Julian de Guzman at Depor 2006/07

Guest Jeffery S.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeffery S.

"As" lists Julian as starting this Sunday at home vs. Espanyol.

Depor has gotten the most favourable quarter-final draw of the top flight sides in the Spanish Cup, la Copa del Rey. They are home to Valladolid last day of January, second leg away last day of February. The rival is a strong side in Second Division this year, but Depor should be stronger, meaning good options to get into semi finals of the Cup. The squad have come out saying it is their best chance at making a UEFA spot, as with 20 points, in 14th overall, they are 9 points out of Europe.

Other Copa match-ups:

Barcelona-Zaragoza

Sevilla-Betis

Getafe-Osasuna

Julian played the whole match versus Espanyol. Game was dominated by Deportivo and Arizmendi had two goals disallowed, they unfortunately walked away from the game tied 0-0. Very unfair, but that is the way professional sports are.

Here is a video of both the disallowed goals, you be the judge.

http://lads.myspace.com/videos/vplayer.swf?m=1785995036&type=video

Oh well, at least my favourite Depor are still undefeated in 2007. They now play Zaragoza this weekend, and Julian is touted to start again. Him and Duscher have been playing extremely well in the midfield. Their speed, vision, and ability to win the balls have really helped Depor improve in the new year.

PS: Jeffrey I think I still owe you from awhile back when you got me Marca Guia Liga.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Marco07

Julian played the whole match versus Espanyol. Game was dominated by Deportivo and Arizmendi had two goals disallowed, they unfortunately walked away from the game tied 0-0. Very unfair, but that is the way professional sports are.

Here is a video of both the disallowed goals, you be the judge.

http://lads.myspace.com/videos/vplayer.swf?m=1785995036&type=video

Oh well, at least my favourite Depor are still undefeated in 2007. They now play Zaragoza this weekend, and Julian is touted to start again. Him and Duscher have been playing extremely well in the midfield. Their speed, vision, and ability to win the balls have really helped Depor improve in the new year.

PS: Jeffrey I think I still owe you from awhile back when you got me Marca Guia Liga.

Was that you I sent that too? Must have been a few years back, did you post under the same name then? Anyways, don't worry about it, was my pleasure. Next time round I swear I'll make you pay.

Yes that was me, and no I haven't changed posting names. To be honest I haven't been posting at all on these forums for years. Would keep to myself and troll around without posting. Finally decide to get myself back into things, so we'll see how long that lasts. Anyways, I will pay next time ;).

• 2 weeks later...

An Interview regarding JDG at Deportivo-La-Coruna.com.

DE GUZMAN: "SINCE I AM THE SMALLER ONE, I ALWAYS TRY TO RUN MORE THAN ANYBODY ELSE"

06 Feb 2007 -- 2007 has been a positive year for Julián de Guzmán. The Canadian came from the bench and gain a place in the starting eleven: His job has pleased coach Caparrós and he has been appointed as one of the reasons why Deportivo is playing better. The ex-Hannover midfielder is willing to continue with his career in La Coruña. A fact that he expressed during his visit during the weekend to Germany, a travel that he made in order to see his 20-month-born daughter.

Q: You seem to be living a comfortable situation on the pitch.

A: It's my second season in Spain, and I know that I still have to learn a lot, but right now I am more comfortable than at the beginning. I am also adapted to the life in this country, I love it. La Coruña is the perfect city for me, a simple life, you can eat good food... that's important for a player.

Q: Was it hard for you the transition between the Bundesliga and la liga?

A: Yes. The German football is a very physic game, you need to be more powerful, while the Spanish football is more technical, a better spectacle I should say. For me, la liga is the best tournament in the world, and it has been my best experience in Europe. I am happy to see that I have enough skills to be playing on here. When I lived in Canada, it was a dream to be participating in la liga, and now that I meet it, it was better than I was expecting. I want to play in this country, more time than the four years that I already signed.

Q: So, your future is at Deportivo.

A: Yes, in La Coruña.

Q. Do you want to extend your contract?

A: Sure, If I have the chance, I will do it without doubt. But I have signed until the year 2009, so we still have plenty of time in order to talk about this matter.

Q: The De Guzmán that we are enjoying is a typical player for Germany: powerful in the physical aspect and that runs a lot on the pitch.

A: Yes, that's important to me. Since I am the smaller one on the pitch, I always try to run more than everybody else. When I arrived to Germany, I noticed that I was needing to work more hard than anybody else. For that reason I always try to do a better effort.

Q: We almost lost you in the winter market. It seems that Hamburg was really interested in your signing.

A: It's true that I had a lot of chances of leaving during the winter market, but my first choice was always Deportivo. What I wanted was a chance to play here. If the situation would continue as bad as it was, I would try to search for an exit, but I don't know where, because I had other options to play in Germany, Holland and England. Well, now is difficult to see me changing of team, I just want to improve at Deportivo.

Q: Duscher-De Guzmán, a couple that's working on the pitch.

A: I am very comfortable playing alongside Duscher. It's the first time that I play with him, and I am enchanted. I am learning a lot from him.

Q: As example?

A: Duscher is a player with a large experience. I know that he has learned from Mauro Silva, and you can notice that. Now he plays every ball with a lot of serenity, he has a good vision on the pitch and is a strong player.

Q: And now is Sergio the one that has lost a place in the squad.

A: That are the things of football, everything is possible. We all try to be at 100% during each training and during every game. There's pressure over us, and for that reason you can see the best from each player. It's important for a team. If I am on the bench, or if I am on the pitch, I will know that the coach is trying to take the best decision in order to help the club. We can only play with eleven men on the pitch, and everybody tries to search for a place. It's hard, but the things are like this.

Q: Is the pressure on the pitch the key to undertand why Deportivo has improved its results?

A: Yes. We can't surrender now. Deportivo is one of the giants in Spain, we should remember that. We have to give our best effort.

Q: By the way, your brother, the one that plays at Feyenoord, he would be a nice addition to Deportivo.

A: (he laughs) It won't be a bad idea, although he is content in there. But I know that his dream is to come to Spain. Maybe someday... It won't be a bad idea to play against him in the best league in the world. It will be fun (he laughs)...

Guest Jeffery S.

Yes, good interview there, some of the translation glitches obvious ones. Glad to see he is optimistic about his contract at Depor and ambitious about what the club should be able to do. Also interesting to see what he is learning from Duscher, that is a senior Argentina international there he is picking up from, so v. positive. But realistically, with financial difficulties lately (rumours say that the undeclared income to be laundered into football has dried up in the region) Depor is not going to be one of the big clubs of Spain for a while.

Also interesting to hear Jono has his eye on Spain. I personally am a bit suprised I have not heard any rumours about him coming this way; but since in general his name does not come up much, you have to wonder if his agent is just keeping things quiet, that they have decided to get the experience in Holland for now, and don't let any rumours fly, as there will always be time for a big move later.

• 1 month later...

Interview with De Guzman on http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/news.php

DE GUZMAN: "I'M LIVING ONE OF THE BEST MOMENTS IN MY CAREER"

07 Mar 2007 -- Julián de Guzmán has been a key factor in the good run of Deportivo in 2007. The Canadian international is conscious about this fact and says that he has finally learned the style of playing in la liga. He is also ambitious and appoints to the Champions League as a mid-term objective for the club.

Q: In the first half against Betis, you were asking for a substitution and later you continued playing. How are you?

A: The truth is that I am not at 100%, and I hope to train hard during the weak in order to be ready for the next game. I’m still having some problems, but I hope to be OK soon.

Q: However you made a good game.

A: Yes, I think that I am living one of the best moments in my career, because it's obvious that I am playing. Collectively, I am hoping to see the team scoring more goals.

Q: You weren't a well known name when you arrived. Do you feel now like an important player?

A: Yes, I will love to be seen as an important player, just the same thing that everybody else is, and I know that I'm here in order to help in every possible way.

Q: Are you surprised with your good moment?

A: No, I am not surprised, because I wanted to be a good student of football, and it took me some time to learn the style of the Spanish football. I believe now that I have spent more than a year in here, I have understood it really well, so it's evident that this fact is helping me to play better, and I think that I can still improve my game..

Q: You have played with several men in midfield: Duscher, Sergio, Verdú... Who do you prefer?

A: I don't have any preference. I don't care about it because the important thing is how can I help them. I seem myself like a student, and when I am playing, I am also learning. So, I am trying to learn in order to help Depor.

Q: Your still talking in English, maybe that's why you haven't been noticed. Are you adapted to the city?

A: Sure, I love to be living in La Coruña, I love its culture and its style of life. Besides, there's a lot of space in here, I am happy living in this kind of place, it's an important fact for me.

Q: It's also a place that doesn't call the attention of the media, don't you think?

A: Well, I don't care what the papers will write on the next day. I am happy knowing that I am working well, and I don't need the papers to be telling me that. I just want the best for the team, if I don't play well and the team is wining, I am happy. More than if I play well and we lose.

Q: And what would you say to the fans about the squad?

A: I would say that Depor still growing and that in the future, we will be a great team. We are working and we could reach the Champions League once again, but we have to work hard for that.

Q: You are ambitious, looking for Europe?

A: Yes, I am ambitious and I think that a comeback to Europe isn't impossible, but we have to be careful and work according to what's happening at this moment. The important thing is to win the next game against Atlético Madrid. There's a lot to be played for and every game is important.

Q: You are a player that likes to foresee the future. Do you see yourself as a Blanquiazul player for a long time?

A: Yes, I still have two years in my contract, and I will love to continue. If I have the chance to extend my stay here, I won't think it twice, because I will love to see my future related to Deportivo.

A: And in the present? Is the copa the maximum ambition?

A: Yes, the copa is a pretty competition and the major opportunity that every player wants to reach, but I believe that the important thing at this moment is la liga, it's the main thing while the copa is the dessert. In la liga you have to be in the better physical condition, because it needs a lot of strength. For that reason we have to be wise if we want also to make a good job in copa del rey.

http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/pics/regular/De-Guzman_035.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeffery S.

De Guzmán's Depor draws Sevilla for the semi-finals of the Copa del Rey, Spanish Cup. Home April 18 at Coruña, away May 10 in Sevilla.

Winner takes on winner of Barça-Getafe in the Cup final, which would be the third week of June.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by frank

Hi Jefrey, will you see Julian playing tomorrow at Camp Nou?? Hopefully he can impress at the leader as well. Barca already was a good place for Depor...

Funny, just today tried to convince my kid about going, but he has a new answer to football: if people stand up just before a goal is scored I don't want to go, because they block my view. I suggested going to see the Barça basketball team, he asks: do people stand up when they make a shot?

Think I will be going alone, to the cheapest section, being a late match maybe better not to take the kid with his future in a private box at the opera.

Marca is giving the line-ups like this, justifying Julian's presence with the absence of Sergio and the need to shore up the middle against the Barça passing game. Pretty weak offensive set up for Depor though, and if they can't score two I doubt they'll take the result away from us. Ex-Espanyol players (Capdevila and Lopo) and from the Madrid system (Riki) ensure extra motivation for the visitors.

Barcelona: Valdés; Zambrotta, Thuram, Puyol, Sylvinho; Edmilson, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi; Ronaldinho y Etoo

Deportivo: Aouate; Coloccini, Lopo, Andrade, Capdevila; De Guzmán, Juan Rodríguez; Estoyanoff, Verdú, Cristian; y Riki.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by ubuntu

The new web site of De Guzman is here:

http://www.enblanquiazul.org/deguzman/

with an interview after the game against Barça.

Stil a Beta Version, but look promising.

Read the second story on the front page of that site regarding this weekend's match, vs regional rival Celta Vigo (who by the way have just signed Hristo Stoichkov as coach, a feisty player who has yet to show he can train well).

But Julian will sit out after the league confirmed his one game suspension, which could either be for his fifth accumulated yellow last week or for the second on the day and the consequent red, not sure. Get the sense that the two suspensions are put into one and he'll only serve that.

• 2 months later...
Guest Jeffery S.

Julian has a new coach at Deportivo, Miguel Angel Lotina, who was unable to save Real Sociedad from relegation. Caparrós, as expected, is leaving.

Lotina is a coach who has had tough roles trying successfully to keep teams up in 1st division, and is a serious, quiet and rather timid fellow from Bilbao. He should be serious.

Depor's real problem is all those players on the lists to transfer out, and those that have already gone. One of the worst teams striking last year, they have sold their best, Arizmendi, to Valencia. Duscher is likely to go, Coloccini as well, and Adrade seems to have some important offers on the table. Sergio González, who rivals with Julian in the middle, seems to want out as well. The team is young, inexperienced, and lacking quality in all aspects of the attack.

I would be concerned about them for next year if they don't sign some really excellent striking talent with experience.

Archived