How about our Cnd baseball team [R]

Free kick

Can't say that I have found much ( from a Cnd angle) to get really interested with the Olympics so far. But the Olympic baseball tourny is so interesting that its has me checking up on the results regularly. We're are ahead of Greece right now 2-0 and still undefeated. Looks like canada could finish first in the pool or at the very least make it to the medal round. If we can avoid Japan and cuba in the semi final round, there is every reason to believe that Canada could end up playing for the Gold.

What I especially like, is the kind of team Whitt has assembled. Very strong defensively and with pitchers who don't try to over power hitters but rather throw strikes. Exactly the kind of team that in a "one game take all" format is capable of causing a major upset over the star studded Cuban and Japanese teams.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the same boat. I'm finding myself totally consumed by that team. Love the way they play defense, the pitching is top notch and we have some very solid bats as well. Even thinking of getting up early Saturday morning (4:30am) to watch them play Cuba!!! lol

I'm also following Canada's Olympic baseball team closely. They seem like a great group of guys. Really hope they can get a medal. It would be well deserved.

One thing that's amazing about the team is how totally left-handed the hitters are. Only Danny Klassen among the starting nine hits right-handed. The funny thing is, when you look at the Canadians in the majors, they're also heavily left-handed: Walker, Stairs, Aaron Guiel, Koskie, Morneau. Only Jason Bay hits righty. What the heck's that all about?

They're 4-0 but they have only played one serious baseball country.

Their qualification tournament was harder than this.

Not sure why Int Baseball Fed let 3 Euro countries in the tournament and only 2 from our region. At best only Greece and 1 other Euro country should be in. Ideally, only Greece should have been in unless Italy or Holland was able to beat out the 3rd best team from our region.

quote:Originally posted by red card

They're 4-0 but they have only played one serious baseball country.

Their qualification tournament was harder than this.

Not sure why Int Baseball Fed let 3 Euro countries in the tournament and only 2 from our region. At best only Greece and 1 other Euro country should be in. Ideally, only Greece should have been in unless Italy or Holland was able to beat out the 3rd best team from our region.

Agreed. Canada's gonna end up hating the schedule-maker before this is all said and done. . And anything less than a bronze is not a success!

Unlike last nights WCQ these guys look they want to win and alot of them have been to "THE SHOW " Dickson et al . Are you gellin' ?

They have a team thing goin'. But they haven't played Cuba or Japan yet . But at least they are showing enthusiasm same with the Softball team.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Unlike last nights WCQ these guys look they want to win and alot of them have been to "THE SHOW " Dickson et al . Are you gellin' ?

They have a team thing goin'. But they haven't played Cuba or Japan yet . But at least they are showing enthusiasm same with the Softball team.

They've beaten the baseball equivalent of Belize Football Team three times and just like with the Canadian MNT in football the expectations have gone thru the roof. And then everyone wonders why it always APPEARS </u>that they choke. [8)]

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

They've beaten the baseball equivalent of Belize Football Team three times and just like with the Canadian MNT in football the expectations have gone thru the roof. And then everyone wonders why it always APPEARS </u>that they choke. [8)]

At least they're there, right?

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

They've beaten the baseball equivalent of Belize Football Team three times and just like with the Canadian MNT in football the expectations have gone thru the roof. APPEARS </u>that they choke. [8)]

Would you call Taiwan the baseball equivalent of Belize Football ? I wouldn't. Plus they have beaten these sides in more convincing fashion than the more hearlded sides. I think you missed my original point entirely. They hardly commit any errors and don't walk opponents. Thats what gives us confidence. Not because we beat Italy and Greece.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

This tournament shows why baseball really is a great sport. What makes it appear boring is a bloated (in every way) MLB.

So true, Yes I have soured on baseball in the past 10 years. But its been mostly been against the major leagues (ie.: too many teams, too much hype, too much marketing, too much phoneyness, too long a season & too many meaningless games). But I have always like tournament baseball and moreso post season baseball.

MLB really needs to have two seasons per calandar year (like in the argentine league). Two 72-game seasons sounds about right. Have the playoff champion of the opening season meet the playoff champion from the closing season in the World Series. Gives the small market teams something to hope for beyond May/June as well.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

This tournament shows why baseball really is a great sport. What makes it appear boring is a bloated (in every way) MLB.

Agreed. Baseball could be very exciting if a real world championship could be organized featuring the national teams (using the best players) from countries like USA, Canada, Japan, Dominican Republic, Taiwan, Cuba, Australia, Panama, Mexico and Puerto Rico. I might be forgetting a few. Anyway, the best against the best would be interesting.

I turned off MLB a long time ago.

Taiwan has normally been a power. It has suffered recently from corruption scandals and therefore wouldn't be considered a #2 in Asia.

Cuba also sent a weaker team to the Olympics. Not like the Cuban teams of the past.

quote:Originally posted by devioustrevor

Taiwan won the Silver Medal in Barelona, they are not the Baseball equivilant of Belize.

Well, I was referring to the Netherlands, Greece and Italy being the Belize of the baseball world. Taiwan is no powerhouse though anymore. In fact, they lost to Italy today.

I was a hardcore baseball follower prior to being converted to soccer.

What killed it for me was when the AAA Vancouver Canadians suddenly switched from the Chicago White Sox to the (then) California Angels as their parent club.

I went to nearly all the C's home games, and became a White Sox fan as Vancouver players would frequently get called up to the ChiSox, and major leaguers would often come down from Chicago (i.e. Sammy Sosa) to play for Vancouver for a while. My dad and I subscribed to the old extensive cable TV package just so that we could get Chicago-based WGN to watch ChiSox matches.

Then suddenly.... bang. After many years of being affiliated with the Chicago White Sox, we're now the farm club of the California Angels. Overnight, Vancouver's entire roster is different. I'm suddenly supposed to cut all my ties with the Chicago White Sox, after having invested so much time, money and (most importantly) emotional currency in the ChiSox as parent club of the Vancouver Canadians, and suddenly support the California Angels.

I guess I was more into things than the average, casual fan who just came out to a Cs game for some sun and a hot dog.... but did they seriously expect hardcore supporters like me to just happily switch allegiances to California overnight?

My interest in the Vancouver Canadians quickly dwindled, and soon died off completely. Shortly after, the Vancouver Canadians were moved to Sacremento, despite winning the AAA World Series. But by that point, I didn't even care.

That's baseball for you....

Archived