DeRo's chances of moving to MLS TO improving?

Gian-Luca

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Population does not make a good market. If that was the case London England would be a great place for MLB to put a team into.

Hong Kong would be a hotbed of hockey- perfect for the NHL.

San Jose is a HUGE market to lose. The Bay area population is 7 million. It's home to some very rich corporations and people.

Population does not mean market. A market is an area that wants your product.

MLS should be looking at successful soccer operators first before launching PIPE dream ventures into place that can't even support USL teams or indoor squads.

keep talking out of your ass G-L.

As you clearly don't know your ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to soccer (which probably makes walking down the street a very interesting experience for you), I find your last comment quite ironic. Especially as well that you are comparing soccer's popularity in Houston to that of NHL Hockey in Hong Kong or Baseball in London. Got news for you - Houston is a much better market for soccer than those cities are for those sports. Just by a tad or a smidgin some might say. MLS has mentioned that Houston has had good response to international matches, good soccer media coverage and good MLS TV ratings. If you think they are talking out of their ass as well, you go right on ahead and think that, its obvious that you have some sort of ass fixation.

Anyway, trying to bring this thread back on topic after it has been sabotaged (as just about any thread on MLS is on this board), here is the latest development for San Jose's 2007 team, with the city offering $80 million for an expansion team:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/soccer/13421037.htm

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Nice job in avoiding reality.

Just to recap:

I brought up several points about the mistakes that Chivas made in overestimating its own market (which is a distinct offshoot of the Hispanic community), you brought up points about "reality" and "proving" your erroneous point.

With debate skills like these, you really should have been a politician...

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

How many people here think that it has probably been at least a year since Mr. Keay has been able to study his fixation anywhere other than on a computer screen? [:X] How many think that nevertheless this is twice as recent as the last time either G-Man or Doyle-G had this pleasure? [:0]

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

As you clearly don't know your ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to soccer (which probably makes walking down the street a very interesting experience for you), I find your last comment quite ironic. Especially as well that you are comparing soccer's popularity in Houston to that of NHL Hockey in Hong Kong or Baseball in London. Got news for you - Houston is a much better market for soccer than those cities are for those sports. Just by a tad or a smidgin some might say. MLS has mentioned that Houston has had good response to international matches, good soccer media coverage and good MLS TV ratings. If you think they are talking out of their ass as well, you go right on ahead and think that, its obvious that you have some sort of ass fixation.

Anyway, trying to bring this thread back on topic after it has been sabotaged (as just about any thread on MLS is on this board), here is the latest development for San Jose's 2007 team, with the city offering $80 million for an expansion team:

80 million eh?

Hell MLSE got a MLS team, a SSS and someone to take care of any debt over 500K a year for third of that. Only in Canada you say--pitty.

The only reason the MLS is leaving a market of 7 million is cause lost a game of chicken with the city. At the end of the day the city said-- no free ride.

It is bad for MLS. LA/ San Jose was the only true rivalry in the circuit and now that one "ultra" like derby is gone....

And one thing on "Double headers" it's a scam. How many people who know the game G-L, would believe for a moment believe that the 88,816 fans that showed up at the L.A. Coliseum on August 10 were there to see the Galaxy and Chivas USA instead of Mexican sides CD Chivas and Club America?

Take away the those "big name" games and the MLS is looking more and more like the top 3 teams in the USL. Those double headers are fraudulent in nature..

And did 52K show up at Giants stadium for the MetroStars biggest crowd by about 30K not to see England, Beckham and co Vs Columbia, but to see the Fire! SURE....take that game out and the Metrostars average goes down by 2000 a game.

Take them away and San Jose ends up 4Th in league attendance. And the figures in a 32 team NASL don't look so bad...

The MLS is ****ting on some of the most passionate fans the league has. It sent Donovan to LA to boast crowds there. By the way AEG owns 4 MLS teams including the team Donovan was sent to....thanks for buying season tickets, but market "A" means more to us than you do...Wonder if they'll come back?

4 teams owned by AEG. Lamar Hunts owns 3 teams. Nice to see owners committed to local fans... Wonder if this would happen in a real league.

As for the A's interest- they want to leave Oakland for a nice new stadium in San Jose...so much for a SSS...if they're involved...they just want Oakland to give in to their upcoming demands..and if Oakland does..they'll drop MLS like a stone.

The more exposed this league is..the more a joke it is. It did better at the gate in 96 than it did in 06.

Down 2000 a game.

Read the article further and you will find the catch.

Oh I fought so hard to avoid posting in this thread, but I gave in.

San Jose moving to Houston isn't the death of MLS, but I don't think it's a good thing. Can Houston be a strong MLS market? Absolutely, but so could and should other places, but aren't. Or in the case of New England were very strong and are now struggling. There's no guarantee that Houston will succeed or even be better than San Jose.

The Houston situation isn't too different from San Jose, it's just that the stadium deal (not in a SSS, not where they are the primary tenant) is sweeter. That may make a big difference. It might not.

What worries me about the state of the league is that you have a team with tradition, two titles, a committed (though not as large as it should be or needs to be) fan base. In an area that supported NASL and the APSL solidly. There were grass roots efforts to save the team and they were located in a part of the U.S. that should have been flush with possible corporate backers. And it still didn't work. Without a good stadium deal and a SSS they decided it couldn't work.

Spartan had one of the best atmospheres in the league. They had one of the most entertaining teams. They had the best rivalry and none of that is enough to make it viable.

The lack of interest from other ownership groups is also troubling. SJ and KC are on the block (and KC had a decent 2004 attendance wise and had a good WCQ gate before going lame duck for 2005) for a year and there’s no one biting. I had no problem with Hunt and Anschultz owning half of the league if they’re committed to all of those teams. But they don’t seem to be. Not entirely. They’re unwilling to keep losing money (and I don’t blame them) and want out of certain markets, then I think they’re spread too thin. They can’t afford to build SSS for every team they own and both seem convinced without them they can’t make a go of it.

Hunt says they’re moving KC and then seems surprised when people stay away in droves this past year. Now he announces they’re staying for another year just to try to convince people that the team might stay, so step up and buy your season’s tickets. Maybe the Missouri Azurri play in The Show Me state for a reason.

If a SSS is necessity then KC and NE are both in trouble. Actually they’re probably both in trouble anyway. And I don’t know that this will be a guaranteed cure all. It definitely helps, but I’m curious how Dallas does with a whole season in PHP. The league is getting close to having all SSS, but Miami had a SSS and a good team and didn't survive.

Yes the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB have all moved teams. And so has the NASL, USFL, WFL, WHA, ABA, etc. It doesn't mean the end, but it's not a sign of health. Especially when you're fleeing a market that you probably should have succeeded in.

cheers,

matthew

And yet you complain that we can't stay on the tpoic at hand.

Moron.

And a Merry Christmas to you to!

One of these days those of you (including G-Man, who's last post I didn't even bother to read) who post like a broken record are going to have to accept you are going to get tuned out like one.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Oh I fought so hard to avoid posting in this thread, but I gave in.

San Jose moving to Houston isn't the death of MLS, but I don't think

The lack of interest from other ownership groups is also troubling. SJ and KC are on the block (and KC had a decent 2004 attendance wise and had a good WCQ gate before going lame duck for 2005) for a year and there’s no one biting.

Well they appear to be biting now, at least in San Jose's case. Whether anything happens is another thing, but there has been interest from more than one group reported. It could simply be as many US MLS fans are suggesting, that they are biting now because MLS & AEG have finally called the city's bluff after 3 years (or however long its been since they've wanted to move the team).

quote:Originally posted by Gian-LucaWell they appear to be biting now, at least in San Jose's case. Whether anything happens is another thing, but there has been interest from more than one group reported. It could simply be as many US MLS fans are suggesting, that they are biting now because MLS & AEG have finally called the city's bluff after 3 years (or however long its been since they've wanted to move the team).

I personally tend to buy into the train of thought that AEG's demands were so ludicrous they drove any interested party away and now that they're gone, the interested parties are back on the scene.

However the difference between having someone buying the team now and moving them and trying to restart over is pretty large. I think the 'MLS is dead to me" brigade in San Jose will calm down if they get a 2007 expansion team, but they might have done irreperable harm to a solid market (I just read that San Jose was fifth in league attendance last year if you exclude the double-header gates, that's pretty solid numbers for a 'failing franchise'). Other sports have returned to spurned markets and all was forgiven. I'm not sure that will happen in SJ and I'm not sure if we'll even get a chance to find out.

cheers,

matthew

One of these days those of you (including G-Man, who's last post I didn't even bother to read) who post like a broken record are going to have to accept you are going to get tuned out like one.

Again you can't even debate without turning into an idiot. Sad to see that you have a belief that MLS will go back to San Jose. Yet the so-called $80 Million you talk about would go to a public vote and will not pass.

Nice to see that you don't reality get in the way of your views. Your truly pathetic.

Too bad-cause I said you were the sexiest man alive. EVER. Deranged, but sexy.

Again you can't even debate without turning into an idiot.

Is it so hard to post something without insulting others?

quote: Your truly pathetic.

A most damning statement about the author of this quote.

"Get a brain, moran!"

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Nice to see owners committed to local fans... Wonder if this would happen in a real league.

you mean "the most bestest league in the entire whole wide world"?

the one that was a joke when it treated fans like **** moving teams around all the time, it seems?

That "most bestest" league sure seems like it's in a ****hole now huh? ;)

Again you can't even debate without turning into an idiot. Sad to see that you have a belief that MLS will go back to San Jose.

Really? That's news to me. I had no idea I had this belief. That's funny, as I just thought I was reporting news when I posted that link. Still, who am I to argue with you about my own beliefs, you obviously know best!

I'm flattered though that you think I wasn't an idiot at one time, before turning into one, like Dr. Jekyll into Mr. Hyde. I'm touched, that means a lot to me. Thanks.

Archived