Letter to the editor in todays Toronto Star

Free kick

In the todays sports section, letter is an interesting read for Voyageurs. I am sure that not many here will disagree. BTW from the senders name and location, you should be able to figure out who she is. In fact some of us have chatted with her at the last Gold Cup in Boston

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is an excellent letter, imploring all of the people showing an interest supporting soccer by celebrating it in the streets to get off their fat asses and support the Canadian national team in the upcoming World Cup qualifiers. Only it is put a little more politely than I put it. And well done to the Toronto Star for printing it.

Jul. 5, 2004. 01:00 AM

Save some cheers for Canadians

I believe that the Euro 2004 tournament has been spectacular, but it has further perplexed me as to the state of soccer in Canada.

During this tournament we watch all our European favourites and fully support them, win or lose. Fly our flags when our favourite wins, or take part in hour-long discussions trying to figure out why they lost.

We cheer for the goals from players like Charisteas, or Rooney. We however, forget the fact that Canadians play soccer too. Angelos Charisteas' Werder Bremen teammate Paul Stalteri was playing for Canada here in Kingston in World Cup qualifiers in mid-June. Wayne Rooney's Everton teammate Tomasz Radzinski was also here, but did anybody notice?

The very players playing in the Euro are teammates of some Canadian internationals, yet the Europeans are worshiped and would be noticed immediately upon arriving in Toronto. Canadian international players come home and nobody knows who they are, even though they play with or against players that are idolized from Europe. It is frustrating, but mostly it is sad. It is sad because the people that are famous in Canada like David Beckham or Luis Figo will probably never come to Canada, will only visit if on holiday or if paid to do so, yet the players who sweat for Canada and who sacrifice for the country of their birth are the ones we choose to know nothing of.

Canadian kids don't have to look over the Atlantic for their role models; they are much closer to home. I'm not saying that you can't support both Portugal and Canada, but if you are going to have to choose one, then it has to be across the board.

Don't only support Canada when it's hockey because you can't have the best of both worlds. Support the Portuguese hockey team as well if you feel so devoted to your country. I use Portugal as an example, because I myself am a Portuguese-Canadian, but my point applies to all European football/hockey fans in Canada.

I know that Canadian soccer isn't up to par with European football, but without support it never will be. If you love soccer so much and you want to see it closer to home, because Canada is home, don't exhaust all of your support during this Euro. The Canadian national team has six World Cup qualifiers to play beginning in August and they would love for all the devoted Canadian Euro followers to save some of their support for them as well.

Christina Ferreira

Brampton

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Jul. 5, 2004. 01:00 AM

Save some cheers for Canadians

Don't only support Canada when it's hockey because you can't have the best of both worlds. Support the Portuguese hockey team as well if you feel so devoted to your country.

That was the best line in my opinion.

The Canadian Paradox.

We have an enormous population of first, second, and third generation Canadians that are more than capable of supporting professional soccer in this country by themselves alone if they choose to do so. The challenge in engaging this segment of the population is credibility.

At the same time, the level of play in Canada is not yet at top European standards; but, we have a class of young players with superior skill in need of places to play. Europe is an option for some; but, not for late blooming Canadians without a European passport.

Then there is an issue about soccer stadia. We have very few of quality and none with the pitches seen at the top level in Europe or South America. It is strange to me that we in Canada do such a great job grooming our golf fairways with golfers hacking and slicing from 7am - 7pm for 7 days each week for the whole summer and we claim that grass will not grow inside a stadium. It seems to me that the first step to gaining the support of the Euro soccer centric population is to treat the game with the same attention they would expect. That does not mean building 40,000 seat crown jewels with artificial turf but maybe a few more spartan 10,000 seat (but expandible) soccer only facilities. Heck we have already heard that some of our National Team players would not play on artificial turf (or Field Turf) so why does the CSA resign itself to this surface?

In addition to trying to push fans to do something, the leadership of the sport in this country needs to be challenged to do better as well. If our leadership see the sport as second class, how can we expect many fans see it any differently.

I certainly agree with the letter writer's sentiment - but in talking with Greek fans and Italians etc.., part (for some all of their cheering) is due to their renewed pride of their homeland and little to do with the actual sport of soccer - let alone their views on Canadian soccer. Soccer just happens to provide a world stage. The Portguese hockey team not only doesn't provide them with homeland pride - but in terms of hockey - Canada is the way to go.

So,if they have a dismissive or ignorant attitude of Canadian soccer, it is not because they don't have pride in Canada - but they're just reflecting the same attitude of the majority of Canadians.

Canadian international sporting pride is largely reflected via hockey and Olympics. So, you can't blame them for embracing the values of mainstream Canadian society.

There are a few people who only get into it because of "motherland pride", but not most. I think most people genuinely like the sport, though obviously to varying degrees. There are other quotes in the front section of the Star where Portugese fans (a woman in this case) says "we are Portugese, soccer is in our blood". I think that is definitely the case with the ethnic groups being mentioned (certainly with the Italians).

quote:Originally posted by red card

So,if they have a dismissive or ignorant attitude of Canadian soccer, it is not because they don't have pride in Canada - but they're just reflecting the same attitude of the majority of Canadians.

Canadian international sporting pride is largely reflected via hockey and Olympics. So, you can't blame them for embracing the values of mainstream Canadian society.

I agree with the writer, because she understands the Canadian dilemna

and being "ethnic" sees the negative support from her peers.

While I doubt that most Canadians (including most of the media) cannot name 7 members of the MNT, I DO BLAME the ignorance. Why? Because this won't happen so much in the U.S., Iran, Japan, or Australia. In those countries, the pride and patriotism about their team is quite

strong despite the fact that other sports are more mainstream. They

may not know the players, but they will never say they're SH!T.

But rather than just comment, here are some steps/solutions:

1) a gradual increase of fan support for our national teams

2) better television exposure

3) an eventual establishment of a Canadian-based league

4) more corporate support (Canadian Tire, Tim Horton's, Magna, etc.)

5) playing more teams AND televising them

6) reaching the World Cup in 2006

I guarantee you that if we reach the WC, more people will KNOW.

Success will breed success ... ignorance, well, you know ...

:D

When you listen to some comments ( on TV reports) from the general public sitting in some café following the game, you quickly realize how clueless about the game some are. Last night, for instance, some greek supporter stated that the Greek played great and deserved to win because " they had so many more scoring chances than Portugal" :(

Which makes you wonder if many are even watching the game. Or are they just there for a party. The true test will come in the next 6 months.

Alot of the blame for not being able to whip up the same interest has to rest jointly with the CSA and the media. The CSA for lack of promotional efforts and the media for not given the MNT and its players the proper weight in coverage and exposure. Regarding the Star, why can't we get that same writter who covers the WC and Euro tournaments, writting about canada's effort. He is certainly doesn't strike me as a newcomer to the sport. You can tell that he knows his stuff. The similar kind of exposure leading up to WCQ matches would be immensely valuable. as would the occasional piece following up on the pro progress of players.

When you listen to some comments ( on TV reports) from the general public sitting in some café following the game, you quickly realize how clueless about the game some are. Last night, for instance, some greek supporter stated that the Greek played great and deserved to win because " they had so many more scoring chances than Portugal" :(

Which makes you wonder if many are even watching the game. Or are they just there for a party. The true test will come in the next 6 months.

Alot of the blame for not being able to whip up the same interest has to rest jointly with the CSA and the media. The CSA for lack of promotional efforts and the media for not given the MNT and its players the proper weight in coverage and exposure. Regarding the Star, why can't we get that same writter who covers the WC and Euro tournaments, writting about canada's effort. He is certainly doesn't strike me as a newcomer to the sport. You can tell that he knows his stuff. The similar kind of exposure leading up to WCQ matches would be immensely valuable. as would the occasional piece following up on the pro progress of players.

Cheers to Christina for doing this. It is obvious the passion her and Paul have for Canadian soccer is immense and they would love to see it go forward as much as we would.

The full page the Toronto Sun gave the two of them on Sunday was fantastic. It is about time they give him some recognition. More people should/ought to know who Paul Stalteri is. As Christina said in the Sun article, "my husband cannot leave the house in Germany without being mobbed by fans, but in Canada noone knows who he is."

Lets hope they aren't discouraged, and, the Toronto media, heck Canadian media, continue following Paul's exploits in Germany.

The best thing about that letter is a) she's right and B) I said it first on these boards last night!

Krammerhead:

quote:Ha! I'm certainly glad I made the right choice. However certainly pee'd off after having to listen to these stupid SOB's leading off the top news story on 1130 with Euro Cup news and the phonies celebrating "their" victory in the streets of Vancouver. Same guys who were draped with the Canada flag when Canada won olympic gold in hockey I bet.

I have actually stopped listening to those kind of discussions. In fact I was listening to a round table discussion On bob McCown's show a few weeks ago and I got so annoyed by the misinformation and ignorance, that I had to shut it off. The worst part of it, is that it was the soccer hater (Bob Mccown), who was making the most sence, while the soccer defender ( Greg Sansone) just had no clue. It was Sansone who said that Having Hargreaves in Euro was one reason to follow the event cause he was Canadian. Even refereneces to hargreave beeing the best ever canadian player were comming from Sansone, At that point, I had to turn off the radio in frustration.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Alot of the blame for not being able to whip up the same interest has to rest jointly with the CSA and the media. The CSA for lack of promotional efforts and the media for not given the MNT and its players the proper weight in coverage and exposure.

These are the major problem we face in a nutshell. I have many many issues with the CSA and their incompetance. In my last 2 trips to Edmonton alone, they misorganzation was a disgrace. When Canada and T&T kicked off there were still 10,000 fans outside the stadium waiting in line for the 1 open ticket window. The U-19 final was 'Sold out' but in reality CSA just didn't print enough tickets and 10,000 seats were empty.

THe medias problem is that English language media is ruled by Toronto and Toronto doesn't want to be a Canadian sports market, but an American one. NBA, MLB, they don't want the CFL, but the NFL...

The coverage of soccer is getting better, and if Canada does get to Germany, that will solve almost all the promotion problem. Kind of a Catch-22.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

There are a few people who only get into it because of "motherland pride", but not most. I think most people genuinely like the sport, though obviously to varying degrees. There are other quotes in the front section of the Star where Portugese fans (a woman in this case) says "we are Portugese, soccer is in our blood". I think that is definitely the case with the ethnic groups being mentioned (certainly with the Italians).

Hmm, that has not been my experience. Of all the Italians I know (family, friends, neighbours) who were closely following Euro 2004, the vast majority of them have not followed soccer since 2002 and won't pay attention again until 2006. Yes, some of them do really care about the game rather than just the partying, but even then it's not "in their blood".

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Hmm, that has not been my experience. Of all the Italians I know (family, friends, neighbours) who were closely following Euro 2004, the vast majority of them have not followed soccer since 2002 and won't pay attention again until 2006.

My experience has been the exact opposite, and I have to add I'm fairly certain that TLN's excellent ratings for Italian soccer every year are not the result of just my numerous friends and family members watching.

Fantastic stuff. She really is one of the nicest people I've met and that was a great letter. I didn't even know who she was in Kingston, but I still got a little tongue-tied when I spoke to her.

Hopefully we'll see her in Vancouver and I can tell her how much I appreciated the letter.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The most ridiculous comment of the weekend was a woman on CityTV saying, "The Cup is coming home!" Where, to Etobicoke?

I hate that, I really do.

The stadium issue is really a hard one. I'm of the opinion that we don't have these stadiums because people really don't care about Canadian soccer and no one sees how thay'll make money selling it. I really believe that the stadiums aren't here simply because of general apathy and the attitude that Canada is not a soccer country by many of the people who would be "assumed" to be soccer fans.

Let me preface my next comments by saying that I'm not a patriotic Canadian. Really, I know it's hard to take for some of you...but it's the truth. The reasons are not suitable for this forum or thread, so don't ask.

But when it comes to soccer, I cheer for where my home is. I don't follow some other country that I never grew up in. So many people during this Euro Cup aksed my where my "country" is and who I'm cheering for. I said "Canada" everytime. "But what's your homeland?" someone in Hamilton asked me. I replied, "Canada - I only have one passport and that's it." I didn't answer that way because of patriotic love, but because it's the truth. Without fail I mentioned the WCQs and most people were surprised it was happening. We can blame the media for this because they don't think Canadian soccer can hold a viewership like, say, Nascar. If someone asked my my heritage, I will them and then say I don't care. But I live in Canada and would feel like an idiot if I didn't spend my time supporting what's here.

But it the end, Euro 2004 depressed me more about the state of so-called "soccer fans" in this country than give me great soccer to watch. I go through this every couple years with the Euro and World Cups. (Next scheduled rant: 2006).

Would someone please tell me what we can do about it?

Archived