Dale Mitchell Speaks Out On U20s, MLS + More

Ryan Keay

TorontoUltras.net Exclusive - Dale Mitchell Speaks Out On MLS And More

Mississauga, ON – Today, at the Wyndham Bristol Place, Canada Under 20 Manager Dale Mitchell held a press conference regarding the upcoming FIFA Under 20 World Cup to be held in the Netherlands.

During the open question and answer segment, Mitchell was cautious with his projections for the upcoming tournament, warning that the quarter-final result of the previous tournament in the United Arab Emirates would be difficult to replicate. Instead, Mitchell focused upon proceeding beyond the group stage as a reasonable goal for the squad.

Full article text regarding the press conference can be found at http://www.torontoultras.net and audio from the exclusive interview conducted by torontoultras.net can be found at '>http://www.torontoultras.net/audio.shtml

Thanks for your efforts guys. Very much appreciated.

Dale is doing a great job with limited resources. Good wish list. If he did have a residency camp in Vancouver for our youth teams, I think we'd see some benefits at the senior team level.

Just one minor complaint, it's pronounced "JACKIE", not "GUY-ACKI".

Hey, not too bad there lads. I wonder when was the last time a Canadian National team manager/coach had an interview available on the internet?

Never going to get any fantastic discoverys out of these things are you? It's all good politic and knowing the party line.

Like the bit about concentrating on winning and finding the way that works best for your team in doing that (at the club level). Guess it sort of goes without saying I know, but it sometimes takes a statement of simple truths to remind us that this MLS dream isn't something set up as a development vessel for future MNTs. It's going to be a club side with a business plan 1st and foremost. But here's to hoping (as the CSA dose) that it'll bring a better quality of player and play familiarity to the MNT as a side-effect.

As to why so many Canadians cheer for overseas teams when it comes to football. Well I guess Mitchell had to point the finger at anything but the CSAs lack of promotion of the senior game for that. Not saying he wasn't making some points. But in my opinion they're petty points and not really relivant to the greatest portion of Canada's sports watching public.

But what's he going to say?

"I guess it would help if we played at home more often. Especially with our 1st team. And against countrys people have heard of. Yeah. I think that would help. ****, those 4 years without a home date! What the fu'k were my bosses thinking on that one eh? Whoah, that was dumb. Hmmmm. Now that I think of it maybe making sure whoever gets the MNT broadcast rights has to guarentee all seven or eight matchs we play a year are show coast to coast live and on tape delay would've helped. Well, thank God those No-Minds have finaly come around to realising if they don't promote the game in Canada no one else will with this whole MLS thing."

Great. It's late and now there'll be no going back to sleep...

P.S. Again, good work.

Interesting comment on De Guzman qualifying for the Netherlands soon.....I wonder if this is having an impact on his commitment as I believe the rule states that you can only switch allegiances later on if you were qualified to play for both nations when you first were capped for one. therefore, if he played for Canada now, he would rule out the Netherlands forever. However, if he waited to play for Canada until once he was qualified for the Netherlands, he could play for us at the junior level and switch sides later on if he was selected to the senior Dutch side. Another way of looking at is far more depressing, he is just waiting to qualify for the Netherlands and once he does, he will play for them. Yikes!

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Because he's a great young player. He helped to set up 2 of the 3 goals in the matches I saw.

As well, I'd add because he's eager, seems like a heck of nice young man (through interviews I've seen and read) and committed despite having not spent a heck of a lot of time in Canada in his young life. Now, he's also one of the U-20 players who trains full time with a professional first team. Don't know how much time he'll get with the Fire this year in first team games (if any), but he undoubtedly will be involved in the reserve team and in regular training with the entire squad.

Lots to like IMHO.

I liked his comments on the MLS that it allows Canadians to play full-time soccer for 10 to 11 months a year and that you have to consider the players perspective on their own development. You can't ask the player to stay in Canada when their ultimate goal is to play in Europe. This is the thing that the supporters of Canadian league forget...the player. A player wants to play full-time competitive soccer in the best environment they can. A Canadian league would be part-time and not very competitive. We need to offer Canadians the opportunity to play full-time and have a career in soccer...only the MLS can do that now.

Archived