Julian de Guzman at Depor 2006/07

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian will be back in training soon as Depor is still busy in the markets trying to offload and sign players.

Good news is that he has not appeared in any rumours, and indeed while all the pieces in the team are being played around with, only other names from the more holding or non-attacking midfield are coming up. Fellow mid and potential rival Acuña, with Paraguay in the WC, is slated to be transferred out. Sergio Gónzalez was rumoured to want to return to Espanyol but they could not pay his salary, so he will likely stay, but Depor was willing to sell him. Duscher is still being sought out by other sides, esp in England.

New signings for Deportivo for the upcoming season include defender Lopo (Espanyol), Pablo Álvarez (from Sporting), Riki (a good striker from Getafe), Bodipo a striker from Osasuna I think, and Cristian Hidalgo, a second striker or attacking mid from Barça's B team. They are thinking of picking up Aouate, the Israeli keeper, though the Croatian keeper at the WC is also a possibility (Pletikosa or something like that?). They are also negotiating for a Spanish u-19 at Liverpool, Barragán.

Defender César, outside back Romero and veteran keeper Molina are all heading out, while many 2nd division sides are looking at Momo, a young striker. Sporting Lisbon is rumoured to want a loan deal for Diego Tristan. The team will still need a creative mid, especially until Valerón is back from his long injury, and better strikers, as they are signing truly 2nd and 3rd grade stuff.

Okay, all this is only for those really interested, but I am just going through it all to emphasize that there has been zero interest to support Julian's normal position and some even to take away from their options, meaning they are betting, and strongly, on him to succeed. I am more confident about him than about the club itself with these new faces, I do not see any chance of even thinking about coming down with a Champions spot.

Edit (really addendum): on the Depor chat boards someone came up with the idea of signing the little brother, has been posting clips of his play. This is interesting since for all the press we get about European football I have yet to see an article in Spain on the little bro Jono, while I have seen things published on Kalou or Kuyt, teammates.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jeffery S.

Julian scored last night in a 0-3 win over Lepe in a Depor pre-season game. Ten new players were used in the match, including youth team and new signings. As in other years the team has too many players on the squad, and is still trying to find a place for Duscher, who was even rumoured to go to Real Madrid, and Tristán, the veteran striker.

The whole team will be young this season, as apart from Cristian Hidalgo from Barça youth they have picked up a Madrid youth defender, Arbeloa. The good news for the team, but maybe not so much for Julian, is that the attacking mid Valeron has come back from a 6 month injury and will surely be a big factor this year in the middle, obliging Julian to stay in the holding role.

Jeffrey,

thanks for the info on Julian. Apart from the recent goal, can you give me some idea of Julian's offensive capabilities? I know he has alot of talent in general, but I thought that he was really a defensive mid, while his brother was the offensive star. Does he have great offensive talent, with team circumstances putting him in the defensive role? I only ask because when trying to construct a Canada starting XI, I'm not sure how best to use him.

I imagine that Julian and Jonathan could work well together, but I'm not sure about Jonathan transfering to Depor as I want him to pick Canada in order to play with his brother. Of course, any move to get him out of Holland, ideally without requiring him to get a European passport, would be great.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian was played up the right side quite a bit in a 4-3-3 for Depor last year, and was quite successful I thought. Indeed his dribble is good in the attacking zone, he follows the play forward well, and he has a decent shot. Scored that great goal at home vs. Madrid, make me doubley happy.

I actually thought he was more interesting going forwards than holding, as he has some irritating habits, like falling back too quickly, not anticipating and pressuring the person receiving the pass, attacking the ball. When he had to man-mark he was not always so successful, for example Riquelme tore him and his mates apart in a home loss to Villareal. But he is pegged as a holding mid because of his workrate and physical strength. I think that is where we will see him mostly this year, and as long as Depor is doing okay up front he'll likely stay there.

Caparrós tends to use a lot of players, he could fall in and out of grace like last year, but I think they have a lot of hope in him.

Guest Jeffery S.

That is Gallego by the way, which is a type of old Portuguese as spoken in the region of Galicia.

From those images it looks like Julian was being used where Valerón would play behind the strikers. And had a hand in all the goals, though the team was a fourth tier side.

(Come to Spain Daniel and you'll find your Figueroa for sure)

Guest Jeffery S.

Depor has a tougher rival tonight in Benfica, while they go up against Sporting Lisbon tomorrow, in a tournament being held in the south of Portugal, in Vila Real de Santo Antonio. The Lisbon teams played each other last night.

Two games in two nights will mean playing time for everyone. They say another good show the other night was by Cristian, who is a striker who normally plays behind someone further up. Again, another rival for Julian in the attacking spot.

Aside comment: former Depor second keeper Dani Mallo went to Sporting Braga, who were looking for a young keeper. I know for sure that Dani Fernandes at Paok was also on their list of possible signings at Braga, who qualified for UEFA this year.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian came on 2nd half for Depor, who beat Benfica Friday night on an early goal. They played with mostly starters -a goalkeeper I don't know named McKay, no relation to their ex-striker Roy- and made just five subs.

Bad news is that Valerón seems to have damaged the same ligament he broke, the cruciate, meaning he'll have to go more slowly before starting to play competitively.

Right now they are starting to play Sporting Lisbon in the final match of that southern Portugal tournament, with De Guzman in the starting line-up and another unknown in goal, according to Portuguese online sources:

DEPORTIVO

Fabricio; Manuel Pablo, Lopo, Rodri and Capdevilla; Juan Rodríguez; Estoyanoff, De Guzman, Cristian, Munitis; Arizmendi

Subs: Mackay, Sergio, Iago, Riki, Pablo, Marcos, Bochela and Juan

Coach: Joaquim Caparrós

Guest Jeffery S.

De Guzman played to being subbed out m. 84 as holding mid as Depor lost 1-0 to Sporting. The injury to Valerón is serious, he has redamaged the cruciate ligament and will miss at least four more months, leaving Depor needing someone to really connect up the mids and the strikers, same problem for most of last season.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Two games in two nights will mean playing time for everyone. They say another good show the other night was by Cristian, who is a striker who normally plays behind someone further up. Again, another rival for Julian in the attacking spot.

It seemed to me that whenever I watched Depor play any attack went through Munitis. With him off to Santander now, do you think that opens up some space for Julian or will he stay more defensively minded?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

It seemed to me that whenever I watched Depor play any attack went through Munitis. With him off to Santander now, do you think that opens up some space for Julian or will he stay more defensively minded?

Munitis is a bit upset at being forced to go to Racing in exchange for the keeper Aouate, the Israeli starter. Not because of the club, as he is from the region and is very connected to Santander, but because it seems like an imposition. Caparrós the coach is also not too happy about it.

Depor have signed Verdú, another from Barça youth though in his early 20s, and a midfielder with decent attacking qualities, a goal scorer. That is probably in function of Valeron being injured again. I think that Barça retains options on the player, as there was no transfer fee (on the other hand as Barça is now in an election process they cannot officially sell or buy, so perhaps that is the reason). Depor have sent out two players not wanted on the squad, Momo and Pablo Amo, who I think are going to Malaga, 2nd division. But the squad is still large, they need to sell a few more.

They beat lower division team Ayamonte in southern Spain the other night, 1-2, not a good result.

• 3 months later...
Guest Jeffery S.

Reports from La Coruña have finally confirmed what we have expected: Julian is going to be given the option to break his contract or transfer out come the winter transfer period. I read today in a Coruña paper, having gone to the city for work for a day (nice town really, pretty good quality of life there), that they are thinking of bringing in a striker from 2nd division Salamanca, Braulio, and that Julian will be given this possibility.

I think, given how young the team is and the way they have run totally out of gas, that it is an error to not let him have some minutes with the team. His contribution last year was much more worthwhile than a lot of what we have seen from others this year. So a bit unfair for De Guzman, who deserves a better break.

It is possible that the news has come out as Valerón, the attacking mid, has started training again, meaning yet another competitor for a midfield spot.

Maybe it's time for Julian to go back to a top Bundesliga team, or even try Holland.

Deportivo is not being fair and it's a shame to have his talent wasted in the bench.

Thank goodness I didn't buy that Depor jersey (still kept my Hannover 96).

Thanks for the updates, Jeffrey.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jeffery S.

Julian was back on the 30th training with the club, and I see no recent rumours of a transfer, so don't know what is up. They might just decide to play him a bit to raise his profile again before looking for a loan or transfer deal for him.

Other news has Duscher close to a move to River Plate, he has been offered 4 years in spite of being into his 30s. If he takes it now, in the break, that would be an incentive for Depor to hold on to Julian.

With the team's horrendous results club president Lendoiro, the architect of the team's rise to prestige in Spain and abroad, who is a professional president paid 1% of the club budget (of 70 million Euros a year!), is coming under serious flack. Folks are starting to think that it is time for a move to be made at the top as well, while for now most fans are hopeful Caparrós, the coach, can turn things around.

Depor hosts Real Madrid this weekend, might be on tv over there.

Julian is playing,Deportivo is leading 1-0

Julian is playing the game of his life,he is amazing,so much determination, lots of skill and in great shape.

Final score 2-0

I strongly believe that Julian has secured a permanent position on the team.No more guessing!

Guest Jeffery S.

Most of Depor rated well in the papers today, Julian with 3 out of 4 stars in El Mundo Deportivo. 3 is good, 4 excellent.

Hope this is the definitive turnaround for Julian at Depor, since this is a great place to have Canucks playing; indeed we really need a few more in the southern European countries, just to get that extra experience in a different playing style that could help Canada in Concacaf.

Archived