Letter to the editor in todays Toronto Star

Free kick

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

My experience has been the exact opposite, and I have to add I'm fairly certain that TLN's excellent ratings for Italian soccer every year are not the result of just my numerous friends and family members watching.
Well, many Italian families are pretty large... ;)

Admittedly my family is not a soccer family (actually I'd describe it as a hockey family (as you know, we do have a Leaf amongst us who represented Canada internationally)). I developed my interest completely on my own. Your case is probably different.

But I suspect the truth might lie between our respective examples. I just don't believe that a majority of those people on Danforth yesterday (or of the group that would have gathered on St. Clair or College had Portugal or Italy won) are "real" soccer fans.

By the way, a note to all: the article posted by sstackho in the "Greektown" thread in the general section relates well to this aspect of the discussion.

quote:Originally posted by torontosupport

Would someone please tell me what we can do about it?

In the end, I just try to not let it bother me. I do what I can to support what I like. That way, at least, I get to enjoy it, rather than always worrying about other people.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree with DJT on this debate, and disagree with Gian-luca on this one.

Every two years, my sisters and my brother become soccer fans. Only a few of the people I know follow soccer year round, and even less of them follow the Canadian national teams. These major tournaments bring out the casual fans who want to support their ethnic background, plus, they want to join in on the party. As soon as Italy were knocked out, no one in my family cared about Euro 2004 anymore (except me).

I find it ironic that I follow soccer so religiously, yet my two cousins that live in Milan don't give a rats as.s about soccer. People in Canada celebrate their cultural identities through the Euros and World Cups, Copa America, etc. The only way this would change is if the men NT did significantly better on a consistent basis (that's another debate for another thread maybe).

Good letter. Even better of her to write it and actualy send it in. Some times as Canadians we're known for barking at the moon and then not getting on with it and doing anything about our complaints. Even just sending in a letter. Curious, but true.

I'm not going to be-grudge anyone a reason to party. Still it dose seem kinda silly celebrating an event one would otherwise be disinterested in. But then all the realy good partys tend to get silly now don't they?

And torontosupport, as this boards blind patriot I think you're doing just fine. It's an insidious, cancerous process patriotism. And malignent too. You don't even know it's there until one day you're at the doctors 'cause of a persistant cough and the routine blood tests come back with something totaly unexpected.

"Ah yes here we are. Seems as your suffering from a case of unpronounced love for country. Hmmmm. Looks bad. Malignent. It's spread to all your vitals."

"Love of country? What? This one?"

"Afraid so. See here? Under the microscope. Those little Maple Leaf shaped thingies floating about. Says it all I'm afraid."

"Okayyyy then. What about all those soccer ball like blood cells? That's sorta strange."

"Was just on the point of mentioning that. If you want to be rid of the cough the only relief is a good patriotic yell. Preferably at a national team soccer match. The sooner the better for your sake. Afraid it's something you're going to have to do for the rest of your life too. Sorry. No know cure. Have found though most sufferers have grown to accept their treatment with anticipation."

"Like becoming addicted to painkillers?"

"Exactly."

When Canada won the Gold Cup, it was a big ****ing deal in my house. We went for a victory drive after, with yellow van and Canada flag, but went back home shortly there after.

You've never seen German fans in other countries spill out onto the street when they win. Just politics? Portugal began the african slave trade.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I have to agree with DJT on this debate, and disagree with Gian-luca on this one.

I think it's more accurate to say is that your experiences are similar to DJT's, rather than my own. I've not denied that examples like your own & DJT's are out there, but I disagree that it is the case in the majority of instances, and again would point out that the audience for weekly Italian soccer (on local television, tv chat shows, radio shows, etc) has got to come from somewhere. I think part of the problem is that you guys may be putting up a higher standard for describing someone as a fan. Even some of the people who only pay attention to soccer when Italy is involved in a major can be said to be soccer fans. I know a couple of people too that only pay attention to soccer every couple of years when Italy plays in a major tourney - but they would still be described as soccer fans, as they enjoy watching the game, they understand it, they make an effort to watch it, they debate out it, criticize the coach like everyone else, etc. Then they don't pay much attention until the next tournament. Maybe you guys wouldn't, but I would describe those people as being soccer fans - you don't have to follow it religiously year round in order to be considered one (though there are of course plenty of people who do). It's those people who don't watch at all, have no interest or knowledge in the game even during the major tournaments but join in on the parties and/or in the shows of "national" support that I would describe as not being fans of soccer, and they are in the minority in my experience.

I would also add that when Italy plays in, for example, a rugby tournament, you don't see Italians paying attention in a major way simply because Italy is playing in an international sporting event & people want to show their Italian pride. If they didn't like the sport & didn't find it interesting they wouldn't watch or care in the slightest.

Personally, I have no problems with fairweather fans who join the party during the big tournaments and don't at other times. I also have no problems with Canadians who support their country of origin and not the Canadian national team. You can't force somebody to care about something.

Let's face it... A lot of the fun of the big tournaments like Euro is the partying - getting all those people focussing on one thing at once. I go to Little Portugal during the Portugal and Brazil matches. I went to Greektown when Greece was playing. I'll cheer on those teams when I'm there, even though I don't have that strong an affinity for the teams.

Supporting the Canadian national team doesn't have the massive partying associated with it. So for the non-footie-fanatics, a lot of the fun is missing. Obviously, those of us that are here do have that strong affinity for our national team, and we do get together and have our own little parties.

Let everyone have their fun. We certainly have ours. :)

I thought it was a great letter. I don't get too bent and twisted over bandwagon fan support in world cup or confederation championships by ethnic groups. I personally just find teams I like or players and cheer for them. In 2002 I was hoping for Cameroon, and I've got nothing to do with Cameroon.

But for the people who are "big soccer fans", and who's blood is Canadian, if they slag off the nt's or Canada soccer in general, I've got a problem with that. So many cheer on the Canadian hockey team like they should, but when it comes to soccer these multi-generation Canadians turn English, Dutch, Ukrainian, French, or what ever. Or better they like Brazil. Well I can respectand admire the quality of Brazil, but cheer for them? not just in a tourni but as a blanket statement "I'm a Brazil fan." What is that?

I don't see a solution to this, some have said WC qualification, but the truth is when we qualify the media and general public will say "We wont win a game" or some such thing. Unlike the bandwagon support of the Greeks or Italy, the common Canadian will simply laugh our team off as pointless. This situtation will piss every true Canadian NT heart right off, and we'll want to strangle the newspaper,and tv (sportsnet,tsn,fswc,SW) reporters who always ask "Is Canada making up the numbers."

Like I said, the letter is all in the right place, but the heart and passion of the average person behind our NT. Unless Canada win or go really far in WC, the MNT will always be on the fringe of most Canadians radar.

So you caught me. There I was thinking I was being clever by using my maiden name, I'll have to be smarter next time if I want to fool you. :)

I wrote that letter out of frustration and I never imagined that they would actually run it, but I am glad that they did.

Paul and I would both like to thank all of you for your support, both with Canada and with Bremen. You really are incredible fans! You are in inspiration to all Canadians!

Christina Stalteri

Heh. The article in the Sun gave your maiden name away.

It's actually a breath of fresh air to hear an athlete appreciating the attention that he gets from his fans, instead of shying away from it and complaining that he has no privacy. :)

Your letter was awesome, Christina. Well done! Sorry for giving away your secret identity (I was one of the fans you met at the Gold Cup last summer) but I'm sure most people reading it outside of this board probably wouldn't have guessed.

I'm sure you will see many of us in future Canada matches and in cheering on the team in Germany in 2006.

Hello Christina:

Paul has been given many nicknames on this board. Perhaps you'd like to weigh in on your preference? The most common are "Larry" - due to his alledged similarity in appearance to "Larry" from 3's Company, Deisel - courtesy of the Mustashioed machinist from Winnipeg (Cheeta) in tribute to Paul's ability to maintain his pace and high work rate throughout the game, and Erotico - an entry from Gian-Luca which has never really caught on as much as the other two (for, I think, obvious reasons) - due to his high placing in a Bremen fan poll on most attractive player a couple of years ago.

Well, you can read about "Mr All-Rounder" on these boards. We try to post info about the Canucks in Germany as evidently most of the Cdn press has a hard time dealing with any news east of the English Channel, unless it involves a certain young man in Munich.

quote:Originally posted by mcaout

ILike I said, the letter is all in the right place, but the heart and passion of the average person behind our NT. Unless Canada win or go really far in WC, the MNT will always be on the fringe of most Canadians radar.

I was talking with a guy in my office today about joining me at the Honduras match and a girl working there overheard and said "Canada is in the World Cup Qualifying?"

<sigh>

It's sometimes so sad...

I just wish to state for the record that I have never used either "Larry" or even the one I suggested (which Gordon failed to mention was just suggested as a joke, rather than in earnest - thanks for that Gordon :) ) in public, so I not only to I not take offence to that fact that you don't like them, I agree with you completely once again. I've always hated the Larry nickname since there is no resemblance at all to actor Richard Kline.

I know which fan on this board started the "Larry" one to begin with, but I will extend the person the courtesy of not embassaring him by making this information public. :)

Since when have you ever tried to not embarass me G-L? Yeah I'm to blame for suggesting 'Larry' and frankly I don't like it either, so I'd just as soon have it die now. I like Diesel, but really what's wrong with Stally, isn't that his 'real' nickname? Nevermind the fact that Stalteri is a pretty easy name to sing and rhyme with. It's not like Peschisolido or Devos (nothing rhymes with DeVos, except err 'cheross').

Anyway welcome to the boards Christina, I'll wear my CSA tilley hat to Edmonton if you wear yours, deal? :)

cheers,

matthew

You would have all laughed for days if you saw the face Paul made when I told him the three choices he had to choose from!!! He also prefers the nickname Diesel, but I'll have to be honest the other two don't offer much competition.

Like matthew said, Stally is his real nickname and I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you used it as well.

The funniest name I have ever heard was when they called him the Stal-terrier in a Bremen newspaper. I thought it was great, but he wasn't the slightest bit impressed with that one! It didn't stick though, they only used it once. He was thankful for that!

Matthew, it's a deal with the hat!

Archived