Toronto FC Notebook

johnmolinaro

Hey guys,

John Molinaro from CBC Sports Online here. Thought you might be interested in reading this:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/columns/torontofc-notebook/

It's a weekly (sometimes twice weekly) column I'm going to run on the CBC Sports website.

I'm sure you've heard most of this, but there may be one or two things you may not have heard.

Anyway, if I'm wasting your time by posting this link here, let me know and I'll stop.

Cheers,

John

Thanks John. It's nice to see that some of the questions raised on this board are actually being asked to Mo.

With regards to the players opinions at the end of the article, I agree with Poz. From what I saw, the defence has been under siege because they haven't received much in the way of support from the rest of the team and I thought they performed admirably (not spectacular mind you, but admirably). I find it hard to believe that you can point to the defence as the problem on the team when they have yet to score a goal or really retained possession for an extended period of time in the opposing half.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

I find it hard to believe that you can point to the defence as the problem on the team when they have yet to score a goal or really retained possession for an extended period of time in the opposing half.

Well, you can point to it as a problem, just not the only problem. I think the consensus that the whole team needs to play better & gel is correct, but there have been individual errors made leading to goals against that have little to do with playing style or personnel elsewhere on the field.

Interesting to note that Braz is considered "well-short" of match fitness - there was no report on any previous injury, is Mo just saying he's out of shape?

Gianluca:

I was a bit leery of posting it, because I didn't want to come off as self-promotional. Now that I know you guys are okay with me doing so and appear to be interested in reading it, I'll keep posting them in the future.

Regarding El Hombre's comments, to be fair, I don't think I pointed to the defence as the source of all the team's woes - I just wanted to pick everybody's brain to see what was wrong with the defence. which, I'm sure you would agree, has been a problem area for the club.

John-TV: As someone who only comes to this site occassionaly (no reflection on the quality of the site, I'm just too damn busy to do a lot of idle surfing) I'll have to take your word that we go way back.

John

quote:Originally posted by johnmolinaro

Regarding El Hombre's comments, to be fair, I don't think I pointed to the defence as the source of all the team's woes - I just wanted to pick everybody's brain to see what was wrong with the defence. which, I'm sure you would agree, has been a problem area for the club.

Totally. I agree. I wasn't going strictly by your article per se, but by stuff I've been reading/watching all over the 'net. It has seemed that everybody has been focussing on how the defence has been lousy when it should be noted that they have yet to capitalize on a chance.

Wasn't taking you to task, but raising an observation of my own. Of course, so long as I have my rose-coloured glasses on and the majority of the defence stays Canadian, they can do no wrong. [8D]

Either way, keep the updates coming.

Toronto Star makes me smile. There is this very lenghty article about our team written by my good friend Mary Ormsby,She is listed as a sports reporter,well she is the assistant editor. I can just see it at their meeting,here it goes all columnist are around that table.

Ok guys we have to do an article about TFC and who is going to write it,total silence,nobody reacts.Than some groans and moans,soccer come on says perkins ,who needs it,nobody volunteers,finally Mary pipes up,ok Im will write it,but this is the last time,ok guys,you better get use to that soccer in town,it is happening.

Thanks Mary you did a great job in taking these columnist of the hook. However who will be doing it in the future,any suggestions?

Archived