Canada patch for FIFA'05 - NOW RELEASED!

strobe_z

Absolutely fantastic, strobe. If you're not making a living doing this kind of stuff, you're in the wrong game!

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I have a few suggestions:

2. You gotta have a team from Red Deer Town (I guess if you make a second tier).

Hahah! What a blast from the past that was. Where's that old CUSL nutball, ol' what's-his-name.... :D

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

strobe_z,

Replace Blizzard with ''Ontario Northlands''

Add Brunswicker FC(New Brunswick)(I'm big on New Brunswick because they should have a team if PEI and Newfoundland have one) and Fraser Valley or Okanagan(BC Interior)?(It should be noted that both Fraser Valley and Okanagon have teams in the USL Y-League).

Just a thought.

PS out of curiosity, where do the provincial leagues fit in your ''plan'', as a Division 3 or a feeder system?

Are the clubs in CSL Premier and CSL Championship ''representative teams'' for a defined geographical area? (ex: Montreal Impact repesenting Southwestern Quebec). Or can these clubs be relegated(from the Premiership and Championship) to Division 3 and replaced by other clubs from the area (ex : Montreal)?

Guest HamiltonSteelers

Ottawa

Gatineau

2nd Montreal team/Kitchener/New Brunswick

I also liked the Red Deer Town reference.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking that the overall 20 teams will be:

01.Victoria United (BC)

02.Vancouver Whitecaps (BC)

03.Edmonton Drillers (AB)

04.Calgary Mustangs (AB)

05.Regina Rovers (SK)

06.Saskatoon Athletica (SK)

07.Winnipeg Fury SC (MB)

08.Toronto Lynx (ON)

09.Toronto Blizzard (ON)

10.London City FC (ON)

11.Hamilton Steelers (ON)

12.Ottawa (ON)

13.Montreal Impact (QC)

14.Dynamo Quebec (QC)

15.Sherbrooke (QC)

16.Halifax Mariners (NS)

17.St. John's Clippers (NL)

18.Royal PEI (PE)

19.Fredricton (NB)

20.Chivas Canada?????

Comments:

- I'm sold on a New Brunswick team, but I like the idea of using Fredricton.

- As you can see, I've tried to break it up by Province (with Ontario having the lion's share as well as the 'unclaimed' spot from Manitoba).

- I still like having two teams in Toronto, and one of them being the Blizzard for "old times sake".

- Ottawa is in, no question, but I need a good name for it.

- I like giving Quebec another team, and Sherbrooke beats Laval in terms of population, so they're elected.

- There's still a final spot open. I know there's some suggestions I haven't used yet, but I'm not a fan of "zonal" teams. I much prefer a city than something like "Ontario Northlands" or "Fraser Valley".

- Keep in mind this is a fantasy patch, so I'm more interested in the "wouldn't it be cool if.." than what reality might dictate. So far I'm thinking maybe a nod to the Territories... Whitheorse? lol... and Red Deer sounds intriguing (home province perogative~! that.. and the fact that the logo practically draws itself!)

- As for how the leagues break up.. well it'll be pretty random. Basically Edmonton and the 3 USL teams are guaranteed to start in the Premier league... everything else is negotiable/random placement after that.

- As far as the FIFA patch itself goes, there will only be 2 leagues (Division 3?!), but they will feature promotion relegation in 'career mode'. So after a couple of seasons, who knows what they'll look like.

- I'm also trying to work with the guy doing the USL patches to see if we can overlap the 3 USL teams...letting them play in both leagues. That may or may not be possible, but I think that I will be able to get it to work with some other CONCACAF patches, so conceivably you could take Royal PEI from Div.2 to Div.1 and then qualify and play the CONCACAF Champions Cup.

- I'm also going to try to incorporate a "true" Voyageurs Cup feature. Open cup...all 20 teams - only one champion~! ;)

Wow, your ideas sound great. I like the idea of the Career Mode and being able to take a team to the CONCACAF Champions Cup. Also the Voyageurs Cup feature sounds solid.

Hmm, a name for Ottawa... Ottawa Capitals? Ottawa United? AFC Ottawa? Ottawa Nationals? Just a few suggestions.

As I said before, I can't wait for this patch to be released. So for the people that are waiting to download... I ask you this question... which team will you play with in Career Mode?

My answer: I may chose a lower league team, such as Hamilton Steelers (I go to McMaster University in Hamilton, so I might as well) and try to bring them to the Premier League. Because I play the game so much and have become so good at it [brag much eh :)] that I always like a challenge of bringing a team up and keeping them in the top league. Example, I started with Lincoln City in League Two in England and got them to the Coca-Cola League Championship in three seasons, but was relegated in my fourth! Then by 2009, I went to Crystal Palace who were back in the League Championship and brought them to the Premiership right away and stayed there till 2012 and won a few trophies, even got a Champions League spot twice, placing 2nd and 3rd.

Wow, your ideas sound great. I like the idea of the Career Mode and being able to take a team to the CONCACAF Champions Cup. Also the Voyageurs Cup feature sounds solid.

Hmm, a name for Ottawa... Ottawa Capitals? Ottawa United? AFC Ottawa? Ottawa Nationals? Just a few suggestions.

As I said before, I can't wait for this patch to be released. So for the people that are waiting to download... I ask you this question... which team will you play with in Career Mode?

My answer: I may chose a lower league team, such as Hamilton Steelers (I go to McMaster University in Hamilton, so I might as well) and try to bring them to the Premier League. Because I play the game so much and have become so good at it [brag much eh :)] that I always like a challenge of bringing a team up and keeping them in the top league. Example, I started with Lincoln City in League Two in England and got them to the Coca-Cola League Championship in three seasons, but was relegated in my fourth! Then by 2009, I went to Crystal Palace who were back in the League Championship and brought them to the Premiership right away and stayed there till 2012 and won a few trophies, even got a Champions League spot twice, placing 2nd and 3rd.

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

The main thing is that I HATE doing rosters. The Creation Centre makes random players/stats and I was just going to go with those. I'd be happy to have someone who's intersted in working with the player stats to do the rosters (or who'd like to do accurate Vancouver/Montreal/Toronto ones). Rosters for 6 more teams is the largest reason I'm still "toying" with the idea.

Generally, I've been impressed with Football Manager's player pool and rating system. It would be quite easy to use FM Scout to borrow their initial ratings, assuming we could find an appropriate conversion scale.

The only way I think it would be fun for solo play is if there is some way to use the patch to induce AI to do some transfers? I don't think I've ever seen a transfer in career mode that I didn't initiate. Online league aside, static rosters in career mode aren't too much fun so they might as well be sims.

Then again, if the online league goes, we need a full 360 players pool + imports. And I dare say possibly even a draft (not suggesting that be included in the patch). Does anything I just said make sense or do I have to give up with John TV?

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking that the overall 20 teams will be:

01.Victoria United (BC)

04.Calgary Mustangs (AB)

05.Regina Rovers (SK)

07.Winnipeg Fury SC (MB)

08.Toronto Lynx (ON)

09.Toronto Blizzard (ON)

10.London City FC (ON)

12.Ottawa (ON)

13.Montreal Impact (QC)

14.Dynamo Quebec (QC)

15.Sherbrooke (QC)

16.Halifax Mariners (NS)

17.St. John's Clippers (NL)

18.Royal PEI (PE)

19.Fredricton (NB)

20.Chivas Canada?????

Comments:

- I'm sold on a New Brunswick team, but I like the idea of using Fredricton.

- As you can see, I've tried to break it up by Province (with Ontario having the lion's share as well as the 'unclaimed' spot from Manitoba).

- I still like having two teams in Toronto, and one of them being the Blizzard for "old times sake".

- Ottawa is in, no question, but I need a good name for it.

- I like giving Quebec another team, and Sherbrooke beats Laval in terms of population, so they're elected.

- There's still a final spot open. I know there's some suggestions I haven't used yet, but I'm not a fan of "zonal" teams. I much prefer a city than something like "Ontario Northlands" or "Fraser Valley".

- Keep in mind this is a fantasy patch, so I'm more interested in the "wouldn't it be cool if.." than what reality might dictate. So far I'm thinking maybe a nod to the Territories... Whitheorse? lol... and Red Deer sounds intriguing (home province perogative~! that.. and the fact that the logo practically draws itself!)

- As for how the leagues break up.. well it'll be pretty random. Basically Edmonton and the 3 USL teams are guaranteed to start in the Premier league... everything else is negotiable/random placement after that.

- As far as the FIFA patch itself goes, there will only be 2 leagues (Division 3?!), but they will feature promotion relegation in 'career mode'. So after a couple of seasons, who knows what they'll look like.

- I'm also trying to work with the guy doing the USL patches to see if we can overlap the 3 USL teams...letting them play in both leagues. That may or may not be possible, but I think that I will be able to get it to work with some other CONCACAF patches, so conceivably you could take Royal PEI from Div.2 to Div.1 and then qualify and play the CONCACAF Champions Cup.

- I'm also going to try to incorporate a "true" Voyageurs Cup feature. Open cup...all 20 teams - only one champion~! ;)

strobe_z :

A few other ideas came to mind :

Re : working with the other guy on USL trying to see if the 3USL teams can play in the CSL. What about if you had 2 divisions for North America :

Division 1 : a ''Can-Am Cup'' with a single table of 12 teams

Division 2 : 12 regional conferences that would cover North America(Canada and the United States) One example of a regional conference would be Cascadia covering BC, Oregon, Washington State and Idaho. This region would have 16 to 24 teams, 8 or 12 teams in two divisions with promotion/relegation within the geographical conference. This way teams like Red Deer Town, Sherbrooke Saints could go up or down but not have to go bankrupt covering thier travel costs.

And the Voyageurs Cup would become a Canada Open Cup. For that to work you may want to have regional playdowns.

Just a thought.

I'm not sure I follow you youllneverwalkalone. As I said, rosters aren't my "thing" so I might not quite be clear on what you're talking about. Basically my plan is to generate random rosters for the teams using the FIFA Creation Centre utility - and then renaming "player 9" to "tom smith" or whatever. I've barely got enough patience to do that let alone try to actually include players to be drafted etc...

As for Impact supporter's suggestions, while interesting, I think we're getting beyond the scope of a patch for FIFA 2005 here. 12 regional conferences with 16 or so teams each? There's no way I could be able to create that for FIFA. The format of the patch itself will be two leagues, CSL1 and CSL2 with promotion between them. There will also be the V-Cup... all 20 teams in a knockout stage competition.

As for the USL patch, I don't think the guy would look too kindly on me trying to hijack his patch. He's working on a MLS-ULS1-USL2 promotion patch as well.. with the real USL teams - only the promotion/relegation is fantasy patchwork. We're just trying to coordinate efforts so that Impact fans (for example) could choose to play the fantasy CSL patch.. OR the 'real' USL patch, without having to make a choice between installing one or the other.

also... you'll note that there's now a Fredricton FC logo added to the list.

If we want to get a tourney going, we need real players, no?

Won't Joe Q FC Blizzard rather have Tomasz Radzinski than Charly Chops?

FM Scout allows you to search all the Canadians in the Football Manager database. Ratings range from 0-180, but the relevant range for Canucks is 90-150. In FIFA, this would be 50-75. I'll double-check the sub-ratings, but I think the FM ratings could just be divided by 2.

Anyway, is the hang-up with doing the ratings the entry? Or actually coming up with the numbers? If it's just the numbers, I could send a spreadsheet of 500 odd Canadians with the FM Scout ratings.

Ottawa Young Nats... or just Ottawa Nationals FC, for the 20th team, what about Burnaby, Windsor or a second team in Montreal, Oylympique Montreal!

anyways, really cool ideas, i love it! the Jerseys and logos are incred!

ciao

Ok.. in response to some of the questions/commens:

- Ottawa Nationals it is - best name I've heard, and should lend itself well to a logo.

- I like the idea of the return of the Montreal Olympique - and I think I can make a good logo for them too. So they're #20

- The kits I've included in the screen shots are done by one of the 'regular' kitmakers at the SoccerGaming forums (www.soccergaming.tv) - I told him to make fantasy kits, so he is. Real kits for Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto will be available as part of the USL patch and/or a seperate download. This way the fans can choose which to use.

- The reason I'm doing a CSL patch for FIFA 2005 is because, despite the fact that 2006 will be out in October, there's always a lag time before the patching tools catch up to the latest release. That means no quality patches will be available until around Dec. or so. Besides, most of the graphics will be re-usable in the 2006 version.

01.Victoria United (BC)

04.Calgary Mustangs (AB)

05.Regina Rovers (SK)

07.Winnipeg Fury SC (MB)

08.Toronto Lynx (ON)

09.Toronto Blizzard (ON)

10.London City FC (ON)

12.Ottawa Nationals (ON)

13.Montreal Impact (QC)

14.Dynamo Quebec (QC)

15.Montreal Olympique (QC)

16.Sherbrooke Saints FC (QC)

17.Halifax Mariners (NS)

18.St. John's Clippers (NL)

19.Royal PEI (PE)

20.Fredricton FC (NB)

Ok.. in response to some of the questions/commens:

- Ottawa Nationals it is - best name I've heard, and should lend itself well to a logo.

- I like the idea of the return of the Montreal Olympique - and I think I can make a good logo for them too. So they're #20

- The kits I've included in the screen shots are done by one of the 'regular' kitmakers at the SoccerGaming forums (www.soccergaming.tv) - I told him to make fantasy kits, so he is. Real kits for Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto will be available as part of the USL patch and/or a seperate download. This way the fans can choose which to use.

- The reason I'm doing a CSL patch for FIFA 2005 is because, despite the fact that 2006 will be out in October, there's always a lag time before the patching tools catch up to the latest release. That means no quality patches will be available until around Dec. or so. Besides, most of the graphics will be re-usable in the 2006 version.

01.Victoria United (BC)

04.Calgary Mustangs (AB)

05.Regina Rovers (SK)

07.Winnipeg Fury SC (MB)

08.Toronto Lynx (ON)

09.Toronto Blizzard (ON)

10.London City FC (ON)

12.Ottawa Nationals (ON)