Hirschfeld signs to backup Ian Walker

Jeremy Loome

....I guess the trial must've gone well!

LEICESTER, England (CP) — Canadian international goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld has signed with Leicester City for the rest of the season.

The 26-year-old from Edmonton was with Dundee United in Scotland most recently. Before that he was with Tottenham of the English Premier League.

“Lars has been brought in on a temporary basis until the end of the season and it’s up to him to prove himself,” Leicester manager Craig Levein was quoted on the club’s website.

“We want to see if he could be our backup goalkeeper for next season but we needed to do something quickly with regards to a No. 2 for Ian Walker.”

Hirschfeld, who has played for Canada 17 times, joins the Foxes as veteran ’keeper Kevin Pressman leaves the club.

The Canadian is expected to be in uniform Saturday, backing up Walker when Leicester plays Reading in the FA Cup.

Leicester is 14th in the Football Championship, the old first division.

Pressman parts company with Foxes (BBC)

Pressman arrived at Leicester on a one-year deal last summer

Leicester City have terminated the contract of veteran goalkeeper Kevin Pressman by mutual consent.

After 19 years at Sheffield Wednesday, Pressman joined the Foxes on a one-year deal last summer.

The 37-year-old made just 15 appearances for the club in the absence of injured Ian Walker.

Pressman's exit is expected to pave the way for Canada International Lars Hirschfeld to join up with the Foxes from Dundee United.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Leicester eye Rab

By Jim McLean

111 words

23 February 2005

The Daily Express

English

© 2005 Express Newspapers

RAB DOUGLAS could end his Celtic torture by joining Leicester City in the summer.

However, the Scotland shot-stopper, the fall guy in Celtic's defeat by Rangers on Sunday, is only one of six keepers interesting boss Craig Levein.

The former Hearts coach contacted Douglas' agent Blair Morgan weeks ago in the knowledge his Celtic contract expires in the summer.

So far Levein has only asked to be kept informed about Douglas' plans, but what is for sure is that current first choice Ian Walker is on his way out of City and the same goes for deputy Lars Hirschfeld, signed from Dundee United.

This guy has no luck whatsoever. Too bad. I agree with most of you: It might be time for him to head back to the USL. Better than sitting on a bench game in and game out.

Montreal is set with Sutton and I imagine Franks will stay on in Vancouver. What about the Lynx? They had one of the worst goals-against averages last year.Busby is an ex-goalkeeper, maybe he could sign Lars and free up an import spot(Hancock counts as an import , doesn't he?) Does anyone feel he might be a good fit in To?

Norway and Sweden are in pre-season, so he should quit wasting his time riding the pine in England.

He has potential, but unless he's going to play regularly he may as well flush it down the toilet.

Yes, even the A-League is a viable option at this point.

When was the last time Lars actually played first team football for more than a month ? PDL with the Storm ?

It's time Yallop let Lars sort himself out and gave Kenny a chance.

quote:Originally posted by Alberto7

This guy has no luck whatsoever. Too bad. I agree with most of you: It might be time for him to head back to the USL. Better than sitting on a bench game in and game out.

Montreal is set with Sutton and I imagine Franks will stay on in Vancouver. What about the Lynx? They had one of the worst goals-against averages last year.Busby is an ex-goalkeeper, maybe he could sign Lars and free up an import spot(Hancock counts as an import , doesn't he?) Does anyone feel he might be a good fit in To?

Hancock is almost certainly gone now... From what I have heard, the goalkeeper spot for the Lynx has already been placed in very capable hands. It would be nice if the club actually announced a signing or two.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Norway and Sweden are in pre-season, so he should quit wasting his time riding the pine in England.

He has potential, but unless he's going to play regularly he may as well flush it down the toilet.

When was the last time Lars actually played first team football for more than a month ? PDL with the Storm ?

It's literally been years now since Lars was first choice or at least seeing a few consecutive games.

To me, one sad aspect is that his initial couple loan spells from Tottenham (Luton and Gillingham??) seemed positive but both ended in injury, if I recall. At Dundee, he just didn't seem to get it done, though in a very small window of opportunity. I was always convinced that Leicester would bring in more experience when Walker leaves but completely shutting out Lars is a disappointing turn of events.

First team football has to be his absolute first priority now. I've always defended his selection based on the alternatives but having a first choice national team keeper who has not seen regular first team action in, what, 4 years, is certainly a bit sad.

It's literally been years now since Lars was first choice or at least seeing a few consecutive games.

To me, one sad aspect is that his initial couple loan spells from Tottenham (Luton and Gillingham??) seemed positive but both ended in injury, if I recall. At Dundee, he just didn't seem to get it done, though in a very small window of opportunity. I was always convinced that Leicester would bring in more experience when Walker leaves but completely shutting out Lars is a disappointing turn of events.

First team football has to be his absolute first priority now. I've always defended his selection based on the alternatives but having a first choice national team keeper who has not seen regular first team action in, what, 4 years, is certainly a bit sad.

I fine the story quite weird considering they just signed him less than a month ago for the remainder of the season in order that he prooves himself. If they plan to let him go at the end of the season so quickly, why did they sign him and let someone else go to do it.

Anyway, lets see if a more reputable source than the express confirms it.

quote:Originally posted by Ryan Keay

Hancock is almost certainly gone now... From what I have heard, the goalkeeper spot for the Lynx has already been placed in very capable hands. It would be nice if the club actually announced a signing or two.

Who is it? Is Zagar back or what?

If I recall correctly, Lars did not play a full season with the Storm that year. Didn't he leave early ?

Yes he left in late July but he had played something like 16 games for the Storm. I saw him play in a 1-0 loss to the Impact on a Sunday after losing 4-2 to the Lynx on the Saturday. He did what he could but the team was simply exhausted.

Archived