CPSL Off Season News

L.T.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here some more info on the white eagles.

-----

The team will be playing it's games at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke. Team Head Coach is well known world class player and coach Dragoslav "Seki" Sekularac and the assistant coach is from Red Star Belgrade Stevan Mojsilovic. Imports signed to date - B. Milic from Red Star (Midfielder), Dusan Belic ex Sant-Truiden Belgium(Keeper), Milan Janosevic from Zemun (Midfielder), Milan Medic from Lucani (Defender)and Sasa Viciknez ex Obilic Belgrade (Striker).

--------

do any of those players ring a bell to anyone? or teams they played for last?

quote:Originally posted by Elias

CPSL press release http://www.cpsl.ca/news.asp?c=4&id=4330

Says they will play at Centennial, home of the mighty Lynx. According to that Toronto Sun article posted above, seems they want to move into the new soccer stadium in 2007.

If these guys are for real, this could be good.

I wish them luck. I just hope that cooler head will prevail when it comes down to those Croatia games.

db

quote:

"Traditionally, you were encouraged to hide that and be a team such as the Toronto Blizzard. But why couldn't we have a 20-team international division, based right in Toronto? In 10 years, I don't see why we can't be a micro version of the CFL."

Difference is that the CFL sells itself to the community as a whole, not to just single ethnic groups.

The only time it seems you can get a large group of Serbs in one place now is to bomb their country.

Wow. An article from the Toronto Star! That already tops last year's output.

That bat nailed to a board story carries on. Perkins used it last year.

Kelly: CPSL hoping to cash in on ethnic teams

Mar. 2, 2006. 08:33 AM

CATHAL KELLY

Canadian Professional Soccer League commissioner Cary Kaplan is only stating the obvious when he points out that soccer is a tribal sport, one that appeals to nationalistic impulses some Canadians are uncomfortable with.

"Listen, nobody ever walked around waving a Vaughan flag," Kaplan said. "Maybe it's not politically correct to say it, but that's the way it is."

This spring, the CPSL will capitalize on those tribal bonds by launching a new international league. Teams will include Toronto Croatia, the Italia Shooters and Toronto Supra, a Portuguese side. Rosters will be filled out primarily by natives, hopefully with plenty of their countrymen paying to watch.

"If you draw just from within your ethnicity, that's fine," Kaplan said.

Last week, the CPSL welcomed a rejuvenated Serbian White Eagles team into the league. Before folding in the '70s, the White Eagles made a big splash with Serbs in and around the GTA. As if to reinforce Kaplan's point, the White Eagles unveiled their new team last week at a west-end Orthodox church.

Dragoslav (Seki) Sekularac, who trained the team 30 years ago, has returned to coach them.

Sekularac is a legendary Red Star Belgrade forward who starred for Yugoslavia in the 1962 World Cup. Since his time in Toronto, he's coached in Colombia, Australia and Mexico, as well as Serbia. What brings him back now?

"Sentimentality," Sekularac said, smiling broadly.

Sekularac has brought a former Red Star coach to act as his assistant and five young players from the Serbian first division to pad out the roster. It begs the question — how does a rookie Toronto soccer club afford to splash out like this?

"This is no money-making business," the White Eagles marketing man Voja Jurisic said. "It's not money, it's pride."

Thirty years ago the White Eagles and Toronto Croatia acted as proxies for Yugoslav immigrants nursing old world grudges in their new homes. Those matches were restive affairs, sometimes marked by violence in the stands.

After one game, an unhappy fan nailed a bat to a plank and dropped it on Star reporter Jim Kernaghan's doorstep.

"I spent a week or so peering back over my shoulder," Kernaghan recalled in an email.

The memories of those wild encounters live on for many still involved with the clubs.

"Oh yes, I remember those games," Toronto Croatia secretary Theo Krajacic said. "I remember the police on horses, the fans separated into east and west."

But Krajacic can't see the same sort of problems now.

"We're here in Canada. We're going to act civilized."

These days, Toronto Croatia draws a few hundred spectators to their Streetsville field. That figure is sure to jump with the rebirth of their greatest rivals.

"People talk about security issues, about intense crowds. But we think that's a positive," Kaplan said. "The thing you have to able to do is manage that intensity."

Therefore some games will be held at yet-to-be-determined neutral sites.

"There will be a significant security presense at those matches," Kaplan said. If anything does happen, he promises "extremely significant penalties" for the team whose fans are the offenders.

"It's not about politics, it's about soccer," Kaplan says.

Well, of course, it's about politics, too. But Kaplan's strategy is in keeping with the average Toronto soccer fan — the older sort who never misses a Serie A match and has never seen a Lynx game; the younger sort who waves a flag out his car window every four years, but couldn't name four players on Canada's national side.

The fans are out there. It's been done before. Will it work again?

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

I think it would be smart to have the " yet-to-be-determined neutral sites" at Lamport Stadium. I could see the place get pretty pack once this rival gets going again. This could really be good for the league, bring in some real money.

put in grass and you could have a national stadium to boot.

I think it would be smart to have the " yet-to-be-determined neutral sites" at Lamport Stadium. I could see the place get pretty pack once this rival gets going again. This could really be good for the league, bring in some real money.

put in grass and you could have a national stadium to boot.

Yeah but riot cops don't come cheap. :D

And the potential violence is the major problem with this little experiment. Even if they got 10 000 people a game, major sponsors (beers, cars, banks, etc.) won't touch this.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Yeah but riot cops don't come cheap. :D

And the potential violence is the major problem with this little experiment. Even if they got 10 000 people a game, major sponsors (beers, cars, banks, etc.) won't touch this.

pardon me? serbs and croats in this country can't go to a game and not create a riot?

Maybe the Toronto City Union brotherhood should go to the games and spread the love of wearing scarfs.

• 2 weeks later...

"pardon me? serbs and croats in this country can't go to a game and not create a riot?"

Interesting comments re ethnic football in this country. As a sponsor for the "new" White Eagle Club it seems to me that the comments that I have read are missing some essential realities. Firstly, yes the club is ethnic in nature but in the writer's opinion if it leads to stability (fan base) and quality of play for football in the CPSL and Canada - ethnicity it is!!

Second, although there are strong historic and emotional rivalries between Serbs and Croats, this does not mean that ALL we do is riot and create havoc in the way we show our love for the game. There is just as much hooliganism in the world scene whether club or national sides. Both Serbs and Croats have world quality soccer players as shown in the amount of players seeded throughout Europe and elsewhere. The White Eagles of the past represented this country at CONCAF as a Canadian team and we will continue to do so. Our success will depend on the management and marketing of this team as a team that sets the standard of professionalism for both the CPSL and Canadian Football (Soccer). The only way to fortify this claim is to show it on the pitch and in the manner we conduct ourselves as CANADIANS... ethnic or not..

Yes, IF</u>, it leads to financial stability and talent increase, I'm all for it.

Problem is, it probably won't. It's been tried in the past. Do you really think these guys coming over from Serbia are going to give it their all? They're going to come over for a 6 month holiday and make some money. Actually, if they stay the 6 months it would be an accomplishment. I'm sure they will be inspired playing the world famous Oakville Blue Devils in some cow pasture, in front of about 10 000 mosquitos (no, that's not the name of their fan club, I mean actual mosquitos).

When the Serbs play the Croats, I'm sure you'll get 3-4-5 000 people. Problem is, the rest of the games will draw 100 people, just like Toronto Croatia does currently. And when the Serbs and Croats play, if there is a fight, even 500 Km away, between two drunk Chinese guys fighting over some chick, it's going to be blamed on ethnic soccer riots.

Financially, I have no clue what the plan is, but I'm assuming the owners expect a loss. So fine, the first year or two, it will be a nice little donation to the community, get the Serbian community together a few times a year, have a couple riots with the Croats :D, oh, and play soccer. What happens when people get sick of funding this? Back to the picnics it is...

Having said that, I hope this is successful. Canada needs a strong division 2, be it CPSL or USL D1 or something. And I really don't see any negative to this. Even if there are riots, then the MLS Toronto Black Squirels can play-up some sort of "unity" card to get the fans out.

Elias, a lot of things have been tried in the past in respect to team startups whether in soccer or any other sport in Canada. The financial outlook for this team is solid from the perspective of season passes and corporate donations. We definately are not interested in associating this team with negative publicity (i.e. ethnic violence etc). Games with Toronto Croatia are being played at neutral fields and if the conduct of the teams is not up to league standards - penalties are there to curb this sort of stupidity. We are hoping that the pro rivalry will be set on the field and NOT in the stands.

In respect to your comment re the players, I beg to differ with you on this issue. Going back to the days when the NSL was operational, the players from 2nd and 1st division clubs came and stayed in this country (i.e. Mike Bakic (current President) and Mike Stojanovic (director of player personnel) along with numerous others who continued to play in other pro leagues after the NSL folded.

If you can create a positive environment and financial rewards to boot, they will stay. The main questionable factor is the status and condition of the whole league in general. One or two profitable and well run teams does not create a solid league. The one main negative factor in this country is the lack of leadership and expertise needed to fund and promote a third or fourth semi-pro league. Our intentions are good for the sport in Canada - but we are a small step without CPSL team support to reach a level of play that attracts fans.

I appreciate your support for this team and hope to see you at our games this season.

quote:Originally posted by WhiteEagle

The financial outlook for this team is solid from the perspective of season passes and corporate donations.

You mean like the Edmonton USL team where they expected 50 000 people a game in the first season? [:P]

But seriously, I know you probably can't, but what kind of budget is the team looking at?

The other thing, see you said, "corporate donation", that's a big difference from sponsorship. It is a donation, as opposed to a sponsorship where the business expects to make money. As long as the community keeps donating, things will be good. But as I'm sure you know, when you're looking for donations, it's a whole different game than sponsorships.

quote:Originally posted by WhiteEagle

The main questionable factor is the status and condition of the whole league in general. One or two profitable and well run teams does not create a solid league.

You're absolutely correct. This is the key to the whole thing. The competition itself has to be of some sort of value. It has to mean something to the fans to beat North York Astros or London $hitty. Even the Serb-Croat matches will get old (and no crowds) after a year or two, if the competition itself is not considered to be worth anything.

Here's an article from the Share newspaper that I missed in their on-line edition on Sharenews so I had to type it from the newspaper edition.

Now we have a confession about what the player salaries are like and the entry fee for a team.

The execs of the Caribbean Selects (last minute change from Caribbean Stars as the Windsor Borderstars objected) won't impress some folks of this message board.

Aldwyn McGill was accused by some as not deserving to coach.

Corcel Blair Jr. was accused of forming his own clique and having players smoke/toke up before games.

....but don't let me spoil the article for ya!!!

..................................................................................

Share March 16, 2006

Caribbean team will join CPSL’s international league

By Ron Fanfair

A Caribbean team will compete in the inaugural Canadian Professional Soccer League’s (CPSL) International Division this year.

Counting on the support of the members of Toronto’s large ethnic communities who embrace the countries of their birth more than their new home, the CPSL has expanded its league to include the Serbian White Eagles, the Italia Shooters, Toronto Croatia, Toronto Supra and the Caribbean Stars which joined the league last Thursday.

Jamaican-born Neil Palmer, who managed the Brampton Stallions which finished fifth in the CPSL Western Conference last season, said he was excited when the league decided it was going accommodate ethnic groups.

“I knew that the Caribbean community had an appealing product that could be sold to the CPSL once it was packaged correctly, said Palmer. “I had always wanted to own a franchise and this was the perfect opportunity to make my pitch.

“We are going to canvas the Caribbean community here and try to come up with the best players around who want to showcase their skills in a professional environment. We are providing those players who are looking for soccer jobs with a home to play and an environment in which they might be more comfortable.”

Palmer has enlisted the assistance of community soccer administrator Aldwyn McGill and Corcel Blair Jr.—the son of former Jamaica and North American Soccer League team Metro Croatia midfield player Corcel “Django” Blair—to help assemble a team for this season that starts in May. McGill will serve as the director of operations while Blair will be the technical director.

McGill served as Director of Operations/coach with Metro Lions of the CPSL for two years and won the Coach of the Year award four years ago.

“I am excited about this opportunity and looking forward to be part of what I envisage will be a successful enterprise,” said McGill. “The season starts in another two months, so we are going to have some open camps at Lamport Stadium in another few weeks to have a look at players and give our coaching staff the opportunity to start putting together a squad.”

The entrance fee for international teams in the CPSL is $160,000 and the average salary for players is about $75 a game.

Palmer said the new Caribbean franchise will be officially launched shortly and he’s counting on the support of Caribbean-owned businesses.

“This is a chance for West Indian businesses to show their support for a community venture by buying tickets or through advertising,” he said.

CPSL Commissioner Gary Kaplan officially launched the new International Division last month.

“We used to be basic East and West divisions, with just team names,” said Kaplan. “That works in Hamilton, London and Windsor. But in Toronto, you don’t wave a York flag or a Vaughan flag when there’s 350,000 Portuguese, 450,000 Italians and a large Chinese and Korean population.

“The CPSL has been under the radar for a long time. The international concept is perfect and we think it will attract additional fans and rivalries.”

The season starts on May 20 with the three-day Open Canada Cup competition.

Archived