CBC Newsworld's "The Hour" on Thurs. Night

DoyleG

Nothing new there really .... would have been nice to mention that all of those Canada clips were from the Gold Cup win, or that lately at the U-20 level we've actaully put up some good results. However, I'll reserve a bit until I get a chance to see the second set. It's kinda nice that somebody's willing to look at why Canadians love Canada save for WC time.

Pretty fluffy piece by Jian Gomeshi, but decent. More emphasis on the popularity of the World Cup in Canada (or lack thereof) and not so much on why the national team hasn't fared so well. A chat with Paul James who said we don't have the quality of coaching needed, as well as a chat with Helen Stroumbos. Time spent on the street in Guelph (?) questioning pedestrians about the World Cup. Also a classy comment from someone at The Sun (sports editor?) saying that the only people he knows who care about soccer are the guys who cut his hair.

A mention of Toronto FC and the U-20 tournament and the increased media coverage regarding the WC, and Gomeshi feeling that things will improve for Canadian soccer.

Part 2 next week.

Just watched the show and I thought it petty much hit the mark except for the comments from that guy who was interviewed in front of the Sun Building. The guy who claimed that the only time he ever hears about the game is in a barber shop. beyond that, the experts highlighted:

1) The lack of infrastructure ( eg.: resources)

2) The lack of knowledgeable coaching

3) Media saturation in coverage of sports with established infrastructure.

4) Geography/no established club rivalries

Can't argue with any of that. The comments collected from people in the streets in places like Guelph are are also valid in that they reflect another seldom mentioned problem. That being, the lack of cultural awareness and appreiaton of the game in areas outside of the major urban centres. This is why I have often dismissed the notion that there is any room for the pro game in canada beyond a very small number of locations. And by extention, why something like the MLS is the only option. This is what makes soccer so much different from Hockey, baseball, and football in Canada.

I didn't watch the show. But from what I'm reading here, it was essentially the same as all the other pieces (whether on TV or radio or in print) on this topic that typically come up whenever the World Cup does. If they give it a serious effort then they usually do a good job of listing the relevant points regarding the state of soccer in Canada.

But fans also list the relevant points, and all the time, not just when the World Cup comes around. As do players, coaches and others directly involved. Even the CSA lists the relevant points.

The problem is, four years later, we're always still listing the relevant points. [|)]

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Just watched the show and I thought it petty much hit the mark except for the comments from that guy who was interviewed in front of the Sun Building. The guy who claimed that the only time he ever hears about the game is in a barber shop. beyond that, the experts highlighted:

That quote can be true given that you'd have a hard time finding people talking about the game.

1) The lack of infrastructure ( eg.: resources)

2) The lack of knowledgeable coaching

3) Media saturation in coverage of sports with established infrastructure.

4) Geography/no established club rivalries

No.3 can easily apply to soccer as much as it has been applied to lacrosse here in Canada. The experts don't seem to want to do their homework on the issue.

No.4 is nothing more than a boring issue that's been killed time and time again. The rivalry in Canadian sports has always been city v. city and not club v. club and the travel issue is becoming a rather weak one as time goes by.

Can't argue with any of that. The comments collected from people in the streets in places like Guelph are are also valid in that they reflect another seldom mentioned problem. That being, the lack of cultural awareness and appreiaton of the game in areas outside of the major urban centres. This is why I have often dismissed the notion that there is any room for the pro game in canada beyond a very small number of locations. And by extention, why something like the MLS is the only option. This is what makes soccer so much different from Hockey, baseball, and football in Canada.

A bunch of comments in Guelph by an entertainment reporter doesn't mean a thing. Of course, people like those at the CBC think that Canada is Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal with the rest being a foreign country. They would actually go to the other cities and they would be shocked that there's actually an intrest in the game. MLS as the only option was the kind of 90's thinking that has led to the decline of baseball and the stagnation of basketball in this country.

The CFL survived by getting away from this type of thinking.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Of course, people like those at the CBC think that Canada is Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal with the rest being a foreign country. They would actually go to the other cities and they would be shocked that there's actually an intrest in the game.

Such as Guelph?

Let me defend Guelph a little bit since I work there. First, you can choose the interviews you are to support your arguements. The people shown on TV from Guelph are not that reflective of the city. If the reporter went to what is suppose to be the downtown (but really isn't anymore), you would largely get the old guard Guelph residents. Guelph has a large Italian population and also a mix of other foreign-born residents. A large part of Guelph is closely linked to the University which has an international reputation.

While it seemed by the piece that Guelph doesn't care about Canadian soccer, I doubt it is all that different from the 905-Belt in reality in terms of its ideas about soccer.

Archived