CSL 2007

Bxl Boy

A thread to discuss the new and future improved Major Ontario League pretending to be Canadian...

Rumours coming from usldiscussions (http://www.usldiscussions.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=60;t=000095)

1)As of next year players will not be paid players still under contract will get there money but thats it.New players will not get paid.

1a)The main reason for this is two fold alot of teams are on the brink due to lack of fan support.With players not getting paid theis will give to a equal playing field.Second the league had to turn away alot of ncaa players due to this ncaa rule where they can't play on pro leagues.

2)The csl will be going with a 14 game schedule

this was a request by many teams so they could play in tournemants and play exh games.

3)No teams in the csl turned a profit last year many lost money.

4)The canada open cup is no more. There will be a open cup but the csl will not run it.

Maybe can the commissionner of the league confirm or deny these rumours.

Then I hope the CSL does something to reduce the ridiculously expensive cost of joining the league since if these reports are correct it is becoming just like most other elite amateur provincial/regional leagues around the country, if it was ever really anything different.

That post at the USL forum is by a member named "jaymo". My money is on that it's the same guy around here named jay-something or other who seems to have a real hate for the CSL for some reason.

What he posted makes no sense. Actually, maybe then it is true.

Under NCAA rules, I don't think they can have some players that get paid, and some that don't.

Why would they want to play in tournaments and exhibitions? And against who?

Unless private owners who actually have money invest (more like donate), or the bigger youth clubs convince the parents that they are more than just a day care, this league ain't going anywhere.

Youth clubs - I think Burlington or Oakville has something like 8 000 kids registered. If they convinced the parents to pay $20 per kid more in registration fee, that's $160 000. That's more than PDL budgets. Plus a couple sponsors and other income, and it's a nice start. I know there's absolutely no chance.

Besides the Serbs, and maybe Windsor, not one other team in the CSL right now deserves to be there.

Maybe at some point TFC wakes up and realizes they need some sort of development system to fill the gap for players between the youth leagues and MLS. The Impact and Whitecaps are nice farm teams, but they need teams in Ontario as well.

• 2 months later...
quote:Originally posted by Daniel

The CSL needs to drop the name.

Agreed... My Canada includes: British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland & Labrador.

Not just Ontario & Quebec.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

No teams in Newfoundland/Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Nunavut, North West Territories, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Yukon eh? Well I expect you'll demand the Canadian Football League change its name?

You seem to be missing the point.......

wow..first everyone is fighting for the CPSL to drop the P...so its done..

now you guys are fighting about the C in the CSL..

well if u have not heard the CSL is currently in a building state. This league is not going to expand across Canada and go bell up due to travel cost ect.

what u guys have to understand is what the CSL is...its now a III Division league. they are doing what they can to improve the league but i believe these types of league are vital to the overall developement of canadian soccer.

in the last few years we have seen the CSL take major steps forward starting of with the addition to the well supported windsor border star and toronto eagles..the weeding out of bad ownership groups (hamilton thunder), the buzz around the CSL open cup and the able to create ties with USL D1 teams..i'm really looking forward to see how this new time in quebec does with the impact running them.

the CSL might one day be a nation wide league..maybe that will take 20 more years but this league has lasted longer than many people have thoughts... lets lay off the name changing and support this league the best we can.

I don't think anybody has too much criticism of what the CSL is trying to achieve - build a regional third division league in Ontario and Western Quebec then use that model for other similar such regional leagues across the country. This is all good stuff and worthwhile and we wish them well. Trouble is the original 'professional' tag was misleading and they dropped it eventually. The 'Canadian' tag is equally misleading because it implies a national or almost national league which it is not and likely never will be according the the commissioner himself so it should go too, for the same reasons as they dropped 'professional'.

quote:Originally posted by Raven

Agreed... My Canada includes: British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland & Labrador.

Not just Ontario & Quebec.

But is there anything preventing teams in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland & Labrador From joining the league? My guess to that question is NO, there isn't. Perhaps they named it as such in the hope of eventually expanding but nobody outside on QC and Ont has demonstrated and interest.. That is the problem with alot areas in Canada outside of the places that have an existing pro team; there is no proven interest in soccer. I am not sure why we make fuss over the name of this league. What counts is that it is an amateur/semi pro league.

There is an indoor league seemingly starting up in the Prairies that is going to call itself the Canadian league. Its a smart move as well, that way you are not limiting yourself..

• 5 months later...

Hilton, Ninkovic All Star coaches

TORONTO – Tuesday, July 17 - The inaugural CSL All Star game between the National Conference and International Conference is scheduled for Windsor Stadium on Saturday evening, July 28, a 7.30 p.m. kickoff and the CSL has announced the appointment of the respective coaches.

Pat Hilton of Windsor Border Stars (National Conference) and Sinisa Ninkovic of Serbian White Eagles (International Conference) will take charge of the teams and both have outstanding careers as players before moving into coaching.

Hilton played 10 years professionally in England, having signed for a number of clubs including Blackburn Rovers and West Bromwich Albion and is listed as the youngest ever to play in the Southern League when he turned out for Folkstone in 1970 at the age of 15.

The Kent-born Hilton holds a UEFA “A” coaching licence, he has coached for 11 years in the United States and after entering the CSL with Windsor Border Stars was voted by the member clubs as ‘Coach of the Year’ in 2004.

Ninkovic has an oustanding playing career in his native Serbia including Partizan Belgrade, Zeleznik Belgrade and Hajduk Belgrade of the Serbian Premier Division. He played 10 times for the Yugoslavian U-21 National Team and was one of a number of professionals brought to Canada from Europe by Serbian White Eagles to kickoff the team’s 2006 entry in the Canadian Soccer League.

Ninkovic has strong coaching credentials from Europe and also holds diplomas as a Senior Manager in Sports and Soccer Trainer.

Pat Hilton and Sinisa Ninkovic are expected to finalize their All Star roster selections for an announcement on July 19.

Canadian Soccer League

The Soccer Centre, 7601 Martin Grove Road, Vaughan, Ontario L4L 9E4

Tel: 905 856-5439 Fax: 905 856-9325 e-mail: csl@canadiansoccerleague.ca www.canadiansoccerleague.ca

Archived