Should the Impact join the MLS?

I think most people here will agree with you but until Montreal and Vancouver have stadiums that meet MLS standards and Toronto FC's exclusive national MLS rights to Canada expire at the end of 2009 I think it is, no matter how badly anybody wants MLS teams in Montreal and Vancouver, it is not going to happen.

well Montreal Impact will have a new stadium in 2008, if we ge join the MLS in 2010 that will be great, not that USL is a bad league but in order for us to advance and become a country that show up every 4 or 8 years at a WC we need to have at least 3 MLS teams

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I think most people here will agree with you but until Montreal and Vancouver have stadiums that meet MLS standards and Toronto FC's exclusive national MLS rights to Canada expire at the end of 2009 I think it is, no matter how badly anybody wants MLS teams in Montreal and Vancouver, it is not going to happen.

Nor should they be in without new stadiums...but it will happen. I think the quality of Toronto's fans in both attendance at ambiance have the MLS brass being far more open to Vancouver and Montreal expansion, maybe sooner than they had ever thought.

that would be great idea, the only thing I'd say though which is along the lines of everyone else is that it would require a pretty large investment, besides the stadium, montreal would have to make a few important signing.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

We need the Impact in the MLS! The first thing that must happen is having TD Bank become their shirt sponsor

ahaha, ironic symetry, I love it, if montreal and vancouver joined MLS hopefully this would encourage Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton to get into the USL division 1 mix as there would be a proven path to follow despite the lack of relegation and promotion in MLS.

Well we need both sides in the MLS. But realistically, I suspect that only one will make it for the next wave of expansion. From what I have been comming accross, I keep hearing thats its Philadelphia, San Jose in the US and very likely one more Canadian club. Again, from what I have been hearing, Vancouver seems to be the front runners amongst the two Canadian teams. I suspect that one reason might be is that they will need two of the three to be in the western conference in order to balance out the divisions.

I'm guessing that the LA Galaxy friendly in BC place this October will show that BC Place can be a temporary home for an MLS side. Thats the only way Vancouver will go MLS soon as I'll probably be a senior citizen before they ever get a new stadium off the ground.

quote:I'll probably be a senior citizen before they ever get a new stadium off the ground.

Things happen fast. It's the way we felt here in Toronto, next thing you know you have a thriving soccer community in this city.

From Lynx (nothing) to Toronto FC.

Quite the turnaround.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Things happen fast. It's the way we felt here in Toronto, next thing you know you have a thriving soccer community in this city.

From Lynx (nothing) to Toronto FC.

Quite the turnaround.

Yes, but this is Vancouver. Nothing happens quick around here when it comes to government-unless it's politicians filling their pockets.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

We need the Impact in the MLS! The first thing that must happen is having TD Bank become their shirt sponsor

Heh heh, then when Vancouver join MLS their shirt sponsor could be HSBC - formerly Hong Kong Shanghai Bank of Canada!

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

I'm guessing that the LA Galaxy friendly in BC place this October will show that BC Place can be a temporary home for an MLS side. Thats the only way Vancouver will go MLS soon as I'll probably be a senior citizen before they ever get a new stadium off the ground.

The provincial government in BC is talking about tearing down BC Place after the 2010 Olympics and selling the land for condo development.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

The provincial government in BC is talking about tearing down BC Place after the 2010 Olympics and selling the land for condo development.

Thats just talk. They aren't going to be doing that while the BC Lions are still around.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Please MLS allow the Impact to join the league.

Right now TFC's closest opponent is Columbus, and while that cow pasture has its charm, it ain't Montreal in the summertime.

God. Could you imagine?

The road trips both ways would be legendary fun.

I could see us taking over an entire VIA train.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Thats just talk. They aren't going to be doing that while the BC Lions are still around.

Don't underestimate the power of the construction/development lobby in BC. They basically got the olympics... tearing down BC Place to make condos is verymuch within their lobbying powers.

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Don't underestimate the power of the construction/development lobby in BC. They basically got the olympics... tearing down BC Place to make condos is verymuch within their lobbying powers.

I don't underestimate developers the least. I've noticed a lot of "heritage" buildings seem to catch fire suspiciously and get replaced with expensive new condos, and I've certainly noticed them getting rich while many locals have to move out of the city to be able to find a place to afford to live. Are they just going to kick the BC Lions out on the street?

If I were calling the shots, I'd have Toronto FC waive their exclusvity rights to having the only Canadian team until 2009 and actively encourage either the Whitecaps and Impact to join MLS or have new teams created altogether for both cities. I'm only speaking as a fan here, but I would love nothing more than to take a 6-hour drive to Montreal and watch my Reds lay the smackdown on a Montreal club. Think of the roadtrips! Think of the rivalry! It would also give us another team to cheer FOR against the American MLS teams. If TFC had the smarts, they would waive the exclusivity rights and rake in the cash from a Toronto-Montreal/Vancouver rivalry.

ALL FOR ONE! T-F-C! T-F-C!

The luxuary of having the Montreal Impact in another team is that I can cheer for both teams equally!! I have a TORONTO FC shirt and an Montreal Impact shirt :D

Having been to both games, the first in Montreal, I was amazed at how much support a Canadian team can have. I was in a game in 2003, Impact broke its fan record exceeding the 10 000 fan mark at a single game... of course, Montreal played Toronto, LYNKS SUCK! I am too embarrassed to support them...

But then i went to a Toronto FC game...my god... that was almost 10 times what the Impact was fans were, the noise, the first goal... wow.. all the European signings we had (Dichio & Brennen both from the English Premier League) said "ITS LIKE ENGLAND!"

Impact definetely has to join MLS! I hear they have a soccar specific stadium coming too... like a smaller version of BMO Field in Toronto... but charming just the same

Vancouver... I honestly dont know how much support they have. They arent as Euro centric as we are here in Toronto & Montreal...

I would love to them to have a team, but I say, go with the forsure. Montreal is DEFINETELY a FOOTBALL City... But Impact needs a New Name

I mean Toronto FC, how Euro is that! We need Montreal to have a similar name... FC Montreal... or Inter Montreal (with its Italian community)... Montreal United...something more Euro than Impact!

Toronto FC isn't "euro" at all, that's the point. They wanted to represent ALL of Toronto.

The Impact have carried the same name for 15 years, have the biggest leagcy of any other Québec soccer team and have won two championships. If the Impact go to MLS, than the IMPACT will be in MLS.

And for the eurosnobs, the full name of the club is "Impact de Montréal FC".

Archived