Toronto FC try outs - media reaction

john tv

Johntv "I have been made aware of the shortcomings of the CSA when it comes to soccer and the media.But I am only speaking of the pro sports soccer teams when criticizing these fantom guys. An area that really does not include the CSA at all."

The two are unfortunately bound tightly.And the CSA has made sure nothing goes on professional or amateur without their hands in the pot. By itself I have no problem and encourage the CSA getting a piece. The individuals who control the CSA have demonstrated such ludicrous avarice and autonomy, it has caused huge rifts and gaps between themselves the media and the big money.

Go and ask any soccer fan in Canada with money JohnTV who has dealt with the CSA they will tell you first hand why soccer in Canada is curtailed so vigilantly.The same reason any young player with talent leaves Canada to ensure they dont have to deal with the CSA is the same reason money and media dont deal with the CSA either.

And I reiterate:

You need to reconsider accusing the media and others for their lack of passion or enthusiasm towards soccer in Canada and start asking Linford and the CSA what there doing to encourage the relationships.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I have said before soccer is still a minority sport as well as a threat against the N.A. sports. This crazy thing, to think that these feelings exist,but they do.I can truthfully say that all my Canadian friends and workers are not interested in soccer at all.I mean not even one of them.Maybe you guys have a different experience,but this is mine.Even my son who played a lot of soccer ,knows my passion etc,could not careless,hey it is football,basketball while baseball and hockey to a lesser extend and so are his friends.

I don't know what the CSA can do about that. I believe it is a matter of time before we can see that exposure,acceptance and even areal part of our sports fabric.

The CSA is located in Ottawa and I have said this before that maybe they should consider setting up a network of media guys in all the major cities ,rather than trying to run this from Ottawa.

The CSA is not involved in the direct promotion of pro soccer and I don't believe they have a mandate or manpower to do so.I believe that it is strictly up to the pro teams to look after the inns and outs,marketing,advertising and promotions.

It would be very helpfull for the CSA to keep track of all our boys abroad and I have suggested that the likes of Lensky and Edgar maybe the CSA could develop some plan to highlite or keep the media informed,just being the angle as a player of the National team.

We still have a very long way to go and watching McGowan last night seing that intense dislike of our game and him having this high popularity it is still a very rockey road ahead.I also do believe that we have turned that corner and not even those that are in the media and feel the same way as Mcgowan can stop it any longer.

JohnTV, where I work, there is a ton of passionate soccer fans, although I can honestly say that most of them have only modest interest in Canadian soccer. Many of them are intrigued by TFC coming to town and the construction of BMO Field. They will also watch the odd MNT match but often feel disappointed by the quality of the play compared to what they are used to watching from Italy, France, UK, etc...

as for Bob McCowan, don't pay any attention to him. He is popular (I listen to him nightly) but his whole anti-soccer position is mostly for show. He feeds off the hatred soccer fans have for him and he then plays up the anti-soccer thing even more. The man is a radio "personality". His position on soccer has never made me waver from my passion. The people who agree with him will likely never love the game anyway and he makes the true footie fans more passionate because the feel the game is under attack.

I don't know of anyone in my circles who watches EPL soccer.I feel like a real odd ball even trying to bring it up,The ones that watch our game are always born outside Canada.My drinking buddies and there are about 10 to 15 guys I see weekly only one is a soccer fan and a leeds fan because he was born there.It just does not exist so far.I do believe that maybe secretly they may wonder what is happening and may even watch our game trying to understand it. Yes it is vitally important that we feature our own Canadian team. All these write ups and exposure of our MNT players and the upcoming u-20 will be the chance of a life time to turn this around. I also really whish that Jonathan would be part of our team. I have always taken the viewpoint that he decides and that I will respect his choice,but I also would love to see him and Lensky out there.This would be so magic our Feyenoord midield. Hey even Holland will be cheering for us big time and the media will be here as well.The potential is enormous and the team will be the strongest team ever on paper and the timing of it all as wel as the place all dream stuff.It will be amazing this summer and even those that I know and drink with will be watching and cheering for our team in a sold out in red stadium.I am hoarse allready.

Hey guys you may not be aware of this but you are in the middle of a king size revolution.The media bastions that fought the emergence of soccer are collapsing. They are on the run,believe me.Must be the charm or utter determination of Lissel.These guys at MLSE are using their immense power and the media knowing that power are surrendering.We are going to have a ball big time.All we have to do is to organize to make this one amazing experience.Singing is the heart and sole of soccer.

In case you are wondering why I seem so exhited,well there was that article in the Star that told me a thousand stories,it is happening finally. Woopie!!!

Garth is at it again,Woolsey the Toronto Star and former soccer writer that is.

He wrote,Americans don't produce many star soccer players,either,which may explain why they mostly don't give a damn about that sport,too....

I am feeling woozy,is there an antidote for Beckham feever?

--

He is his old Wooz-sly allright.

The headline of his column

EURO-BASHING CHERRY HAS SOME T.V. COMPANY.

SUB TITLE

NHL NEEDS FEWER EUROS,REAUGH SAYS.

It goes on,Damn those Europeans ,they're ruining hockey!

-----------

Well well,I guess the haters are still fighting ,using whatever they can get away with.

Guest Jeffery S.

Read somewhere that Galaxy is also going to do open trials soon. Think I read that they will ask 120 bucks to try out. Wonder if this is inspired in the media reaction and financial benefits of the Toronto experience, or if it is a normal thing to do, do open trials so that S. Cal. kids might realistically have a chance of playing alongside Beckham in a few months? Sounds a bit dubious to me, and not very up front.

I think you will find that many MLS teams will do open tryouts now that thye are required to build academies. They can get some publicity and identify local talent on the cheap (rather than having to send scouts out to all sorts of local men's and youth league matches/practices).

I am willing to bet that TFC identified 10-20 potential academy players (if not more) out of their tryouts. Mo actually indicated on the Fan590 this week that he drafted Richard Assante as a result of his performance at the open tryout but could not say anything because he was available in the Superdraft.

Is this lmt or something. I am sick and tired of people trying to defend that effen madia.So don't get me started ,pills or no pils, anything intelligent to say ok lets' have it.For starters why no media at all this week end.There were several media releases and or stories could be found. All we got is that racoon stuff from Woolsey crap.We have to stand up guys this is what is what it is all about. We have to be in the media. It is bad enough that soccer central disappeared and I am stunned that not one of you even said a word. You should be all ashamed of yourselves. The voice of soccer gone and not an effen word. I suppose LM must be in his heaven.

John, while I won't defend the Toronto media's treatment of soccer, I will say that the loss of Soccercentral is not that big of a deal in my view because it was basically nothing more than a highlight show and Fox Sports World does a better job of it with their nightly report.

I know for a fact though that Sportsnet is still going to be running soccer feature stories that will air on Sportsnet Connected. Gerry Dobson and Craig Forrest are in the UK right now filming a bunch of features that will start airing in the next few weeks. I know one of the stories will be about David Edgar...not sure about the other stories but Dobson said he was going to be in Englad for 5 days so I imagine they will do more than a single story on Edgar in 5 days.

Also MoJo said that last Wednesday, TFC hosted a media meet 'n greet and they had a very good turnout and he says that he is quite pleased with the overall media treatment TFC has received. MLSE knows how to treat the media (Step 1: keep them well fed and they will be subservient) and I am pretty sure that, long term, the Toronto media will be supportive, especially if the stadium is full and the product on the field is good.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Stop defending the media LM you look like a fool! as usual.Who are you, are you being paid to do your sleazy job,or I am curious how you would worm yourself out of this one!Grow up.

So, the media should just make up stuff in order to fulfill your demand for X percentage of daily soccer coverage, otherwise they're conspiring to kill soccer in Canada?

You get angry over the simplest of questions. Can you answer my previous one?

You are getting the drift,slow but surely. There were some announcements regarding TFC and not a word and yes we demand that we are being informed dailey. I am sick and tired of all that meaningless USA poo hah. It is not what we need or want. We want dailey info on TFC.I am so convinced that you are that wollf and that coat. Who the f. are you, do I have to smoke you out. Sofar yoyur responses have been typical dancing lessons,who are you LM I will stay on top of you as long as it takes because I know!

Know what?

As for dancing, you still haven't answered my original question. What big announcement warranted a big story? Ibrahim? That was Thursday. Friday paper material.

Season tickets at 11,000? Even you, with your PR 'expertise', should know that a release has to have a hook, meaning, relevancy, or an actual story in order to receive consideration for publication. I'm sure Michelle Lissel also understands this.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Know what?

As for dancing, you still haven't answered my original question. What big announcement warranted a big story? Ibrahim? That was Thursday. Friday paper material.

There was a decent-sized story in the Toronto Star on Friday about the Ibrahim acquisition.

The Toronto media have embraced TFC, with good coverage of all of the team's signings so far. I'm sure as the season gets closer we will see more coverage, but right now there isn't much to cover.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Thank you for what. I said the week end and zilch is that clear,zilch.

John, there was nothing to report.

Would you have the media make stories up just to appease your appetite for TFC?

Archived