Canadians abroad: January 6-12, 2006

DJT

Some interesting quotes from the Burnley manager.

Cotterill was envious of Derby having Peschisolido.

"If he had been playing for us, we would have won. I thought he would be a thorn in our side because he nicks goals," added Cotterill.

If not in the starting line-up, he surely has to be on the bench. He remains more capable of nicking a goal than any other player on the staff.

http://www.therams.co.uk/

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Spurs: great in the league, crap in the cups.

I used to hear that it was the opposite. A Spurs fan once told me that they were a Cup team. One that was strong financially but not quite at the level of the true premiership contenders. So they geared themselves up for cup matches seeing it as an opportunity to sneak into Europe.

We used to be a cup team, We always used to win the FA cup.

When the year ends in 1, we won it..... but i guess it has changed ever since we won the league cup back in (i think 99)

But either way, ill take 4th in the Premiership then a FA cup championship

Come on u spurs!!!

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Metro

Daniel Fernandes played 90 minutes today as PAOK played to a 2-2 draw with their Salonica rivals, Apollon Kalamarias.

Bad result for them as they got behind in the first minutes on an own goal, Kalamaria scored again before the break, and Paok had to scrape back for a draw in the second half. Seems the second goal saw an opposing player go through the defense uncontested and score on a hard drive. Still, crap result, a win over this weaker team would have put them into fourth with a look at third, which I think is a Champions spot for Greece.

Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar was subbed out m 75 as Gondomar tried to get back into a game at home to Vizela, though they lost 2-4. Gondomar's first goal, which put them ahead in the first half, came after the keeper could not handle a hard Aguiar shot which was put in by a striker. But Vizela fought back, seems the team has lost a bit of pace in the last month.

They are 7th, 10 pts. back of the leaders and 8 from promotion in the Liga de Honra. Considering that Gondomar was relegated to third tier last year and were only readmitted in late August after two teams were chucked out of the Portugal 2nd tier for financial irregularities, they are actually doing quite well. That was the reason Aguiar was such a late signing for them, indeed the season had already begun when they came into the league and they had to make up two games in midweek matches.

Rocco Placentino played the entire match as Gualdo tied Montevarchi 1-1 in Serie C2B on Sunday. Gualdo sit 5 points out of the final playoff spot.

Julian Uccello was nowhere to be seen again as Sansovino defeated Castel San Pietro 1-0 in Serie C2B on Sunday. Sansovino are in first place with a 1 point lead. Hopefully our friend Alberto from Como can give us an update on Julian's status (injury?)

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Bad result for them as they got behind in the first minutes on an own goal, Kalamaria scored again before the break, and Paok had to scrape back for a draw in the second half. Seems the second goal saw an opposing player go through the defense uncontested and score on a hard drive. Still, crap result, a win over this weaker team would have put them into fourth with a look at third, which I think is a Champions spot for Greece.

Not exactly...due to recent bad results, Champions League spots for Greece have been reduced to 2.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/article.asp?hlid=351844

Goal means nothing

10 Jan 2006 09:19

Paul Stalteri said his spectacular first goal in a Spurs shirt means nothing to him now.

The full-back went on a charge in the 40th minute and, after accepting the ball from Robbie Keane, fired home into the top corner from the right edge of the Leicester penalty area.

It sparked a naturally esctatic reaction from the Canadian but joy was short-lived as the home side managed a reply before the break that completely altered the course of the game.

"Unfortunately it means nothing now," said Paul of his strike. "You can't allow yourself to go two goals up away from home and then give up three after that. It is a major disappointment for us to get knocked out of the cup again and all the goals they scored could have been prevented from our point of view.

"We allowed them to get the goals, but I still think we created enough chances to score more. You have to give them credit, they fought and battled for the 90 minutes. They could have dropped their heads after going two down, but they didn't and made it tough for us.

"When you score a second goal at that point you have to be careful and make sure you see the half out. Letting in a goal before half-time gave them a bit of momentum, we gave them a bit of life going into the second half.

"We are out of the cups and have to focus on the league now as it is all we can play for. We have to look to finish in the top six and anything outside of that would be a disappointment for us."

It is back to Premiership business on Saturday, a challenge the 28-year-old says the team must immediately focus on.

"It is going to be a difficult game and it will be our third away game in a row. Liverpool have an excellent record at home and don't let in many goals. We must re-group mentally and physically and go again."

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian de Guzman left at home as Depor went to Pamplona, losing 2-1 in the King's Cup to Osasuna but going through to the final 8 on aggregate. Either he is injured or has a knock, or he is being pushed off the squad. I find it damn odd frankly.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Julian de Guzman left at home as Depor went to Pamplona, losing 2-1 in the King's Cup to Osasuna but going through to the final 8 on aggregate. Either he is injured or has a knock, or he is being pushed off the squad. I find it damn odd frankly.

Or maybe they just gave him the night off?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Or maybe they just gave him the night off?

He has not played in the last 6 games I think it is now. Worrying. Though Depor has a long list of players coming out of contract and possible transfers and loans, and he never appears on any of them. Odd that Victor getting healthy pushed him out of the right attacking midfield, and now they've signed Arizmendi (famed for knocking us out of the WYCup in Arab Emirates in extra time), and Victor is not playing as much. Tons of attacking players at Depor, so the option for him more and more will be one of the two holding mids.

Unless he is a bit injured and noone is saying anything too loudly about it....

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Rocco Placentino played the entire match as Gualdo tied Montevarchi 1-1 in Serie C2B on Sunday. Gualdo sit 5 points out of the final playoff spot.

Julian Uccello was nowhere to be seen again as Sansovino defeated Castel San Pietro 1-0 in Serie C2B on Sunday. Sansovino are in first place with a 1 point lead. Hopefully our friend Alberto from Como can give us an update on Julian's status (injury?)

Ciao a tutti It has been a long haul for me. Had heart surgery and have been out of action for a while. But all is good and I'm glad that im still here. No flowers please, just cigars thanks for those who care....

Julian is fine the latest news Had a injury that required missing 5 games with Monte Sansovino, according to his father who surprised me with a visit in the hospital with Julian. They also told me that Julian was transferred to Sansepolcro in Serie D. The reason all of these teams and including Julian agent met with the Arezzo club director of sport who called for him after and meet him after watching him play in a match coppa Italia game.

Arezzo is very interested in Julian they also own Sansepolcro in Serie D same President. Sansovino uses 4-2-3-1, and Julian time is limited on this team to maybe 20 minutes or so in a game.

As Monte Sansovino had purchased Julian for a 4-4-2 line up. Since all is going well with his former team all of these clubs made an accord that would see Julian go to Sansepolcro who needed a striker a full time position, Arezzo expressing possible interest in him after the season in June if not He will go back to Sansovino for next year team with more playing time, if Arezzo does not pick him after the season. Arezzo sends an attacker from their first team who has not see any playing time with his club to Sansovino on loan who can play that one striker role for them if needed and or get the 25 minutes or so of playing time that julian gave up or if their attacker should get hurt. Its a win win situation for all clubs but most of all for Julian and the Arezzo attacker on loan..

Just a note Foggia was virtually minutes late in acquiring Julian services in C1.

He is in good health and is looking forward to help his new club progress.

http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/index.php?action=read&id=17967

http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/index.php?action=read&id=17885

http://www.arezzocalcio.it/news/view_news.php?news=1506

Archived