U-Sector Mailing List + Meeting Info

SeanKeay

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might be worthwhile to have a list going of everyone on the board who has attended one of the meetings thus far (& therefore shown an interest in the group), just to make it easier to ensure we haven't missed getting someone's contact info (and if your name is missing from the list of attendees feel free to point it out):

Attendees have included:

G-L

Ryan Keay

Sean Keay

Ben Lauden

Juaninho

Torontosupport

Grasshopper

Polish Lynx Fan

zacRWE

Morrison

Breakwood

Varsity Tyler

David Bailey

Real Gooner

Rudi

Free Kick

Behrouz

Bill Spiers

johntv

Metro

sstacko

BusanBhoy

Franky

Rocket Robin

Jarrek

Glenn

Massive Attack

Marc P.

I'm assuming we can safely add Jayway once he's back in town. Have I missed anyone?

We should get it started right away, even if we don't have all of the email addresses for the names on the list of 27 above. That way we can start to promote the list to other interested potential members on other boards (like bigsoccer.com, where people have been asking about our regular meetings).

Guest silvaplate

Hey everybody, I'm a newbie to the site. It took me awhile to find an organized group of diehard fans like you guys for the Toronto Club Team. I thought we were gonna end up having to cheer on toronto with the same generic chants as every other North American sports team. It would be crazy if the entire group could sit in the same section and get roudy just like the other futbol fans outside of North America

I'm a little confused on the name being used. What is U-Sector mean? Is that like similar to the Chicago Fire's Section 8 Fans?

quote:Originally posted by silvaplate

I'm a little confused on the name being used. What is U-Sector mean? Is that like similar to the Chicago Fire's Section 8 Fans?

Welcome! Please do join in on discussions. As for U Sector, I understand that back when the Lynx played at Varsity stadium the rowdiest and most vocal fans sat in Section U of the stands. The name just stuck for Toronto supporters.

U-Sector refers to the section at Varsity where the original group used to stand in for Lynx matches. I don't know that the name will stick for the MLS team (especially if we do get a section of our own and it isn't U) but we've got a lot of time to discuss that.

Welcome to the board by the way!

G-L were you able to confirm that the mlsintoronto poster on BigSoccer really was posting from MLSE email? (he said you could confirm it)If he is the real deal and wants to come to the next meeting it would be good for us to come up with some possible discussion points to put forward to them.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

G-L were you able to confirm that the mlsintoronto poster on BigSoccer really was posting from MLSE email? (he said you could confirm it)If he is the real deal and wants to come to the next meeting it would be good for us to come up with some possible discussion points to put forward to them.

I asked him to send me an email to discuss the supporters group, and by the looks of his response on the board, he has done so. I should be able to confirm this by Monday, which is when I next get a chance to check my work email address (I'm currently web-only on weekends until I move into my new house in the spring). He sounds very legit. in my view, especially the way he responded to MediaGuy's suggestion that he was a phony by pointing out that I could confirm he has a legit. email address. I'm going to assume for the moment he is and I will keep everyone informed here of our discussions until we have the mailing list set up (then we can use that). I think the best thing we can do though is to set up another get together in conjunction with this guy so we can all talk to him, not just me. The Austria match is on a Wednesday so we don't need to tie ourselves to that.

For others that haven't seen his posts on bigsoccer I've taken the liberty of reproducing the more interesting bits here (the reference to the bs meter is because someone sensed that with his post, hence his calling on me to confirm he is the real deal):

"As for a supporters group, that is something we definitely are interested in helping to cultivate. I will be at your next meeting Captain Canuck, and will be interested in learning ways to help without taking over...to ensure everyone's success I feel pretty strongly that the supporters club will need to grow and evolve on its own (for those of you with a built in bull**** meter). But we'd definitely be interested in things like: cheap tickets, providing a locked space on-site (if needed), perhaps putting the family-friendly lyrics to songs on the video board and cooperative things like that.

I think in return for this type of cooperation we'd be looking for help and advice getting to soccer fans...in my mind I see there being no easy way to make soccer a success here. Its going to take lots of effort - the pool is extremely wide, but not very deep yet. Any help we can get to have people try it we should use. Once people come - its the atmosphere they'll stay for.

Another nice thing is that this will become a Saturday night by the lake tradition. Can't wait to bring my own kids.

Regarding flares and smoke bombs, control and safety would be big issues for us. Security is such a big issue for us that (for those of you who haven't been to Air Canada Centre lately) we actually have bag checks, random wanding, and pat-downs at games. As a native Torontonian, it makes me shiver every time I see that, but all one has to do is imagine if something bad happened at ACC and then ask: did MLSEL do everything it could? yikes - this isn't Kansas any more! I digress..."

Wow G-L, that's great news. It is certainly encouraging to hear that MLSE, or at least someone from MLSE is willing to work with us and give us the space to make the U-Sector be a force to be reckoned with.

I was worried that the MLSE would be leaning heavily on its marketing gurus, but this is encouraging news.

Guest silvaplate

Thanks for filling me in on the U-Sector meaning everyone.

As for MLSE guy saying he'd come to the meetings, if that is legit that's pretty cool of MLSE to do that. I just hope the "geniuses" in marketing don't charge up the ass for tickets. Just look at basketball. I love the Raptors, i bleed purple and red. My mood is based on them winning and losing (its been a depressing year), and when they win, boy i'm ecstatic. But i can't afford to catch their games. There are no Hardcore Group out there for the Raptors. The people who sit and watch their games, are like the tight asses who can afford it.

Like what i don't get, how can you boo your own team. In Brazil, if their team is down, they blame themeselves for not cheering hard enough, that or they blame the ref. We need that sort of pride in our sports teams. We didn't have to get a basketball team, we didn't have to get a soccer team, But We did get it and we should support it 100%.

Basketball is a poormans sport, and so is soccer. "It's the People's Game". MLSE markets to the wrong fans. I just hope they don't make that mistake for our MLS team. If they want good crowd support, they need affordable tickets.

Anyways, that was my rant, you could agree or you could disagree, aside from us getting our own section, they need to sell cheap tickets to get real soccer fans in the stadium. I know its a longshot for me to watch a game at the stadium and drink a couple beers for less than 60 bucks, but i can dream right.

Assuming mlsintoronto is working with the Leafs MLS launch team, its a great opportunity that we need to grasp with both hands. Before our next meeting with him we should agree on some basic topics that we want to discuss. I'm really excited that the Leafs want to work with the grassroots to make this work. Too often MLS decisions are made by marketing nerds in ivory towers who end up missing the mark and alienating the people they think they are marketing to.

Ok, well since we need to talk as a group before we meet really with the guy from mlse. I would like to do a U-Sector chat,

We always used to do them on Sunday Nights @ 9:00

First U-Sector Online Chat

FEB 11th 2006

9:00

(URL WILL BE HERE by the end of the week)

I also will be sending out emails to everyone who has sent me there addy. Also if you have ideas in which you would like to be brought up durring the meeting, do you guys mind emailing them to me so i can kind of organize the order and such in which we talk at the meeting.

Also, this sunday is out of questions since well... if your not drunk and watching the superbowl, you arnt really our kinda supporters :)

So Please set your organizers for Sunday the 11th @ 9:00 at nite!!

I'm supposed to be away that weekend, I will hopefully be back in time before 9pm, but I'm not sure yet. However, there's no guarantee even if I do get back in time that I could reserve the computer I borrow on weekends to do the chat.

Having said that, while there's no harm in having weekly chats, I think we can probably do most of the necessary discussion re: the meeting with MLSE via the mailing list before the 11th anyway - I'd like to get back to MLSE about a prospective meeting date(s) well before the 11th anyway.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Also G-l.... we dont need to rush anything..

So says the guy that rushed out to call MLSE. ;)

I'm not saying we should rush things, but at the same time there is no need to wait unnecessarily. They sound just as enthusiastic as we are so we might as well keep the momentum going.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I'm not saying we should rush things, but at the same time there is no need to wait unnecessarily. They sound just as enthusiastic as we are so we might as well keep the momentum going.

I agree, the season starts in a little more than a year. I can assure you that the next 14-odd months are going to go very quickly as far as getting a Supporters Group up and ready for opening day. Especially if we want to be among the best in the league.

I think a meeting for late Feb. or early March would be good. We might want to do the weekend after the Canada-Austria match in case we are required to distribute copies of the match in the event Sportsnet (or anyone else) doesn't show it. Though I guess with the torrent thing that's less of a concern, but you never know.

On another note, with that match only a month away now, it might be Sportsnet-pestering time again.

Archived