red bull huge drop in attendance

G-Man

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

No..the international got the crowd. nice try MLS buttboy

You must have missed the smilies in my post.

As for the above comment, you really need to stop with the homosexual name-calling.

Interesting how the MLS report doesn't even mention the other game. Sad, misleading and almost fraudulant of them...

quote:Originally posted by MLSnet.com

But league-leading FC Dallas scored twice in the final quarter hour, including the game-winner three minutes from the end by Carlos Ruiz, to earn their first road win of the year, beating the Red Bulls 2-1 at Giants Stadium. The MLS match was the opening game of a doubleheader that also featured World Cup-bound Ecuador playing South American rival Colombia

A little reading goes a long way.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Rudi

You must have missed the smilies in my post.

As for the above comment, you really need to stop with the homosexual name-calling.

A little reading goes a long way.

But the image of you being bent over everytime MLSE speaks is so true. a cliche but true.

But the image of you being bent over everytime MLSE speaks is so true. a cliche but true.

You just can't resist the personal shots, eh G-Man?

Despite the fact that I have actually tried to engage you in real debate, you still have to resort to childish homophobic jokes.

Maybe I should be crying to the mods to have you banned now, not like they'll do anything anyways.

I'm still curious as to what MLSE has to do with any of this? When did they 'speak', exactly?

"Ronaldo wants to play in the United States in the future"

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=ap-ronaldo-us&prov=ap&type=lgns

The Red Bulls are crazy to offer him a 10-year deal, but at least it shows that they are looking to improve.

Umm signing a goat at left back would be an improvement. 5137 fans to see one the greatest teams in the world play. They really know how to market soccer don't they Rudi.

I must say I didn't even know that Bayern Munchen were playing in New York against the Red Bull until just now when I came to this forum. I still haven't bothered to find-out any details about this match, but I doubt that it was anything more than the Bayern Munchen-II (who play in the Regionalliga Süd division) that made the trip, considering the match's proximity to the World cup.

It'll be a much different story (attendance wise) when RBNY face Barcelona "A" squad on 12 August.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by amacpher

I must say I didn't even know that Bayern Munchen were playing in New York against the Red Bull until just now when I came to this forum. I still haven't bothered to find-out any details about this match, but I doubt that it was anything more than the Bayern Munchen-II (who play in the Regionalliga Süd division) that made the trip, considering the match's proximity to the World cup.

It'll be a much different story (attendance wise) when RBNY face Barcelona "A" squad on 12 August.

Just a comment about that Barça US tour. Normally it would have been just pre-season friendly atmosphere at the club, but with the European Super Cup vs. Sevilla just two weeks after that, and the Spanish SuperCup (home and away) still without dates though normally set for mid August, plus the first home match for the team at the Gamper tournament in August as well (vs. precisely Bayern Munich this year, I think they are working on a player deal involving Van Bommel), Barça should be playing hard and for keeps with players fighting for starting spots.

Umm signing a goat at left back would be an improvement. 5137 fans to see one the greatest teams in the world play. They really know how to market soccer don't they Rudi.

I thought you had me on ignore [8)]

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

The point being that you had no idea the game was being played. Well done MLS and Red Bull.

Re: Ronaldo rumour?

Isn't MLS a single entity where all the players are under MLS contracts and not team contracts. Players are assigned, if you will, to teams?

So unless all members of the LEAGUE ownership agree to pay an outrageous salary no one team can force it on the others.

Or maybe I need to re-educate myself on MLS?

Single entity ownership has been one of the reasons for this leagues survival has it not?

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Re: Ronaldo rumour?

Isn't MLS a single entity where all the players are under MLS contracts and not team contracts. Players are assigned, if you will, to teams?

So unless all members of the LEAGUE ownership agree to pay an outrageous salary no one team can force it on the others.

Or maybe I need to re-educate myself on MLS?

Single entity ownership has been one of the reasons for this leagues survival has it not?

I'm not an expert on MLS either, but I believe that teams are free to go after whomever they want, so long as their rights are not held by another MLS team and the other anti-tampering rules (out/almost out of contract or club permission) don't apply. Perhaps they have a declared "negotiation list" similar to the CFL that gave the Argos first shot at Ricky Williams and made the other teams pissed that they didn't think of it first.

As far as salaries go, there is already something close to the "Beckham Rule" in exisistence as only the first $350,000 is applied to the salary cap. That is why Chivas USA and LA Galaxy are paying over $3M each when there is supposed to be a $1.8M cap. Only the first $350,000 of Landon Donovan's $900,000 wage is counted towards the cap, and Chivas is paying some guy abit over $1M. So, Red Bull could pay Ronaldo a s**tload of money (Red Bull has the cash), and only $350,000 counts towards the cap. This probably allows for maybe two superexpensive players for owners with deep pockets.

If MLSE wants Toronto FC to do the usual tactic of buying famous old internationals from the usual suspect countries, then Portugal's Figo and Italy's Del Peiro would make sense as they will probably retire from international competition after this World Cup, they can certainly sell tickets, and they are still useful on the field to!

OUCH. 8K in L.A for Chivas vs Colorado. Even greater L.A's 4 Million Mexicans don't want to fo to MLS games.

AND If they have spent a million on some guy, the league has no future. It's what the NASL tried to to save it ass. I've sent an email to Toronto FC pointing out that a local lad is playing for England in this World Cup and that they should sign his canuck ass to bring in the suburban fan.

Your skewed version of the truth conveniently ignores the good attendance numbers.

then bring up the good crowds in New York or anywhere else that isn't part of some double header that involves a large ethnic groups national team or a pop group.

Your skewed version of the truth conveniently ignores the good attendance numbers.

But no one is countering him with the "good" numbers....where are those?

It is fine to say that G-Man is just pointing to the lows...but if you countered with some of the highs then his argument would not hold water....sadly, I think he is right....there has been a noticable dip in MLS attendance this year and that it would happen in a year where soccer is so much a part of the mainstream media (because of the WC) is very disturbing.

Could Toronto be joining MLS after it has already peaked in attendance?

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

But no one is countering him with the "good" numbers....where are those?

It is fine to say that G-Man is just pointing to the lows...but if you countered with some of the highs then his argument would not hold water....sadly, I think he is right....there has been a noticable dip in MLS attendance this year and that it would happen in a year where soccer is so much a part of the mainstream media (because of the WC) is very disturbing.

Could Toronto be joining MLS after it has already peaked in attendance?

Historically, MLS attendance increases during a World Cup. And I'm guessing they would also be slightly higher after a World Cup. But I don't see how one could expect MLS attendance to be higher before a WC begins.

Maybe they should make the regular season actually mean something. Just a thought. [8)]

Archived