Toronto FC Superdraft Selections

David C.

Right that was '03, not '05. Man it all blurs together on ya!

Andres Arango was impressive, where is he these days?

Certainly depth will come in handy, provided the MNT coach doesn't start picking domestics over better players overseas, ie Watson over Nsaliwa.

How much will that gap be closed by choosing Assante instead of Nsaliwa in two years time?

quote:Originally posted by loyola

You never know with those NCAA guys, sometimes they can turn out in solid pro like Occean or Simpson. On the other hand you'll see a lot of those guys struggling at the MLS level. Let's hope that at least one of the two canadian we drafted today will turn out into good player for TFC.

I would imagine the future of our MNT is more on the shoulder of guys like Johnson, Edgar, Peters and some other young guys in Europe but the depth of our MNT depends on the succes of guys like Asante and Gonsalves at the next level.

Absolutely. And I like the fact that TFC have an attack-minded Canadian on their roster at last with Gonsalves (everybody else they have drafted typically playing a defensive role for their previous clubs).

quote:Originally posted by canso

Right that was '03, not '05. Man it all blurs together on ya!

Andres Arango was impressive, where is he these days?

Certainly depth will come in handy, provided the MNT coach doesn't start picking domestics over better players overseas, ie Watson over Nsaliwa.

How much will that gap be closed by choosing Assante instead of Nsaliwa in two years time?

Well Nsaliwa isn't much older than Asante but has been a pro for over 5 years and has better size for a back. I'll take the incumbent in that pairing.

quote:Originally posted by canso

Winston Marshall was also on that back line with Attiba and Assante.

Who was the fourth, anyone remember?

Gonsalves get get his big chance to..."Impress the MLS!"

But are these guys really the future of our MNT?

They may or may not be future MNT players. However, I like their chances of developing into solid players for us a lot better with them in the TFC system than if they were playing in the USL/CSL or if they stopped playing competitive soccer entirely.

Precisely why TFC is good for the NMT. It will help us develop depth and create more competition for spots on the roster.

These kids who get drafted by TFC may never get capped but by playing a good quality of football, they are bound to get better, get invited to some camps and make the vets take their spots on the team more seriously for fear of losing them to hungry young players.

It's a win-win

Archived