Oil Industry to be Nationalized ?

Winnipeg Fury

Sounds good to me:

Poll: almost half of Canadians want oil industry nationalized

CBC News

The Canadian Press said Monday a Leger poll suggested 49 per cent of respondents want petroleum resources nationalized while 43 per cent said they would like to see the same fate for gas companies.

Quebec City Aug. 31, 2005. (CP PHOTO/ Clement Allard)

The Leger Marketing telephone survey of 1,500 people was conducted between Aug. 24 and Aug. 31, much of it before the major effects of Hurricane Katrina were felt.

Canadian gasoline prices jumped about 25 cents a litre since the storm hit the U.S. Gulf Coast a week ago Monday.

Quebecers were the strongest supporters of resource nationalization at 67 per cent, followed by residents of the Atlantic provinces at 53 per cent, Ontarians at 45 per cent and British Columbians at 42 per cent.

Forty per cent of respondents on the Prairies and 36 per cent of Albertans were in favour.

Among those opposed to resource nationalization, Albertans led the way at 49 per cent followed by British Columbians at 39 per cent.

Quebec led in support for nationalization of oil companies, with 61 per cent in favour, followed by the Atlantic provinces at 46 per cent.

Alberta was the most opposed to oil company nationalization at 59 per cent, followed by the prairies at 49 per cent, B.C. at 46 per cent and Ontario at 41 per cent.

Most of the respondents -- 79 per cent -- suggested they would like to see taxes on gasoline cut. Federal and provincial governments have made it clear that is unlikely to happen.

Seventy-six per cent of respondents indicated they wanted the government to intervene after gas prices increased before Katrina hit the coast.

Fifty-four per cent suggested they would like the government to fix the pump price.

Twenty-six per cent of respondents blamed the gas companies for pre-Katrina price jumps and 18 per cent blamed oil-producing countries.

Interestingly, 63 per cent of respondents said pre-Katrina gas price hikes had not affected their fuel consumption, while 25 per cent said they were using less gas.

Results of the poll are considered accurate within plus or minus 2.6 percentage points 19 times out of 20.

On Labour Day, gas prices in Montreal and Halifax averaged $1.38 a litre and the regulated price in St. John's, N.L., was $1.48.

In Toronto, prices ranged from $1.22 to about $1.35 a litre.

Western drivers paid between $1.08 and $1.13 in Edmonton, and between $1.07 and $1.14 in Calgary.

NAFTA dosen't allow the sale of oil to the domestic market at prices below what domesticaly produced oil can be sold for on the international market.

Screw nationalization. Impose an export duty and bring in legislation tying domestic sale prices to international sales prices. Since the export duty (which would be paid by foreighners anyway) would reduce the value a barrel of Canadian oil would fetch on the international market you'd instantly see a drop in the price of domestic oil equal to the price of the export duty.

At $60 a barrel, a $10 export duty means the Canadian oil could only be sold for $50 a barrel by Canadian oil companies otherwise they'd end up overpriced. If Canadian oil is sold internationaly at $50 a barrel (a full $10 below international market prices) than by law, it would then have to made available to the Canadian domestic market at $50 a barrel. Again, a full $10 a barrel below international market prices. Oh, what the Hell. Lets make the law international prices +$1.

The fed's would milk money right out of the oil companys pockets. The domestic price of oil would go down equaly proportional to the level of the export duty (or very nearly), and it would all comply with NAFTA and be within the Crowns constitutional authority. Too fu'king bad Klein. Nothing even to discuss.

And if the Yanks don't like it, they can kick us out of NAFTA.

Just another knee-jerk reaction by media regarding oil prices.

Nationalizing oil companies are very expensive endeavours, and cost

the government (and taxpayers) especially during periods of when

gasoline prices return to normal levels (about 15% less). And

since oil prices are set globally, it's highly unlikely that gas

prices can be manipulated to satisfy the average Joe consumer,

who probably drives an SUV or mini-van to the grocery store ...

quote:Originally posted by jeffymac1971

Can you say Alberta Seperation? If there is another NEP, all hell will brake lose!

Perhaps. But the amazing thing about that survey is that as many as 36% of respondants in AB support nationalization. Thats pretty shocking.

But I have to wonder, when a pollster calls to ask the question, how many people would really understand what nationaliation means.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Perhaps. But the amazing thing about that survey is that as many as 36% of respondants in AB support nationalization. Thats pretty shocking.

But I have to wonder, when a pollster calls to ask the question, how many people would really understand what nationaliation means.

Those would be the ones in Edmonton promised new SUV's and free gas for 5 years by Paul "I'll buy your vote; name your price" Martin.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

That would be more close to the percentage of Albertans who voted for the Liberals and the NDP in the 2004 Election (31.5%).

Yet the numbers from Atlantic Canada, who would be depending on oil and natural gas to get them out of have-not status, should be a worry.

We also have to remember that the feds just got out of the oil business, recently signing off the remainder of Petro-Canada.

quote:Yet the numbers from Atlantic Canada, who would be depending on oil and natural gas to get them out of have-not status, should be a worry.

Exactly. If I'm Hamm or Williams I'm much more troubled by the numbers than if I'm Klein.

Overall IMHO, the numbers are a reflection of the entitlement that Canadians (and Americans for that matter) feel they have for low gasoline prices.

For me, it's like anything else; you adjust. Our family is making a conscious decision to consume less energy and fuel. Maybe this was the push we needed.

We also have to remember that the feds just got out of the oil business, recently signing off the remainder of Petro-Canada.

quote:Yet the numbers from Atlantic Canada, who would be depending on oil and natural gas to get them out of have-not status, should be a worry.

Exactly. If I'm Hamm or Williams I'm much more troubled by the numbers than if I'm Klein.

Overall IMHO, the numbers are a reflection of the entitlement that Canadians (and Americans for that matter) feel they have for low gasoline prices.

For me, it's like anything else; you adjust. Our family is making a conscious decision to consume less energy and fuel. Maybe this was the push we needed.

Archived