Toronto FC try outs - media reaction

john tv

I am extremely delighted to see the media reaction so far. I have not been to the soccer center and I wonder if any of our guys went or even tried out.Just like to get some feedback.I am extremely delighted with the media reaction and I am finally feeling that soccer is here to stay and that we will have an enormous blast at the BMO. Hey our dreams are being dealt with and I feel very very strongly that this is impossible to reverse. We just seem to have gathered enough strength to avoid any further media bias.I feel that the media have a huge problem to deal with and I wonder which media guru will be the first one to jump ship,I wonder who will be the first one to show up at the next media conference other than some rookies. We are here to stay and flourish and the media barons will have to come up with some ingenious way to again put the fear into Canadian parents.Who will jump ship first, any predictions?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We will see. Sofar none of the biggies have been at any of the TFC media conferences. Heck even the rookies are just that.I wonder what talk show will incorporate a soccer guy and I wonder how much it will hurt these guys to have to talk soccer.We will see. I suppose some crash courses would be advisable as well.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I am extremely delighted to see the media reaction sofar. I have not been to the soccer center and I wonder if any of our guys went or even tried out.Just like to get some feedback.I am extremely delighted with the media reaction and I am finally feeling that soccer is here to stay and that we will have an enormous blast at the BMO. Hey our dreams are being dealt with and I feel very very strongly that this is impossible to reverse. We just seem to have gathered enough strenght to avoid any further media bias.I feel that the media have a huge problem to deal with and I wonder which media guru will be the first one to jump ship,I wonder who will be the first one to show up at the next media conference other than some rookies. We are here to stay anf floorish and the media barrons will have to come up with some ingenious wayd to aagain put the fear into Canadian parents.Who will jump ship first, any predictions?

John you do have a valid point about a media bias in this country against soccer, especially Canadian soccer. Hopefully our national team, as well as TFC, can have some succsess and help to change some peoples minds. That way we might be able to see some positive reaction and not just the usual negetivity.

Wow finally some support from one of our guys. Feels good and very timely. Yes indeed it has been a disaster sofar and as it stands right now things are about to change and we can join the rest of the world as having soccer accepted as a major if not the major sport in Canada.I still wonder why it never was the case,since the rest of the world act,enjoys and feel that way.It is about time that we can appreciate the little guys shining instead of all that height or bulk.Anyway i am so delighted to see this obvious breakthrough developing and as i said before who will be first of the big boys to break away from that nasty habit of ignoring or belittling Canadian soccer.I do feel a little sorry for these guys they tried so hard and than this change,some bullit!

Guest speedmonk42

There is no media bias.

There also is no such thing as news.

They run a business and say what they are paid to say. Directly or indirectly.

They are paid what to say? Wow you got that right! Yes there is a tremendous media bias. It is sickening how bad it is.But it will change and in fact the writing is on the wall already.We are on our way as speedy as possible and no monk can stop us.They can pray allright, i wonder how that would work anyway.

I am just so happy after all these years(31) at least to realize that this is the real thing.This real thing is the awareness among the media that soccer is part of our Canadian fibric,that we are part of the big world picture and that the guys behind it are no push over, this is for real and this is a money thing,big time. The media ,the guys that have been fighting this development for years and i can assure you that this resentment against our sport was not only on the reporters desk ,but more importantly also the composing room. The room were decisions are made,in or out. The inns sometimes had the palms of their hands greased and our poor soccer reporter was left wondering what happened.

This dangerous play will have to be stopped,it is to big to screw around with.

So any kind of mouth,loud small or big no longer will be able to muzzle what we want,need,deserve and have the full rights to.The media will be torn apart and they will be rightfully demand what happened in the composing room,hey this is big time,MLSE and these guys have huge clouds.To big to f.... with.

So the chips are forming their frontal attack and it seems that this is an unstoppable and very exciting development.Yes I am having fun and yes I wonder if LM will come to grips with the potential collapse of the anti soccer media. I believe they will and my question will be who will fall first.

I'm not sure what most of you are mumbling about, but I've been impressed by the amount of coverage TFC has received the last few days. There's been stories in the Hamilton daily, the Kitchener daily, plus obviously the Toronto media. I've heard the TFC tryouts mentioned on a few radio stations, and I'm sure there's been more.

There's stories about Canadian soccer in December, in the mainstream press... when has that ever happened before? TFC tryouts are getting more press than what fourth-liner the Leafs should trade.

It's ironic *cough* that a completely meaningless tryout that they won't find one half-decent player, is getting more press then 10 years of Toronto Lynx soccer. Maybe it's not ironic, maybe just people who know what they're doing.

I have read and heard stories about kids coming from all over the world. Hey if nothing less they will be impressed with the facilities and full seize indoor soccer field and complex.It would be nice if a great story will develop. As I said I am delighted so far with the TFC media and hope this will continue.At the same time I am reading stories about the state of our hockey and primarily the state of hockey in the US. They are talking about rule and other changes.We live in a very volatile world and I hope this gets straighten out as well.

There was excellent media coverage for soccer in Canada right up untill about 1985 or so. Then the CSA systematically took over control and weeded out support from private entities and substantially wealthy soccer fans in our country.The power struggle ended soon after and the CSA had complete autonomy and there was no more attempts by private, corporate or media sectors to engage with the CSA or soccer in Canada.

This wasnt some kind of sport prejudice solely by the media against soccer.

The CSA made it so difficult, frustrating, and ludicrously expensive to engage with any soccer matter in Canada.This is one of the biggest things Linford will have to change if he wants sponsorship by the private sector.

There are a lot of enthusiastic soccer fans who are wealthy and influential people who cant stand the CSA because of their past interaction with them.

Thank goodness the Maple leafs are involved because they are the only entitty strong and smart enough to change some of the huge animosity these people have towards soccer.So you will seee some major improvement and media coverage now but for how long I am not sure.

But Linford needs to pull off the shackles of beurocracy and open up the gates of support without the ludicrous financial and egotistical strings webbing the entrance.There is no way out of this unless the powers that be see that this change is very evidently present.

These feelings and animosities were developed and cultivated by the CSA and a change of heart and attitude needs to be nurtured by everyone in the CSA.

You need to reconsider accusing the media and others for their lack of passion or enthusiasm towards soccer in Canada and start asking Linford and the CSA what there doing to encourage the relationships.

At the same time I am reading stories about the state of our hockey and primarely the state of hockey in the US. They are talking about rule and other changes.We live in a very volatile world and I hope this gets straighten out as well.

Worry pas John hockey will die in our generation and the media will have to cover soccer as it'll be the only Canadian sport left. ;)

Hockey never was or will be huge in the States. They just have lotsa..I mean lotsa money. So NHL will keep suckin' up.

But I'm glad your happy with the media so far with TFC. Although to be honest I haven't seen much on my TV or local papers about "our" national pro soccer team. If I didn't visit this board I'd have never heard of TFC[}:)]

The word about TFC just ain't gettin' out to the Boonies in Canada John.

I have been made aware of the shortcomings of the CSA when it comes to soccer and the media.But I am only speaking of the pro sports soccer teams when criticizing these fantom guys. An area that really does not include the CSA at all.In my years as the Blizzard pr guy and the North York Rockets it never ever crossed my mind or was expected to see the CSA involved and or be part of the promotion of any event.

I would like to have seen the CSA appoint local media guys that had a closer contact with the localites and in events such as the national team. I often was not a happy camper since I always felt that I could have done a better job at it.So the National teams a very big maybe,but on the pro side a no.

I still believe that my idea to appoint a local PR guy to promote the National teams is a very good one.It seems easier the personal contacts are established and the working relationship much easier, never mind the distances involved and time differences as well.

That would be my recommendations to the CSA and Linford in particular.

I believe with the cloud of TFC it would even be a good idea to have them promote any event involving our MNT or WNT.They could charge back the expenses to the CSA and I am sure that this would be an extremely professional job and certainly would please the TFC as well knowing that the PR is fully covered and don't have to worry about distances availability and personalities as well. Plus they will have eastablishes all the proper contacts including all media and clubs etc.

I just want to comment on something I found kind of funny on TSN last night.

They were doing some top 5 or 10 moments of the year

at #2 was the Zidane head butt, I didn't stick around to see what was #1, but honestly what could beat their #2? It might've been something in the olympics, but that'd be purely from a canadian perspective.

anyway, not that they didn't have good points as their comments could've applied to any sport, but I sort of laughed when you had Glen Healy, Brian burke, that nfl prediction guy, discussing this incident. I just found it amusing. I'd equivalate that sort of attention to the american media taking notice of the Bertuzzi shot on Moore.

I also watched McGowan last night giving it to soccer big time His just about hatred for soccer is revolting and he expressed that very clearly.I thought that Steven Brunt looked a little embarressed as well.

One day this jerk will be brought to his senses.Why is he allowed to occupy this position showing his extreme negative feelings about soccer. I guess the only answer is that his viewers share his observations as well.

I also watched McGowan last night giving to soccer big time His just about hatred for soccer is revolting and he expressed that very clearly.I thought that Steven Brunt looked a little embarressed as well.

One day this jerk will be brought to their senses.Why is he allowed to occupy this position showing his extreme negative feelings about soccer. i guess the only answer is that his viewers share his observations as well.

Obviously his few on soccer is annoying but that aside, his show is the finest sports radio program on the air in Toronto. It's a quality item with quality guests.

.... and obviously his viewers / listeners don't share his view as if they did, none of us would be watching / listening to his programs and this topic of discussion wouldn't exist.

db

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Let's call this what it is... a shameless money making exercise with some pre-planned media benefits.

Exactly what soccer needs in Canada. Good on TFC. Hopefully, the Caps and Impact are taking notes.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Let's call this what it is... a shameless money making exercise with some pre-planned media benefits.

From the huge amount of media attention it got here in Toronto, I'd saythere was nothing "shameless" about it.

It seems that we have some jealousy in the air.....TFC isn't the first pro club to offer that kind of tryouts and they did well getting some media attention.

Now the real test will be on the field but so far they look professionnal in their organisation. I hope they'll sign a few more canadians internationals before the start of the season.

Being the self proclaimed largest Toronto media basher,I was the one who recognized that this TFC team is going to change the face of soccer and it's acceptance among these anti soccer gurus. I don't call it being annoyed more or less downright piss..o.and this Bobby baby will fall as will others. The soccer writing is on the wall and since we live in a society were money talks this bias will disappear.If not we Voyageurs could be guilty of letting it happen,which I doubt very much.

As far as these try outs I feel that it is a little suspect but I have seen so many scemes from other sports that it does not matter. If they just find one I guess the question is why was he not recognized sooner. I suppose somebody is going to strenghten the communications among all coaches and certainly betweeen the variuos Universities and colleges in Canada.

I agree that not only signing Canadians but put all the emphasis on Canadian players.When I look at that list we publish regulary hey we seem to have hundreds of well qualified Canadian players .I wonder if Mo is aware of the stats we are keeping.I guess we should e-mail this thing or I suppose since Paul is reading this board as well and he is aware of all of them I suppose.

Another three months and this thing is for real and that stadium is going to be a magnet second to none in Canada and Bobby will be sweating it out,McGowan that is.

I already feel sorry for that guy,such an effen looser!

Merry Xmas guys and the above lines are Xmas presents in the making for the new year so all the best we deserve it big time.

First, I disagree that the media has any bias against soccer. It´s all about business and if Canadian soccer becomes good business, the media will be there to take advantage. The media does not lead, it follows.

MLSE´s participation is important to Canadian soccer because it is a professional sports entertainment business. It has a solid reputation for making money and that´s why the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan is involved with them. If they can make money in Canadian soccer, there will be other investors who will jump in with other teams as well.

About open tryouts, it is very common here in Sao Paulo for professional clubs to hold open tryouts. It is said that Kaka joined Sao Paulo FC´s professional ranks at 13 through an open tryout. However, in his case, I doubt he was unknown as his parents were members (and probably still are) of the parent athletic club. Open tryouts are common because, outside of Sao Paulo FC, clubs don´t have money to run fully developed youth systems and it is far easier (and less expensive) to grab a few 18 year olds when they are closer to being developed. Having said that, the big clubs do monitor players in the city and each has its own network of loyal club supporters who will make them aware if they are not.

Well it is very well known among every soccer fan that the media has been a very big problem over the years.Can't think of any who does not feel this way.These try outs are indeed a very big thing in Holland and Ajax among orher clubs are well known to promote and advertise their try outs. This applies to very young players and housing and schooling will be provided if they qualify. I suppose Jonathan Deguzman is a prime example with Feyenoord.

I guess the TFC tryouts were geared towards the older players since a youth system as in Europe does not "yet" exist.

I wonder if TFC are adopting the same youth phylosophy as all the other world teams have. I hope they will and find some way to develop their own home grown players. At the time of the Blizzard we had a second team,which was very usefull for many reasons.

Archived