Canadians abroad: July 15-21, 2005

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EDT.

Friday, July 15

8:00 PM on FSWC & RDS — United States/Canada: United Soccer Leagues First Division

Minnesota (CJ Peznecker) vs. Montreal

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for July 15-21, 2005.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Jim Brennan flew directly from Boston to Amsterdam to join Norwich on their pre-season tour of the Netherlands. He is expected to see some action in at least one of their next matches, which are Saturday (16 July) against Maastricht and Tuesday against Venlo.

Guest Jeffery S.

Daniel Fernandes has been given #1 as his shirt for this season at Paok Salonika. A suggestion that they are going for him as one of their regular keepers, along with Tourogoulu (sic), who will wear 33, must be quite a card to want to wear your age on your back.

I get PAOK news off of www.paokfc.gr, this news and photos of training with Daniel seen are linked to from the front page.

Guest Jeffery S.

Daniel Fernandes has been given #1 as his shirt for this season at Paok Salonika. A suggestion that they are going for him as one of their regular keepers, along with Tourogoulu (sic), who will wear 33, must be quite a card to want to wear your age on your back.

I get PAOK news off of www.paokfc.gr, this news and photos of training with Daniel seen are linked to from the front page.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

That's very good news. The Greek League is tentatively scheduled to begin on August 28th, although it may be changed to September 11.

Tyler Hughes did not play as his Öster defeated Degerfors at home 3-1. He suffered an injury in a friendly against Elfsborg earlier his week. No word on how long he will be resting.

Ademolu's Trelleborg managed a goalless draw against leaders AIK away, Stephen playing 90 minutes.

Wow that's a great news, he played an entire half minus 2 minutes, which is great. Congrats to him and let's hope he has a bright pro career.

I'm waiting for Uccello friend to explain that to us, Johnson wasn't suppose to have a future as a pro according to him..........

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by DJT

In the Intertoto Cup, Third Round, First Leg on July 16, Deportivo defeated Slaven Belupo (Croatia) 1-0 at home. De Guzman was dressed for Depor but did not play.

He was not expected to play. The team did quite badly, scoring on a keeper blunder (dumb rebound). This is okay for Julian as those playing were supposedly ahead of him for midfield starting (namely Sergio and Scaloni).

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Wow that's a great news, he played an entire half minus 2 minutes, which is great. Congrats to him and let's hope he has a bright pro career.

I'm waiting for Uccello friend to explain that to us, Johnson wasn't suppose to have a future as a pro according to him..........

I never said that he may or may not have a future all I said he played poorly in Holland. Way to young and still has many things to work out to be a better striker then just running around with his head down and all over the field of play dribbling and losing it. Julian is a far better describe striker then Johnson, and Julian record speaks for himself today! Next year who knows, maybe Johnson will, but as far I am concern playing for minutes is very differnt then playing 100% for a first team.

I will opolgize to you peresonally if it changes Loyola let me know when he succeeds as a starter for a first team 100% of a game for all the teams games.

I actually thought Johnson was one of our best players in the U-20s. He played poorly against Columbia when he was in midfield but against Italy, he held the ball up, ran with it well, and drew numerous fouls. When he had support (which was not often), he moved it around well also. He certianly looked better than Hume in my opinion at that age. I do think his lack of speed and strength may work against him as a professional but he certainly has guile and knows how to play the game which I can say is sorely lacking in our current strikers (with the exception of Uccelo who I have never seen play)

Guest Jeffery S.

Looks like Daniel Fernandes got another scoreless half in -or maybe less, report is unclear- for Paok, in a pre-season friendly in Thessalonika.

Short report from www.paokfc.gr

PAOK defeated Pierikos 1-5 at the National Stadium of Katerini, in the second pre-season friendly game which took place in front of more than 5.000 football fans. The goals scored Salpigidis (14' pen. and 45'), Provatidis (25'), Egomitis (36'), Yiasoumi (73' and 89').

Mr. Karageorgiou chose the following starting line-up:

Tohouroglou, Akyel, Karalic, Mumin, Salpigidis, Hasiotis, Egomitis, Malezas, Koutsopoulos, Maladenis and Vangelis, while in the second half played also Megahed, Mieciel, Shikabala, Fernandes, Kiriakidis, Karipidis and Eleftheriadis.

Swedish premier division Helsingborg defeated Örgryte 1-0 at home, keeping their top 3 position. They didn't look good doing it, but it's results that count. Atiba, just home from Gold Cup, started on the bench but came in after 58 minutes and did good.

Kenny Stamatopoulos' Boden, 1st division, is still having huge problems playing on the road, lost 3-0 to Västra Frölunda, a team they defeated at home just a week ago. There will probably be a lot of talk about this match, Boden denied a rather undisputable penalty late in the second half (at 1-0), while Västra Frölunda recieved one, less obvious, a few minutes later.

Looks like Daniel Fernandes got another scoreless half in -or maybe less, report is unclear- for Paok, in a pre-season friendly in Thessalonika.

Short report from www.paokfc.gr

PAOK defeated Pierikos 1-5 at the National Stadium of Katerini, in the second pre-season friendly game which took place in front of more than 5.000 football fans. The goals scored Salpigidis (14' pen. and 45'), Provatidis (25'), Egomitis (36'), Yiasoumi (73' and 89').

Mr. Karageorgiou chose the following starting line-up:

Tohouroglou, Akyel, Karalic, Mumin, Salpigidis, Hasiotis, Egomitis, Malezas, Koutsopoulos, Maladenis and Vangelis, while in the second half played also Megahed, Mieciel, Shikabala, Fernandes, Kiriakidis, Karipidis and Eleftheriadis.

Fernandes did in fact play the entire 2nd half (and did not allow the goal). Pierikos is a team that was promoted to the Third Division after last season.

For what it's worth, Radz played 90 against the new look Celtic at Craven's Cottage today during what's becoming a high summer tradition between the two sides. Match ended nil-nil.

Apparently the speedy fellow nearly set up a 1st for Fulham.

Must have been a warm day in London as a break was added midway through the halfs to allow for the players to take in some liquids.

Guest Jeffery S.

I missed seeing Jonathan de Guzmán on tv yesterday, perhaps foolishly, as he played in the second half for Feyenoord vs. Espanyol in a tournament in China. I thought he might be playing as it was tape delayed on Catalan tv, and a news report had already shown highlights where I thought I saw him.

Game ended 2-1 for the Dutch.

Still, after watching the first half my son decided it was time to go out and imitate Ivan de la Peña, so we did that, and I missed a rare chance to see the "younger brother" in action.

The tournament involves these two and a team from Uruguay, think it is Nacional. So I doubt I get to see Jono de G again soon.

I missed seeing Jonathan de Guzmán on tv yesterday, perhaps foolishly, as he played in the second half for Feyenoord vs. Espanyol in a tournament in China. I thought he might be playing as it was tape delayed on Catalan tv, and a news report had already shown highlights where I thought I saw him.

Game ended 2-1 for the Dutch.

Still, after watching the first half my son decided it was time to go out and imitate Ivan de la Peña, so we did that, and I missed a rare chance to see the "younger brother" in action.

The tournament involves these two and a team from Uruguay, think it is Nacional. So I doubt I get to see Jono de G again soon.

All is not lost just yet. A torrent of this match is available at MaXxed Football Forums. However, a post there indicates that Jonathan De Guzman came on in the 88th minute, so I don't know if it would be worth the download.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by canso

"go out and imitate Ivan de la Peña"

Que? Como? How do you do that exactly?

We just went out and kicked the ball around, I did not give my kid an anti-lice haircut.

But by asking I imagine you have clearly never seen the "little buddah" play.

De la Peña has deservedly returned to the Spanish national team after not seeing Spanish action for something like 7 years, since he was a sub 21.

A brilliant player when it comes to picking out strikers with through balls, fine free kicker, surprising good dribbler considering he never uses his left, not even controlling the ball. Probably one of the best attacking mids in Spain right now, along with Riquelme and Deco.

Archived