Canadians abroad: July 15-21, 2005

DJT

you have clearly never seen the "little buddah" play

I remember him popping up in the highlights of Soccer Saturday with Graham Leggat, which is like 10 years ago now. He was hailed as a child prodigy when he burst on to the scene with Barca and scored that goal from like 40 yards out, then dropped off the radar (wasn't he at Lazio for awhile)until recently. Glad to hear he's back and making children happy!

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by canso

you have clearly never seen the "little buddah" play

I remember him popping up in the highlights of Soccer Saturday with Graham Leggat, which is like 10 years ago now. He was hailed as a child prodigy when he burst on to the scene with Barca and scored that goal from like 40 yards out, then dropped off the radar (wasn't he at Lazio for awhile)until recently. Glad to hear he's back and making children happy!

He was at Lazio, loaned to Olimpique Marseille, not sure but I think the purchase was a costly one. He never used to defend, watched guys go past him. Always tried the most dramatic pass, when it worked it was amazing (folks forget he broke out at 19 during Ronaldo's incredible year at Barça, a lethal combination), but he abused the formula. Had injury problems. Now he is back as before, a good part of Espanyol's success last year had to do with his magic.

My son is 100% culé and in spite of city rivalries is quite drawn to Ivan's way, maybe he is sort of cuddly and spacey at once.

If I only missed a few minutes of Jonathan I don't feel too bad. But for him to be on the trip to China and playing, with a team that is in UEFA this year that looked good too (this young guy Castelan is interesting, Kuyt, Kalou, too, a good set up) is a good sign.

quote:Originally posted by Metro
Metro can you check this out for me. Covert at Xtratime has posted

Aris is back in the A Ethniki apparently now that Panionios has been given a 12 point deduction (and relegated) due to unpayed wages to foreign players.

The last info I had was:

13.OFI Heraklion 30 8 8 14 36-44 32

-----------------------------------------------

14.Aris Thessaloniki 30 5 13 12 26-37 25 [-3] Relegated

15.Ergotelis 30 5 5 20 19-50 20 Relegated

16.Kerkyra 30 3 8 19 21-49 17 Relegated

NB: Olympiakos and Panionios originally both had 3 points deducted as

punishment for the incidents before their match on Jan 9 but these

deductions were cancelled on appeal.

Is he correct and can you provide a link? Tks

Edit: Found this

http://www.emperor.gr/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=2030

but still need confirmation

PAOK won 2-1 against Enosi Thraki in a friendly, Fernandes was on the bench but did not play. It look like he'll be #2 this year behind Tohouroglou.

It's a good thing for him to have an experience keeper with him so he can learn something with him. Someone on the Paok forum said that Fernandes has an excellent body to become a good keeper but isn't there yet from what he saw last season.

I still think it would be dumb to play him against Spain but I feel it would be great to give him a 45 minutes against Luxembourg just to introduce him to the program.

After a one-match trial for English Conference South side St. Albans City in which he scored a goal, striker Elliott Godfrey has returned to and signed a contract with Hampton & Richmond Borough.

I find this rather odd. Godfrey was actually with the Saints before initially joining Hampton & Richmond in 2004. He goes back for a trial, does quite well, but does not end up signing on, or even getting a second trial match. You have to wonder if it was the decision of Godfrey himself not to sign for St. Albans....

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by loyola

PAOK won 2-1 against Enosi Thraki in a friendly, Fernandes was on the bench but did not play. It look like he'll be #2 this year behind Tohouroglou.

It's a good thing for him to have an experience keeper with him so he can learn something with him. Someone on the Paok forum said that Fernandes has an excellent body to become a good keeper but isn't there yet from what he saw last season.

I still think it would be dumb to play him against Spain but I feel it would be great to give him a 45 minutes against Luxembourg just to introduce him to the program.

Are you sure he didn't play, I think he was a 2nd half sub. According to www.paokfc.gr, he might have been a sub. Or am I reading this wrong?

:

PAOK defeated Enosi Thraki 2-1, in a friendly game that took place in front of more than 4.000 football fans.

Shikabala scored two times, the first at the 51st minute with a close shot and the second one 6 minutes later after a brilliant atomic effort. The only goal for Enosi Thraki scored Yiasin at the 69th minute.

Mr. Nikos Karageorgiou formed the following starting line-up:

Tohouroglou, Akyel, Malezas, Hasiotis, Haralambous, Mumin, Andralas, Maladenis, Shikabala, Mieciel and Yiasoumi.

Substitutes: Fernandes, Kiriakidis, Megahed, Koutsopoulos, Zografakis, Karipidis, Eleftheriadis and Vangelis.

In further news, PAOK have signed Greek national team captain Zagorakis, a 33 year old released by Bologna. He had formerly played for PAOK. The team looks quite competitive for this year, should have a better season than last.

Fernandes did in fact play the entire second half. So far, he has played an entire half in each of PAOK's first three friendlies and has yet to allow a goal. I believe PAOK packs up this weekend and heads to Austria to continue their pre-season training where (more importantly) they will begin to face much tougher competition.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

Metro can you check this out for me. Covert at Xtratime has posted

Aris is back in the A Ethniki apparently now that Panionios has been given a 12 point deduction (and relegated) due to unpayed wages to foreign players.

The last info I had was:

13.OFI Heraklion 30 8 8 14 36-44 32

-----------------------------------------------

14.Aris Thessaloniki 30 5 13 12 26-37 25 [-3] Relegated

15.Ergotelis 30 5 5 20 19-50 20 Relegated

16.Kerkyra 30 3 8 19 21-49 17 Relegated

NB: Olympiakos and Panionios originally both had 3 points deducted as

punishment for the incidents before their match on Jan 9 but these

deductions were cancelled on appeal.

Is he correct and can you provide a link? Tks

Edit: Found this

http://www.emperor.gr/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=2030

but still need confirmation

Panionios will not likely be relegated, at least not for this season. They were to be punished for not providing full payment to two former players, but the matter is still mired in Arbitration Court and with the beginning of the season 5 weeks away, it doesn't look like the matter will be resolved in time.

If you're interested in Aris because of Stathi Kappos, he may be staying in the 1st division, regardless. I read last week that he may be transferring to the Athenian team, Akratitos, which gained promotion to the 1st division last season. However, I have yet to find any confirmation of this.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Metro

Fernandes did in fact play the entire second half. So far, he has played an entire half in each of PAOK's first three friendlies and has yet to allow a goal. I believe PAOK packs up this weekend and heads to Austria to continue their pre-season training where (more importantly) they will begin to face much tougher competition.

To be exact, if he played the entire 2nd half vs this last team, their goal was on him m. 69.

Last summer, some may recall, they did the preseason in France and he played all or part of games vs. Bastia, Monaco and Girondins. So it is not like he is new to all this.

News from Greece suggests that with Zagorakis in they expect to make a serious challenge for the league. So exciting for Thunder.

Archived