Toronto Soccer Media poll

Gian-Luca

Who do the Toronto-area Voyageurs feel is, in the words of Dr. Evil, the biggest frickin' idiot in the media today? The winner of the poll shall win a special prize, donated by the new Toronto MLS supporters group. As pollmaster for this poll I reserve the discretionary right to count the votes.

The Candidates are:

Bob McCown: Known for wearing shades indoors on his radio broadcasts in a lame attempt to be "cool", McCown has affectionaly been nicknamed "McClown" by local soccer fans. Used to work in the NASL and has been carrying a grudge against soccer ever since. Has affectionately called soccer fans "whining soccer cry-babies" without a trace of irony. Is against there being a soccer stadium, used to insist that nobody actually liked soccer in Toronto, though he has softened that stance since then (now its nobody could possibly like Canadian or MLS calibre soccer). Has made more anti-soccer references on the radio than we can count - and we can count pretty high.

Dave Perkins: Baseball/Golf writer who is known for constantly yapping against the new soccer stadium & the MLS team. Eye-witness accounts report that he stormed out of the City Council chambers in disgust when the City decided that Centennial was no longer good enough as the city's top soccer venue. Has infiltrated Toronto Raptor press conferences just to hurl abuse at MLSE over the stadium and the MLS team and doesn't seem capable of acknowledging the fact that the CSA was granted taxpayers money for a stadium before MLSE came on the scene late to step up to the plate. Recently caused much hilarity amongst soccer fans when he suggested that the WYC could be held at places like Centennial Stadium, Birchmount and Esther Shriner stadium, which is the equivalent of suggesting that the World Junior hockey tourney could be held at the City Hall ice rink, or the Canadian Golf Open at the Ontario Place Mini-Putt course. Also has a rather confused idea that temporary seating will provide a legacy for the city, while also believing that kids playing recreational youth soccer will be better served if they have more empty seats to play in front of.

Michael Landsberg: I am un-sure that you could pay him to talk about soccer on Off the Record, where he has admitted that he doesn't want to talk about the sport. The rare times he has soccer guests on his show they don't talk about soccer - the exceptions being the time he asked Joe Mattachione how he would feel if the Lynx signed Nicole Hartrell's son to play on the team and the time he managed to get into a fight with Bob Lenarduzzi about 30 seconds into the show (before they would later argue about which sport was boring, soccer or baseball).

Feel free to nominate an "other" that isn't on the ballot box.

Hall of Fame Award:

Which members of the media should go into the anti-soccer hall of fame? This is a seperate vote for people that we don't seem to be a part of the media any longer.

Choices include:

Pat Marsden - Hated soccer, at least until the 1990 World Cup when Ireland was playing and found their tight defensive style in that tourney to be very exciting. However, even after this epiphany, Marsden still did a double-take at Stephen Brunt when Brunt told him, horror of horrors, that the biggest sporting event one could attend was the World Cup final, and not, as Marsden insisted, the Super Bowl.

Bill Stephenson - Mr. Monotonous himself used to insist that soccer was boring, again without a trace of irony.

Spike Gallagher - hated soccer with a passion and would sometimes make comments suggesting its fans were incredibly stupid & dim-witted.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who is Bill Stephenson?

Spike Gallagher? Is that the clown on City TV who then had a show for a bit on TSN? That guy was annoying.

Pat Marsden I believe is American. He's forgiven (for thinking the Super Bowl is the biggest event).

McClown - I really think it's all an act. He knows soccer fans will get all excited and call him (shows people are listening). He seems to hate all sports except golf.

I vote for Dave Perkins. He seems to be in a league of his own. I think part of it is his hate for all things MLSE (he was also ranting about Ricoh and the "scam" MLSE pulled there). But that question about the stadium and the Raptors GM has to be one of the stupidest I've ever heard. It's beyond stupid. There is just not one ounce of truth to that all. I mean, what does one need to be smoking to come up with that?

I'd like to put a plug in for Norm Dacosta. On those occasions when Norm could be bothered to make a phone call and scribble a few lines, you were almost guaranteed three or four factual errors and no more insight into Canadian soccer then you get from this forum. In fact a good deal less.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Who is Bill Stephenson?

Older guy from Saskatchewan that used to be on CTV.

quote:

Spike Gallagher? Is that the clown on City TV who then had a show for a bit on TSN? That guy was annoying.

Now a morning disk jockey in Oshawa.

quote:

Pat Marsden I believe is American. He's forgiven (for thinking the Super Bowl is the biggest event).

Nope, Canadian....think he was from Ottawa originally.

quote:

McClown - I really think it's all an act. He knows soccer fans will get all excited and call him (shows people are listening). He seems to hate all sports except golf.

I think he genuinely does not like soccer and, yes, I think his favourite sport is golf. Isn't everybody allowed a favourite?

quote:

I vote for Dave Perkins. He seems to be in a league of his own. I think part of it is his hate for all things MLSE (he was also ranting about Ricoh and the "scam" MLSE pulled there). But that question about the stadium and the Raptors GM has to be one of the stupidest I've ever heard. It's beyond stupid. There is just not one ounce of truth to that all. I mean, what does one need to be smoking to come up with that?

Maybe he is smoking from the reality pipe? Do you know for sure that he is wrong? When you combine the Ricoh with the soccer stadium and the new rink in Oshawa, it seems clear that MLSE has a business plan to control the management and use of facilities that are, primarily, built with public funds.

quote:Originally posted by Steve B

I'd like to put a plug in for Norm Dacosta. On those occasions when Norm could be bothered to make a phone call and scribble a few lines, you were almost guaranteed three or four factual errors and no more insight into Canadian soccer then you get from this forum. In fact a good deal less.

Yeah, I was of two minds as to whether to limit the poll to just soccer-haters or also include those that liked soccer but were generally incompetent. It might be harsh to call the latter "frickin' idiots" though so if I were to expand the poll I might have to change the title of the award.

Perkins gets my vote.

This guys goes way beyond the usual soccer bashing we get from journalists (if you call him that) who are infatuated with American sports.

This guy would be the first to get Dr. Evils death chair if he where part of the Evil cabinet

:)

"Welcome Perkins! Try the sanity, its breathtaking"

Norm DaCosta?

Yes, he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed soccer-wise, but, at least he gave it some manner of positive representation. More cheerleader then journalist. I can't nominate him.

Biggest idiot though?

It's a toss-up between McCowan and Perkins. I dislike them both for different reasons, McCowan for personality and Perkins for shameless idiocy.

McCowan comes across as this self-serving smug jack-ass who grates more then he informs. Seem to remember him having or had a TV Show about the business side of sports. Why? Why anyone would think this idea will coral a boat load of viewers is beyond me.

Perkins I dislike because his continual crusade, I believe it now spans at least over a year, to expose the 'dark underbelly of the Soccer Stadium in Toronto' has rapidly descended into mere spite and is largely laughable. I understand that sports journalists do need to take a stand on issues, but his completely one-sided myopic diatribes have me questioning who exactly he knew to get a job in journalism.

I'll vote for Perkins, but he just beats out McClown.

HoF award:

Though Spike Gallagher was an unabashed jackass who seemed like he was on bad methamphetamines all the time, I'd have to go with derelict journalist Pat Marsden. The man was quite clearly born too late, as his mentality seems more in tune with the late 40's instead of now. Probably thinks football players should still wear leather helmets.

As an aside, best sports journalist (soccer or otherwise)? Stephen Brunt.

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

Maybe he is smoking from the reality pipe? Do you know for sure that he is wrong? When you combine the Ricoh with the soccer stadium and the new rink in Oshawa, it seems clear that MLSE has a business plan to control the management and use of facilities that are, primarily, built with public funds.

Do I know that firing the Raptors GM is not a cover up? Yes I do. How? Vince Carter trade. Drafting Arujo. Publically saying we are going to be worse this year than last. If anything, firing the GM is a cover for Peddie's incompetance on the sports side of things. He seems to be doing something for the sake of doing it so he can keep his job. Besides, nobody besides Perkins is on about this huge stadium "cover up".

As for managing the stadiums, somebody has to do it. MLSE does a pretty good job managing the ACC. I'm pretty sure they have the talent to manage the other facilities.

The John Labatt Centre in London, Ontario is managed by Global Spectrum one of the worlds largest facility management companies.

And for people who think this stadium will lose money, the Labatt Centre in London grossed USD$14.3-million in 2005.

As for the specific MLSE deals, the hope is our elected officials and our bureaucrats would sign deals that are fair and protect the public.

Which is probably a good thing because I have never, and I mean never, seen a municipality or one of its boards do a good job in managing any facility of this type. Municipalities have too many jurisdictions and interest groups to worry about. Business can be ruthless and single-minded.

Since MLSE is hinging some of its own funds on the soccer stadium and agreed to cover a portion of any yearly deficit I think they'll be darned vigilant to make it happen.

If MLSE's track record has proven anything it's that the facility will be a success, as they are an unqualified business success. Given their track record, on the field is where I'll place my anxiety.

Under that scenario only their portion of the investment will be in jeopardy not the public's.

I know you started this poll for Toronto-area fans, but I grew up in T.O. and have heard/read all of your nominees.

My vote is for Perkins. He's on an all-out crusade against the stadium and, it seems, soccer in general -- facts be damned! He continually downplays the stadium's vital role hosting the WYC in favour of harping on the MLSE connection. Yes, MLSE is involved and benefits greatly with a stadium for its pro soccer team, but this stadium is needed for a much larger, civic endeavour with benefits beyond what MLSE is getting.

McCown is a jerk and I couldn't stand listening to him, but bear in mind there is a certain amount of theatre and artifice involved in talk radio. I don't think he's guilty of being much more than a blowhard, which is somewhat of a virtue in his medium.

Perkins is worse because he's advancing his cause in a venue where readers expect more attention to facts and more honest arguments.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Although I cannot recall an attempt at a soccer article (perhaps to his credit), any discussion of the biggest buffoon in the media absolutely must include Al Strachan.

One day in 2001 at the Duke of York (the current meeting place for the Toronto MLS club supporters) the Ultras happened to run into Al Strachan. We mentioned we were going to the soccer game at Varsity Stadium (which is across the street basically) and he made some crack that he wasn't going to attend because he didn't want to fall asleep watching soccer.

Later in the year during a spot on After 40 Minutes on HNIC Strachan claimed to support Millwall. So either he was lying on air for some unknown reason, or he does like soccer and was just being an asshole to a friendly group of fans for some unknown reason (except possibly that he is an asshole).

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Later in the year during a spot on After 40 Minutes on HNIC Strachan claimed to support Millwall. So either he was lying on air for some unknown reason, or he does like soccer and was just being an asshole to a friendly group of fans for some unknown reason (except possibly that he is an asshole).

Being an asshole and supporting Millwall do go hand in hand, so no surprises there!

Oh, and I vote for Perkins too.

I vote for McClown...for biting the hand that once fed him. He used to draw a salary from soccer when he did play-by-play commentary for one of the old NASL clubs...Ft. Lauderdale Strikers IIRC.

Honourable mention to Landsberg...he finds soccer boring but kisses the asses of wrestlers like there's no tomorrow.

GL I pleaded with Alfons more than numerous times to do an article on the Canadian media and to expose their true feelings. Alfons said there is nothing wrong with the media it is the CSA who are at fault. So I suppose following Alfons rational it is a tos up between Kevan Pipe and Jerkins.After some extremely long innner dicussions I came to the conclusion that Alfons was really and truly f.upped and that Kevan was a shining example of pure determination on behalf of Canadian soccer and that Jerkins should be hanged.

I have not decided yet which tree or what venue but it would be nice to watch!Only truly kidding guys,and just a very bad dream.

Jerkins all the way!

Guest Domi Rulezz
quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Sad to see that Landsburg puts soccer people on his show and talks about soccer but you guys still rip him.

Even sadder to see that a grown man has the reading comprehension skills of a 3 year old chimpanzee.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Do I know that firing the Raptors GM is not a cover up? Yes I do. How? Vince Carter trade. Drafting Arujo. Publically saying we are going to be worse this year than last. If anything, firing the GM is a cover for Peddie's incompetance on the sports side of things. He seems to be doing something for the sake of doing it so he can keep his job. Besides, nobody besides Perkins is on about this huge stadium "cover up".

It is one of the functions of the sports media (particularly columnists) to state opinions and float ideas. Last night on Sportsnet, Brunt stated an opinion that the firing is a result of Chris Bosch not liking the former GM. Is that any more valid a theory than Perkins'? IMO, no.

quote:

As for managing the stadiums, somebody has to do it. MLSE does a pretty good job managing the ACC. I'm pretty sure they have the talent to manage the other facilities.

The John Labatt Centre in London, Ontario is managed by Global Spectrum one of the worlds largest facility management companies.

Yes, someone has to do it and yes (as you point out) there are other companies that do it. Some do it well (any complaints about the JL?). Just seems that the City of Toronto's rolodex only has one company in it....MLSE. If the rumours of the Union Station deal prove to be true this will be amazing. The City had a deal with another group and has dragged it's heals signing it for over 2 years....if they break that deal and do one with MLSE, there will be very large law suits to settle.

quote:

And for people who think this stadium will lose money, the Labatt Centre in London grossed USD$14.3-million in 2005.

Well, firstly, gross numbers are largely meaningless without knowing what has to be netted out (operating expenses, debt, depreciation, etc etc). The reason the management company would quote them is that they are, typically, paid as a percentage of gross so their shareholders only care about gross (although a growing number of property owners are moving towards compensating the managing company with smaller percentage of gross and a bonus based on net income to create a better connection between the goals of the owner and the goals of the manager).

Even if, however, gross mattered...I understand the JL is full (+/- 10,000) +/- 40 times a year for hockey and hosts top billing concerts every year as well as other events. It is not hard to imagine that they see over a million people pass through their doors annually. Does anyone think that will be the case at the EX?

quote:

As for the specific MLSE deals, the hope is our elected officials and our bureaucrats would sign deals that are fair and protect the public.

In the case of the City of Toronto, that has not always been the case. If you need some background on how well the City has done on signing deals I need only say 3 letters to point in the direction of your research......MFP

It is one of the functions of the sports media (particularly columnists) to state opinions and float ideas. Last night on Sportsnet, Brunt stated an opinion that the firing is a result of Chris Bosch not liking the former GM. Is that any more valid a theory than Perkins'? IMO, no.

Too bad then that Perkins didn't state this opinion or float this idea in his column on the firing of the Raptors GM the next day. It might have helped him look slightly less myopic, single-minded, crazy-agenda-driven and bitter that a $1.37 is going to be taken out of his pocket to a stadium designed for a sport he can't stand.

Archived