Mitchell's U20 England series

The Ref

I didn't see any Alberta based player either nor any other province except for Ont and Que. I suspect that what they are doing here is looking at group by group in various regions for different tournaments and then as we approach 2007, you'll likely see a group emerging that is more geographically represenative of Cnd soccer demograpics. I wouldn't be surprised to see another event in the near future with a squad comprised largely of BC and/or western based players

here is the release taken from the CSA web page

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Mitchell Names Squad for UK Tour

Dale Mitchell

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s U20 National Team Head Coach, Dale Mitchell, has named his squad for the team’s upcoming tour to the UK. Mitchell’s team will arrive in Manchester on October 16th and begin the training camp with a friendly against Huddersfield Town U18s on October 19th. The young Canadians will then play the U18s teams of Liverpool (October 25), Manchester United (October 27), and Everton (October 29) before returning home on October 30th.

The training camp will be Mitchell’s first with the squad that will compete in the 2007 FIFA World Youth Championship in Canada and will undoubtedly provide Mitchell a chance to solidify his core group of players.

“Leading into 2007, several players will get the opportunity to show that they can play at this level,” said Mitchell.

“We are early in the process of developing our team and this initial trip to England is really still about finding out what players are capable of. We are pleased with the quality of the opponents we will be facing because it will make the trip a realistic test for these boys.”

Several players included in Mitchell’s squad have had international experience with a number of Canada’s Youth teams in the past and will certainly be looked upon for leadership and experience.

Defenders Stephen Lumley and Nana Attakora, midfielders Kyle Oliveira, Hector Contreras, and Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault, forwards Shane Lammie, Cristian Nunez, Rudolph Mayard, and Massimo Di Iaio along with goalkeepers David Monsalve and Asmir Begovic have all played numerous times for Canada.

Begovic was Canada’s backup in the 2005 World Youth Championships in the Netherlands earlier this year but due to club commitments with La Louviere, will only be available for the matches against Liverpool and Manchester United.

Conversely, three members of the team will be making their debuts for Canada. Midfielders Simeon Jackson and Gavin McCallum along with defender Anthony DiBiase will be out to impress Mitchell and look to establish themselves as regulars.

McCallum is a name that may be familiar to many within the Canadian Soccer community. Gavin’s uncle, Trevor McCallum, played 18 times for Canada from 1983-1988.

Mitchell was also sufficiently impressed by the play of defender Kennedy Owusu-Ansah and midfielder Gabe Gala during the two-game series against New Zealand last month in Kelowna, BC to include the two in his team.

There are also several key absenses of note. Like Begovic, several of Canada’s more experienced players will remain with their clubs.

The most notable absenses are David Edgar, who will remain at Newcastle United; Jaime Peters will stay with Ipswich FC and Chicago Fire striker Will Johnson will likely remain with the MLS club during the run-up to the 2005 MLS playoffs.

Mitchell has also extended an invitation to Montreal Impact defender Andrew Hainault. Hainault, born in 1986, is one year too old for this squad but Mitchell saw the opportunity to include the no-nonsense defender in the training squad in hopes of bolstering the chances of landing a job in the UK.

Match Information

October 19 @ 13:00 GMT vs. Huddersfield Town AFC U18s

HTAFC Training Ground

October 25 @ 11:30 GMT vs. Liverpool FC U18s

Liverpool Academy Training Ground

October 27 @ 11:15 GMT vs. Manchester United U18s

Cliff Training Ground – Salford

October 29 @11:00 GMT vs. Everton FC U18s

Everton Academy Training Ground

Roster

# Pos. Player DOB Club Hometown Prov

1 GK BEGOVIC, Asmir La Louviere (Belgium) 20-Jun-87 Edmonton AB

1 GK KALTHOFF, Zach Southhampton FC (England) 20-Nov-88 Calgary AB

2 D ATTAKORA-GYAN, Nana NTC - Ontario 27-Mar-89 Orangeville ON

3 D LUMLEY, Stephen NTC - Ontario 16-Apr-87 Mississauga ON

4 D HAINAULT, Andre Montreal Impact 17-Jun-86 Hudson QC

5 M OLIVEIRA, Kyle NTC - Ontario 4-Mar-88 Oakville ON

6 M CONTRERAS, Hector NTC - Quebec 24-Jun-87 Montreal QC

7 M BOURGAULT, Jonathan NTC - Quebec 27-Sep-88 Ile Bizard QC

8 M JACKSON, Simeon Rushden & Diamonds (England) 28-Mar-87 Mississauga ON

9 F NUNEZ, Cristian NTC - Quebec 7-Jul-88 Montreal QC

10 F LAMMIE, Selvin (Shane) NTC - Ontario 3-Aug-88 Toronto ON

11 F DI IOIA, Massimo NTC - Quebec 18-Jun-87 Montreal QC

12 F MAYARD, Rudolph (Pierre) NTC - Quebec 21-Feb-88 Montreal QC

13 M GALA, Gabriel NTC - Ontario 29-Jun-89 Brampton ON

14 M McCALLUM, Gavin Yeovil Town FC (England) 24-Aug-87 Mississauga ON

15 D DIBIASE, Anthony NTC - Ontario 26-Apr-88 Richmond Hill ON

16 M PETRASSO, Vince NTC - Ontario 11-Apr-87 Woodbridge ON

17 D OWUSU-ANSAH, Kennedy NTC - Ontario 20-Jul-89 Toronto ON

22 GK MONSLAVE, David NTC - Ontario 2-Feb-88 Brampton ON

* NTC - National Training Centre

Staff

MITCHELL, Dale - Head Coach

DASOVIC, Nick - Assistant Coach

MULDOON, Kevin - Equipment Manager/GK Coach

NUTT, Dave - National Teams Administrator

CANNON, Eddie - Physiotherapist

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I didn't see any Alberta based player either nor any other province except for Ont and Que.

There are two that I can see from Alberta, the two keepers.

Mitchell is from B.C., so I am pretty sure that he doesn't have an eastern Canadian bias. ;)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

There are two that I can see from Alberta, the two keepers.

Mitchell is from B.C., so I am pretty sure that he doesn't have an eastern Canadian bias. ;)

I did spot the two players from AB afterwards. That was why I ammended my post to read "AB based" rather than "from alberta". The two keepers in question are actually based with clubs in the UK. unlike the others on the squad who are mostly at training centres.

I would like to assume that if the CSA together with Mitchell and Bate are spending money on this tour that all the players they are taking have been properly scouted and have potential for the National team. Otherwise it is kind of expensive to take some unknown faces along.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

I would like to assume that if the CSA together with Mitchell and Bate are spending money on this tour that all the players they are taking have been properly scouted and have potential for the National team.

When I spoke to Mitchell at the Canada Games, he said that there was basically no one there amongst the 240 players that they weren't aware of. I know Sean Flemming has spent time in the Yukon for example. I got the sense even two years before the tournament he had a pretty good idea of what his team was, or at least the core group of 30-40. When you look at the amount of guys who have gotten U20 developmental call-ups they've already brought in a huge pool of guys. Since most of the Euros and the NCAA players have been left out of this camp, I wouldn't stress the lack of western rep yet, but I do think it's fair to say that Ontario and Quebec will dominate the final roster and having seen a lot of these players, I wouldn't say it's unfair.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Andrea Lombardo is a notable absentee from the list of notable absentees - I guess just an oversight as I am sure he'd have the same club conflicts that the other Euro-players listed have.

I think we now know why Lombardo isn't with the squad. Training and getting some first team minutes in Serie B.

Archived