CPSL Off Season News

L.T.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

Here's an article from the Share newspaper that I missed in their on-line edition on Sharenews so I had to type it from the newspaper edition.

Now we have a confession about what the player salaries are like and the entry fee for a team.

The execs of the Caribbean Selects (last minute change from Caribbean Stars as the Windsor Borderstars objected) won't impress some folks of this message board.

Aldwyn McGill was accused by some as not deserving to coach.

Yes, well, in fairness to Aldwyn (while I am the first to admit that I didn't get along with him at all and disagreed with his appointment), he definitely had success with Metro Lions and did (as the article says) win coach of the year so opinions aside, he seems like a reasonable choice to coach the squad. He does have a history with soccer clubs in the community so let's see what he can do.

I'm also pleased to see that Voja Jurisic is with the White-Eagles. He's a good guy who's been around the scene for quite a while. His son has been in the CPSL for some years as well.

Good luck to them both.

I'm not sure that I like the ethnic format and as has been said here before, by me and others, it does seem like a last ditch attempt for the league to find a succesful niche, but we don't need black eyes so hopefully they can make it work.

db

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by MM2

CPSL website shows the league divided into three divisions, east/west/international, 10 teams so far, no sign of Caribbean Stars/Selects.

http://www.cpsl.ca/teams.asp

Click on the team crest for team rosters, not sure if these are 2005 or 2006 rosters, I would think player selection is just commencing for most teams.

excuse my ignorance, but I thought the Metro Lions were in the CPSL?

Originally posted by G-Man - 04/12/2006 : 14:50:30</u>

Caribbean Selects

Try this again.

Anyone out there know what's up with the CS's? Or where I can buy a Selects scarf that I can wear to my local fake irish pub to watch the World Cup?

Originally posted be El CHE - 04/12/2006 : 20:45:12</u>

CPSL International Competition

Once again I will LOVE to see who is choosen for the CPSL select team. Last year there was a little conspiracy upon selection of players.

Lets hope the league opts for image instead of preferance when fronting these selected teams.

Also word is Toront Supra has a total of 3 international games planned for the season, the first shows not to be such a strong team but its nice to see some foreign competition.

There has also been rumors of Brampton folding this year. Alot of last years players wish not to return leaving them crunched for time. Hopefully they have already scouted some ITALIAN players as quoted from last year, to replace last years line-up.

Interesting to see who is trying out with who. I guess we should be seeing alot of trades and buy-outs for the upcoming season.

Any word on the schedule anyone?

Whats with the serbian white eagles? There is not much info on them as of late, does anyone know what grounds they are training on?

cheers

quote:Originally posted by Steve B

Why don't they just change the name of this league to EFSL for "Ethnic Farce of a Soccer League"?

I think what people forget is that the CPSL survives. Which is a good sign that the league has merit. People have to look at the CPSL with some reality.

It's the top semi-pro league in Canada's largest city. Does Los Angeles or New York have a similiar league? I can't find one.

It's funny how the MLS is going "ethnic" and the cheers go up, but when a local league allows teams to call themselves ethnic names, it's greated by laughter. I hope the CPSL survives. It's good for the city. I'd like to see more CPSL youth teams as I think the USL isn't the answer to developing or future national teams.

(Reply to DJT)

Brampton are definitely not folding and the pre-season training is already underway. Although some players may want away, which happens with all teams, each team does have a Protected List, and any players on that list cannot leave without the club's permission. So players first have to find a team willing to take them, then get the old team to agree and finally the two teams have to agree terms. So there may not be as many trades as you might expect.

There is a provisional schedule but as usual teams seem to have the ability to modify it to suit themselves which delays the process. It seems that this year teams in the same conference will play each other 4 times and have less or no matches against teams in the other conferences.

I just hope that we get to see this year's Select team's friendly games and they are not behind closed doors like the Rangers game.

I hear that the Canada Cup will be in London yet again!

quote:Originally posted by elmparker

(Reply to DJT)

Brampton are definitely not folding and the pre-season training is already underway. Although some players may want away, which happens with all teams, each team does have a Protected List, and any players on that list cannot leave without the club's permission. So players first have to find a team willing to take them, then get the old team to agree and finally the two teams have to agree terms. So there may not be as many trades as you might expect.

There is a provisional schedule but as usual teams seem to have the ability to modify it to suit themselves which delays the process. It seems that this year teams in the same conference will play each other 4 times and have less or no matches against teams in the other conferences.

I just hope that we get to see this year's Select team's friendly games and they are not behind closed doors like the Rangers game.

With regards to Brampton, I am clear on the transfer rules but I had mentioned it only because I have seen alot of Brampton players (at more than five) at other practices. I guess terms have been spoken between owners because for what I know permission to practice must be granted from the last seasons team owner.

quote:Originally posted by elmparker

(Reply to DJT)

Whats with the serbian white eagles? There is not much info on them as of late, does anyone know what grounds they are training on?

The team is playing exhibition games and sorting out it's roster. There are games lined up with some internationals tentatively scheduled with Red Star Belgrade during their tour of Canada and USA. Some discussion re a possible game with the Toronto Lynx as well as others. The first exhibition game was with a Windsor based team won by the Eagles 4-1 in Vaughn. The team has a lot of players in camp and should be paring down as the exhibition schedule expands.

Yes, they committed a lot of war crimes against Al Qaeda's Balkan branch (the U.S. backed, trained, funded and armed KLA). The Serbs should have pretended to be there to free the oil...er...I mean people.

As for the white eagles, the Serbian coat of arms is a white (actually I think silver) double-headed eagle of the Byzantine Empire.

Yes, they committed a lot of war crimes against Al Qaeda's Balkan branch (the U.S. backed, trained, funded and armed KLA). The Serbs should have pretended to be there to free the oil...er...I mean people.

As for the white eagles, the Serbian coat of arms is a white (actually I think silver) double-headed eagle of the Byzantine Empire.

quote:Originally posted by WhiteEagle

The team is playing exhibition games and sorting out it's roster. There are games lined up with some internationals tentatively scheduled with Red Star Belgrade during their tour of Canada and USA. Some discussion re a possible game with the Toronto Lynx as well as others. The first exhibition game was with a Windsor based team won by the Eagles 4-1 in Vaughn. The team has a lot of players in camp and should be paring down as the exhibition schedule expands.

Well they better get used to having their asses handed to them by the Selects. Who from what is rumoured around my house are about to sign Dwight Yorke.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Thank you Elias for being better educated then our Grizzly friend who watches too much CNN - the double headed eagle is the Serbian coat of arms and the 4 C's in the centre are cyrillic S's standing for only unity saves serbs. :)

Grizzly does not watch CNN at all, pure propaganda. Nor do I think that the Serb paramilitary groups were the only ones guilty of attrocities and war crimes. However, the Serbian White Eagles were a particularly vicious paramilitary group active in Bosnia and Kosovo and while some of the people they killed may have been as vicious as them there is also a lot of innocent blood on their hands. The old Serbian White Eagle team in Canada of 30 years ago may have been innocently named as a reference to the Serbian flag but the name has certainly picked up a lot of negative connotations since then. It wouldn't have been my choice for the team name especially if one is trying to avoid problems during the games with the Croats.

This whole debate is one of the reasons why having ethnic teams is not a good idea but after years of having crowds of 200 people I guess the CPSL is desperate.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Grizzly does not watch CNN at all, pure propaganda. Nor do I think that the Serb paramilitary groups were the only ones guilty of attrocities and war crimes. However, the Serbian White Eagles were a particularly vicious paramilitary group active in Bosnia and Kosovo and while some of the people they killed may have been as vicious as them there is also a lot of innocent blood on their hands. The old Serbian White Eagle team in Canada of 30 years ago may have been innocently named as a reference to the Serbian flag but the name has certainly picked up a lot of negative connotations since then. It wouldn't have been my choice for the team name especially if one is trying to avoid problems during the games with the Croats.

This whole debate is one of the reasons why having ethnic teams is not a good idea but after years of having crowds of 200 people I guess the CPSL is desperate.

Since this isn't a political forum, I will refrain from making further comments on your assertion that the "white eagles" name is tainted in your viewpoint. All I will say is that your comment can also be attached to any ethnic team (i.e. the checkerboard on the Croats flag) that has historical grievences. How the team behaves and represents itself on the field of play is how it should be judged!

quote:Originally posted by WhiteEagle

Well they better get used to having their asses handed to them by the Selects. Who from what is rumoured around my house are about to sign Dwight Yorke.

Not likely to happen, but glad to see that there is movement to sign better players to compete!

:D

All in fun..

With the addition of the White Eagles and teams like the Selects the CPSL has improved.

Where would the Red Star Belgrade game be held. The CPSL is doing more for Canadian soccer this summer than anyone else. All those great teams coming in..

I've been split on the ethnic team idea. Right now, I think it is worth a try. I don't understand the need for their own division. Toronto is a multicultural city, a business would be foolish not to take advantage.

Acording to StatsCan in 2001:

Chinese - 409,535

South Asian - 473,810

Black - 310,500

Filipino - 133,675

Latin America - 75,915

Southeast Asian - 53,565

Arab - 42,830

West Asian - 52,980

Korean - 42,620

Japanese - 17,420

Also of the 4,647,960 people in the Census, 2,032,960 were "Foreign Born"

The CPSL's goal is to maintain a strong Toronto presense. This maybe the only way to do it. Don't forget the other Euro-communities and maybe one non-ethnic team. Toronto should have a dozen teams alone. Montreal at least 8 teams. That would be a great base for a league.

oh, did I mention axe the divisions! One league, one table, one champion!

With respect to the idea of basing the league on ethnicity, I really think that most (not all) teams are composed of anything less than ethnic players.

Look at Supra, it has only hispanic players with the exception of maybe 2 portugues players.

Brampton, was composed of only trini/jamaican/hispanic players (now trainig with supra) and they are marketing themselves as an Italian based team seldomly because of the owners origins.

I can not speak for the rest of the league but those are a few evident things worth mentioning.

**Serbian White Eagles have a new fan forum www.ultra-serbs.com to be up at the end of the week**

Just a note, the Serbian White Eagles website looks so much similar to that of the HAMILTON THUNDER!

quote:Originally posted by coppercanuck

I've been split on the ethnic team idea. Right now, I think it is worth a try. I don't understand the need for their own division. Toronto is a multicultural city, a business would be foolish not to take advantage.

Chinese - 409,535

South Asian - 473,810

Black - 310,500

Filipino - 133,675

Latin America - 75,915

Southeast Asian - 53,565

Arab - 42,830

West Asian - 52,980

Korean - 42,620

Japanese - 17,420

The CPSL's goal is to maintain a strong Toronto presense. This maybe the only way to do it. Don't forget the other Euro-communities and maybe one non-ethnic team. Toronto should have a dozen teams alone. Montreal at least 8 teams. That would be a great base for a league.

With respect to the idea of basing the league on ethnicity, I really think that most (not all) teams are composed of anything less than ethnic players.

Look at Supra, it has only hispanic players with the exception of maybe 2 portugues players.

Brampton, was composed of only trini/jamaican/hispanic players (now trainig with supra) and they are marketing themselves as an Italian based team seldomly because of the owners origins.

I can not speak for the rest of the league but those are a few evident things worth mentioning.

**Serbian White Eagles have a new fan forum www.ultra-serbs.com to be up at the end of the week**

Just a note, the Serbian White Eagles website looks so much similar to that of the HAMILTON THUNDER!

quote:Originally posted by coppercanuck

Chinese - 409,535

South Asian - 473,810

Black - 310,500

Filipino - 133,675

Latin America - 75,915

Southeast Asian - 53,565

Arab - 42,830

West Asian - 52,980

Korean - 42,620

Japanese - 17,420

Archived