red bull huge drop in attendance

G-Man

Why are we debating something that is well established and even the american proponents of MLS readily conceed? First week of the season is the best for atendance, and double headers and promotions are required to get the League attendance to average around 15,000 for the year. So far the League is following its normal attendance pattern. It isn't evidence of the League florishing more so than in the past, and it is not evidence of its immenent demise.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by G-Man

and they're second dates were...

hey rudi how come you haven't come to MLSE defence in the other thread where they're worth 1.3 billion...

Because, like you, I have nothing to contribute to that thread. I don't work nor advocate for MLSE (this thread had nothing to do with MLSE).

Unlike you, I don't make up or select certain stats to back up my claims. Nor do I give mey support to a league one week, then prove myself a hypocrite the next.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Why are we debating something that is well established and even the american proponents of MLS readily conceed? First week of the season is the best for atendance, and double headers and promotions are required to get the League attendance to average around 15,000 for the year. So far the League is following its normal attendance pattern. It isn't evidence of the League florishing more so than in the past, and it is not evidence of its immenent demise.

Being stuck in neutral doesn't help MLS. One stadium deal in Salt Lake has already fallen through and talk of moving the team has already started.

RBNY isn't the only team with problems. KC drew less that 9,000 to Arrowhead v. the Fire.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Being stuck in neutral doesn't help MLS. One stadium deal in Salt Lake has already fallen through and talk of moving the team has already started.

RBNY isn't the only team with problems. KC drew less that 9,000 to Arrowhead v. the Fire.

Stadium deals fall through all the time. How many times was the Toronto stadium moved around or considered dead before construction actually began?

The fans of Salt Lake are dedicated, and Kroenke is a dedicated sports owner. I'm sure they'll make a go of it in Utah.

As for staying in neutral, MLS has indeed done that for a while, but the bulk of the season's numbers have been positive so far. The median attendance to this point is the highest its been since year one, same with the average. And that without the help of any doubleheaders so far.

Chicago hasn't even had a chance to play a home match yet, and the numbers are up in Columbus, Dallas, Houston (which was San Jose), Chivas, and even Colorado.

While the league seem like its in a holding pattern right now, it is definitely showing signs of growth in baby steps. Compare where MLS is in year 11 to almost any league in the world and I'm positive MLS comes out looking favourable.

The 'troubled teams' (RB and KC, for the most part) have very specific reasons why they are troubled. Red Bull just bought an awful organization and needs to be given time (ie. more than two friggin home games) to sort itself out. KC is faced with an owner who doesn't really care about the team's welfare as he is looking to sell it off.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

What it shows me, however, is that while there may be a great number of soccer fans in America, there are not a great number of MLS fans....which is critical for the survival of the league but very telling for MLS in Toronto.

Early I showed the effect on the average Chivas attendance last year if you exclude the massive crowd they had for a doubleheader....attendance that averaged 12+thousand on a regular day swelled to over 80k and boosted the team's average to around 17,000.

With a 20,000 seat stadium, MLSE will not be able to even pull of that trick.....if they averaged 12k for 15 games and had a full house for a double header, they would end up reporting a season average of 12,500 which will hardly do much to convince the masses that domestic pro soccer is alive and healthy in this market....unless, of course, they move the double header to Rogers Centre which will go to prove the point of many of the critics of the stadium plan in the first place......when we are only using for the domestic game, 20k is too big but when the games that people actually want to pay for are in town.....it is way too small!

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Hunt owns Dallas (his hometown team) and Columbus.

Speaking of Dallas....how big is Pizza Hut Park? I watched the highlights of the "Texas derby" on FSNW and the thing that struck me was how empty the stadium was....the camera panned, pretty much, the entire park and there seemed to be no one there!!!! Looked to be about 95% empty!!

Went on the MLS web page today and they are reporting attendance of 12,756! If my eye was right and the % full was around 5%....then that stadium must hold 255k!!!! Is MLS "doctoring" attendance figures or is there something I am missing?

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

Speaking of Dallas....how big is Pizza Hut Park? I watched the highlights of the "Texas derby" on FSNW and the thing that struck me was how empty the stadium was....the camera panned, pretty much, the entire park and there seemed to be no one there!!!! Looked to be about 95% empty!!

Went on the MLS web page today and they are reporting attendance of 12,756! If my eye was right and the % full was around 5%....then that stadium must hold 255k!!!! Is MLS "doctoring" attendance figures or is there something I am missing?

MLS reports "tickets distributed" not "butts in seats", so yes, there is a bit of doctoring going on.

From the chatter on BigSoccer, almost the entire crowd at the Dallas match was sitting on the same side as the cameras (something to do with not looking into the sun), but even then, those in attendance said that there could not have been more than 8k in the crowd, as it was a blistering hot day (120 degrees F).

All matches in Texas should be at night, IMO.

Pizza Hut Park holds a bit over 21k, BTW.

red bull

wed night 8K

saturday afternoon 9k.

new england

saturday 6k and not one 12K game in 3 home dates...

Maybe Toronto will fit in after all.

I was just reading the recaps on MLSnet.com and was surprised by some of the attendances.

Red Bull getting under 10k on a day when it was "64 and partly cloudy " (direct from MLS web page) seems stunning.

I watched highlights of FC Dallas's game....again there seemed to be tons of empty seats...I checked the web to see if, again, they had played it mid-day in scorching heat....no, they played at night (although temp at kick off was still 91!!!!)...what stunned me was that MLS are reporting 18k + at the game...sure did not look like it....

...wasn't Columbus supposed to be a hot bed of the game? 12,646 in attendance for their home game.

....no attendance reported for the Houston v Chicago game (surely someone went?)

....good sized crowd for the RSL game....over 16k saw the regal ones defeat the Wiz!

....probably the best story is that, even though they haven't won at home yet, the Galaxy seem to be a pretty solid draw with just under 20k in attendance on Saturday.

I would describe that as a so-so weekend for MLS with good news in a couple of cities (LA and SL), bad news in a couple (NY and Dallas {I am assuming those were empty seats not 18k people dressed up as empty seats}), no news (Dynamo) or moderate news (Columbus) in the others.

Red Bull will get over 30k on Wednesday.

And they're gonna sign Ronaldo for the 2007 season ;)

I remember when the CFL expanded into the states. They basically did so for the cash infusion that the expansion fees gave the canadian teams. Seems like the MLS is expanding for the same reasons. It badly needs the cash.

The MLS badly needs markets that draw more than 12K.

And why will Red Bull get 30K on wednesday night? Is Bruce Springsteen doing a set after the game?

I remember when the CFL expanded into the states. They basically did so for the cash infusion that the expansion fees gave the canadian teams. Seems like the MLS is expanding for the same reasons. It badly needs the cash.

The MLS badly needs markets that draw more than 12K.

And why will Red Bull get 30K on wednesday night? Is Bruce Springsteen doing a set after the game?

It is because they are playing traditional rival FC Dallas who are winless on the road and, as everyone knows, there simply is nothing else to do in New York on a Wednesday night!!!

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20060524&content_id=60145&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

According to this game summary....attendance was 1!

I am sure the correct attendance was somewhere between 1 and 30,000 ;)

Well that is more then Inter Milan had at some Champions League games, so by my calculations that means Red Bull New York is more succesful then Inter Milan!!!!![8D]

RBNY is becoming a very slow train wreck.

The Metros were already a train wreck before Red Bull got involved.

Having RB purchase the team will be good in the long run, they just need time to untangle the mess that existed before they got there.

Look for sweeping changes come August, with more in the off-season.

Wed was a doublheader in New York. RBNY-FCD were the first match. The 2nd was Ecuador v. Columbia.

Attendance for the latter was over 52,000.

What was the attendance for the former? I know there's no official number for such, but maybe someone here saw the game on TV and can guesstimate.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

What was the attendance for the former? I know there's no official number for such, but maybe someone here saw the game on TV and can guesstimate.

Saw the highlights on MLSNET.com and seemed to show a sparse attendance up to the end of the game when people were waiting for the 2nd half of the doubleheader. The box score has the ECU-COL attendance but the schedule page still says 1 for attendance.

One down, one to go :D

No..the international got the crowd. nice try MLS buttboy. The MLS game was the opener, not the headliner.

Interesting how the MLS report doesn't even mention the other game. Sad, misleading and almost fraudulant of them...

Archived