Squad for Spain (so far)

El Hombre

Note: this thread is for news about players being called for Canada's friendly at Spain on September 3, 2005, not for discussing your preferred lineup for that match (use this thread for that)

A little early I know, but since it was posted on the Ipswich website:

Peters has been called up for the game for Spain. Not much of a surprise.

http://www.itfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10272~698458,00.html

Anyone hear of anyone else getting the call? I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of a squad FY calls this time around.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by drfan23

Josh Simpson and Adrian Serioux (Millwall) and Ali Gerba (Sundvall) have been called.

Considering Friend and Occean in Scandinavia and Hume and Radz in England should be ahead of him, it seems odd Ali's been called in for this match.

Must admit I am also perplexed about Jazic, as I don't think Yallop has a clue how he is physically really or how he's been playing lately.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Considering Friend and Occean in Scandinavia and Hume and Radz in England should be ahead of him, it seems odd Ali's been called in for this match.

Friend wouldn't jump ahead of him just because he has decent numbers. And, as mentioned ad nauseam, these are also camps to get the players to know each other. Ali will be around longer than Radz.

Radz will not be there in 2010 so I could care less if he is there for friendlies now,, I'd rather have our young players who have a shot of making that team playing together right now.. and Gerba is one of them,, not our top choice for striker but he is in the mix... Friend is still kind of a wildcard ,, would like to see him involved in the near future at some point but highly doubt it will be against Spain...

Radz will not be there in 2010 so I could care less if he is there for friendlies now,, I'd rather have our young players who have a shot of making that team playing together right now.. and Gerba is one of them,, not our top choice for striker but he is in the mix... Friend is still kind of a wildcard ,, would like to see him involved in the near future at some point but highly doubt it will be against Spain...

The year that matter is 2008 not 2010 and Radz who's born in december 1973 will be 34 when the qualification starts and 35 if we get to the Hex. Maybe he won't be a starter but he could be a super-sub, so it's worth a try to involve him as much as possible and hoping he'll be there. I'm pretty sure Radz don't know himself if he'll be fit enough in 3 years.

The year that matter is 2008 not 2010 and Radz who's born in december 1973 will be 34 when the qualification starts and 35 if we get to the Hex. Maybe he won't be a starter but he could be a super-sub, so it's worth a try to involve him as much as possible and hoping he'll be there. I'm pretty sure Radz don't know himself if he'll be fit enough in 3 years.

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

Regarding Jazic, Frank Yallop may have taken advantage of a quaint little piece of 19th century technology called "the phone" to ask Jazic about his fitness.

You can't say stuff like that on this board...........one of the rule is to assume that FY is a complete retard who can't manage a team, don't know how to use a phone to inquire about players health and progression, don't have any contacts to inquire about how certain players are doing, don't know how to use a video machine to wath some tapes.............

If Klukowski, Jazic & Simpson are all called they can't all play left back. Hopefully that means Mike will play a more central defensive role & one of Josh or Ante will play left mid (though it suggests then that Brennan wouldn't be called - if the Jazic thing is true of course).

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I don't think it is a stretch to suggest that a 34 or 35 year old Radz could be a better option than Gerba or Friend in 2008.It's up to Yallop(or another coach)to determine whether or not his heart would still be in it by then.

Guest Jeffery S.

I'm all for Radz. A striker who sees top flight defenders every week. The others may get lucky, could even find a header in a ruckus, but little more. Not even Hume is really ready for Spain don't think.

AS for Yallop and Jazic, I totally agree that the telephone is a very nice way to talk to players in Russia who have been injured for even months and are playing in the second division where it is impossible to find out the level, quality of play, how the guy is doing. So you call him up and ask him hey, how's it? He says awesome, you take him to play against Vicente and Raul up Canada's right side.

Awesome (the telephone solution I mean).

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I'm all for Radz. A striker who sees top flight defenders every week. The others may get lucky, could even find a header in a ruckus, but little more. Not even Hume is really ready for Spain don't think.

AS for Yallop and Jazic, I totally agree that the telephone is a very nice way to talk to players in Russia who have been injured for even months and are playing in the second division where it is impossible to find out the level, quality of play, how the guy is doing. So you call him up and ask him hey, how's it? He says awesome, you take him to play against Vicente and Raul up Canada's right side.

Awesome (the telephone solution I mean).

Yess, I agree the CSA should have sent a teams of doctors to Russia to inquire about Jazic health and why not send a team from the police and have Jazic passing a lies detector because he might be lying......

Honestly, what do you expect from Yallop in this situation? Hans Blitz to be sent in Russia???

hmmmm? Maybe I could do what I do in Brazil by phone and video? Probably not.

As for Jazic and going to Russia to see him play, it may be a special case as would going to China to see Menezes play. Still, I don't think you would give either a start without knowing more about their current abilities.

The point is when a club like Chelsea hires someone like Frank Arneson to scout, they expect him to travel where ever he needs to travel to see talent. Relying primarily on video and the telephone to commit Abramovich's money at best would get him fired (and we won't get into the worst case).

Canada's MNT coach needs to work that much harder to find and assess talent than the coaches of top soccer countries if we want Canada to move up in the rankings. Presently, I think we do less. Carlos Alberto Parreira, no doubt, is watching all of his top talent even when an error in judgement would only lead to him playing Adriano rather than Ronaldo. Canada doesn't have that luxury and needs to be sure it has the right players on the field all the time.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Yess, I agree the CSA should have sent a teams of doctors to Russia to inquire about Jazic health and why not send a team from the police and have Jazic passing a lies detector because he might be lying......

Honestly, what do you expect from Yallop in this situation? Hans Blitz to be sent in Russia???

1 Stamatopoulos, Kenny GK 8/28/79 1 0 FC Boden, Sweden Markham, ON

22 Wagenaar, Joshua GK 2/26/85 0 0 Hartwick College, NCAA Grimsby, ON

2 Braz, Adam D 6/07/81 5 0 Montreal Impact, USL St. Laurent, QC

3 Klukowski, Mike D/M 5/27/81 5 0 FC Brugge, Belgium Oshawa, ON

4 McKenna, Kevin D 1/21/80 30 9 Energie Cottbus, Germany Calgary, AB

5 Reda, Marco D 6/22/77 2 0 Aalborg, Denmark Toronto, ON

6 de Guzman, Julian M 3/25/81 14 0 Deportivo La Coruna, Spain Scarborough, ON

7 Bernier, Patrice M 9/23/79 12 0 Tromso, Norway Montreal, QC

8 Serioux, Adrian M 5/12/79 6 0 Millwall, League Championship Scarborough, ON

9 Radzinski, Tomasz F 12/14/73 27 7 Fulham, English Premier Toronto, ON

10 Gerba, Ali F 7/27/82 4 1 Sundsvall, Sweden Montréal, QC

11 Jazic, Ante D 2/26/76 12 0 FC Kuban, Russia Halifax, NS

12 Grande, Sandro M 9/29/77 8 0 Viking Stavanger, Norway Montreal, QC

13 Hutchinson, Atiba D/M 2/08/83 16 2 Helsingborg, Sweden Brampton, ON

14 de Rosario, Dwayne M/F 5/15/78 33 7 San Jose Earthquakes, MLS Scarborough, ON

15 Simpson, Josh D/M 5/15/83 11 0 Millwall, League Championship Victoria, BC

16 Placentino, Rocco M 2/25/82 0 0 Arezzo, Serie B (Italy) Montreal, QC

17 Peters, Jaime M 5/04/87 11 0 Ipswich Town, League Champ. Pickering, ON

Archived