Press Release: CSA Sponsorship Initiative (?)

sstackho

I don't really understand what this is all about, but I'm sure it's nothing major...

Kicking support for amateur sport into high gear!

163 words

16 March 2004

09:00

Canada NewsWire

English

Copyright © 2004 Canada NewsWire Ltd. All rights reserved.

TORONTO, March 16 /CNW/ -

It's time to give amateur athletes the support they need and deserve.

Let's put Canada on top of the world soccer map

Join us as we unveil an unprecedented sponsorship initiative for the Canadian Soccer Association that will help athletes of all ages,

from the grassroots to the Canadian National Teams, rise to the top of the soccer world.

WHEN: Monday March 22, 2004

TIME: 10:30 a.m.

WHERE: The Hangar at Downsview Park

75 Carl Hall Road, access via the Downsview Park main

entrance on Sheppard Ave W.

Visit www.hangarsports.com for directions

WHO: Members of the Canadian Soccer Association and its

Men's and Women's World Cup Team

R.S.V.P. Alison Bresver, NK Public Relations

(416) 365-3631

NOTE: Numerous photo opportunities will be available

A light lunch will be served following the press conference

We hope that you will join us!

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

does anyone think much of this? anyone from Toronto going to go?

i was hoping to go as i got word that a few players from the women's team will be there ... but it conflicts with a class i have monday morning that i can't cut out of cause i have to hand in a paper ...

it has to do with CIBC

elaine

I hear they are cutting the women's program. why don't the csa start by having an online donation form on their site so they women's program isn't gutted or have a soccer association visa card or maybe they should hire the Cook islands football association as consultants.

The CIBC are already sponsor the CSA. I wonder whats going to happen, it seems big though.

Moosehead, I agree with you 100% on having an oline donation. If they make an extra 1/2 or 1 million that would be great. I e-mailed them before about it maybe you should too.

quote:Moosehead, I agree with you 100% on having an oline donation. If they make an extra 1/2 or 1 million that would be great. I e-mailed them before about it maybe you should too.

great that you agree. An extra 1 million would go along way even though it wouldn't be a huge part of their budget. The csa could definately do more in terms of getting more individual support as well as corporate support for their program. I wonder how much they actual receive from individual donors. If you don't ask for money the public will just assume you have the money to run your programs properly. It is more though about throwing up an online donation form, but also having a strategy and plan and combine that with a funding campaign. Ski Canada has done this, and there online donation is just one part of very professional run sports organization. As well as donating you can obtain a free poster. I think a lot of kids would like a poster of our National soccer teams.

Link here: www.canski.org

all i know is that the CIBC is going to give out 4.3 millions$ throught out a couple of years to the CSA and that two girls from the women's are goins as well as Andrew Olivieri and two other guys from the senior team that are coming from vancouver. Hopefully we will see something on tv or at least on some newspaper.:)

quote:Originally posted by Moosehead

I hear they are cutting the women's program. why don't the csa start by having an online donation form on their site so they women's program isn't gutted or have a soccer association visa card or maybe they should hire the Cook islands football association as consultants.

Cutting the Womens programme????? Did I not read the U16 and U17 girls had a camp earlier this year and just played International Games in Florida. The U-19 girls were in Trinidad and senior women went to China and then Olympic qualification. I doubt the Womens programme will be in for acut. What we should be asking is why the men are not playing when everyone in CONCACAF is USA, CR, MEX, JAM have all been playing games. The male youth teams have not played at all If they did I missed it on the site.

Sounds like good news indeed.

Here's the story from Sportsnet:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/shownews.jsp?content=R032219AU

CIBC announces $4.3-million sponsorship program with Canadian soccer

posted March 22 @ 12:14, EST

TORONTO (CP) - CIBC has announced a $4.3-million, five-year sponsorship agreement with the Canadian Soccer Association.

The deal includes sponsorship of all 13 CSA men's and women's national team plus all international games played in Canada. "Through our association with the CSA, CIBC is helping to develop the next generation of Canadian soccer players - within Canada and internationally," CIBC executive vice-president Stephen Graham said in a statement Monday. "Soccer is the No. 1 participatory sport in Canada with participation rates growing steadily each year.

"We are proud to support a sport that is so widely embraced by Canadians and provides such positive influences for young people."

Canadian Soccer Association

Monday, March 22, 2004

CSA and CIBC Reach Historic Sponsorship Agreement

http://canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1668

Toronto, Ontario –- Reflecting CIBC’s firm belief in supporting Canadian amateur sport, CIBC today expanded its support with the announcement of a major $4.3 million, five-year sponsorship agreement benefiting both the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) and the sport of soccer in Canada.

Through CIBC’s support of the CSA, together with CIBC’s 2003 commitment to Alpine Canada Alpin -- the governing body for ski racing in Canada -- CIBC is taking a leadership position in supporting both summer and winter amateur athletics in Canada.

Unprecedented in the CSA’s history, the sponsorship agreement secures CIBC as the exclusive, Diamond Sponsor of the Canadian Soccer Association. In addition, CIBC’s commitment includes sponsorship of:

• all 13 CSA men’s and women’s national teams

• all international games played in Canada

• the CIBC Mini Soccer Team Sponsorship Program

• the Tide Mini Soccer Festivals presented by CIBC

• the CIBC Employee as Ambassador Soccer Program.

Among those attending today’s news conference where the announcement was made were:

• Stephen Graham, CIBC’s Executive Vice President Personal and Small Business Banking and Chief Marketing Officer;

• Les Wilkinson, CSA Vice President and National Team Chairman;

• Kevan Pipe, Chief Operating Officer, Canadian Soccer Association;

• members of the National teams - Carlo Corazzin, Nick Dasovic, Andrew Olivieri, Kara Lang and Diana Matheson;

• the Women’s World Cup Team Coach Even Pellerud; and

• children from local CIBC-sponsored soccer teams.

Comments Stephen Graham, “Through our association with the CSA, CIBC is helping to develop the next generation of Canadian soccer players – within Canada and internationally. Soccer is the number one participatory sport in Canada with participation rates growing steadily each year. We are proud to support a sport that is so widely embraced by Canadians and provides such positive influences for young people.”

“We want to make a difference in amateur sport in Canada. To build a world-class amateur soccer system, you need the right talent, great coaching and adequate funding,” adds Graham. “With over 825,000 players and coaches registered with the CSA, Canada has a huge pool of talent to draw from. As a Canadian corporate leader, we feel a responsibility to make a financial commitment of this magnitude to ensure that Canadian amateur soccer can thrive.”

Notes Kevan Pipe, chief operating officer, Canadian Soccer Association, “We are delighted to partner with CIBC in this monumental sponsorship initiative which will have far-reaching benefits for soccer players of all ages and playing levels, across the country. CIBC has consistently demonstrated their commitment to amateur Canadian athletes through their support and sponsorship of various sporting programs. With the announcement today of our partnership, CIBC has further cemented its position as a corporate leader in the support of the dreams and aspirations of young athletes nationwide.”

As the exclusive Diamond Sponsor of the CSA and its national teams, CIBC will provide both financial and strategic support to the CSA and will have Diamond Sponsorship status at international matches played in Canada.

CIBC’s support extends to the grass-roots community level as well. Through the CIBC Mini Soccer Team Sponsorship Program, they are sponsoring soccer teams in the Mini category (ages 5-12) helping over 5,000 boys and girls to learn and play the game. CIBC is also the Presenting Sponsor of the Tide Mini Soccer Festivals that attracts over 400,000 people including participants, parents, volunteers and coaches across the country.

To further exemplify CIBC’s commitment to supporting causes and initiatives that matter to their employees, CIBC has developed the CIBC Employee as Ambassador Soccer Program whereby CIBC will provide grants to community soccer clubs where CIBC employees volunteer. This is an extension of the company’s existing Employee as Ambassador Program. Under this program, the bank donates up to $1,000 per employee for charitable and non-profit organizations where employees volunteer.

About CIBC

CIBC is one of Canada’s largest corporate donors and in 2003 contributed more than $48 million worldwide, including $25 million in Canada. CIBC is a leading North American financial institution with almost nine million personal banking and business customers. CIBC offers a full range of products and services through its comprehensive electronic banking network, branches and offices across Canada, United States and around the world. To find other news releases and information about CIBC, visit the bank’s Press Centre at www.cibc.com.

About the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA)

Founded in 1912, the Canadian Soccer Association, in partnership with its members, is dedicated to promoting the growth and development of soccer for all Canadians at all levels. In this pursuit, the Canadian Soccer Association, in partnership with its members, is committed to providing leadership and good governance for the sport of soccer.

quote:Originally posted by Moosehead

Notes Kevan Pipe, chief operating officer, Canadian Soccer Association, “We are delighted to partner with CIBC in this monumental sponsorship initiative which will have far-reaching benefits for soccer players of all ages and playing levels, across the country. CIBC has consistently demonstrated their commitment to amateur Canadian athletes through their support and sponsorship of various sporting programs. With the announcement today of our partnership, CIBC has further cemented its position as a corporate leader in the support of the dreams and aspirations of young athletes nationwide.”

Not to be too negative, but they say its a monumental sponsorship initiative but in comparison to what. Who was the previous major title sponsor of the CSA and what was there sponsorship amount per year? It amounts to 860,000 support per year.

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

Do you no if this will repeat, like every couple of were the CIBC will be giving the CSA 4.3 million and then the next couple of year the same?? Also, soccer girl can we no where you got this info?

Really don't think that CIBC is willing to do this every year. This deal was made for a couple of years, meaning the 4.3millions$ will be given throughout two or three years or even more. I can't reveal my sources... let's just say i have an insider somewhere in the CSA.[:I]

Moosehead... u would be a pretty crappy bum :)

"Hey, what they hell?!?!.. u give me 10 cents, i want atleast a quarter from your working @$$...."

lol, ya its not huge money... but hey any money that comes to help the CSA is fine by me..

Now whos working on a sponsor for the vee's i think we can haggle for about 1.25 million

Archived