bircham bandwagon ($2.50 a ride)

trueviking

after watching that game last night, i went out and bought a used bandwagon on e-bay (i think it came from calgary...it has flames stickers all over it). i am officially starting it up for marc bircham. i know a lot of you guys are not fans, but i think he has a place on this team just for his personality. chemistry means a lot on a team and i think he makes a huge contribution. did you see him last night jokingly bump into stalteri as he was being interviewed? the way he came to hume's side after his second yellow. the dyed hair. i think he is exactly what canada needs. all of these guys (including radz) have been saying how much fun it has been. i think he is a part it. the more fun they have, the more likely they are to answer the call in the future. what do the guys who were there think? the guys who saw the practice...what was your impression of his contribution in the team chemistry department?

i also think he is quite a good player....and a good winnipeg boy.

anyone know what was up with the moose antlers after radz scored each time? seems like a great tradition that should be continued. the scoring should continue as well.

the big signs looked great...very visible.

line of the night..."its always amazing when guys are really hurt, how much they don't roll around on the pitch"...craig forrest

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

anyone know what was up with the moose antlers after radz scored each time?

So thats what that was!!. I didn't clue in to the possibility that he was emulating a moose by showing antlers. If it is, I think its kind of cool. Afterall the moose is something many will associate with Canada.

I've always been a bit iffy on Bircham but have to say that he has been growing on me lately. His play, as a holding midfielder, is pretty solid (although I still prefer Bent) and his ball distribution is decent (better than Bent's).

He did score points with me this week, in showing that CONCACAF antics don't seem to rattle him. I was expecting the opposite. His trying to settle Hume down was also good to see.

He was the singing the national anthem! He's from London (and not Ontario) you know! How many players that actually were from London, Ontario would have been singing? Does the-player-that-shall-not-be-named sing God Save the Queen?

With the type of team we need to put together we need players who make things fun. The only way we qualify is to have all of our guys completely committed to the cause. Bircham might actually need to be committed, which, in this case, is probably a good thing.

I definately think Birchy has a positive impact in the team spirit department... ...plus he can play a bit, too!!!

I was at 2 practice sessions and saw him constantly "horsing around" with other players. Don't get me wrong, he was practicing hard and even going into many of the 50-50 balls sliding in!!! But his banters with Jimmy B and the others boys should definately be appreciated amongst themselves. Every team needs someone like that to lighten up the mood a bit. He plays with his heart on his sleeve and you can see that everytime he steps on the pitch, whether it's practice or game time.

I laughed out badly when I heard what he was screaming out to the other players during a split-squad game in practice, "shooooooooooooooot the puck, shooooooooooooooot the puck!!!"

I thought he is strictly a runner in the midfield but watching him in the last game, his ability to pass, and not afraid of doing so, impressed me quite a bit.

I laughed out badly when I heard what he was screaming out to the other players during a split-squad game in practice, "shooooooooooooooot the puck, shooooooooooooooot the puck!!!"

ok..its oficial...i am buying a QPR jersey. that is hilarious!

You could hear most of our chants, but we were heard more often than we were seen. They only really showed us during the anthems once again.

Our "Alley-Alley-Oh! We Love You De Rosario!" chant came out well, and occasionally our individual voices could be heard. I'll have to watch the tape again to see if Sean's "Brennan you've got a dodgy mullet but we still love you!" shout that made Brennan laugh right before kick off is audible.

Birchy is amazingly funny... ...

And I also loved the reaction we got from Jimmy B when he heard about the Sean's Mullet comments!!! :) He got a chuckle out of it as much as we did!

I gotta think we really impressed the players with our dedication and passion for the team.

As tour guide for the Bircham Bandwagon I'd like to make one point: that the player's personality works only insofar as it works for the coach. It's great that he has a fun time and that all the lads like it, but if it doesn't fit with the system, or with the general tone of things, is it really all that good?

I've never been in an international soccer kind of situation, but I've worked for a wide, wide variety of bosses in my rather chequered career, and I know that you gotta dance to the boss's tune. That doesn't mean you can't have a sense of humour, but it does mean that making fun of your boss in a meeting may be part of how the meeting goes, or it may be the acme of unprofessionalism.

I'm not saying Holger was right in how he ran things; but while he was in charge, the way he ran things was by definition the correct way, and it's no surprise that Bircham was on the outside because of it.

When we go to the World Cup, not playing in Japan won't seem a big deal any more for him!

Allez les Rouges,

M@

He looks to have improved in every aspect. At least so far as I remembered him before he went into exile (as it were). Which is good for him, bad in a way for me because quite honestly I'll admit I had no use for the man.

I don't know if his disarming, easy going, entertaining, personality has as much to do with his on field tenacity for his inclusion into the squad. He brings bite to our middle third which has been wanting for some years now. And looks less a liability providing that bite than he once seemed.

Can't say as I'm quite ready to reserve a seat on the bandwagon just yet. I'll follow close behind for now with a big net to safely catch all those bodys bailing off the burning vehicle when the competition stiffens next round. You know, just in case.

And agreed. Where I come from, it's called being overly familiar. You've got to know your place. And your place in public, in front of the lads as it were, may be entirely different than what it is in private. Sorry if that sounds elitist or classist but it's just the way it is.

Ug. The Bombers are getting handed their ass tonight.

He certainly impressed me more in the Belize game than in the Ireland game although obviously the opposition was of a far different level. He seemed technically a bit stronger but again one has to consider that he was playing against very unskilled players who provided little pressure. I think he does definitely bring something to the team though and having seen a practice he certainly has a positive effect on the team mood. I still think that he is a role player on the team though, a great guy to bring on for the last 20 minutes to inject some energy into the team. We have too many more skilled midfielders however for him to be a regular starter in my opinion. Brennan is also a similar style player but somewhat more skilled and DeGuzman also plays with some bite.

From my observation on the 2 games, (I don't know if the coach said anything about this) but Birchy played the ball WAY MORE than Imhoff... ...maybe when Imhoff was playing, there's always de Guzman in the middle of the pitch so everything went through "Guz" instead... ...but in the second game, I observed and found Birchy was the one who started a lot of the attack from the back.

Archived