WYC 2007

patdymond

I am trying to find out where Canada will be playing out of? Does anyone know, or have a link to where I can get more information. I'd like to see as many Canada games live as possible since this kind of event may not come more than once.

as far as europe goes:

teams will be decided by july 23rd of this year at the UEFA U-19 championship. top 6 teams from that tourney (hosted by poland) make it to canada.

pool a ___________pool b

poland ___________ scotland

austria ___________ portugal

belgium ___________ spain

czech rep._________ turkey

the top three in each pool are here in Canada next summer.

so we already know for sure a few of the potentially bigger draws from europe (italy. holland, france, england) have failed to qualify.

i'm sure thats not exactly news the organizers were hoping for.......

quote:Originally posted by Acid-Tone

i'm sure thats not exactly news the organizers were hoping for.......

But, as I've posted before, it is precisely the news they should have been expecting. It is completely normal for the "bigger draws" not to qualify for this tournament, so the organizers should not have banked on (I'm not saying they did) them doing so.

For example, considering only the examples you listed, England have participated in 7 of these tournaments, Italy and Netherlands in 4 and France in 3. For comparison, we have participated in 7. There have been 15 tournaments in total.

Guest Jeffery S.

Come on, imagine Turkey plays Japan in Victoria. Many will have bought packages for the group stage, there will be kids out of course (as in all youth cups). Are you telling me they won't get 1500 to that game?

If you look at attendances in Holland last time, many games were watched by 6-8,000 fans, that was considered acceptable for the bigger draws with local support.

Here is how the bigger countries fared in the qualifying rounds:

Italy 1 Northern Ireland 4

Italy 0 Northern Ireland 0

Italy 2 Moldava 0

(Italy eliminated in the first round)

France 2 Austria 0

France 3 San Marino 0

France 3 Wales 1

France 1 Scotland 1

France 0 Belarus 0

France 4 Bulgaria 0

(France eliminated in the second round)

Netherlands 2 Germany 2

Netherlands 0 Belarus 0

Netherlands 2 Greece 3

(Netherlands eliminated in the first round)

England 1 Belgium 2

England 2 Northern Ireland 1

Serbia Montenegro 1 England 0

(England eliminated in the second round-they had a bye in the first round)

Portugal 5 Azerbaïdjan 1

Portugal 3 Luxemburg 0

Portugal 0 Russia 1

Portugal 0 Israel 1

Portugal 2 Croatia 1

Portugal 3 Macedonia 1

(Portugal advances to the final round)

Germany 6 Belarus 2

Germany 3 Greece 2

Germany 2 Netherlands 2

Germany 6 Cyprus 0

Germany 2 Sweden 1

Spain 3 Germany 1

(Germany eliminated in the second round)

Full details :

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under19/FixturesResults/index.html

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Come on, imagine Turkey plays Japan in Victoria. Many will have bought packages for the group stage, there will be kids out of course (as in all youth cups). Are you telling me they won't get 1500 to that game?

If you look at attendances in Holland last time, many games were watched by 6-8,000 fans, that was considered acceptable for the bigger draws with local support.

I don't know if you're responding to me, but I do agree with you. I think attendance will generally be fine (probably better than fine), even with just Canadian fans interested in the stature and international flavour of this tournament (eg. even in the 2002 U19 WWC there were some great attendances for games not involving Canada), never mind the ethnic crowd supporting their own teams. At the same time, I'm also anticipating someone, somewhere moaning about a lack of "big draws" (several posters here have already expressed concern, but from my point view, things are unfolding as expected).

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I don't know if you're responding to me, but I do agree with you. I think attendance will generally be fine (probably better than fine), even with just Canadian fans interested in the stature and international flavour of this tournament (eg. even in the 2002 U19 WWC there were some great attendances for games not involving Canada), never mind the ethnic crowd supporting their own teams. At the same time, I'm also anticipating someone, somewhere moaning about a lack of "big draws" (several posters here have already expressed concern, but from my point view, things are unfolding as expected).

Don't see the lack of draws in Edmonton to be a problem. Or in the west for that matter.

Toronto, on the other hand.....

There was a lot of advertising for it at the Fan Festival in Montreal for the WC Final viewing. There was a huge ball, cards and a recurring ad on the giant screen.

Supposedly, there will be 8 games in Montreal, 6 groups, 1 round of 16, one quarter.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Don't see the lack of draws in Edmonton to be a problem. Or in the west for that matter.

Toronto, on the other hand.....

Please shut up and get off your high horse.

Edmonton drew 8k for a WORLD CUP QUALIFIER the last go-round. It is not the be-all and end-all of soccer cities in this country.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Edmonton drew 8k for a WORLD CUP QUALIFIER the last go-round. It is not the be-all and end-all of soccer cities in this country.

Hey Kingston can outdraw Toronto for the same type of game. I say Kingston is a better soccer city than Toronto based on percentage of general population that actually pays to see games. Edmonton would also be father ahead in that wonderful statistic.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Hey Kingston can outdraw Toronto for the same type of game. I say Kingston is a better soccer city than Toronto based on percentage of general population that actually pays to see games. Edmonton would also be father ahead in that wonderful statistic.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Well I guess it's too bad that your opinion means jack****e in terms of where the games are going to be held.

Archived