U20 CONCACAF Qlfyng Sched for Canada in Honduras

beachesl

Alberto, other potential defenders (other than the 5 you named) are:

Myles Davis (86) who played a large role at the last U17 tourney and is a defender for NCAA Final Four UCSB;

Patrick Kelly (86) who was injured during the last U17 tourney, but played significant minutes in the last round of exhibition games;

Matthew Britner (85) who I read is quite good, but tore up his knee and is out for the year;

Trevor Delpippo (86) who I have not heard anything from since the last U17 tourney; and

John Castrillon (85) who played with the Mustangs last year before leaving for Germany where he was playing for FC Schweinfort (sp?)

There is also a younger guy named Masumi Turnbull (87) who was apparently very impressive in the last warmup tourney vs. the US. That tourney featured Danny Szetela for the US, who is now in MLS.

and Jordan, the guy at Celtic is Jacob Lensky, an 88, who is probably a little young for this round.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Castrillon Jr. hasn't played a minute at FC Schweinfurt that I know of. He might be back in Calgary as the club has declared bankruptcy. He is a good young player but the last I read at the Schweinfurt site he was injured and out of action.

Patrick Kelly is coming off the worst of knee injuries and was at Trinity Western this season I believe. I am not sure if his game is back where it was 2 years ago with the U17s. He had tons of promise at that point as a left sided midfielder.

Here is his profile. Not only is he a good looking kid, he is very well-mannered (polite to his elders) unlike many youngsters on this forum. :)

http://www.twu.ca/athletics/default.aspx?TopicID=388&ICardID=1859

quote:Originally posted by Ed

John Castrillon Jr. hasn't played a minute at FC Schweinfurt that I know of. He might be back in Calgary as the club has declared bankruptcy. He is a good young player but the last I read at the Schweinfurt site he was injured and out of action.

Patrick Kelly is coming off the worst of knee injuries and was at Trinity Western this season I believe. I am not sure if his game is back where it was 2 years ago with the U17s. He had tons of promise at that point as a left sided midfielder.

Here is his profile. Not only is he a good looking kid, he is very well-mannered (polite to his elders) unlike many youngsters on this forum. :)http://www.twu.ca/athletics/default.aspx?TopicID=388&ICardID=1859

Patrick was called up for the camp in Florida last July and played significant minutes so he's still very much part of the set up. He was a 2nd team Canada West all star in his first season as a left back at TWU. Depending on how many Euro based players get called in, he could quite likely find himself in the squad. He's a versatile left-sided player so that may be enough to keep him in the squad.

Charowski, Tomasz M 10/15/1985 0 0 Duke University

Seems he's an 85 Alberto, not an 83.

There's a core group of 87s that could make this team and bring some valuable experience with them in 07: Peeters, Lombardo, Edgar and the two goalkeepers Begovic and Giacomi. Possibly Kerr Mcleod and Hector Contreras as well, but should they be given a spot?

I'm ready to book a flight to Amsterdam to watch these guys!

quote:Originally posted by canso

Charowski, Tomasz M 10/15/1985 0 0 Duke University

Seems he's an 85 Alberto, not an 83.

There's a core group of 87s that could make this team and bring some valuable experience with them in 07: Peeters, Lombardo, Edgar and the two goalkeepers Begovic and Giacomi. Possibly Kerr Mcleod and Hector Contreras as well, but should they be given a spot?

I'm ready to book a flight to Amsterdam to watch these guys!

I' be there too and watch hopefully your team as will as mine Italy will make it through. I sure would like to see them play i will be in my glory.

However sorry for the misunderstanding about Charoski. But too many in total midfielders! Dont you think! Some of the names mentioned in this topic may lack the experience and playing in the back, I am not convinced that you have the Defence to hold the big teams. I really would like to see lots of experience in the Back 4 with some on the bench as well they should be older players both 85 and 86.

thats why I like ledgerwood --Hainault-- -Ramalho-- -Kassaye

"Italy are only participating in their fourth FIFA World Youth Championships since 1977.

Their record from their three appearances (1977, 1981 and 1987) is modest: five defeats, three draws and two wins.

Italy’s best ever performance came in 1987, when they reached the quarter-finals only to go down 1-0 to hosts Chile."

Who knew? They've won four of the last five UEFA U-21 titles, but haven't even been to the U-20 WYC since '87!

How do you explain that Alberto?

true but winning at the young age is not as important as winning at the older age groups, yes for some reason Italy in the younger groups tend to be more relaxed for some reason and laid back and less disinterested but this year there appears to be a different picture and amostphere in this team. All I hope is that I can watch both to make my trip truly worthwhile and most of all exciting to watch good futbol being played by these young players in this class that i now very well.

Boca Lupo to Both teams, I say.

I'll tell you now don't get your hopes up with the two players in Mexico. Petro Czoli is a really good defender very tough and strong defencevliy. He can also play in the midfield. Carlos Rivas Jr. don't get me wrong is also a good player. But he has the name. His father which is involved with the NTC program in ontario was a former Chilean National team player. Played in a world cup. Now Carlos Sr. has connections with Cruz Azul, this past summer in the Addidas tournament in Vaughan, Ontario, Carlos Sr. brought 8 or more Cruz Azul academy teams. He also runs that tournament. Now I'm not bashing anyone or anything because that was great what he did. But what I'm saying is to me his son is a good player but I think there's better out there for starting roles. My starting line-up would be as follows:

Gk:Wagenaar, Joshua

Rb:Asante, Richard

CD:Edgar, David

CD:Hainault, Andrew

LD:Czoli, Petro

LM:Lalli, Franco

CM:Ledgerwood, Nikolas

CM:De Jong, Marcel

RM:Peters, Jaime

RF:Hughes, Dylan

LF:UCELLO, Julian

SUBS:

GK:Giacomi, Roberto

GK:Lindley, Thomas

D:Davis, Myles

D:Kassaye, Simon

D:Peetoom, Brad

D:Ramalho, Graham

M:Charowski, Tomasz

M:Gyaki, Ryan

M:Rivas, Carlo

M/F:Rosenlund, Tyler

F:Shepherd, Jeremy

F:O'Neil, Riley

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

I'll take a shot at the starting lineup and 18 man roster for the qualifying round based on what I have seen (very little), heard and read.

Starters (4-4-2)

Wagenaar

Ramalho - Edgar - Kassaye - Kelly

DeJong - Gyaki - Ledgerwood - Peters

Uccello - Hughes

Subs

Lindley, Haineault, Davis, Rosenlund, Charowski, O'Neill, Lombardo

Note: Jonathan DeGuzman inserted into starting lineup if he commits.

Also, Champs, I will take you up on your offer of information on young players.

Any comment on Shane Lammie, an '88 who some say may be our best prospect?

I watched a Direct Kicks episode profiling the Dixie 89ers in a tournament in Europe. Scouts of Man Utd and Blackburn were interviewed and were raving about the players on that team. Are you familiar with them?

Yes, I could comment on this. Basically the strongest age group in Ontario is the 89's. And the dixie 89's are a very skilled team. They've travelled to various big tournaments around the world, and competed very well in them.http://www.dixie89ers.com/ check out there own personal website. Also there is the Brampton East team which is another very skilled team this age. And even North London have a very skilled team. Thats just a few to mention.

Roster for training camp.

# Pos. Complete Name Club DOB Hometown Prov.

1 GK WAGENAAR, Joshua Hartwick College (NCAA) 26-Feb-85 Grimsby ON

2 D HAINAULT, Andrew Montreal Impact 17-Jun-86 Hudson QC

3 D DAVIS, Myles UC Santa Barbara (NCAA) 29-Jul-86 Delta BC

4 D KASSAYE, Simon unattached 19-May-85 Edmonton AB

5 D EDGAR, David Newcastle United FC (England) 19-May-87 Kitchener ON

6 M MURRAY, Tristan James Madison University (NCAA) 21-Oct-85 Brampton ON

7 M GYAKI, Ryan Sheffield United FC (England) 06-Dec-85 Calgary AB

8 M LEDGERWOOD, Nikolas 1860 Munich (Germany) 16-Jan-85 Lethbridge AB

9 F HUGHES, Dylan FC Kaiserslautern (Germany) 23-Jan-85 North Vancouver BC

10 F LALLI, Franco US Lucera Calcio (Italy) 11-Mar-85 Woodbridge ON

11 F SHEPHERD, Jeremy unattached 08-Apr-85 Mississauga ON

12 M PETERS, Jaime unattached 04-May-87 Pickering ON

13 F JOHNSON, Will Chicago Sockers (USA) 21-Jan-87 Woodridge IL

14 D/M KELLY, Patrick Trinity Western University 07-May-86 Cochrane AB

15 D PEETOOM, Brad Syracuse University (NCAA) 02-Mar-86 Abbotsford BC

16 M ROSENLUND, Tyler UC Santa Barbara (NCAA) 13-Sep-86 Port Coquitlam BC

17 F WIREDU, Murphy St. Peter's College (NCAA) 15-Jan-85 Brampton ON

18 M GUZMAN, David University of Louisville (NCAA) 24-Mar-85 Toronto ON

19 D HEMMING, Tyler Hartwick College (NCAA) 09-May-85 London ON

20 F O'NEILL, Riley University of Kentucky (NCAA) 09-Sep-85 Campbell River BC

21 D LI, Nathan University of Kentucky (NCAA) 11-Jan-85 Delta BC

22 GK BEGOVIC, Asmir Portsmouth FC (England) 20-Jun-87 Edmonton AB

"As for the other matchup, Duke, the 1986 champs, led by ACC Frosh of the Year Michael Vidiera have much more depth than the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos. Look for the freshmen trio of Spencer Wadsworth, Zachary Pope, and Tomek Charowski to make a big difference with their skills and rare composure."

Skill and Rare composure...sounds like something that could come in handy!

• 4 weeks later...

R U kidding me,

its a joke u guys wont even qualify. I just checked the roster and i find it simply shockin. Elton "easy" Fernandes is no where to be found. He should be on it at least come on boys. His touch and change of past will cause absolute havoc out wide. The team needs him. HE Never gets caught in possesion. He needs work physcially, but it hasnt hurt him yet. He already has experience playing at that level with the younger canadian teams. He would be already playing in europe if his parents would of let him go. Come on now. His college team is 2 players from being a final 16 team at the ncaa tourny. U guys might wanta give him a chance soon. Come on boys get it together. USA is gonna murder u guys if u dont pull it together. He also was 2nd team all castle boozefest this past semster. GOOD LUCK without him

Sir Jareldinho BIG UPS to da T.DOT

Canada gets to play the host Honduras team, plus Mexico and Jamaica. We beat Jamaica in a friendly last summer, so it could be a battle with Honduras and Mexico to see which two advance to Holland.

For those thinking of going to San Pedro for the tournament, I checked a few flights. Its possible to go return from Vancouver to San Pedro, with stops in LA and San salvador for $1,450, plus taxes etc. Return flights from Vancouver to Belize, via Dallas are only $950 plus taxes etc. Bus from Belize to San pedro shouldn't be much.

CSA President Sharpe spoke at the BC Soccer Semi-AGM today and said the U20 team would be "hot housed, probably in BC to prepare for the World Championship." Unfortunately he didn't elaborate - we don't know when, for how long and which players? This presumably is the CSA alternative to the USSTF Bradenton camp. If it pans out then we can't accuse the CSA of not spending money to prepare the team to win.

Here is my guess at an 18-man roster, after news coming from the training camps, and taking Alberto's advice:

G - Wagenaar, Begovic

D - Edgar, Kassaye, Hainault, Ledgerwood, Stewart, Ramalho

M - Rosenlund, Peters, DeJong, Gyaki, Schiavone, Lombardo

F - Hughes, Uccello, Johnson, O'Neill

quote:Originally posted by analyst

CSA President Sharpe spoke at the BC Soccer Semi-AGM today and said the U20 team would be "hot housed, probably in BC to prepare for the World Championship." Unfortunately he didn't elaborate - we don't know when, for how long and which players? This presumably is the CSA alternative to the USSTF Bradenton camp. If it pans out then we can't accuse the CSA of not spending money to prepare the team to win.

Its a good step if they take it. The U-19s I believe had the same situation. Of course Edgar, Uncello, Bergovic and others will not be there as they have profesional clubs they are associated with. And Roselund, of course, has college. It will be interesting then, to see if the "campers" gain advantage on the pros in terms of starting or making the team.

Archived