Toronto FC Superdraft Selections

David C.

The MLS Superdraft is currently on.

Toronto selected midfielder (from U. Maryland) Maurice Edu, with the first overall selection.

Toronto then selected New Zealand defender (from U. New Mexico) Andrew Boyens, with the 10th overall selection. I believe that they aquired this selection at the draft but aren't sure.

If interested, you can follow the draft tracker here:

http://www.mlsnet.com/mls/events/superdraft/2007/search.jsp

Apparently, Toronto traded an allocation (or part of one) to L.A. for the 10th overall selection.

Andrew Boyens is condered to be one of the best defenders available in the draft but there are rumours (on BigSoccer.com) that he may want to play closer to home, in the Australian League.

The first round is over. Toronto doesn't have a second round selection (traded to Dallas in the Serioux for O'Brien deal). Toronto's next selection (barring more trades) is set for the first pick in the third round.

So far I am impressed with all the pics...I am guessing Jeffrey Gonsalves will be another in the next round...it will be nice having local high school standouts having a chance with the club...its a nice insentive for high schools to improve their programs...not only a great marketing tool for the club...and don't worry you aren't the only one watching the draft

the table appears set for TFC to choose Gonsalves, if they think he is worth the pick. His pedigree would lead one to imagine that he would be worth a 4th round pick....

any news yet on how TFC got the 10th pick in the 1st round. I can't find anything other than speculation about trading an allocation.

Is it possibly part of the Jacqua trade?

well, I would say that 2 young Canucks is a good sign. I'm not a huge College Soccer follower but from what I read, TFC picked up some talented young players.

Anyone know what pool of players are available in the Supplemental draft next week?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Especially as he set up Hume for the goal that tied the match to begin with......

Well that's a little generous, that goal was about 90 per cent Hume. But I'm excited about Asante and this draft.

Nice to see more young Canadians get a crack.

cheers,

matthew

I am sure their will some news about Assante and Gonsalves being products of the local high school and club programs...not only are both worthy of being drafted but both will be great marketing tools...I am sure someone will be interviewing their clubs coaches and school coaches...any publicity for the club is great...Heck all primetime sports could talk about yest was Beckham...lets see if the draft get pub in the news or the tv...did TSN even televise the draft...why wouldn't they...they are owned by ESPN and what else do they need to show Friday AFT

quote:Originally posted by canso

He was the right back for the '05 team.

Largely responsible for the mix up on the goal that knocked them out.

But we won't hold that against him.

Still Rosenlund and Gonsalves are the better players available. non?

I think you have your years mixed up.

Asante played for the '03 team. What do you mean by the 'mix up on the goal that knocked them out'? The lack of communication in extra time against Spain? If so, that's a bit harsh.

The missing back you are looking for would be Andres Arango, I think, if you indeed mean the '03 team.

quote:Originally posted by Schoolboy

...lets see if the draft get pub in the news or the tv...did TSN even televise the draft...why wouldn't they...they are owned by ESPN and what else do they need to show Friday AFT

Suffering from johntvitis, huh?

Let's clear a few things up. I believe FSWC Canada carried it-I think I saw that mentioned elsewhere. But it's not exactly riveting television, is it?

Also...TSN is NOT 'owned' by ESPN. ESPN has, I believe, a 35% share in TSN. They do NOT have programming or direct control over the station. They have little influence, if any. I'd be surprised if they did.

quote:Originally posted by canso

Winston Marshall was also on that back line with Attiba and Assante.

Who was the fourth, anyone remember?

Gonsalves get get his big chance to..."Impress the MLS!"

But are these guys really the future of our MNT?

You never know with those NCAA guys, sometimes they can turn out in solid pro like Occean or Simpson. On the other hand you'll see a lot of those guys struggling at the MLS level. Let's hope that at least one of the two canadian we drafted today will turn out into good player for TFC.

I would imagine the future of our MNT is more on the shoulder of guys like Johnson, Edgar, Peters and some other young guys in Europe but the depth of our MNT depends on the succes of guys like Asante and Gonsalves at the next level.

thanks for the clarification about TSN...the score is becoming the best sports station in canada and definitely the best soccer station as well (i wish that ticker would go away haha they cant do that)...I would like to see a bio of all the players from the 03 Dubai UAE team...I just hope that isn't the top for some of those players...I know some of them have come on the MNT scene...as for Toronto FC...I wonder who else will get invited...I hope Toronto FC unveils some of the players at a news conference

Right that was '03, not '05. Man it all blurs together on ya!

Andres Arango was impressive, where is he these days?

Certainly depth will come in handy, provided the MNT coach doesn't start picking domestics over better players overseas, ie Watson over Nsaliwa.

How much will that gap be closed by choosing Assante instead of Nsaliwa in two years time?

Archived