red bull huge drop in attendance

G-Man

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

18,445 average attendance for the MLS for the season.

Not bad.

Colorado is averaging 10K for two home dates. DC United dropped 12000 fans in it's second home date for a crowd of 11K. Kansas City dropped 10K down to 8,000 for it's second home date.

We'll see how chivas does in it's next home game after playing stadium mated the Galaxy.

amacpher, if you haven't discovered the Goof-Man, basically, he is like the heavy Gambler in Vegas. They will shoot up a storm about their winnings or their jackpot winfalls, but fail to disclose the amount of time, $$$$$$$ lost in the process.

8,500 in a heavy rainfall would kill any attendance across the board. unless a roof is brought into the equation, that would naturally provide a good deterent due to the weather factor.

So we have:

April - bad weather

May/June - too hot/humid

July/Aug - everybody is on holidays

Sep/Oct - it's football season

Sorry but 8 500 is completely brutal. Especially with all the hype this team seems to have received.

amacpher and any other New Yorkers around here, is Red Bull promoting the team? I know they had Shakira and the Cosmos at the first game, but are they doing anything else in terms of advertising/marketing? Do they receive coverage in the local press? Was the Red Bull purchase big news in the local mainstream media, or was it only big news in the soccer world?

quote:Originally posted by Elias

So we have:

April - bad weather

May/June - too hot/humid

July/Aug - everybody is on holidays

Sep/Oct - it's football season

Sorry but 8 500 is completely brutal. Especially with all the hype this team seems to have received.

And that was just the # of sold tickets. Number of people in the stadium was much MUCH less... But the weather was unusually</u> bad for April on that day.

quote:

amacpher and any other New Yorkers around here, is Red Bull promoting the team? I know they had Shakira and the Cosmos at the first game, but are they doing anything else in terms of advertising/marketing? Do they receive coverage in the local press? Was the Red Bull purchase big news in the local mainstream media, or was it only big news in the soccer world?

Red Bull are definitely promoting the team more than its been promoted up until they took over. They brought 800 people to Washington for their first away match. Free bus, free game tickets for those who went. I also see more promoting (signs, etc.) in soccer friendly bars around the area.

But no-way is RB purchase big news in the local mainstream sports media. There's just too much competition (Yankees, Mets, Jets, Giants, Knicks, Rangers, Islanders, Nets, Devils). Even if they won the MLS title, it wouldn't be big news.

Problem is that most of their supporters live in New Jersey, which presumably is a result of their stadium being in the middle of a swamp in New Jersey. AND if you live in NJ and wanna go to the stadium via public transportation, you're looking at a subway, train or bus ride to Manhattan first. Then a another bus ride from Manhattan to the stadium. yup, you have to leave NJ first in order to get to the stadium in NJ. :(

It'll be infinitely better when they get the new stadium right on the subway line in Harrison, NJ.

quote:Originally posted by Franky

amacpher, if you haven't discovered the Goof-Man, basically, he is like the heavy Gambler in Vegas. They will shoot up a storm about their winnings or their jackpot winfalls, but fail to disclose the amount of time, $$$$$$$ lost in the process.

8,500 in a heavy rainfall would kill any attendance across the board. unless a roof is brought into the equation, that would naturally provide a good deterent due to the weather factor.

I didn't realise that Shakira was part of the package for the opener. She's probably a much bigger draw than the MLS is, "right accross the board", as proven by the huge drop off in the crowd for the Non-Shakira game. You almost have to look at the MLS crowds and then see if there was a non soccer promotion attached to it.

We'll see what they draw against the Fantastic Fire saturday night.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

I didn't realise that Shakira was part of the package for the opener. She's probably a much bigger draw than the MLS is, "right accross the board", as proven by the huge drop off in the crowd for the Non-Shakira game. You almost have to look at the MLS crowds and then see if there was a non soccer promotion attached to it.

How is that different from any other sports league in North America?

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

How is that different from any other sports league in North America?

Name one league,sorry, one league that isn't a minor league that does what the MLS does?

How many NHL, NBA, NFL or MLB games have rock acts act as a draw??

quote:Originally posted by Breakwood

The Superbowl

The NHL All-Star Game, the NBA All-Star Game, the NFL Pro Bowl, various single-game events, the Olympic Games, the World Cup, etc, etc, etc.

Name one league,sorry, one league that isn't a minor league that does what the MLS does?

How many NHL, NBA, NFL or MLB games have rock acts act as a draw??

Home-openers for MLB teams typically draw 40,000 people and then on the very next day, the attendance drops down to the usual 20-25K and stays at that level until bobblehead day when the attendance jumps to 40K again for that one game. Granted bobbleheads are teneously related to baseball, but they have nothing to do with the game being played on the field.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The NHL All-Star Game, the NBA All-Star Game, the NFL Pro Bowl, various single-game events, the Olympic Games, the World Cup, etc, etc, etc.

So you're saying that the half-time show at the Workd Cup final or the Superbowl is why people are watching? You're nuts if you do.

The MLS needs to bring rock acts, double headers with top euro pro teams to raise the gate so to speak. Everything else you've listed is is an all-star game where the game itself is a joke.

Does the Montreal Canadians or the New York Giants need to book Shakira to boast it's regular season crowds?

Nope. But minor league pro teams like Red Bull do.

[brSo you're saying that the half-time show at the Workd Cup final or the Superbowl is why people are watching?

I was simply answering your question.

The fact that you don't like the truth does not change that it is, indeed, the truth.

quote:The MLS needs to bring rock acts, double headers with top euro pro teams to raise the gate so to speak.

As others have stated (and you've convewniently ignored, except for my post) every sports team has promotions to bring in the crowds.

Bobbleheads, bring your dog to a game day, family days, etc., these are all widely used avenues in increasing attendance, used frequently by every league on the continent.

I was simply answering your question.

The fact that you don't like the truth does not change that it is, indeed, the truth.

As others have stated (and you've convewniently ignored, except for my post) every sports team has promotions to bring in the crowds.

Bobbleheads, bring your dog to a game day, family days, etc., these are all widely used avenues in increasing attendance, used frequently by every league on the continent.

If you change "every sports team" to "a lot of sports teams" then I would agree (don't remember the last 'crowd attracting promotion' the Leafs had).

I think, however, comparing bat days and family days to hiring big name rock/pop stars to perform is inaccurate. G-man might be rubbing you the wrong way with his posting style but I think what he is saying (that MLS has to work much, much harder on the promotions side to attract crowds than MLB/NHL/NFL/NBA) is very hard to dispute.

In the other examples you give, the league remains the main attraction and the promotion might have a small "bump" in attendance....in MLS' case, the rock shows or foreign team-double headers can double (or more) the normal attendance and skew the averages to make the league look healthier than it really is.

An example....in 2005 Chivas averaged 17,080 for their 16 home games. Even removing just the doubleheader they played on August 10 (they played the Galaxy with Club America playing Chivas de Guadalajara before 88,816) brings the average for the other 15 games to 12,297! That doesn't even look at those other 15 games to see if there were any big crowd rock shows included.

So the crowd for the "special event" (which in this case was a soccer game but not an MLS game) boosted the reported "MLS attendance" to over 7 times the normal Chivas crowd....what is really remakable is that they thought they needed to do that even though the two MLS teams playing were both LA based!!! So even with two local teams they were not confident of a big attendance.

There is a big difference between what the MLS and other major leagues in what they will/need to do to boost attendance!

i highly doubt people would ever come out solely for a Shakira stage show for a ten minute performance.

maybe, the fans came out in droves for ex-Cosmos.

how about the fans coming out just to watch the Red Bull hoopla. hard to swallow that one, ehh.

keep those betting lines open. ACROSS THE BOARD [:X] LOL!!!!!!

if Shakira was such a draw, they should of sold out Giants stade, the way you guys make it sound like.

In New York City (be it NEW JERSEY) U2 is a draw for any event, Jon Bon Jovi is a draw for any event, not Shakira. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yahh, lets wait and see at the next home game and observe the attendance. anything under 15,000 was due in part to the Shakira factor, pffff, okay. anything over that, then Red Bull soccer is alive and kicking in NYC/NJ. Also, state the weather, state any concert packages, state any strippers present or any double headers and bobble heads present [}:)], heck, state if the ducats are given away for free just like at the LImpAct games. Whatever you can dream of, even Genie if you want.

New England home opener drew......

LA Galaxy home opener drew... 27,000

DC United home opener drew... 23,028

Chivas USA home opener drew... 20,739

Houston home opener drew... 25,462

Columbus home opener drew... 20,818

But let's just focus on the negatives [8)]

Franky, you're old aren't you? :D I hope the Black Squirrels have Shakira to their first game, it's the only way I'm coming.

The Blue Jays this year sold out their home opener, that's over 50 000. The 2nd game the next night was announced at about 12 000 I believe. And I heard a couple people on the radio say there was way less than that in the stands. All first games attract attention. And all team/businesses use gimmicks to attract fans/customers.

MLS is not going out of business because of how their business is set-up (they're building concert venues and calling them soccer stadiums). But if more people don't start showing up it won't grow.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Franky, you're old aren't you? :D I hope the Black Squirrels have Shakira to their first game, it's the only way I'm coming.

The Blue Jays this year sold out their home opener, that's over 50 000. The 2nd game the next night was announced at about 12 000 I believe. And I heard a couple people on the radio say there was way less than that in the stands. All first games attract attention. And all team/businesses use gimmicks to attract fans/customers.

MLS is not going out of business because of how their business is set-up (they're building concert venues and calling them soccer stadiums). But if more people don't start showing up it won't grow.

Hopefully RBNY's stadium won't be delayed in opening as not to suffer under the lease agreement with the NJSEA (One of the reasons AEG sold the club).

They play all their games this month at home so that might tell us a better picture.

LA Galaxy home opener drew... 27,000

DC United home opener drew... 23,028

Chivas USA home opener drew... 20,739

Houston home opener drew... 25,462

Columbus home opener drew... 20,818

But let's just focus on the negatives [8)]

and they're second dates were...

hey rudi how come you haven't come to MLSE defence in the other thread where they're worth 1.3 billion...

Elias, actually old enough to have Shalkira's original album before she had her one hit wonder on the next album. [:P]

Anyways, c'mon!! the Black Squirrels would be very entertaining and worth the drive.

Archived