Maple Ridge Times: Promises Made, Promises Broken

Winnipeg Fury

Marinko has been training with the Mens First team Whitecaps since he came back to town in May. He played with the whitecaps reserves during the summer also and now is training and playing with Croatia SC in the Vancouver premier league. Thats only for now until he goes back overseas for trial.

Wow words of wisdom for a Canadian university soccer player. Your a moron. Great quote I'm sure that will be on a serial box someday or will be adapted by the CIS as their official slogan. Soccer isn't demanding here, thats why just about no one has any kind of career playing soccer after university in Canada

Sorry If i did't say in school to for an extra 2 years like your friends to learn internet chat board quoting.

quote:Originally posted by Regs

Any sport at the university level should be demanding on a student athlete - if not they you certainly weren't a very dedicated athlete.

Go back to school and learn how to quote.

~Crusty.

For the record soccerpro, if attending one of only 3 universities in british columbia with accredited social work bachelor degrees is clown college then so be it. ignoring the fact i already mentioned the majority - probably 90% - of the students in the program have families and full time jobs on top of their education. ;)

BACK TO MARINKO:

g-men - sounds like he is continuing his career quite steadfastly and this is very promising. i will pass the information along. you mentioned an overseas trial? is this confirmed or just a hope? if confirmed, with which club(s)?

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

For the record soccerpro, if attending one of only 3 universities in british columbia with accredited social work bachelor degrees is clown college then so be it. ignoring the fact i already mentioned the majority - probably 90% - of the students in the program have families and full time jobs on top of their education. ;)

Huh? 90% of university students have families? Most first year students are 18-19 years old. It's insane to think that most of them are already married with children.

The only full time students that have trouble graduating in the allotted time are those who are too busy partying and/or they don't take their studies seriously enough. Which does happen to a lot of students who get a big shock that university won't be the cake-walk that high school was.

Also, unless you've done engineering/maths/sciences in university, you can't even begin to understand what a real school workload is.

90% of students don't have famalies, go to a unversity and tell me what % of students are mature students with famalies, probably no more than 20%. The only people that work full time and go to university are executive MBA students. University is only difficult to people who party 5 nights a week and drink their face off. I played university soccer and was in Law school last year, and I still had lots of time, and im an average student. Playing a varsity sport just means prioritising your free time. I dont understand how only committing 2 hours a weeknight and a few weekends early on in first term before most exams and hard work comes is so difficult. Theres 24 hours in a day. Most kids have class for no more than 5 hours on a given day. Add another 2 hours for soccer and thats 7 hours. You still have 17 hours for sleep and homework. So say you have 9 hours for sleep you still have 8 hours for home work every single school day not including weekends when u have even more time. You guys have some serious delusions regarding Canadian University athletes. The only people it takes to get a 5 year degree are people who refuse to take 5 courses a semester and have a ridiculasly easy workload of 3 or 4 courses. I played soccer with guys who took 6 courses and graduated early. The only people who can't do it are either lazy or have no self belief.

BACK TO MARINKO:

g-men - sounds like he is continuing his career quite steadfastly and this is very promising. i will pass the information along. you mentioned an overseas trial? is this confirmed or just a hope? if confirmed, with which club(s)?

90% of students don't have famalies, go to a unversity and tell me what % of students are mature students with famalies, probably no more than 20%. The only people that work full time and go to university are executive MBA students. University is only difficult to people who party 5 nights a week and drink their face off. I played university soccer and was in Law school last year, and I still had lots of time, and im an average student. Playing a varsity sport just means prioritising your free time. I dont understand how only committing 2 hours a weeknight and a few weekends early on in first term before most exams and hard work comes is so difficult. Theres 24 hours in a day. Most kids have class for no more than 5 hours on a given day. Add another 2 hours for soccer and thats 7 hours. You still have 17 hours for sleep and homework. So say you have 9 hours for sleep you still have 8 hours for home work every single school day not including weekends when u have even more time. You guys have some serious delusions regarding Canadian University athletes. The only people it takes to get a 5 year degree are people who refuse to take 5 courses a semester and have a ridiculasly easy workload of 3 or 4 courses. I played soccer with guys who took 6 courses and graduated early. The only people who can't do it are either lazy or have no self belief.

BACK TO MARINKO:

quote:Originally posted by Soccerpro

I don't study for 8 hours a day, no one does, that's just all the time you have to do whatever including school work. Although I'm sure somebody in this thread who thinks B.C has the most challanging university system on the planet will say they studied for 8 hours a day.

Good luck in the real world if you think you can get away with no more than 8 hours a day of work. And any serious, meaningful university programme will demand far more than an average 8 hours a day of effort from any student that expects to graduate.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Have you guys *been* to university lately?

My son recently graduated from Simon Fraser University with a double major in business admin and economics. He was a student athlete on full scholarship, a member of the Olympic/National U-20 player pool and a four year starter on the SFU team plus he worked fulltime during the summers for a local accounting firm. He is now a chartered accountant but I can assure you, even for him it was no cakewalk.

It is disappointing to learn there are Canadian universities that run programs where being a student athlete apparently is so easy.

Wow, interesting discussion. Like I've said earlier in this thread I played 2 yrs of varsity soccer while at Law school and had no problems doing both since the soccer season isn't very demanding due to the short season.

Like Soccerpro said, its a question of organization and seriousness. I've graduated in 3 yrs and didn't failed any classes.

I think the average CIS soccer player should be graduating on time. Of course if someone has a family or other problems (like money) then he should take an extra year or two.

I was in university to study and soccer happenened to be a nice addition and I did enjoy it a lot.

i wish you guys would read more carefully - on two occassions i've made it clear i was speaking specifically about the program i was in and not college students in general. THUS, the majority of students i know are what they like to refer to these days as "mature" students (a nice way of saying, not generally between the ages of 18-22!)

i don't think anyone suggested BC was the most challenging university system.

"Theres 24 hours in a day. Most kids have class for no more than 5 hours on a given day. Add another 2 hours for soccer and thats 7 hours. You still have 17 hours for sleep and homework. So say you have 9 hours for sleep you still have 8 hours for home work every single school day not including weekends when u have even more time." (soccerpro, 2006)

that's an interesting statement. according to this no student you know eats, cleans, goes out, shops, hits the library to gather information, talks on the phone, answers emails ETC ETC.

"a ridiculously easy workload of 3-4" (2006) is not so easy when you have a full-time job and a family, and are required to do a 350 hour practicum for which you have the great pleasure of paying for the privilege to partake in and not see a penny in return. oh but there is of course the benefit of a ridiculously low paying, high-stress gov't job at the end! :)

The discussion has so far ignored the fact of missed classes as a result of inevitable travel and while the CIS season may be short, at some schools the soccer teams function throughout the school year, running soccer schools, undertaking charitable work, coaching etc. It is not just four hours of practise a week plus a weekend game on the home field for three months. Well not at the schools I know in BC anyway, obviously different elsewhere.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I think the average CIS soccer player should be graduating on time. Of course if someone has a family or other problems (like money) then he should take an extra year or two.

CIS graduation rates are far better than what the NCAA has hence there's been no push for full scholarship plans ala the latter.

There are some CIS players who play through their full eligability and finish their student carrers with at least a Master Degree.

speaking of not reading carefully

" I don't study for 8 hours a day, no one does, that's just all the time you have to do whatever including school work."

i wish you guys would read more carefully - on two occassions i've made it clear i was speaking specifically about the program i was in and not college students in general. THUS, the majority of students i know are what they like to refer to these days as "mature" students (a nice way of saying, not generally between the ages of 18-22!)

i don't think anyone suggested BC was the most challenging university system.

"Theres 24 hours in a day. Most kids have class for no more than 5 hours on a given day. Add another 2 hours for soccer and thats 7 hours. You still have 17 hours for sleep and homework. So say you have 9 hours for sleep you still have 8 hours for home work every single school day not including weekends when u have even more time." (soccerpro, 2006)

that's an interesting statement. according to this no student you know eats, cleans, goes out, shops, hits the library to gather information, talks on the phone, answers emails ETC ETC.

"a ridiculously easy workload of 3-4" (2006) is not so easy when you have a full-time job and a family, and are required to do a 350 hour practicum for which you have the great pleasure of paying for the privilege to partake in and not see a penny in return. oh but there is of course the benefit of a ridiculously low paying, high-stress gov't job at the end! :)

Archived