Canadians abroad: January 6-12, 2006

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EST.

Saturday, January 7

2:00 PM on GolTV Canada — Spain: Primera División

Athletic Club Bilbao vs. Deportivo de La Coruña (Julian de Guzman)

Sunday, January 8

1:30 PM on Pay-Per-View — England: FA Cup Third Round

Leicester City (Iain Hume) vs. Tottenham (Paul Stalteri)

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for January 6-12, 2006.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Considering the source, this isn't worth its own thread, so I'll dump it here. I might not even post it if not for being able to see ****tu repeatedly.

Steve Bruce planning New Year swoop for QPR's Marc Bircham, 27, and Danny ****tu;Nico's league;Gossip from the Coca-Cola League;Football

Graham Nickless

98 words

1 January 2006

The News of the World

English

© 2006 News Group Newspapers. All rights reserved

STEVE BRUCE is planning a New Year swoop for QPR's Marc Bircham, 27, and Danny ****tu.

The under-fire Birmingham boss wants midfield hardman Bircham and Nigerian defender ****tu, 25, to beef up his Premiership strugglers.

And Bruce will have to cough up Pounds 1.5million if he wants to snatch MK Dons' 10-goal hotshot Izale McLeod, 21, away from Wolves' clutches.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Heh, people on one of the Leicester City forums have sent in rumours which were obviously not true and football transfers posted them. ;)

Incredible how easy it is to start a rumour isn't. I'll bet that same place somewhere there is a club that got a hold of these rumours and actually followed through to make it come true. :D

Re JB;

Well, you never know. Certainly has been in the Worthington dog house for a while now, can be had on the cheap and I think his contract is up after the '05-'06 campain so no long term commitment. Well payed for Div 1, especialy a non-starter, but very affordable for any EPL club.

Certainly needs a move, in my humble opinion, and maybe he's finaly realised it to.

Olivier Occean is playing indoor soccer for Lillestrom this week in Germany. He has played in 2 tournaments against the team I support in Germany. Lillestrom won both tournaments playing mostly against 3 and 4th division German clubs although they did defeat 1st Bundesliga Armenia Bielefeld in the first tournament in Leipzig. Occean scored one goal in this tournament. He also scored once in todays tournament in Halle but the goal scorers of the semi and final matches haven't been posted yet. Unfortunately Lillestrom beat my club in the final of the second tournament. The teams usually rotate players a lot in such tournaments so he may not have played in all the games.

Here is a picture of him with the team and trophy

116037-high.jpg

Here is a video link:http://www.mdr.de/sport/2374727-Medium-''-d-WinMedVideo.html

quote:Originally posted by Peschfan

Pesch interview with BBC radio Derby

Thanks for this. He gives good interviews and speaks his mind.

On not playing: "It's been terrible. One of the lowest points of my career."

Also a bit of transfer speculation being linked to Preston.

Good interviews with Pesch. What a strange accent he has. He has this super strong Canadian accent with a hint of British on top. I would actually expect him to have more British accent considering the amount of time he has been there. Doesn't have half the British accent of a certain Calgarian who has spent how much time living in Britain. Love the way the interviewer is absolutely clueless about how to pronounce his name in the first interview.

Guest Jeffery S.

De Guzman was on the bench for Depor today, who won 1-2 over Bilbao to go third in the league.

Now I am getting a bit concerned about his situation, in the mid-week Cup game Depor won over Osasuna he was not even in the line-up. That is about 4-5 games without playing, after having a great run in November-early December. After they lost to Villareal at home he was benched, seemingly because he did not hold well, but I thought he might get back after Depor lost at home to Espanyol before Xmas, as the coach often makes such changes after a bad result.

Though he has more competition with more players healthy and the team doing quite well (their line-ups are quite offensive lately, the 4-3-3 with often two of the mids strong going forwards), and they've signed a new striker, I am a bit surprised he has been dropped so quickly after having a role earlier.

The possible explanation is that the coach in fact is not convinced, and since Caparrós just signed a contract extension has decided to assert his new security and sign players that please him more. Which would be too bad for Julian after looking so good just 6 weeks ago.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Good to see him get a couple after a long period of not getting a start. :D

Reports say that his first, first half, was a deflected shot. The second, next half after Burnley had drawn, was a 15 yarder.

De Vos had a header go off the post in the 2nd half and reports seem to suggest that I. Town had much of the run of the play.

Brennan was on the bench for Norwich, who lost.

Fulham and Spurs go on Sunday.

Watched the full Luton-Liverpool match in a pub off the Ramblas today, walked in and found myself sitting beside two 30-something guys from Toronto touring Europe and going to footie matches. Had been to games sitting in the Kop at Anfield (big Liverpool fans), Celtic Park, Old Trafford, were at the snowed out game in Newcastle, went to the Espanyol-Barça tonight. Then to Amsterdam. Real die hard fans these guys, but not too keen on the Canadian game. In any case, that was a hell of a match, had a great time surrounded by scousers and a bunch of Welshmen who were speaking Welsh to each other, damn hard accent in English, all Liverpool fans.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Reports say that his first, first half, was a deflected shot. The second, next half after Burnley had drawn, was a 15 yarder.

In the BBC interview posted above, the reporter calls the second "a spectacular little lob".

Pesch steers Rams into fourth round

Derby County 2 v 1 Burnley

Paul Peschisolido netted a clinical brace to steer Derby into the FA Cup fourth round at the expense of Coca-Cola Championship rivals Burnley.

The 34-year-old Canadian was forced to plough a lone furrow in attack with Rams boss Phil Brown desperately short of attacking options.

But he duly delivered with a goal in either half to sandwich Gareth O'Connor's equaliser and ease the pressure on his manager.

Two points from their last four league games has left the Rams facing a survival battle in and in need of a remedy for their Christmas and New Year hangover.

But victory over high-flying Burnley provided a welcome tonic for Derby's long-suffering Pride Park faithful, who had seen their team dumped out of the Carling Cup by Grimsby earlier in the season.

Derby boss Brown named 42-year-old goalkeeping coach Kevin Poole in the starting line-up in place of England Under-21 star Lee Camp, who was nursing a hip injury.

It was not the news Brown needed and Burnley enhanced their status as serious play-off contenders by making a purposeful start.

Steve Cotterill's Clarets have emerged as one of the surprise packages of the season and they wasted no time stamping their authority on proceedings.

They bundled Liverpool out of the competition at the third round stage last season and were clearly eager to embark on another run.

In-form striker Ade Akinbiyi teased and tormented Derby defender Lewin Nyatanga on the left flank and produced a quality cross which Poole was forced to pluck out of the air.

Seconds later, Poole rolled back the years with a superb double save to deny Chris McCann and Akinbiyi in quick succession.

Burnley were dominant, but Derby immediately tore upfield and opened the scoring after 17 minutes through Peschisolido.

The 34-year-old Canadian found the space on the left flank and hit a cross-shot which deflected off Burnley winger Wade Elliott and into the net for only his fourth goal of the season.

Akinbiyi earned himself a booking after hurling a tirade of abuse at the linesman, but the Clarets came back strongly and wiped out Derby's lead within 11 minutes O'Connor collected possession and fired home from 25 yards right-footed under Poole and into the bottom corner for his eighth goal of the campaign.

Poole should have done better but he was left to breath a huge sigh of relief shortly before the hour mark when Akinbiyi wasted a great opportunity to put Burnley ahead.

Elliott raced to the byline on the right flank and delivered a perfect cross across the face of goal, but Akinbiyi could only skew an errant show horribly wide.

And Derby took advantage as Peschisolido restored their lead after 67 minutes.

The livewire striker collected Inigo Idiakez's pass 15 yards from goal and chipped home into the far corner for his fifth goal of the season to put the Rams into the hat for the fourth round draw.

A lot of Spurs fans seem to be blaming defenders Gardner & Kelly for the loss (defensively speaking - they also want Polish striker Rasiak castrated). Perhaps now the avalanche of complaints that Kelly should be played instead of Stalteri will stop (its almost a daily request in the Spurs forum on bigsoccer.com).

Archived