U20 CONCACAF Qlfyng Sched for Canada in Honduras

beachesl

quote:Originally posted by juaninho

Thanks for the great description Champs. That helps alot, and only builds more excitement for the qualifying tourney! I only hope that both commit to the team.

Oh and beachesl, yet another question. Has Dylan Hughes confirmed his desire to help the Canadian cause, or is he still considering Wales?

Well, the last I heard was September's posting by Ian Kennet of his

letter from Hughes:

"Dear Mr. Kennett,

Thank you for your letter which I received a couple weeks ago. I'd like for yourself and others to understand that choosing to play for Wales is not my final deceision but was only a choice which I took for gaining experience. I wanted to have a look at their set up and how the team was. As far as my nationality I am Canadian and always will be. I tell you that wearing the Welsh jersey was an honour, but I don't think that I could really have the same pride and honour wearing it as if I were to play for Canada.

As a young player, you want to experience and evaluate all of your options in your career and gain the most amount of experience in doing so. I thought that playing for Wales in friendly games would give me that but would not take me away form being part of the Canadian soccer program. I am proud to say that I am Canadian and always will be. When the World Cup (U-20) qualifications begin in January I will likely be playing and scoring goals for my country, Canada!!

Sincerely,

Dylan Hughes

Kaiserslautern Germany"

He is also still listed on the CSA U20 player pool on the CSA site, but that is usualy a little out of date. Interesting that Hughes played (not just on the bench) for both Canada (against Jamaica) and later Wales (against Latvia) this past summer ( I have never heard of this being done before), and as I read the FIFA regs, this is technicaly illegal without some declaration from FIFA that he can do this. A youth can be capped-tied (though not irrevocably if he applies once for a one-time switch within the right times) for playing for their country. If I am right, then Wales (like the CSA, a poorly run Association) may have been in breach if they didn't do their paper work (and who knows?). Where that leaves his status for Canada is beyond me, but Canada better check it out with FIFA, or they could be decked for playing an ineligible player in Honduras.

Oh, by the way, do not get him confused, like I always do, with Tyler Hughes , the defender who played with the Lynx this year and was on the bench for the MNT match in Guatemala.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

canso, speaking of Gyaki, i was loitering around the Blades' website, and they have match reports for their u-18s squad. Apparently Gyaki was injured for some time but returned Oct 30.

He also made it onto the reserves bench on Wednesday, which isn't too shabby.

Oh and Alberto, could you give us a break down of the differences between Uccello and Lombardo? You've given us a good picture of Uccello, but what of Lombardo? Perhaps you can save the commentary for when/if he confirms participation.

Thanks

I have seen Lombardo play here has scored some key goals for Atalanta primavera team. I believe at this time he has 4 goals for his team. He is be used as a Striker and midlfield for his team and has done well, but my vantage point I do see him being more of central midfielder at this time. This is his first season in Italy and playing with players relatively to his age 87 and being where he is is good for him as Atalanta is one of my favorites clubs with Milan as having a good youth system. As Far as comparison with Uccello they are truly two diferent players one has what the other does not and vise versa. But to put in to prospective Uccello is a Striker where as Lombardo is not. and Uccello is not a Midfielder where i think Lombardo is. He is also younger and that 1 year of age difference in Italy makes the differnce in the world and giving a strong advantage to Uccello specialy playing in Serie D rather than primavera.

But i have read most of the responses in this forum and look at some of the line ups and suggestions i would like to offer my input but only one looking outside in. From what i can see you have many midfielders that could the job if anything for this team to advance you to the next round I believe you have to focus on your back four without touching your 87. Any 86 or 85 out there!

Here are my choices as far european players as a team I dont see many defenders maybe you can add them or tell me about them.

Lalli- De Jong- Wilson- Gyaki- Rivas- Czoli (6) Midfielders 85/86

Uccello - Hughes 85/86 (2) Strikers

Ledgerwood - Kassaye (2) Defenders 86/85

Begovic - Giacomi (2) goalies 86/85

Young talent 87 Edgar- Peters- Lombardo- Deguzman

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

He is also still listed on the CSA U20 player pool on the CSA site, but that is usualy a little out of date. Interesting that Hughes played (not just on the bench) for both Canada (against Jamaica) and later Wales (against Latvia) this past summer ( I have never heard of this being done before), and as I read the FIFA regs, this is technicaly illegal without some declaration from FIFA that he can do this. A youth can be capped-tied (though not irrevocably if he applies once for a one-time switch within the right times) for playing for their country. If I am right, then Wales (like the CSA, a poorly run Association) may have been in breach if they didn't do their paper work (and who knows?). Where that leaves his status for Canada is beyond me, but Canada better check it out with FIFA, or they could be decked for playing an ineligible player in Honduras.

This only holds for official games, not friendlies. Seeing as both games were friendlies and he is eligible to play for both countries, there isn't a problem. Also, if he does get cap-tied at the youth level (he must step on the pitch in an official game), he can switch for a different national team at senior level.

Anybody else secretly hoping the reason Mitchell has not released the Florida camp roster is because he's still pressing DeGuzman to give us a shot? Sure, he's probably trying to free a number of players from club duty, but I'm hoping he can bring the DeGuz into the fold. Uccello will score more goals if DeGuzman is feeding him. Could be exciting stuff.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

This only holds for official games, not friendlies. Seeing as both games were friendlies and he is eligible to play for both countries, there isn't a problem. Also, if he does get cap-tied at the youth level (he must step on the pitch in an official game), he can switch for a different national team at senior level.

Daniel maybe I can help there are Four very important criteria how many passport one holds, and a what Level, in what game. and under the age of 21

If a player has played for the First mens team of an Association then there is nothing one can do regarless of his age or how many passports he holds he cannot switch association.

If a player holds two passports and has never played for the first team and or represented an association in a youth competative match game then he can if he so choose before the age of 21 switch to another association if asked.

If a player holds only one passport and has particpated in a competative match game for an association during that time he may not switch.

Remember that exibition games are not a factor for any, He can play in as many games as he wishes but the important one is the Competation match of a youth for one passport and for two the mens team would be a factor.

Also a player may if he has two passports and is the age of 21 in the year of 2004 or older and has not particapted in a mens match of an association then he too can switch but it must be done no later than Dec 31, of 2004 after which he cannot nd if im correct not sure he must have had a dual passport prior to the first match of at the youth level .

hope this helps

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Anybody else secretly hoping the reason Mitchell has not released the Florida camp roster is because he's still pressing DeGuzman to give us a shot? Sure, he's probably trying to free a number of players from club duty, but I'm hoping he can bring the DeGuz into the fold. Uccello will score more goals if DeGuzman is feeding him. Could be exciting stuff.

Yes, it would definitely make for exciting Honduran play-by-play listening. If only I could understand Spanish.

Anything we can do to try and convince Sportsnet to show some of these games?

I'll take a shot at the starting lineup and 18 man roster for the qualifying round based on what I have seen (very little), heard and read.

Starters (4-4-2)

Wagenaar

Ramalho - Edgar - Kassaye - Kelly

DeJong - Gyaki - Ledgerwood - Peters

Uccello - Hughes

Subs

Lindley, Haineault, Davis, Rosenlund, Charowski, O'Neill, Lombardo

Note: Jonathan DeGuzman inserted into starting lineup if he commits.

Also, Champs, I will take you up on your offer of information on young players.

Any comment on Shane Lammie, an '88 who some say may be our best prospect?

I watched a Direct Kicks episode profiling the Dixie 89ers in a tournament in Europe. Scouts of Man Utd and Blackburn were interviewed and were raving about the players on that team. Are you familiar with them?

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Anybody else secretly hoping the reason Mitchell has not released the Florida camp roster is because he's still pressing DeGuzman to give us a shot?

I am not as timid with my hope Beaver :) I sincerely hope DeGuz the younger joins DeGuz the older for our worthwhile cause (although for different age representation of course) - global soccer tyranny. Forget about the Oranje Jonathan, Red is the colour!

What position does Jonathan DeGuzman play anyway? Is he a midfielder like his brother? I imagine being brothers, they are probably similar in stature and physique, though i remember reading that he is taller.

quote:Originally posted by canso

now that's the full reserve team, rather than the youth reserve team?

how about Lindley, how's he making out at Sheffield United? Is he the clear first choice goalkeeper over Wagenaar and Begovic and Giacomi?

I couldn't find anything on Lindley, but maybe i am not looking hard enough - or in the right places. As for Begovic, has played 11 of the 12 U18 fixtures for Pompey. Don't know individual stats, but seeing that the Portsmouth U-18s are 7-2-3, I figure he's playing alright.

http://www.pompeyfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Youth/

As for Wagenaar, here's a link to his stats at Hartwick College:

http://info.hartwick.edu/athl/MensSoccer/msoccer2004/Teamcume.htm

A rather slender 0.87 GAA, plus they tore those Yalies a new one with a 2-0 victory!

I think Lindley is either injured or out on loan somewhere as after starting most of Sheff United's reserve matches last year, he has completely disappeared from their line ups (even as a back up). And he is not on the U-18 side either. Considering they were very high on him, I can't believe he was dropped this year. Moreover, they loaned him out last year a bit as well. So I speculate that he is the conference or one of the leagues below that.

Rember also there is Giacomi (sp?) from the Glasgow Rangers in this group as well....we are pretty deep in goal

I think our biggest weakness is central midfield as we have no proven ball winners or creative forces from this position. Gyaki seems to have moved backwards (both in development and literally) as he is playing in central defense as an over age player at Sheffield United. Ledgerwood is a winger or right back, Charowski is unproven at this level, which means we may have to rely on Hughes dropping back to play creative midfield (I think he did that last year for Kaiserslautern some of the time) and have either Ledgerwood move inside or one of Edgar, Hainault or Kassaye move forward to play the ball winner role. I think Schiavoni (sp?) may play inside in Italy but I am not sure.

Nevertheless, I think this side has the best talent we have ever assembled at this level. The question now is whether they will gel as a team and whether like Hume last time, one of Uccelo, Hughes, O'Neil, Wilson, Lali, or Sheppherd can be relied on to score goals at this level. None of them (other than maybe Hughes to a point) have so far scored consistently at this level (and I am not counting club form or with the U-17s as that is completely different).

I think Lindley is either injured or out on loan somewhere as after starting most of Sheff United's reserve matches last year, he has completely disappeared from their line ups (even as a back up). And he is not on the U-18 side either. Considering they were very high on him, I can't believe he was dropped this year. Moreover, they loaned him out last year a bit as well. So I speculate that he is the conference or one of the leagues below that.

Rember also there is Giacomi (sp?) from the Glasgow Rangers in this group as well....we are pretty deep in goal

I think our biggest weakness is central midfield as we have no proven ball winners or creative forces from this position. Gyaki seems to have moved backwards (both in development and literally) as he is playing in central defense as an over age player at Sheffield United. Ledgerwood is a winger or right back, Charowski is unproven at this level, which means we may have to rely on Hughes dropping back to play creative midfield (I think he did that last year for Kaiserslautern some of the time) and have either Ledgerwood move inside or one of Edgar, Hainault or Kassaye move forward to play the ball winner role. I think Schiavoni (sp?) may play inside in Italy but I am not sure.

Nevertheless, I think this side has the best talent we have ever assembled at this level. The question now is whether they will gel as a team and whether like Hume last time, one of Uccelo, Hughes, O'Neil, Wilson, Lali, or Sheppherd can be relied on to score goals at this level. None of them (other than maybe Hughes to a point) have so far scored consistently at this level (and I am not counting club form or with the U-17s as that is completely different).

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

We also have Begovic in the mix, who is sure to be on the expanded 22 man roster if we get to the 2005 World Youth Cup, but Mitchell may go with 2 older keepers for qualifying where the roster limit is 18. (He did that for 2003 where he kept Karim & Fernandes for qualifying, but brought Wagenaar and Lindley to the WYC.)

"I think our biggest weakness is central midfield as we have no proven ball winners or creative forces from this position. Gyaki seems to have moved backwards (both in development and literally) as he is playing in central defense as an over age player at Sheffield United. Ledgerwood is a winger or right back, Charowski is unproven at this level, which means we may have to rely on Hughes dropping back to play creative midfield (I think he did that last year for Kaiserslautern some of the time) and have either Ledgerwood move inside or one of Edgar, Hainault or Kassaye move forward to play the ball winner role. I think Schiavoni (sp?) may play inside in Italy but I am not sure."

Agreed. That's bad news about Gyaki. I was counting on him as the ball winner.He was team captain in recent tournaments and I thought he was the main defensive midfielder. Ledgerwood, from what I understand, is defensive-minded which is why I would have played him here if we had noone else. I would move him to right back should DeGuzman come in. I think one of the Edmonton guys posted that Kassaye looked good in midfield, but on the wing, not the centre. We do not hear much on Schiavoni lately, maybe Alberto can provide some input. Alberto did say Lombardo looked good in midfield for Atalanta Primavera and is big and strong, so maybe he is an option.

"Nevertheless, I think this side has the best talent we have ever assembled at this level. The question now is whether they will gel as a team and whether like Hume last time, one of Uccelo, Hughes, O'Neil, Wilson, Lali, or Sheppherd can be relied on to score goals at this level. None of them (other than maybe Hughes to a point) have so far scored consistently at this level (and I am not counting club form or with the U-17s as that is completely different)."

O'Neill has been scoring regularly, moreso than Hughes, in recent friendlies so I think he can be counted on. In 2003, the NA based guys like Lemire and Bruno got more time than Euro based Belotte Godfrey so hopefully O'Neill and Wilson can surprise.

The scary part is I do not see any of the strikers playing at the same level as Hume, so hopefully, one of this talented group can emerge.

Edit: Geez, that did not come out right. I really am computer illiterate.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

We also have Begovic in the mix, who is sure to be on the expanded 22 man roster if we get to the 2005 World Youth Cup, but Mitchell may go with 2 older keepers for qualifying where the roster limit is 18. (He did that for 2003 where he kept Karim & Fernandes for qualifying, but brought Wagenaar and Lindley to the WYC.)

"I think our biggest weakness is central midfield as we have no proven ball winners or creative forces from this position. Gyaki seems to have moved backwards (both in development and literally) as he is playing in central defense as an over age player at Sheffield United. Ledgerwood is a winger or right back, Charowski is unproven at this level, which means we may have to rely on Hughes dropping back to play creative midfield (I think he did that last year for Kaiserslautern some of the time) and have either Ledgerwood move inside or one of Edgar, Hainault or Kassaye move forward to play the ball winner role. I think Schiavoni (sp?) may play inside in Italy but I am not sure."

Agreed. That's bad news about Gyaki. I was counting on him as the ball winner.He was team captain in recent tournaments and I thought he was the main defensive midfielder. Ledgerwood, from what I understand, is defensive-minded which is why I would have played him here if we had noone else. I would move him to right back should DeGuzman come in. I think one of the Edmonton guys posted that Kassaye looked good in midfield, but on the wing, not the centre. We do not hear much on Schiavoni lately, maybe Alberto can provide some input. Alberto did say Lombardo looked good in midfield for Atalanta Primavera and is big and strong, so maybe he is an option.

"Nevertheless, I think this side has the best talent we have ever assembled at this level. The question now is whether they will gel as a team and whether like Hume last time, one of Uccelo, Hughes, O'Neil, Wilson, Lali, or Sheppherd can be relied on to score goals at this level. None of them (other than maybe Hughes to a point) have so far scored consistently at this level (and I am not counting club form or with the U-17s as that is completely different)."

O'Neill has been scoring regularly, moreso than Hughes, in recent friendlies so I think he can be counted on. In 2003, the NA based guys like Lemire and Bruno got more time than Euro based Belotte Godfrey so hopefully O'Neill and Wilson can surprise.

The scary part is I do not see any of the strikers playing at the same level as Hume, so hopefully, one of this talented group can emerge.

Edit: Geez, that did not come out right. I really am computer illiterate.

After much deliberation, and some hallucination:

The Team that will beat Mexico:

-----Wagenaar---- Bench

GK Giacomi

---Davis--Hainault GK Begovic

D Edgar

Ledgerwood------Czoli D Kassaye

D Ramalho

--------DeJong----- DM Gyaki

AM Rosenlund

Rivas--Schiavoni---Charowski AM Lombardo

AM Peeters

Uccello----Hughes F Lalli

F Proctor

Couple things to like about this team; we have kids (Czoli and Rivas) playing in the Mexican league and they and the Italian based lads give a real Latin flair to the side. There is also a lot of depth in midfield with NCAA all star Tyler Rosenlund, winged wonder Jamie Peeters exciting options off the bench when a goal is needed and the Hungarian hard man Gyaki to shore up the midfield when they have the lead.

On to Holland 2005! I predict the Dutch boy DeJong will make them a favorite of the fans, and those who love jazz (and many Nederlanders do) will especially take to Myles Davis. Canada becomes the nations adopted team after the host side (and Jono DeGuzman) dissapoint and Dale Mitchell gets the national team job in time to prepare for the 2010 WCQ!

He is? Wow!

The Team that will beat Mexico, version 1.1

-----Wagenaar----

---Davis--Hainault

Ledgerwood------Czoli

--------DeJong-----

Rivas--Schiavoni---Charowski

---Uccello----Hughes

Bench:

GK Giacomi (what's the latest on this guy with Rangers?)

GK Begovic

D Edgar (the captain of the 07 team)

D Ramalho

D Kassaye

DM Gyaki (spit 'em out!)

AM Rosenlund

AM Peeters

AM Lombardo

F Lalli

F Proctor

F O'Neill

He is? Wow!

-----Wagenaar----

---Davis--Hainault

Ledgerwood------Czoli

--------DeJong-----

---Uccello----Hughes

Bench:

GK Begovic

D Ramalho

D Kassaye

DM Gyaki (spit 'em out!)

AM Rosenlund

AM Peeters

AM Lombardo

F Lalli

F Proctor

F O'Neill

I dont think that Charoski Quailfies for these rounds according to age he is a 83 class,...all players must be 85 and younger

Wagenaar

ledgerwood --Hainault-- -Ramalho-- -Kassaye

85 86 86 85

o'neill --- Rivas ------ De Jong

85 85 86

Wilson

Huges -- Uccello

85 86

sub should includ Gyaki 85 -Rivas 86- Czoli 86- Lalli 85(Midfielders & attackers)

Giacomi 86(goalie)

Edgar 87 defender

your now at 17 players and no defenders except for edgar class 87

I appears to be low on denfence with experience in the area Davis is he a defender I thought he plays mid.

any others out there in defence

quote:Originally posted by hottoddy7

Why would you leave out peters?

oppps, im sorry yes of course peters he was on my previous list of players above. But again we would have to remove one of the others in mid with to much expereince, and there is also guzman as well.

The Question is how many 87 should you bring up and how many midfielders would you like to have.

Peters has not convince me that he belongs to this year squad but surely in the next 2008. Lack of playing time and conditioning may be a factor for him I would perfer

o'neill --- Rivas ------ De Jong--------Wilson-----Gyaki-------Czoli---Lalli----

all these 7 players and the two strikers Hughes and Uccello bring it to 11 with the goalies and the 4 denfenders now at 15 the remaining players added to this list should be of a defence oriention and in the 85 86 class however Edgar would be in as one now at 16 players. 2 more defenders and the team is fine I would think! But he and these others would be next in line if any of the midfielders above dont show up or cannot make the commitment ---- Peters, Lombardo, guzman, all 87's

Way to many mids and attackers not much in Defence and only 18 players on the list....... 3 maybe 4 players that can play it! to do well I think yhou require require at least 6 to 7 defenders good Defenders I only see 4 for sure out of the 5 with Edgar right now! with ledgerwood --Hainault-- -Ramalho-- -Kassaye ----Edgar

If that explains my thoughts to you but again what do I know about peters, not much over let say the european players. I always like mexican players so I included them as well in the line up with a name rivas you cannot go wrong.

I guess another way to put it when you have players like Peters lombardo and guzman set aside on this team i guess you can say thats a good thing. The question is to get all of these players on the field as a team is another question.

He is? Wow!

-----Wagenaar----

---Davis--Hainault

Ledgerwood------Czoli

--------DeJong-----

---Uccello----Hughes

Bench:

GK Begovic

D Ramalho

D Kassaye

DM Gyaki (spit 'em out!)

AM Rosenlund

AM Peeters

AM Lombardo

F Lalli

F Proctor

F O'Neill

Giacomi recently made the bench for a testimonial match a month ago or less which is good.

Isnt there another kid playing for celtic does he qualify for this age group?

Archived