MLS getting $150 million from adidas

Silvio

MLS NEARING ANNOUNCEMENT OF TEN-YEAR ADIDAS SPONSORSHIP

The WASHINGTON POST reports that MLS today could announce a ten-year

sponsorship deal with adidas worth about $150M. Under the deal, adidas will "provide the league with its official ball and become the only athletic brand with advertising rights for all MLS games as well as the 2006 World Cup telecasts on U.S. networks." adidas Managing Dir Erich Stamminger: "We see U.S. soccer as one of the top growth markets in the world. We are confident that this partnership will accelerate the building of MLS"

(WASHINGTON POST, 10/5

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7305-2004Oct4.html>).

Ya know I'd really like to follow this league and care and stuff .... but I don't ! Why is that ? It's right here in my backyard .... but in my interest it's right up there with the Antarctic Premier League .

Tell me why this league should be important to non-Yanks ?

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Perhaps we should eliminate all talk of soccer that has no Canadian content from this board, then.

Noooo , I think you mis-interpreted my remark. I will gladly add MLS to the leagues I follow English, Irish, French some Spanish , A-League , Impact in Canada as far as pro or semi-pro leagues go . I have tried following South American but can't maintain any interest . I just want to know why as one who lives where there are no pro sports and can throw a dart on a map and say that's my team , should invest any more time on this league than say Andorra 1 Division ?

I'm not putting the league down . We all chose to follow what we do for a myriad of reasons . I just want to know why an American league should be important to me !

EDIT :

What I'm trying to say in 2 posts now ....is I'm a potential customer. Sell me , make the MLS important to me ! How do I indentify , what will make me log on every Monday A.M. for scores and standings.

What makes you follow this league ?

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Noooo , I think you mis-interpreted my remark. I will gladly add MLS to the leagues I follow English, Irish, French some Spanish , A-League , Impact in Canada as far as pro or semi-pro leagues go . I have tried following South American but can't maintain any interest . I just want to know why as one who lives where there are no pro sports and can throw a dart on a map and say that's my team , should invest any more time on this league than say Andorra 1 Division ?

I'm not putting the league down . We all chose to follow what we do for a myriad of reasons . I just want to know why an American league should be important to me !

EDIT :

What I'm trying to say in 2 posts now ....is I'm a potential customer. Sell me , make the MLS important to me ! How do I indentify , what will make me log on every Monday A.M. for scores and standings.

I guess its because many opinion leaders in canadian soccer community ( CSA leadership, Frank Yallop, Craig Forrest, other soccer media etc) see the MLS a logical option to grow professional soccer in Canada. Whether or nor that is valid, is another debate. Lets face it, nobody is realistically talking about a canadian club within the Mexican league are they? This kind of sponsorship deal impacts the longer term financial viability of the MLS.

Therefore this story is just as valid IMHO as a posting that, for example, Arsenal has struck a sponsorship deal with Emerites for the naming rights to their new stadium. I doubt that kind of story would have raised any objections in this "General Soccer Discussions" category, so why would a similar story about the MLS raise any objections?

I don't have a favourite team in the MLS either. But aside from those clubs with canucks, I also don't have a favourite english club. But news is news.

quote:What I'm trying to say in 2 posts now ....is I'm a potential customer. Sell me , make the MLS important to me ! How do I indentify , what will make me log on every Monday A.M. for scores and standings.

What makes you follow the Irish soccer league?

It's soccer silly.

Anyway,

That is a big, horking, huge, stash of cash. Seems like the bit of re-tooling that's taking place within MLS' ownership structure is reaping some rewards. And a bit of respect might be just one of them. (Sorry had to do the Dangerfield there, RIP).

Don't own any Adidas stuff. Wear Umbro boots, Lotto shorts, Diadora shirts and my best ball is (of all things) a Spalding. Think the Little One's shin guards are Adidas but can't promise.

Use to wear Adidas boots, though. Liked them for three-down football.

I thinkyoumisunderstand the relevenace and purpose of the post (or maybe I do.)

The item is being posted (as far as I can tell) as information regarding the business of soccer in North America. No one gives a toss if you follow the league or not. The point is that the lessons of the MLS as a functioning pro league in N. A. are important for Canadian pro clubs and any attempt at a pro league here.

Ya know I'd really like to follow this league and care and stuff .... but I don't ! Why is that ? It's right here in my backyard .... but in my interest it's right up there with the Antarctic Premier League .

Hmmm. Because we employ some of your compatriots? We give them an opportunity to ply their trade here in North America. That's for starters (Just like the WUSA before they went belly up). I like following my countrymen/women's progress no matter where they play. But that's just me... I'm very geeky that way.

Right, forgot about the CRapids and Kroenke's proposed new barn. I haven't checked into my information lately but have they actually selected a location ? As well, are they going to need to go to the public in whatever municipality they choose for a bond issue?

Sorry bout the omission [:I]

quote:Originally posted by yankiboy

Hmmm. Because we employ some of your compatriots? We give them an opportunity to ply their trade here in North America. That's for starters (Just like the WUSA before they went belly up). I like following my countrymen/women's progress no matter where they play. But that's just me... I'm very geeky that way.

Do you know what ! You're 100% right !

It was a stupid post , as was my follow up. Soccer has so many facets that I have no right to judge what is important to others .

What we follow in the wide world of soccer is an individual choice and I should stick to what I enjoy and not downgrade what others enjoy.

It is good news that this league signed a sponsorship of this size , I should learn to keep my mouth shut when I have nothing to add.

Just wanted to add that what I enjoy most about this board is the tolerance shown to others . So who am I not to show it myself [B)]

I'll agree with the original post, actually. We have 3 players in MLS (the Q2 and Brillant) and I follow them as much as I do Hume in England or Occean in Norway or McKenna in Scotland. It seems that the CSA and Sportsnet have gotten a big boner for the MLS as of late. The A-League sees much more Canadian players developed (Canada has had, what? 5, 7 MLSers in 9 seasons?) yet gets less coverage because lack of TV highlights.

I think Sportsnet is taking the easy way out here and just passing on MLS and having features such as "impress the MLS" (Come on! Get a better name). I doubt many up here follow the league more than periphally (sp?) and I think the coverage here is a bit of "you'll be interested because we say so".

Do you know what ! You're 100% right !

It was a stupid post , as was my follow up. Soccer has so many facets that I have no right to judge what is important to others .

What we follow in the wide world of soccer is an individual choice and I should stick to what I enjoy and not downgrade what others enjoy.

It is good news that this league signed a sponsorship of this size , I should learn to keep my mouth shut when I have nothing to add.

Just wanted to add that what I enjoy most about this board is the tolerance shown to others . So who am I not to show it myself [B)]

WHOOOA! SLOW YOUR ROLL-I'VE NEVER BEEN 100% RIGHT ABOUT ANYTHING [:0]

You just through something out there for discussion. Bro, it wasn't really a "stupid" question. Let's not go to extremes. It was a fair question. Discussion is good. Please, please, please don't get too sensitive about not being offensive. Tolerance doesn't mean never trying to stir things up a bit or never asking a thought provoking question. Or just sharing your viewpoint. You didn't put down anyone...

Take it easy.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

It will be interesting to see if there is much of a change in perception (among other things) once the new facilities in Dallas (er, Frisco), Chicago and New Jersey are opened.

Dallas (Frisco)

Chicago (Bridgeport)

Metrostars (Harrison County)

We'll likely see plans for Salt Lake as well in the future.

Archived