Florida Camp Reports

RS

They've been at camp in Florida a week now, and the TFC site has been providing daily updates.

Here's the latest:

Toronto FC 2-0-0 in preseason

Toronto FC played their second game of their inaugural training camp in Sunrise, Florida Friday against local team, Honduras Five-Star, emerging 3-0 winners.

Playing conditions were ideal for the teams, but a little chilly for spectators with overcast skies and a temperature of 55F (13C).

First half action saw Sutton barely tested at all in the Toronto goal. The Canadian side creating some great chances at the other end - Andrea Lombardo played a perfect right sided cross to Edson Buddle in front, but his shot was off the mark, and Midfielder Jim Brennan tested the goalkeeper with a powerful blast that was knocked down.

The second half saw most of the veteran players give way to other camp invitees, and it didn't take long for the first goal. 50th minute, Jamaican international Garfield Reid scored from long range, firing a powerful low blast that just eluded the keeper's finger tips.

75th minute, Lombardo sent a perfect cross to the far post, where University of South Florida product Hunter West headed it past the diving keeper to make it 2-0.

The Toronto FC 2007 Draft pick scored his second of the game 5 minutes later, Colombian international Hector Hurtado played a long pass up the middle to West, the keeper came out to challenge, and Hunter practically walked it in to make it a 3-0 Toronto victory.

"I felt guys moved the ball around well, I felt collectively we played as a team," said Head Coach Mo Johnston, "defensively we were good, our midfielders were good, and obviously we got some goals up front."

The game was a feisty one, with some nasty looking tackles in the first half, but overall Johnston said he was happy.

Midfielders Ronnie O'Brien (back) and Alecko Eskandarian (stiffness) both did not see action. Maurice Edu remains on the bench out with a pelvic injury.

Toronto is back on the pitch Saturday morning at 10:00am ET, as training camp continues.

Toronto Line-up: Ist Half: Greg Sutton, Marco Reda, Andrew Boyens, Adam Braz, Chris Pozniak, Joey Melo, Jim Brennan, Tyler Hemming, Paulo Nagamura, Andrea Lombardo, Edson Buddle

2nd Half: Greg Sutton, (JP Piques 54), Adam Braz, Marco Reda, Andrew Boyens, Garfield Reid, Miguel Canizalez, Tyler Hemming (Andrea Lombardo 57), Richard Asante, Hector Hurtado, Junaid Hartley, Hunter West

Note that Miguel Canizalez appears to be on trial

A Florida camp report from Gerry Dobson, just from the wrong side of Florida and the wrong sport:

quote:Don't ask me why I'm in Dunedin checking in with the Blue Jays. It’s a long story. Toronto FC is training at Fort Lauderdale, on the other side of the state. Maybe I got on the wrong flight. But we'll get there soon enough.

However, even in Blue Jay land, soccer will come up in conversation. Take manager John Gibbons; mention to him how the new stadium is taking shape and he asks about David Beckham. Then he tells you how his daughter is a soccer playing fanatic. It doesn't take long for him to admit that somehow he has to get his daughter to that LA game in August, schedule permitting.

“Hey Tom Anselmi, you're the boss down at FC. How about a couple of tickets for the Blue Jays manager?”

Then, Toronto newspaper writer Jeff Blair says “hello” while waiting for Roy Halladay or one of the other players and starts in about how he absolutely loves the game. “Saw Charlton play at the Valley once upon a time and got hooked.”

No doubt in my mind Jeff could switch from writing baseball to covering MLS in a heartbeat.

I run into these situations everywhere I go. It’s been simmering beneath the surface, and now Toronto FC is poised to launch soccer into the mainstream. And don't tell me I've been saying soccer will take over. Never said it. Stupid idea. We simply believe it’s about to take its place as part of the Toronto sporting landscape. No more, no less.

Not exactly what this thread was for, but I couldn't figure out where else to post this and I thought that the level of interest noteworthy.

Link

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/TorontoFC/2007/02/20/3647896-sun.html

Get better or go home

Johnson's first cuts includes Hartley

"...And after a 2-1 loss to the Canadian under-20 squad, Johnston wasted no time showing he meant what he said.

Cut from the team yesterday were South African Junaid Hartley, Jamaican Garfield Reid and Colombian Hector Hurtado.

"All the guys that were on trial never showed a lot," Johnston said. "There was four or five of them. They just aren't good enough."

And,

"...If there was anything yesterday that impressed the Toronto coach it was the play of the under-20s.

With goals from Edmonton's Tos Ricketts and Montreal's Christian Nunez the under-20s kept constant pressure on the Toronto professionals.

"I was impressed with the under-20s," Johnston said. "We are looking to sign some of them as well."

Kudos to the Sun for having a reporter at the Florida camp.

TFC gives glimpse of scoring power

http://torontosun.ca/Sports/2007/02/21/3650665-sun.html

By DEAN MCNULTY, SUN MEDIA

SUNRISE, Fla. -- For one day at least, Toronto FC was the offensive juggernaut that coach Mo Johnston hopes it will become once the Major League Soccer season gets under way in a little more than a month.

Toronto rolled to a 5-0 win over the NCAA Division II-champion Lynn University, with only a lack of finish preventing the score from being higher.

"I thought we missed a lot of goals," Johnston said. "We were able to open them up at will but we didn't score on every opportunity."

Scoring for Toronto were Edson Buddle, Jose Canceda, Abdoulaye Ibrahim, Paulo Nagamura and Hunter West.

One of the players who missed on several golden opportunities before connecting of the final goal of the game was West -- Toronto's second round pick in the MLS draft out of the University of South Florida.

"I was really disappointed that I wasn't able to capitalize on all my chances," he said. "But on the other hand, I'm happy that I was getting myself in position to score."

West said that yesterday's game was more a reflection of the strategy Johnston has pounded into the team in the first two weeks of camp.

"Mo was a striker when he played professionally and he wants this team to attack constantly," West said.

Johnston said he hopes Toronto will be able to play different styles, but admits he prefers an attacking team.

"Ideally we would like to beat a team anyway they want to play," the coach said. "But I like the idea of being loaded up with strikers.

Johnston said that when the team returns to Florida next month to continue pre-season play, he'll have Welsh international midfielder Carl Robinson as another weapon on offence.

"We have strikers Carl will be able to get the ball to -- (Alecko) Eskandarin, Ibhrahim, (Andrea) Lombardo," Johnston said, adding that he prefers having a surplus of strikers around so that fresh legs coming off the bench are seen as scoring threats.

West said he likes Johnston's philosophy, particularly the late game scoring surge that he stresses.

"When you get the green light to go on the offence late in the game like we did against Lynn, it makes for fun soccer," he said.

Yesterday's game wraps up the first half of Toronto's pre-season friendlies leaving them with a 4-1 record, their only loss coming against the Canadian under-20s.

Johnston said he will reward the team with a trip to the beach today, before returning to Toronto to get ready for the remainder of training camp that resumes on March 5 in Bradenton, Fla.

As a rule, I have no use for the Toronto Sun but as a supporter of TFC, I will make an effort to support them for providing coverage of training camp. The fans need to show loyalty to those who support our club. I am terribly disappointed that the Star hasn't bothered to offere daily updates.

http://www.thestar.com/article/183989

Togolese star an instant hit

Ibrahim finds the net in his first game for Toronto FC

Feb 21, 2007 04:30 AM

MORGAN CAMPBELL

SPORTS REPORTER

Abbe Ibrahim took eight extra days to join Toronto FC at its Florida training camp, then took less than 50 minutes to score his first pre-season goal.

Ibrahim, who has played for Togo's national youth teams, had to wait for a visa before joining his new team in Sunrise, Fla. Yesterday morning he completed his physical and in the afternoon he scored one of Toronto FC's five goals in its shutout win over SoccerMax, a local club team composed of former MLS players.

Head coach Mo Johnston, who coached Ibrahim two seasons ago in New York, was eager to see how the forward would work with his new teammates, and liked what he saw.

"He's a player," Johnston said of Ibrahim, who scored two goals in 15 games with New York in 2005. "He's fast. He's strong. He creates chances for others and he'll score the odd goal himself."

Since arriving in Florida the team has defeated SoccerMax and a local team of Honduran expatriates, while splitting a pair of exhibitions against Canada's national under-20 team.

Despite their dominant performance yesterday, Johnston described his squad as tired. He likes the convenience of having a soccer field next to the team's hotel, but says the team is worn down by more than a week of two-a-day practices on a hard, lumpy field, and temperatures that approached 27C yesterday.

EDU NOT READY YET: Although first-round draft pick Maurice Edu originally thought he'd be ready to play by the end of the team's first stint in Florida, Johnston says the midfielder will stay on the sidelines for about three more weeks. Edu hasn't played since November, when he was diagnosed with a stress fracture in his pelvis.

Johnston says Edu, a first-team All-American at the University of Maryland last season, can take all the time he needs.

"Even if he was out until the middle of the summer he'd be a great addition to our team," Johnston said. "He'll be a hell of a pro."

"Two other Canadians who have drawn good reviews from the coach are Richard Asante, of North York, and London, Ontario's Tyler Hemming."

Correct me if i'm wrong, but have these two ever played on a youth national team for us? It was always my understanding that they were NTC-Ontario players only.

If TFC can continue to provide non-national team NTC players an opportunity to create careers for themselves, than we can surley add much needed depth to our program.

If not for TFC, I wonder where Richard and Tyler would be playing now?

The Globe and Mail's camp report, from Thursday's paper:

Johnston stresses offence, leadership at young team's training camp

LARRY MILLSON

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

SUNRISE, FLA. — Sometimes an expansion team needs to rely on defence to try to be competitive against more established teams.

When the Toronto Blue Jays came into existence 30 years ago, Pat Gillick, the architect of the team, tried to stress pitching. With good pitching, he reasoned, his team could stay close in games and give itself a chance to win.

There have been expansion teams in hockey over the years that have tried to lull the opposing teams into submission with a defensive style.

And teams emphasizing defence certainly are not unknown in soccer, no matter how long the team has been in existence.

Mo Johnston is trying to put together a competitive first-year team as head coach of Toronto FC, a Major League Soccer expansion team that is training in Sunrise, Fla.

Johnston, who was a goal scorer as a player, realizes the team is a work in progress as it prepares for its April opening and still needs to add certain things.

But he did say yesterday at the team's hotel, "If you look at my roster, I brought five strikers. I'm not coming to bore my fans. I don't want the fans to be bored. I want them to come and see a competitive game, that they know that they're proud of their team. They know that every day we're doing the right thing for them and being competitive and playing for 90 minutes and hopefully send them home happy."

Since Feb. 13, Toronto FC has been working out at a soccer field that is on the hotel grounds. The team returns to Toronto on Saturday and will be in Bradenton, Fla., to train March 5 to 17. Then there is a tournament in South Carolina at the end of March.

"Formations don't bother me, it's getting good soccer players that can adjust and adapt," Johnston said. "I believe I've got that."

What does he look for in players? "I want leadership," he said. "I want people that take the bull by the horns and can change certain things on the field."

Not in quite the same context, yesterday was a day of adjustment in training for Toronto FC. Instead of working out on the field, the team went to the beach for some running.

But conditions on the beach were too soft for useful running and it was putting a strain on the calf muscles. They tried all different parts of the beach to no avail. The going was still too soft.

After about 10 minutes, the running was abandoned for fast walking for about 35 minutes and stretching. Then the players had the afternoon off. Since arriving in Sunrise the team has been putting in two or three sessions a day.

"They've only had one day off and this has been the second afternoon off," Johnston said. "The grounds are hard. We've played a lot of games."

The team took Sunday off and also had Saturday afternoon off after defeating Canada's under-20 team 3-0 on Saturday morning.

"I'm never satisfied but I'm pleased with what I see of us coming together as a group," Johnston said. "We're gelling together with people getting on with each other. I'm pleased with that part. As a team, there's a lot of work to be done."

He does like the attitude of the players so far, the fact that they want to use the services of a nutritionist and want to have strength and conditioning programs.

"I had two senior players come in this morning and ask it was okay if they could go watch a hockey game tomorrow night," Johnston said. "That was two senior international players. That says a lot to me."

A big difference between training camp with a new team rather than an established team he said is "mingling everyone together. Getting everyone mentally prepared," he said. "Getting to know people. Knowing people's tendencies. Just all the little stuff."

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Asante was a starter for the 2003 U-20's. Hemming played in 1 or 2 friendlies with the 2005 U-20's but wasn't part of the WYC team in Holland.

Didn't know Asante was a starter on that team. Both players are fresh out of NCAA right?

Another Globe article (for those keeping score at home, that's two straight days reporting from camp):

quote:SUNRISE, FLA. — Marco Reda figured it was a good time to come home to resume his professional soccer career.

He has played in Norway and Denmark for about five years, but Toronto FC, the Major League Soccer expansion franchise, has allowed the native of Woodbridge, Ont., and other Canadian players the chance to play at home.

Once there was speculation that Toronto was in line for an MLS team, Reda said, "We always kept it in mind as players."

Toronto FC became a reality last May and talks began with Reda's agent during the summer. He was signed in October.

More here.

And another from the Globe, on their website:

quote:Casey watches Toronto FC from the sidelines

LARRY MILLSON

Globe and Mail Update

SUNRISE, FLA. — Most of Conor Casey's workout Friday morning with Toronto FC was done on the sideline. He has a minor injury and hopes to be able to resume full training next week when the team is back in Toronto.

And perhaps by then, Toronto FC will be able to announce that he is officially one of its players once Major League Soccer procedural matters are wrapped up.

Casey, a former striker for the U.S. national team who has been playing in Germany, said he has not been disturbed by the slow-moving process.

"I haven't put much thought into it to be honest," Casey said Friday after a morning workout on the field that is part of the grounds of the hotel where the team is staying. "I signed a contract and I'm assuming that in a few days it will be made official."

• 2 weeks later...

Toronto FC wins exhibition

LARRY MILLSON

Globe and Mail Update

BRADENTON, FLA. — Major League Soccer expansion club Toronto FC defeated the University of Connecticut 4-0 Thursday in an exhibition game at the IMG Academy where they are conducting training this week and next.

Toronto FC coach Mo Johnston said he isn't interested in results so much as getting the team ready to play for its season opener early next month.

Alecko Eskandarian, Andrea Lombardi, Abbe Ibrahim and Ivan Cadavieco scored the goals. Toronto led 1-0 at the half.

The Toronto team is without some front-line players because of injuries to Marco Reda, Conor Casey and Ronnie O'Brien.

O'Brien injured his knee in an exhibition game in Sunrise, Fla., on Feb. 23, but he should be ready to train early next week.

Link.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Also Canizalez got another start, which would seem to bode well for him.

Yes, I saw that too, very happy for Maycoll. Lumley, AJ Gray, Asante, Jamaal Smith and Melo also played in that game. In fact, overall 11 canadians played against UCONN.

Toronto FC Starting lineup: – Jon Busch (Greg Sutton 46 minutes), Andrew Boyens, Adam Braz, Chris Pozniak ,Jose Cancela, Jim Brennan, Paulo Nagamura, Maycoll Canizalez, Carl Robinson, Alecko Eskandarian, Edson Buddle

Substitutes Used: Stephen Lumley, Jamaal Smith, Hunter West, Richard Asante, Joey Melo, A.J. Gray, Abbe Ibrahim, Ivan Cadavieco, Andrea Lombardo, Conor Casey

just wondering what is the delay on Lombardo not much said, is he on the team or still on trial.

What I mean by this is not much said since he has been with the team other then that the coach made a comment that results are not important.

Im surprise that gonzavles did not stay and I think he is a better strucual and technical player then lombardo which showed lots of results last year with his former club.

quote:Originally posted by pokey1

just wondering what is the delay on Lombardo not much said, is he on the team or still on trial.

What I mean by this is not much said since he has been with the team other then that the coach made a comment that results are not important.

Im surprise that Gonsalves did not stay and I think he is a better strucual and technical player then lombardo which showed lots of results last year with his former club.

I don't know what you looking for in your comments, however I can maybe share some of my opinion of the two, I know well. At least up to a couple of years ago for both of them. But only seen Lombardo ones since on TV last year in Italy. Not to say I am an expert but from what I saw and I know in the past they are of two different qualities and style thus making a coaching job easy to select one or the other. To compare one to the other is really not fair to either one of them. The each have the good points and bad Im sure as we all have.

Time well tell the tale, as to the where abouts of Lombardo and where he is going even though he is in Florida with the team, is a good thing but I am sure its not his only option, there could be more elsewhere as well. It's only time if not days before some news will come out of this camp. Maybe after the US U17 team match they will make a choice.

I am curious however and maybe one can help me out to understand.

But why did Gonsalves leave did he not sign with TFC or was he not pick up in the draft by them?>

Piques left because of the new Keeper.> anyone know.

Archived