DeRo's chances of moving to MLS TO improving?

Gian-Luca

quote:Originally posted by morrison

you mean "the most bestest league in the entire whole wide world"?

the one that was a joke when it treated fans like **** moving teams around all the time, it seems?

That "most bestest" league sure seems like it's in a ****hole now huh? ;)

bestest league? what are you trying to say? I've never used the term bestest, but I will use it now. You bestest clarify what you're trying to say.

Every point I've raised from the "double headers" raising attendance figues for teams to the fact that it's such a great investment that 7 teams are owned by a single company and a realy realy realy rich soccer nut. That's 7 out of 12. Has been ignored. So I must be right.

The MLS having lost 250 million in 10 years, with the folding outright of two clubs in strong soccer markets and then moving the team witha great fan base and history to a location that has never supported pro soccer is league finding it's way in the dark.

Think about it. NO AMERICAN market wanted to be part of the MLS so they came NORTH and found a sucker in the city of Toronto and the CSA.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by G-Man

it's such a great investment that 7 teams are owned by a single company and a realy realy realy rich soccer nut. That's 7 out of 12. Has been ignored. So I must be right.

FYI the owners of the MLS franchises at this point:

- Phil Anschutz & the Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG): owner of Los Angeles Galaxy, Chicago Fire, Houston and MetroStars

- Lamar Hunt & the Hunt Sports Group (HSG): owner of FC Dallas, Kansas City Wizards and Columbus Crew (owners of the Kansas City Chiefs of the NFL)

- Robert Kraft & Kraft Soccer: owner of SuperBowl champion New England Patriots and the New England Revolution in MLS (and potentially Liverpool FC of the EPL)

- Stan Kroenke & Kroenke Sports Enterprises (KSE): owner of the Colorado Rapids in MLS, the Denver Nuggets (NBA), and Colorado Avalanche (NHL)

- Dave Checketts & Sports Capital Partners: owner of Real Salt Lake and former president of the New York Rangers, New York Knicks and Madison Square Garden

- Jorge Vergara & Antonio Cue: owners of Chivas Guadalajara in Mexico and Chivas USA in MLS

- Global Sports & Entertainment: owners of D.C. United

- Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment: owners of Toronto MLS Franchise, the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL), the Toronto Raptors (NBA) and the Toronto Rock (MILL)

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

FYI the owners of the MLS franchises at this point:

- Phil Anschutz & the Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG): owner of Los Angeles Galaxy, Chicago Fire, Houston and MetroStars

- Lamar Hunt & the Hunt Sports Group (HSG): owner of FC Dallas, Kansas City Wizards and Columbus Crew (owners of the Kansas City Chiefs of the NFL)

- Robert Kraft & Kraft Soccer: owner of SuperBowl champion New England Patriots and the New England Revolution in MLS (and potentially Liverpool FC of the EPL)

- Stan Kroenke & Kroenke Sports Enterprises (KSE): owner of the Colorado Rapids in MLS, the Denver Nuggets (NBA), and Colorado Avalanche (NHL)

- Dave Checketts & Sports Capital Partners: owner of Real Salt Lake and former president of the New York Rangers, New York Knicks and Madison Square Garden

- Jorge Vergara & Antonio Cue: owners of Chivas Guadalajara in Mexico and Chivas USA in MLS

- Global Sports & Entertainment: owners of D.C. United

- Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment: owners of Toronto MLS Franchise, the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL), the Toronto Raptors (NBA) and the Toronto Rock (MILL)

Thanks for that....I think you will find, however, that the only relationship that MLSE has with the Rock is that of Landlord.....the Rock is owned by a group of investors led by Bill Watters

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

Thanks for that....I think you will find, however, that the only relationship that MLSE has with the Rock is that of Landlord.....the Rock is owned by a group of investors led by Bill Watters

I stand corrected I thought they were part owners as well - my error.

Bill

AEG's Sports Ownership

Majority: LA Galaxy, Chicago Fire, Metrostars, Houston MLS, LA Kings, Manchester Monarchs (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL)

Minority: LA Lakers, LA Sparks (WNBA), Hammarby IF

Controls the Staples Centre while HDC is owned by CSU-Dominguez

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

AEG's Sports Ownership

Majority: LA Galaxy, Chicago Fire, Metrostars, Houston MLS, LA Kings, Manchester Monarchs (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL)

Minority: LA Lakers, LA Sparks (WNBA), Hammarby IF

Controls the Staples Centre while HDC is owned by CSU-Dominguez

So what?

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

my orginal point is that there is no other league besides roller derby that allows owners to own more than 1 team. Let alone own 7 of 12 teams.

rather dodgy.

So perhaps MLS should force Hunt and Anschutz to get rid of the teams they each own and allow the league to collapse. [8)]

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

So perhaps MLS should force Hunt and Anschutz to get rid of the teams they each own and allow the league to collapse. [8)]

Exactly....the whole "single entity" structure has been very successful in accomplishing the very thing it sought to do...present some stability to the sports viewing world in terms of teams surviving and developing a fan base.

There are common themes in various threads here about MLS and CSL:

1...about MLS people are criticial of the mult-team ownership

2...about MLS people like to remind us all of the $250 million losses

3...about CSL people like to point out that some of the teams were successful but the league got dragged down by a continual stream of under-capiatlized owners in smaller centres that could not sustain the losses so the teams failed.

Well it really is a bit of a "you can't suck and blow" argument. If you have several mega rich owners you can absorb the big early losses and avoid the revolving franchise door.

If you don't, the CSL is what you get.

Pick one!

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

hey if they want to continue losing 4-6 million per year, pony up. must be a nice tax write off for them.

Interesting what we protect. This was and is (in my opinion) a very good example of bad 1960's architecture...it always looked like it was designed by Mike Brady after too much of Alice's meatloaf.

Just like Maple Leaf Gardens, it was the inside that evokes memories not the outside. Just not sure how we preserve that by forcing the continuation of a particularly bleak period of building design!

At least this new stadium (if I read the siteplan correctly) eliminates the second Strachan Avenue in Toronto.

Archived