Report:Toronto midfielder Jonathan de Guzman signs extension with Feynoord

BY THE CANADIAN PRESS

CP

122 words

3 February 2006

01:43

The Canadian Press

English

© 2006 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Toronto midfielder Jonathan de Guzman has signed a contract extension with the Dutch club Feyenoord Rotterdam, according to a report in the Globe and Mail.

The 18-year-old's contract was set to expire in 2008, but with English clubs Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal interested in him, the Amsterdam club extended his contract until 2010.

A source close to the club said de Guzman, who has caught the attention of scouts by scoring four goals in his rookie season, would command a transfer fee of $10 million euros ($13.8 million Cdn) if his contract is bought by another club.

quote:Originally posted by SCF08

Who the hell wrote that article. They should shoot the bloody wanker. Feyenoord is ROTTERDAM and not that other thing that they've written. What a disgrace..:(

Kassi aan. 3-2!</u> It's nice that we set the record straight this weekend. Hand in hand, zelfs in Vancouver is Feijenoord 1. JDG2 will be the first Canadian to play for Feijenoord in the Champions League next season. The CSA and Frank Yallop should take the initiative before then, publicly invite him for an international to see where he stands. It's okay if it's not a FIFA declaring of national colours international match. I was watching a tape of the Jamaica vs. Canada WCQ the other day. At halftime, a featured of Owen H. had Holger saying he hard a good long chat with Owen and that he was later caught totally by surprise that Owen picked England. Has the CSA learned from the past. Are they going to wait with JDG2 to see how he responds to any possible Dutch offers, or are they going to force to issue. An invite to a friendly would still leave the door open to a change of heart, yet accepting the offer to play for Canada in such a match would be at the very least an encouraging step in the right direction for Canadian soccer.:D

quote:Originally posted by Robert

Kassi aan. 3-2!</u> It's nice that we set the record straight this weekend. Hand in hand, zelfs in Vancouver is Feijenoord 1. JDG2 will be the first Canadian to play for Feijenoord in the Champions League next season. The CSA and Frank Yallop should take the initiative before then, publicly invite him for an international to see where he stands. It's okay if it's not a FIFA declaring of national colours international match. I was watching a tape of the Jamaica vs. Canada WCQ the other day. At halftime, a featured of Owen H. had Holger saying he hard a good long chat with Owen and that he was later caught totally by surprise that Owen picked England. Has the CSA learned from the past. Are they going to wait with JDG2 to see how he responds to any possible Dutch offers, or are they going to force to issue. An invite to a friendly would still leave the door open to a change of heart, yet accepting the offer to play for Canada in such a match would be at the very least an encouraging step in the right direction for Canadian soccer.:D

I dont think that you should force the issue on JDG2 because the kid is just a regular starter for the Feyenoord 1st XI. It's just a choice that he needs to take himself and there are so many things to ponder about. If he decides to go for Canada he could become a total legend in Canada and he could become an example to thousands of small Canadian kids who now besides Icehockey also can start playing Football or even think about Football. This is also a thing that people could still be talking about 50+ years later. ''JDG2 who takes Canada to the WC finals and starts a whole new Football culture in Canada''. But offcourse the downsides are that Jonathan must travel days and days just to play a friendly or even a competitive match for the Canucks which rules him out from Club Football. Especially at the age JDG2 is now that could be a career ruiner because everyone in Canada is already touting him to be their national hero and us Feyenoord supporters want to see him succeed as well , especially as he is from our youth academy and he is the biggest talent we have seen since Robin van Persie (Arsenal) so the pressure on that kid is immense. Should he choose to play for Holland all the obvious advantages come into play... He can make an easier switch from Feyenoord to an Man Utd ,Chelsea , Barcelona , Real Madrid , Ac Milan because he's got an EU passport which makes him very attractive for the stated clubs. Also he's got a shot of winning major trophies like the European Championships and even the World Cup with Holland.

I personally think that it takes guts to choose to play for Canada because it could also turn into a disaster because you havent got any proper quality yet in your squad and also he has been living now for 1/3rd of his life in Holland so is there still a connection with him and Canada ?? I know his brother plays for Canada but at Feyenoord (big coincedence) there is another world class talent Salomon Kalou (Born in Ivory Coast) who chooses to play for the Dutch national team instead of the Ivory Coast where Bonaventure Kalou (Brother and also former Feyenoord player) is in the 1st XI. Now I know that S.Kalou is a real career hunter and just plays for personal glory so this may not be the case with JDG2. I think he's a real smart guy who is very serious about his Football and my feeling says that he will choose Canada because of the reasons I stated earlier bu you might have to wait for another year or so before he makes the decision because he still needs to establish himself in the 1st XI at Feyenoord. There is a great team-spirit in the Feyenoord squad and also some very good players like Pierre van Hooijdonk and Patrick Lodewijks and Patrick Paauwe who all have won the Uefa Cup with Feyenoord and they have incredible experience and the drive to teach youngsters like JDG2 and offcourse we have got a great manager in Erwin Koeman who can all nurture him well into being a world class player. I think Canada should be proud of him whatever his choice will be.

Robert,, there's been several articles posted here over the past few months stating the CSA has contacted John Deguzman on several occasions, he's told them he's not ready to make any commitments yet while he tries to establish his role on the team... He's already stated he won't play for Canada in the World U20 next year.. As much as I dislike the CSA , they've contacted him and let him know their interested,, you can't do anything more then that.. I don't know what you mean by force the issue,, you can't give ultimatums to a kid,, especially of this talent,, at this age... It's out of our hands and the CSA's hands from this point,, whatever John decides to do , its his choice..

Ah yes, the plight of Canadian soccer players earning their toll in Europe and the complications that brings when national duty beckons. Hopefully, one day the sacrafices that have and continue to be made by all those patriotic players will pay dividends. The experience gained from playing for a major European club and bringinng that back to Canada may one day result in World Cup qualification and an opportunity for the game to gain inroads in Canada. I remember the tennis explosion that occurred in Sweden following the successes enjoyed by Bjorn Borg. Maybe if that happens with soccer in Canada, the game will grown to the point that players will be able to make a decent living playing for a Canadian team, and then many will not have to make those journeys from Europe everytime we play an international. Maybe we would be lucky enough to host two or three friendlies in Canada a year, a priviledge so many fans in other countries take for granted. I still dream that this may happen in my lifetime. Hopefully Canadian soccer will one day have the leadership that shares this vision. In the meantime, I continue to hope that JDG2 will one day decide to don the Maple Leaf for Canada. If I were in charge of inviting players to represent Canada, I would send out an invitation to JDG2 everytime a game was on the calendar. It doesn't hurt to ask, and who knowns, one time when we least expect it he might accept.

Geez, I might have to say some nice things about Soccer Central if they keep this up.

Good little interview. Very diplomatic play by Diesel there. Wish his footwork with the ball were as good.

Good for SportsNet. Certainly getting their moneys worth out of those fellows they've sent to Europe to cover the Olympics. Actualy exercising some fore thought. Shocking.

Sorry, just got back.

Was a little back-and-forth piece. Paul commenting how the Bundesliga and EPL realy aren't all that different. Both high speed, physical leagues with lots of fan and media pressure. The EPL of course having the advantage of more better individual players and an overall greater club parity.

Mentioned that at his age if he hadn't left Germany last summer he would have pretty much had to have resigned himself to spending his entire career there which just didn't seem right. After 7 years it was time to test new waters.

Is pleased with 'Spurs success this year but not surprised. Seems his expectations for Jol's squad were higher than most before the season.

Long way to go if Canada is to ever achieve anything. Was very tight lipped overall during this part of the interview. You just knew he had a whole lot more to say. But such as it was, he announced Canada has got to be better prepared for qualifying when it comes around. When you see teams like T & T going to Germany and Canada isn't there is something very wrong and no excuses for Canada not qualifying. Holds out hopes for the next WC.

Being a father changes everything, including putting a flash in the old eye.

Was actualy quite well done and delivered very smoothly. Not sure if Diesel was given a heads up as to what questions would be coming and where they were leading before hand but the whole interview came of very professionaly in a disarming, casual fashion.

Stalteri's right about being better prepared for qualifying but its guys like him that will have to make the sacrifice to get it done. He will have to committ himself to playing every FIFA date in 2007-2008 probably starting with the 2007 Gold Cup and some of those FIFA dates may be matches against south/central american opposition in those countries or Canada.

I am all for Yallop giving some young guys games now and over the next 18 months but from 2007 Gold Cup onwards, he will have to start putting out what he believes is our top 11 consistently in order to build a team during that year before qualifying starts in the summer of 2008.

With the talent Canada has ats its disposal, a place in the Hex should not be an aim but a requirement with the right preparation. On paper, I put us equal with Costa Rica and certainly miles ahead of Trinidad. And our depth should even be further reinforced before qualifying with Toronto MLS side being in its second season at that time.

is it a good sign he has not been named by van basten to hollands world cup provisional squad

DUTCH NAME BIG SQUAD

Holland boss Marco van Basten has announced a 30-man provisional squad for next month's friendly with Ecuador.

It will be Van Basten's first opportunity to run the rule over his side since December's World Cup draw paired them with Argentina, Serbia & Montenegro and Ivory Coat in arguably the most difficult group in the competition.

Ecuador have also qualified for this summer's tournament in Germany and should provide then with experience of facing South American opponents prior to their final Group C game with Argentina on June 21.

The final squad will be announced on February 24.

Provisions squad:

Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax), Henk Timmer and Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United); Urby Emanuelson (Ajax), Tim de Cler (AZ Alkmaar), Kew Jaliens (AZ), Joris Mathijsen (AZ), Barry Opdam (AZ), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Barcelona), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord), Khalid Boulahrouz (Hamburg), Nigel de Jong (Hamburg), Andre Ooijer; Hedwiges Maduro (Ajax), Wesley Sneijder (Ajax), Denny Landzaat (AZ), Mark van Bommel (Barcelona), Nicky Hofs (Feyenoord), Theo Janssen (Vitesse Arnhem), George Boateng (Middlesbrough), Phillip Cocu (PSV) and Edgar Davids (Tottenham Hotspur); Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Ajax), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Roy Makaay (Bayern Munich), Arjen Robben (Chelsea), Romeo Castelen, (Feyenoord), Dirk Kuyt (Feyenoord), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United), Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (PSV).

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by snake

is it a good sign he has not been named by van basten to hollands world cup provisional squad

DUTCH NAME BIG SQUAD

Holland boss Marco van Basten has announced a 30-man provisional squad for next month's friendly with Ecuador.

It will be Van Basten's first opportunity to run the rule over his side since December's World Cup draw paired them with Argentina, Serbia & Montenegro and Ivory Coat in arguably the most difficult group in the competition.

Ecuador have also qualified for this summer's tournament in Germany and should provide then with experience of facing South American opponents prior to their final Group C game with Argentina on June 21.

The final squad will be announced on February 24.

Provisions squad:

Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax), Henk Timmer and Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United); Urby Emanuelson (Ajax), Tim de Cler (AZ Alkmaar), Kew Jaliens (AZ), Joris Mathijsen (AZ), Barry Opdam (AZ), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Barcelona), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord), Khalid Boulahrouz (Hamburg), Nigel de Jong (Hamburg), Andre Ooijer; Hedwiges Maduro (Ajax), Wesley Sneijder (Ajax), Denny Landzaat (AZ), Mark van Bommel (Barcelona), Nicky Hofs (Feyenoord), Theo Janssen (Vitesse Arnhem), George Boateng (Middlesbrough), Phillip Cocu (PSV) and Edgar Davids (Tottenham Hotspur); Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Ajax), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Roy Makaay (Bayern Munich), Arjen Robben (Chelsea), Romeo Castelen, (Feyenoord), Dirk Kuyt (Feyenoord), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United), Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (PSV).

Don't know why we left Cocu go and now have Van Bommel, the former is a much more complete player. Van Bommel has surprised me with his relatively poor ball handling, rather un-Dutch of him.

Very glad Jono is not on this squad, I am confident he will find his way to us.

Archived