Toronto FC try outs - media reaction

john tv

Guest Jeffery S.

The team has released the pre-season schedule, it is on the website. But not exactly big news, especially as everything will happen elsewhere except training.

Looks a bit thin on friendlies vs. strong teams, and don't see any home friendlies. Is that because the stadium won't be ready until the season actually starts? Will there not be an inaugural friendly, or will they wait for the first home league match?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rudi baseball,football,basketball and Hockey are always in the media. Hey if he is a druggy that will do.There are so many stories to be told if you want them. Rudi I know. I am counting the days in between articles. Sofar it appears that TFC gets great a response on the media conferences only. We need more.Maybe I maybe wrong but I can assure you I have been through this road and I know the media better than they know themselves when it comes to soccer.Rudi the media does not like soccer.They know how many phone calls they get,they know the letters they get and they know the impact of advertisers,the marketing guys and they know how the average Canadian feels about soccer and it ain't always nice and they know MLSE.( I tried to show how many kids that represent Canada have Canadian parents and you know the answer)It is like that across the board. We have to win over the average Canadian.

I think we should start a media watch on this board and ensure that we get equal treatment and that we should set the guidelines based upon the other sports media coverage.

I did start this as TFC on these tryouts and we should keep this alive. We must make sure we have the media pay attention. As a side note I spoke to Lissel and I mentioned the word media and she sounded frustrated already. Never asked any questiones but I knew. So I guess this media "the net" can be a god sent for all of us.We should plan to use it to support TFC,she can't do it alone,I know!

John,

Soccer cannot demand equal treatment, because quite frankly it hasn't earned it yet. A simple look at the ratings and attendances throughout North America for the Big Four pro sports (football, baseball, basketball, hockey) will tell you that those four eclipse every other team sport in interest amongst the masses on this continent.

Yes, soccer is growing, and yes soccer is far more popular now than 20 years ago, but it still has a long way to go before the average sports fan will see it as an equal to the established sports.

As I stated before, the media here has embraced TFC. You say that they only attend the media conferences but that is not true. Just this past Friday I read a half-page story in The Star about the signing of Abbe Ibrahim, and most of the papers gave fair coverage to the SuperDraft when it took place. I'll even bet that Neil Davidson's latest CP article on TFC gets picked up by at least two of the four major Toronto papers tomorrow.

Not a word as usual.Nothing all week in The Star.As I said before only media conferences seem to force the creeps to react. There is one today and they simply have no choice. Just wonder if we again will see a rookie or minor writer from The Star.Sofar none of the biggies have bothered to show up. Hey maybe there is a free meal it seems,but yes there is that phony super "howl" week,sorry that always comes first.

(Sigh) John, you just don't get it, do you?

I'm done trying to explain it to you. You're obviously too bitter and delusional towards the media to think rationally about it.

BTW, John here you go:

http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSports/2007/02/01/3497869-sun.html

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/176732

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070201.TORONTOFC01/TPStory/?query=soccer

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/sports/story.html?id=0634d80b-3b74-4aca-af76-454cae8f3c8d

That's a story each from ALL FOUR newspapers in Toronto today. [8)]

Rudi there was not a word in The morning Pickering edition Star today. maybe on the webb.There was an article in the Globe.

Besides there are now well in excess of 11000 season ticket holders so it appears that we maybe challencing even the all mighty Leafs for total season ticket holders and surpass all the others.There is a tremendous amount of interest obviously and we deserve a much better treatment we have already deserved it big time. Rudi I have been through this crap for many years and we must make sure it does not happen again.Yes it seems that there is a very good media interest only generated by media conferences. These season ticket holders want to know what is going on and since this team and stadium are and have created a lot of interest what we are getting is minimal compared to the others.Rudi I know that crappy Toronto media and they will not bent at all.If they do it will be full of resentment.We need the high profile writers and I will be very curious who was sent today and I will let you know.As I said sofar no one of any importance has showed up at any of the TFC media conferences with the exception of my very good friend George Gross.

I wonder if Gerry and or Craig will be there today.

Again to fall back on Neil Davidson as an excuse does not cut it.

John-you do realize that the suburb editions of the Star and Sun are different than the in-city version right?

I've seen entirely different front-page stories on the same day. Outlying areas need different versions so they can:

a)be published and distributed in time, and

b)be published to suit the audience they are geared toward

Sorry, that would be common sense, and you don't use that in your thought process (though you like to throw the words around like you DO understand what they mean).

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Rudi i have been through this crap for many years and we must make sure it does not happen again...

...what we are getting is minimal compared to the others.Rudi I know that crappy Toronto media and they will not bent at all...

If they do it will be full of resentment...

...As I said sofar no one of any importance has showed up at any of the TFC media conferences with the exception of my very good friend George Gross.

Do you still work in PR? I know you stalk the reporters by phone, but seriously-if this was your attitude and I was the editor making assignments or the reporter having to choose what to write or attend, I'd ignore you in a millisecond. A crap attitude and consistent badmouthing harms more than helps, john.

Your persistent negative attitudes do NOT help TFC or soccer when it comes to the media, despite what you may think.

There are members of the media browsing, even posting on, these boards, and the ones I know find your rants a joke, john. They laugh at you, then brush you off because of the attitude and hatred you show towards them.

I am smoking you out. Stop LM it is a waste of time. The media has nothing but the highest respect for me which I even on this board have prooven without fail. They listen and they react when I come up with a good story and they have for many years.When I say the highest respect that is what it is. I have no idea what you mean by stalking and I take this extremely serious either you back this up or legal action will be taken without fail. I am warning you!

Fine. You pester them a little much about stories that may not have interest to their overall audience. Better?

I do want to know if this level of respect entitles you to call them names or make references like "Jerkins", "that crappy Toronto media", "no one of any importance", "creeps", "that effen media", "Woolsey crap", "a very big problem", "an effen looser", "this jerk", as well as announce yourself as "the self proclaimed largest Toronto media basher"?

All of these, bar one, are your quotes from this thread alone, not mine.

• 4 weeks later...

Rudi sofar not a word in the Star about that training camp. These yo yos are in Florida covering the crap Sh.. j.The Globe did a marvelous job but Canada's most influential dick all. I guess Jerkins is having a bit of a chuckle,which I hate.

Stop defending these creeps hear!

Rudi sofar not a word in the Star about that training camp. These yo yos are in Florida covering the crap Sh.. j.The Globe did a marvelous job but Canada's most influential dick all. I guess Jerkins is having a bit of a chuckle,which I hate.

Stop defending these creeps hear!

I'll stop defending these "creeps" when you're actually right about them.

I don't have the time to scour the internet, but below is a link to a story that I read out of the paper edition of the Star just last week:

http://www.thestar.com/article/183989 (The print edition had a picture accompanying the story).

There have been more but as I said really don't feel like looking around for things that I know I've seen without much effort at all.

I am talking about the print media,those that still control this world.It is downright criminal that the Star has ignored this team while in Florida.As I said the Globe has done a good job,Star sucks big time, Jerkins must have an orgasm.

Hey! I'm trying to eat dinner here!!!! I've just totally lost my appetite. I'll never be able to eat Pizza Pizza's creamy garlic dip ever again!

But seriously JVK, can you try and be a bit more crude. I think we all want to see just how far you can go!

(BTW, press the space bar twice after the period (.) at the conclusion of a sentence. It's a good thing!)

In today's Sun:

quote:Casey plays waiting game

MLS dragging heels on making contract official

By DEAN MCNULTY, SUN MEDIA

United States international Conor Casey is enjoying his pre-season workouts with Toronto's freshly minted Major League Soccer side but he would like to be able to stick around with his new mates for the rest of the year.

Since the team announced its intention to sign the 25-year-old Denver native, who has played the past two seasons with FSV Mainz in the German Bundesliga, Casey has been in a sort of soccer limbo.

MLS requires that new player signings first be given a green light at the league's New York headquarters.

RULE

MLS has an allocation rule which allows any team which missed the playoffs in the previous year to get the first shot at any new players coming into the league.

As an expansion team, Toronto is No. 1 on the MLS list.

Toronto coach Mo Johnston said since there are no other teams in that position, getting Casey officially on board should be a formality.

The league, however, has delayed making a decision on Casey's future for reasons known only to it.

Yesterday as the team practised at the University of Toronto, Casey said he is starting to get a little impatient at the protracted nature of the MLS signing rule.

"I am a little bit frustrated," Casey said. "I have signed a contract with the league. I'm just waiting for them to make it official up here (in Toronto)."

Johnston won't speak on the record about the league's delay in allowing Casey to become part of the team, saying he is happy to have the 6-foot-1, 190-pound forward practising with the club.

Casey said he is working on the assumption that everything will work out and he will be playing for Toronto in the season-opener April 4 in California against Chivas USA.

"I'm enjoying the training and getting to know my new teammates," Casey said.

"I'm excited about the prospect of playing for a brand new club. We have a good bunch of guys."

Casey, who has been victimized by the injury bug since tearing an anterior cruciate ligament in 2005, said he is feeling good.

He played every minute of scrimmage yesterday and said he felt no ill effects.

"I know it's going to be hard work," Casey said.

"But it's going to be fun with a team that's starting from scratch.

NOTES

Fourth-round draft pick Jeffrey Gonsalves of Markham was back with Toronto FC yesterday, hoping to catch the eye of coaches who will determine which players will accompany the team back to Florida next week for the final pre-season practices ... Tongolese forward Abbe Ibrahim still is working on getting his visa issues cleared up and will not participate in this week's Toronto sessions.

Link

Archived