CSA announces squad for U17 Italian camp/tourney

ray

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2031

Men's Junior (U-17) Team

Friday, February 04, 2005

Hart Selects 18 Players for Italy

Stephen Hart

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s Junior Under-17 Team Head Coach Stephen Hart today announced his 18-player roster for a training camp from February 6-16, 2005 in Arco, Italy. While in Italy, the team will compete in the Beppe-Viola International Youth Tournament.

The team will depart tomorrow and return to Canada on Thursday, February 17, 2005.

“Most of the players are not playing at the moment, so this is a wonderful opportunity for the squad to get together and play games against quality opposition,” said Hart.

More information on the Beppe-Viola International Youth Tournament can be found by visiting: www.beppeviola-arco.it

Canada is preparing for group B final round CONCACAF Under-17 qualifying where they will compete against Haiti, Honduras, and host Mexico for a place in the 2005 FIFA U-17 World Championship in Peru from September 15 – October 2, 2005.

Beppe-Viola International Youth Tournament

GROUP A

Atalanta

AC Milan

Reggina

JEF United (Japan)

GROUP B

Juventus

Fiorentina

Salernitana

Rappr. TT.AA

GROUP C

Torino

Parma

Lazio

CANADA

GROUP D

Sampdoria

Inter Milan

Roma

Arco

Canadian Game Schedule

February 10, 2005 @ 14:30 - Torri del Benaco

CANADA vs. Parma

February 11, 2005 @ 14:30 - Arco/Romarzollo

CANADA vs. Torino

February 12, 2005 @ 14:30 - Volano

CANADA vs. Lazio

February 13, 2005 @ 10:30 - Arco/Via Pomerio

Winner Group C vs. Winner Group A

February 15, 2005

@ TBD - TBD - CANADA vs. JEF United (Japan)

OR @ 15:00 - Arco/Via Pomerio - Final

*Schedule is subject to change.

Roster

# Pos. Name Club or NTC Date of Birth Hometown Prov

1 GK MONSALVE, David Ontario 21-Dec-88 Brampton ON

2 D BRAICH, Harman Alberta 30-May-88 Edmonton AB

3 D LANG, Adam BC 9-Feb-88 Chilliwack BC

4 D AWUAKYE, Joseph Ontario 21-Jan-88 Scarborough ON

5 D RIDLEY, Curtis Alberta 9-Feb-88 Edmonton AB

6 D KEREK, Robert SC Freiburg (Germany) 15-Jan-88 Freiburg GER

7 M OLIVEIRA, Kyle Ontario 4-Mar-88 Oakville ON

8 M MARRELLO, Alex BC 28-Sep-88 Burnaby BC

9 F AKUOKO, Johnson Ontario 17-Apr-88 Toronto ON

10 F MAYARD, (Pierre) Rudolph Quebec 21-Feb-88 Montreal QC

11 M LAMMIE, Selvin (Shane) Ontario 3-Aug-88 Toronto ON

12 M BOURGAULT, Jonathan Beaulieu Quebec 27-Sep-88 Ile Bizard QC

13 M SEMINARA, Pasubio Carlo Salernitana Sport S.p.A. (Italy) 24-May-88 Caledon East ON

14 F NUNEZ, Christian Quebec 7-Jul-88 Montreal QC

15 F GRAY, AJ Ontario 12-Apr-88 Brampton ON

16 F AYRE, Keegan BC 4-Jul-88 Coquitlam BC

17 F COURCELLE, Kevin Royal Excelsior Mouscron (Belgium) 15-Feb-88 Montreal QC

22 GK KALTHOFF, Zach Alberta 20-Nov-88 Calgary AB

Staff

LINFORD, Colin Head of Delegation

HART, Stephen Head Coach - U17 Men

DiPIETRANTONIO, Andrea Assistant Coach

LAARABI, Djamel Equipment Manager/GK Coach

PELLEGRINO, Anthony Athletic Therapist

DEDONATO, David Liaison

COCHRANE, Earl National Teams Manager

its really funny how 13 M SEMINARA, Pasubio Carlo Salernitana Sport S.p.A. (Italy) 24-May-88 Caledon East ON

is also listed on his club teams roster for the tournament. Looks like he's goin to play for 2 teams.lol..anyways i could comment on a few players from ontario that made the squad. Johnson Akouko he's been training wit Ntc ontario and loooks in good form. Also Carlos Rivaas of Cruz Azul (mexico) U-20 has been training with the Ntc ontario because of a shoulder injury. So he's going back to mexico in 2 weeks. Aslo look out for Shane Lammie..This player is going to make it big some day. Very quick pace..but most of all has great skill. He's are next Peters.

I just went back and checked, found the threads around November 1 time frame, our U17 team beat El Salvador 4-2 in San Salvadore, Shane Lammie had 2 of the goals and aided in another one by creating a penalty. He also had a goal in the 3-1 loss to the US U17 team. I should of bumped the thread to see if the roster was pretty similar to the one going to Italy, but I believe most of it is.

The regs are interesting. The Group matches will only be 70 minutes long, because of no rest days. The semis will be 80 ', with immediate penalty kicks if tied. The final (3rd place to be decided by fair play quotient among semi losers) will be 80' too, with a extra 20 minute extra time followed by penalty kicks if still tied. 7 substitutes are permitted for each match.

Group tiebreaks (only the Group winners advance):1) Points - 2) penalty kicks if tied teams are playing last group match- 3) Outcome of direct matches between tied teams- 4) Goal difference total matches - 5) Goals total matches - 6) Lots

It's good that Canada plays the extra match with the Japanese club (if neither makes the final) so that they will get a lot of preparation in.

In case you are trying to remember, the qualifying tournament for the U-17 Worlds in Peru in Sept 15-October 2, will be played sometime in April or May. Mexico is hosting the 2005 CONCACAF Under-17 Final Round Group B, which also includes Canada, Haiti and Honduras. The fixtures for this quadrangular are yet to be finalized, but the event must be played during the months of April or May 2005. The top of each Group advances, and the 2nd place plays the 2nd of the other Group in a home-and-away for the 3rd CONCACAF spot for the 16 team Worlds.

Arco is located in the Northeast, very close to the City of Trento.

I thought the article on Lensky inferred that his father wanted to leave open the possibility of his son playing for (I thought it was Slovakia, not Czech Republic), but I had not seen anything written in "stone".

It was posted on here about three months or so ago that Napoleao was going to Newcastle on trial. I had not heard or seen anything that he has come back or completed his trial unsuccessfully, so I can only assume he is still there.

Napoleao is back home right now. I just saw him a few ays ago. I was told he went through trials with Portsmouth, Charlton, and Albion in the summer but he had troubles with attaining a work permit despite interest from the clubs. Moreover, he is booked to have surgery very soon to correct some rare type of syndrome in his legs. That may be why he is not partaking in the trip. From what I've seen he is by far the best 88 from AB.

Just some information on this tour for the Under 17 squad.

Top two Favorites In each groups (but only one advances)

Group One Milan, Atalanta. These two teams have had battles and some good futbol games tuff to pick. But as a Milan fan I will give the edge to Milan to win the tournament.

Group two Juve and Fiorentina

Bascally all in 2nd place teams currently in thier division also a tough group but i will give the edge to Juve.

Group three Canada - Parma

Canada should not have problems here as most of the teams may not be at the level of Canadas as all the team 4 and 5th place standings here. Canada should advance to the next round and have a better challenge with Milan.

Group four Inter Roma

Roma and inter closely matched either can go to the final but I will pick Roma to finish on top.

Semi - Milan - Canada (Milan)

Juve --- Roma (Juve)

Archived