TFC in Charleston

MM2

I attended the TFC practice this morning at Charleston Southern University. The practice started at 10 sharp with all players out at center to have a discussion with Bob and Mo.

Overall it was a very basic practice with Gansler running the show with Mo watching from the sideline and throwing in comments.

After the discussion the players broke off into groups of 3 or 4 and did about 10-15 min of light running and stretching on their own, they then came together for another 10 minutes of group warm-up.

They then played "Handball" in teams of 8 vs. 8 on a reduced field, about every 5 minutes a new twist would be added, they finally ended up playing one touch (I wasn't too impressed with the sharpness in this drill) and then finished the session with two touch control (the teams looked a lot sharper with the two touch). The teams appeared to be divided Canada vs. the Rest of the World, I heard one player saying that Canada had won. At one point Mo chided Maycoll for not playing both ways.

At 11:00 the players took a quick water break and they broke into three groups. One group worked with Mo at one end of the field and worked a basic shooting drill. Bob had a second group, Jamaal Smith, Joey Melo? and one other young Canadian, this group worked on basic foot skills. A third group worked at the other end on passing drills ending with an attempt at net, they started off simple and added complexity as they went along.

At 11:30 Mo called the practice, the players did a 5 minute cool-down

and that was it.

Observations - Ronnie O'Brien had his right knee iced at the end of the practice, three players sat out the whole practice, with the two goalies, that means there was 21 players at the field. Welsh took some ribbing at the end of the practice about his accent (I think it was Reda , but not 100% about that.)

Tuesday March 27th

Finally managed to make it to another practice, the team is only practicing in the mornings this week.

When we arrived at the field at 10:00,TFC was well into their warm-up routine, from there they played a possession game in a reduced area (50X30?) X # of consectutive passes equaling a point. After a short water break they played 11 vs. 8, (full field width but only about 70 yards long) with constant stops in play to practice corner kicks and free kicks. Eskadarian took most of the corners for the black team. At 11:00 the practice was over and the team headed back for lunch and a referee meeting.

Injury notes: Edu, Casey, Nagamura and Welsh did not practice with the team.

Edu and Welsh ran several laps of the field, at times joined by Nagamura (Nagamura didn't practice last Thursday)who ran with a ball.

Nagamura and Welsh then spent the rest of the practice with ice packs on their legs. Casey after warming up on his own then spent the rest of the practice playing keep-up with Edu (feet only).

I posted these player rankings on the Usector board, thought I'd re-post them here:

Player ratings out of 10 (IMHO)

Sutton - 9 - two great saves, one on the PK of course, and didn't have much chance on the goal

Braz - 6 - I don't think he's quick enough to play right back, he's better in the middle

Boyens - 6 - a lot of good play but a lot of fouls too, some in dangerous spots. Needs experience, but thankfully is getting it.

Brennan - 8 - not sure what he could do about the handball call, impossible to tell from what we saw, but played very well, providing some much needed composure back there

Andrade - 4 - not sure what he was doing out there to be honest, I take it that Mo yanking him off the field so quickly was a sign that he thought the same

Mulrooney - 7 - solid, but not really as influential as one might have hoped

O'Brien - 9 - set up both goals

Asante - 8 - read the play very well in order to be in the right spots to break up the play & distributed very well

Cancela - 6 - looked really slow & un-interested to these eyes - don't really remember him getting forward effectively the way O'Brien did.

Eskandarian - 8 - would have been 9 based on first half play, but he disappeared a bit in the 2nd half

Buddle - 8 - would have been 6 until he scored, he seemed to wake up at that point & play better as the game wore on, getting more involved.

Subs

Pozniak - 7 - I don't get the Pozniak-bashing in this thread, he looked solid & a much needed improvement over Andrade. Not spectacular but held his own & got forward effectively on occasion

Guzman - 5 - he nearly set up Eskandarian for a goal soon after he got on but seemed totally lost after that, and I wasn't surprised when Mo pulled an Andrade on him & subbed him out quickly.

Canizalez - n/a - I want to give him pity points for being called "Caniza" for the brief spell that he played - that commentator was good except for his inability to pronounce names properly. MC2 didn't really get a chance to play much. All I can say is that he was an improvement defensively over Guzman, shored up the left side a bit, and its a shame that he never really got a chance to grab the ball & run with it offensively as he's quite good at that.

The Charleston adventure is over (for me at least). Just arrived in Virginia, first internet access I've had since the game ended, Gianluca, I agree with most of your comments, I'll just add a few extra in bold. I thought that the defence was very porous for the first 30 minutes, New York had several chances that they did not convert. After that they seemed to settle down and didn't allow much more

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I posted these player rankings on the Usector board, thought I'd re-post them here:

Player ratings out of 10 (IMHO)

Brennan - 8 - not sure what he could do about the handball call, impossible to tell from what we saw, but played very well, providing some much needed composure back there (I thought Brennan was absolutely brillant out there, outstanding:D:D)

Mulrooney - 7 - solid, but not really as influential as one might have hoped (I would rate him a bit lower, he didn't play as well as in the first game)

Asante - 8 - read the play very well in order to be in the right spots to break up the play & distributed very well (Again maybe one point lower, still some defensive lapses, again not as solid as the first game)

Cancela - 6 - looked really slow & un-interested to these eyes - don't really remember him getting forward effectively the way O'Brien did. (Did not seem to want go in for the tough tackle, hopefully saving it for the season)

Eskandarian - 8 - would have been 9 based on first half play, but he disappeared a bit in the 2nd half (great touch on the goal, tireless worker all night)

Buddle - 8 - would have been 6 until he scored, he seemed to wake up at that point & play better as the game wore on, getting more involved. (Totally agree, did nothing untill the goal, and then came to life two ratings 3/4 before the goal, 8 after.

Subs

Pozniak - 7 - I don't get the Pozniak-bashing in this thread, he looked solid & a much needed improvement over Andrade. Not spectacular but held his own & got forward effectively on occasion

(Absolutely, he had a great performance tonight, some great runs down the wing. Much improved over the first game)

quote:Originally posted by MM2

The Charleston adventure is over (for me at least). Just arrived in Virginia, first internet access I've had since the game ended, Gianluca, I agree with most of your comments, I'll just add a few extra in bold. I thought that the defence was very porous for the first 30 minutes, New York had several chances that they did not convert. After that they seemed to settle down and didn't allow much more

Agreed, and I think it was the inclusion of Pozniak in favour of Andrade that made the difference at the back, they seemed to settle down when Poz came in. That's why I couldn't really understand why he was getting some criticism by a couple of the other Usector posters during the match thread.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Raptors wins, Raptors win!!!

2-1 for the good guys, or the bad for some posters here.....

Raptor win, TFC win, Leafs and Jays look for early exits to their seasons as usual....Argos....who cares.....Tornto Rock...puzzling!

Its good to see Fc getting a win but Mo says the team is not game shape yet,but with just over a week and a bit left before the first game they better get fit quick!!! Well done TFC!!

Archived