MLS ancmnt re: Toronto expansion Oct 11+, Stadium

jeffymac1971

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm still listening to City Council meeting. They've FINALLY finished the so-called "quick items" and are now back to generally sniping at each other. I have no idea when they will actually get to consideration of committee reports... also, since the online copy of the agenda doesn't indicate where Policy and Finance Cmtee report will be considered, it's hard to speculate whether we will get a decision today.

The possibility that this only gets decided tomorrow increases the need for us to complain to the Star and the Fan about Perkins and McClown, since if they are reprimanded for poor fact-checking, it may cause them to think twice before bashing soccer again tonight and tomorrow, when the stadium may still be up in the air.

Well, I'm still listening to City Council meeting. They've FINALLY finished the so-called "quick items" and are now back to generally sniping at each other. I have no idea when they will actually get to consideration of committee reports... also, since the online copy of the agenda doesn't indicate where Policy and Finance Cmtee report will be considered, it's hard to speculate whether we will get a decision today.

The possibility that this only gets decided tomorrow increases the need for us to complain to the Star and the Fan about Perkins and McClown, since if they are reprimanded for poor fact-checking, it may cause them to think twice before bashing soccer again tonight and tomorrow, when the stadium may still be up in the air.

OK, now they seem to be moving ahead on the agenda. They jump around a lot, but at the moment they seem to be discussing clauses deferred from previous meetings, so perhaps it won't be too long till they get to new cmtee reports.

EDIT: A Councilwoman who I won't name just praised water as being a non-fattening beverage; How inspiring to see such insight in our elected leaders!

OK, now they seem to be moving ahead on the agenda. They jump around a lot, but at the moment they seem to be discussing clauses deferred from previous meetings, so perhaps it won't be too long till they get to new cmtee reports.

EDIT: A Councilwoman who I won't name just praised water as being a non-fattening beverage; How inspiring to see such insight in our elected leaders!

Kasperski has joined this forum today as a member, incidentally.....

The contents of Appendix D are basically set out in the report from which you quote. Perhaps McCown is referring to the fact that the Leafs will get 50% of the revenues from the stadium? It any event I don't think its a point getting worked up about - there is plenty of more to zing him on.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Kasperski has joined this forum today as a member, incidentally.....

The contents of Appendix D are basically set out in the report from which you quote. Perhaps McCown is referring to the fact that the Leafs will get 50% of the revenues from the stadium? It any event I don't think its a point getting worked up about - there is plenty of more to zing him on.

I agree that there is lots more to zing him on... however I think that a gross factual error is something tangible that we can use to embarrass him.

Dave, he called you a 'dope'. I'm 100% certain of this. There is a podcast of his show available on the Fan website, I don't know if the call in hour is included.

I missed the last segment of the call in hour, because we have an employee that's basically gone AWOL and the ****'s really starting to hit the fan at work.

The MLSE CFO , Ian Clark, is on right now.

Heh, Massive, are *you* that AWOL employee over the last little while? :)

Dave, your efforts on this issue are great, and your actions have led to some of us contacting our councillors, etc. However, I'm not sure that Bob McCown is worth all this effort and aggravation.

man... McCown was fired up for that discussion!

you know... my cake is MLS in MY city! thats good enough for me! Of course MLSE wants to make money, but there are taking a risk. We shouldent jump all over MLSE when CSA, city of Toronto and so on have asked them to fund the program.

McCown was fired up in the discussion because the MLSE guy basically put him in his place. McCown had no more arguments that he could make so he started to get a bit heated when he got-argued and the MLSE guy set him straight on all of the issues that we've been talking about over the past few days, especially the fact that MLSE is indeed on the hook for getting construction done on time. I don't know how McCown can on one breath mention the huge construction costs on Olympic Stadium that cost taxpayers & could happen again and then in the next state that the MLSE could make a huge profit from the stadium. Which one is it Bob?

Earlier I heard a few minutes of the call-in show. 5 people called in to talk about soccer. One guy looked forward to MLS in Toronto but was against taxpayers putting into a stadium for it & said the team should play in the Rogers Centre and even McCown said that the Rogers Centre wouldn't work with the lack of available dates. All of the others were favour of the stadium deal and the team. None of them had an accent.

So much for the regular sports fan being disinterested in MLS & or against the stadium, if that segment is anything to go by.

McCown was fired up in the discussion because the MLSE guy basically put him in his place. McCown had no more arguments that he could make so he started to get a bit heated when he got-argued and the MLSE guy set him straight on all of the issues that we've been talking about over the past few days, especially the fact that MLSE is indeed on the hook for getting construction done on time. I don't know how McCown can on one breath mention the huge construction costs on Olympic Stadium that cost taxpayers & could happen again and then in the next state that the MLSE could make a huge profit from the stadium. Which one is it Bob?

He really has no clue what he is taking about. I think he is just putting on a show. There were so many comments he made, then he would contradict himself the next sentence. Like he said something about there is no record of success (for pro soccer in NA), then he said how huge the NASL was 25 years ago and that MLS is no where near that. Well which is it?

None of them had an accent.

Those were fake hoser accents. Sorry.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

He really has no clue what he is taking about. I think he is just putting on a show. There were so many comments he made, then he would contradict himself the next sentence. Like he said something about there is no record of success (for pro soccer in NA), then he said how huge the NASL was 25 years ago and that MLS is no where near that. Well which is it?

Yes, I had also thought of that as well. The contradictions are a result of his bias & agenda against something, it results in him using contradictory arguments at different times to different people. Instead of altering his views to fit the facts, because of his bias and his agenda he alters the facts to fit his views.

guys, i might be wrong on this but for some reason i recall bob Mcclown said he was a part of the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers organization one time ago (referring to a seperate show years back) Anyone know this for a fact or can confirm.

Mcclown is doing this for ratings, to stir interest in his radio program and what better way to do this, by bashing soccer and their fans. he is a clown and that is all he has to offer, besides his years dealing with spreads in the vegas lines. you know, the legal stuff that built the NFL.

quote:Originally posted by Franky

guys, i might be wrong on this but for some reason i recall bob Mcclown said he was a part of the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers organization one time ago (referring to a seperate show years back) Anyone know this for a fact or can confirm.

Mcclown is doing this for ratings, to stir interest in his radio program and what better way to do this, by bashing soccer and their fans. he is a clown and that is all he has to offer, besides his years dealing with spreads in the vegas lines. you know, the legal stuff that built the NFL.

Mean like the legal gambling in the UK that built the EPL? Makes about as much sense.

I was the UK when the London Monarchs came to town and the press ran stupid on American football as well...

You're a twit if you allow McCowan to get under your skin. NO ONE listens to AM radio except Conservative morons and bored jocks...

both don't matter.

Lowell no rating's Green.

I was asked by the producer to do my thing on the macclown show. I will let you know when if I want to.I just checked my 649 tickets and I won,so I am going to buy this station,fire the bitch,so I don't have to see him and defend soccer instead of promoting it. so stand by for the firing,live on radio of mcclown.

Archived