If Canada played ...

Jarrek

Australia ... who would win?

Ukraine ... who would win?

England ... who would win?

Venezuela ... who would win?

My feeling from the squad versus Belize (yes even thogh Belize are crap) is that we could muster out a tie versus Australia, a win against the Ukraine, loss to England and a win over Venezuela. Now this prediction is not based on the Belize series alone, rather then the results from the past year, in which IMHO are bonding our squad allowing to strengthen it. Your thoughts?

We can definately beat Ukraine. Ukrainian football is in a state of total dissaray. Proof? 1-0 loss to Macedonia and a 1-1 tie versus Libya.

I don't think any of us are delussional, if you've followed the team for a while (I have since 93) you'll notice that it has been the best in years.

Well, honestly that game was a total bore. France looked really unimpressive and really were at the Ukrainian gates all night long. Ukraine is defense oriented and not an offensive team.

They were missing Shevchenko however (not like Ukraine wins games when he plays anyways) ...

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

Australia Yes the rest well the game is played on the pitch not on paper

That would be the most diplomatic and honnest way to put it. In past friendlies we have managed to beat Libya and switzerland. But we have lost to Malta, Czech republic, Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Estonia, Finland, and Wales. Many times we lost quite convincingly. Knowing that, what would make anyone think that we can handle the likes of England and Ukraine? Venezuela is a surprise in Conmebol WCQ, but on the other hand, they are not a UEFA side and its the UEFA sides where we have had the most difficulty with. Probably because the gap between Europe and the rest of the world is so vast. Thats probably why many feel that the Euro championships offer better quality than the World Cup.

Having said that, its not in Europe that we have to earn a WC spot in. Its concacaf. A vastly improved region but still light years behind the number of quality sides and overall competitiveness in Europe. Even Mexico and US might not be shoe-ins to qualify if they had to qualify in UEFA. So there is no reason for anyone not to be optimistic in the upcomming WCQ campaign. I am even confident that if we grab that fourth spot in in the hex, we would stand a ood chance against an Asian side.

Canada Vs. Ukraine:

I can already see all-world striker Shevchenko dancing past some A-leaguer like Watson.

Canada Vs. England:

uh, no.

Canada Vs. Australia:

Listen, if WE had Viduka, Emerton, Kewell etc and looked at an Australian roster with Radzinski, Stalteri and De Vos, we would obviously think we'd win.

Canada Vs. Venezuela:

Best chance for a win. Better play them soon though, they are starting to play alot better!

Ukraine: Complaints about it being a one-dimensional side are quite true. Not having AS in the lineup kills them offensively.

Australia: Suffers from the same problems as Canada does. The difference is that the Canadians are better as a unit than the Australians.

England: Would push them at times. The Three Lions are just too much.

Venezuela: Altitude is the key factor.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Australia ... who would win?

Ukraine ... who would win?

England ... who would win?

Venezuela ... who would win?

I do not think we would do very well against any of these teams -- but it would be fun to see us try.;)

I personally think we might have a chance against Ukraine... ...Australia will be a battle for us and the England game, we obviously will be seen decisively as an underdog.

Venezuela is an interesting match up. It depends on where the game will be played. In my eyes, they are a bit of an unknown quality. They could beat us fair-n-square but at the same time, we could also surprise them.

With our A team, I think we would tie Australia and Ukraine, possibly

beat Venezuela, and would likely lose to England. I think people are judging

our team harshly, as they have not played together long, including the game against Wales. Yallop is preparing the team for CONCACAF opposition, which is needed for Germany, rather than the teams playing currently in Portugal.

The ball is however round, and anything is possible. For the record, the loss

to Estonia was a fluke, and the losses to Germany and Scotland were coaching

errors (very few subs by Holger). You never really know.

We could potentially beat any of those teams except England, who we would do well to even get a draw against.

I don't we could beat Australia in a best-of-seven series, but we could beat them on a good day.

Ukraine and Venezuela are also marginally better than us, IMHO, but a best-of-seven series against either of them would be close.

England would sweep Canada in 4 straight.

Australia would beat us in 5 games

Ukraine and Venezuela would be 7 game nail biters, with Canada a slight underdog in both.

Interesting question - it was fun to think about.

Not to rain on Canada's parade, but in reality, the MNT has done nothing to show they are in the same league with those teams. I'd like to think we can beat Australia, but they have more established pro players in top leagues. I've been following South American Qualifying, and Venezuela has been impressive, especially after handing Uruguay their ass 3-0 in Uruguay, with a Uruguayan squad including Inter Milan's Recoba and Man U's Forlan. Venezuela is much too strong for us, England is out of the question. Yea we beat belize, but we must be patient. We have good players but theyre young and inexperienced. Maybe Radz will take us to Germany, but i feel our year is 2010.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Concacaf

I'll believe we can beat Australia and Ukraine when I see it.

Well when we met Australia for the 1994 WCQ we won 2-1 in Canada and lost 2-1 in Australia.

If they tied against the Salomon Islands in a game presented in Australia for the 2006 WCQ then we can certainly give them a run.

The tie against the Solomon Islands was probably intentional to ensure that New Zealand was eliminated from qualification. I think Australia is a bit ahead of us at the moment but we would certainly be competitive against them and a Canadian victory would not be a major upset. We would have the advantage that our major players are showing up for every game while the prominent Australian players only play in games that they consider important.

hahahahahahahahahaha

We beat a team of shop keepers from Belize and next we're taking on England and Australia. Australia if I remeber correctly beat England in England 2-0.

Lets beat a top 100 team first before we jump into the deep end.

Canada at a Commonwealth Games tournament.

Australia- lose

Cameroon- lose

Cyprus- win

Ghana- lose

Jamaica- lose

Nigeria- lose

South Africa-lose

England- lose

Wales- lose

Scotland- lose

T and T- lose

Zambia- lose

New Zealand- Win

Malta- Win

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Lets beat a top 100 team first before we jump into the deep end.

Canada at a Commonwealth Games tournament.

Australia- lose

Cameroon- lose

Cyprus- win

Ghana- lose

Jamaica- lose

Nigeria- lose

South Africa-lose

England- lose

Wales- lose

Scotland- lose

T and T- lose

Zambia- lose

New Zealand- Win

Malta- Win

Okay, didn't we beat Costa Rica (ranked #28) last year?

Therefore we already did. And what's the point with the

Commonwealth Games results? Do we ever send A teams to these

games? I've always had the opinion we used U23 players in these

tournaments. Why not use U20 results?

I know we shouldn't jump the gun after the Belize games, but

to assume we'd suck all the time is quite wrong.

Canada has beaten South Korea, Colombia, Mexico, Switzerland,

Iran, as well as a few of our CONCACAF brethren before.

We will only find out if we play these teams. Other than that,

it's pure speculation if not projection on everyone's part.

Archived