything to go by it isnt always the best, strongest or favourite candiate that wins.

So I think its an open race.

quote:Originally posted by N-A

29 October Agenda

Bid presentations to the FIFA Executive Committee members (open to media) - FIFA Auditorium

UEFA has 8 votes out of a possible 24 (Likely to vote for Germany)

Not sure which countries have the other 16 votes

Here is a link to the FIFA Executive Committee. These guys look like thay will be voting on which country will host 2011

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/bodies/exco.html

Archived