Pesch to Derby County!

Peschfan

Surprising. I didn't think he could sign now, or is this one of those sign for next season while playing for another team now situations.

I had also thought Pesch was happy in Sheffield & got along well with Neil Warnock, and thought I read that Pesch had re-signed with the Blades a few months ago?

Is this confirmed? I can't find anything about it on the web.

Nothing on either club's official websites, and nothing on a couple of fan's forums I checked.

Altho "deals" can be made between transfer windows (ie: Robben, from PSV Eindhoven to Arsenal, announced about a week ago, to take place in the summer), I doubt it would be for a journeyman older player like Pesch. That is not Warnock's style in any event, especially in their promotion run.

I would discount this rumour.

PS; Robbens was injured today in UEFA Cup tie, probably hamstring. A risk for the Gunners.

quote:Originally posted by Peschfan

Pesch has joined Derby County on a 2 year deal that will keep him to the club until 2006. He was looking for regular for first team football and Derby pounced to sign.

Reactions? thoughts? good or bad move?

Peschfan, seeing as you are a, well, Pesch fan, I would tend to believe you're not pulling our collective leg on purpose. However, you're going to have to provide a source (or at least tell us if it's anonymous), otherwise you'll drive everyone nuts!

Well guys, I am not pulling your legs. I know there are not any public sources but i have an "insider source" and i believe the deal was made quite late in the day. The only way this deal will fall through is if personal terms arebt finalized but as far as i know its a go. Keep a look out tomorrow for publication.

The camera on the Sheffield Utd. match on the weekend showed Pesch in another classic clip telling someone in quick succession "Piss off! Phuck off! Bollocks!" At the time I was assuming it was to a member of the opposition. Maybe it was a soon-to-be former teammate? :)

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Altho "deals" can be made between transfer windows (ie: Robben, from PSV Eindhoven to Arsenal, announced about a week ago, to take place in the summer),

PS; Robbens was injured today in UEFA Cup tie, probably hamstring. A risk for the Gunners.

For the record, Robben signed with Chelsea. [xx(]

This article makes it sounds like he will be joining Derby immediately.

May not be a bad move if Derby can avoid relegation as he will be a starter for them instead of a sub and United's promotion bid is starting to look pretty shaky.

Rams snap up Peschisolido

Fri 12 Mar, 12:24 PM

Paul Peschisolido has decided to join Derby rather than extend his Sheffield United contract, with Izale McLeod moving the other way on loan.

Canadian striker Peschisolido, who was out of contract at Bramall Lane at the end of the season, has signed for the struggling Rams on a free transfer.

The 32-year-old, who has scored nine goals in 12 starts for the Blades this season, has penned a deal which will keep him at Pride Park until June 2006.

Meanwhile, McLeod has joined United on loan until the end of the season with a view to a permanent transfer - the terms of which have already been agreed.

The clubs have agreed that neither player will feature when the two sides meet at Bramall Lane on Tuesday 23 March.

There was a CP article in the Spectator this morning which stated that Paul was approached by Coverntry as well. He left for Derby because he was offerred trople the salary he was on at Sheffield, it was too good to pass up. He wanted to be closer to home. He was currently doing a three to four commute to Sheffield, according to Warnock and Neil Davidson

He also scored the only (winning goal) in the game, a good debut!

George Burley praised new signing Paul Peschisolido after he made an immediate impression with a priceless goal in Derby's relegation fight.

And the Derby manager believes his capture from Sheffield United could be what the Rams need to escape the drop zone.

He said: "Paul was quite outstanding, not only for his goal but his work rate and commitment, he was a thorn in Rotherham's side all day.

"In so many games this season we have been on top and not had a goalscorer and that's why we have been working hard to bring someone like Paul in."

Burnley are now two points on the wrong side of the drop zone, although they have a game advantage on nearest rivals Burnley.

He added: "It was a game where we knew we would have to work hard for our victory.

"All credit to Rotherham, they closed us down very quickly and went man for man on Leon Osman, who has been outstanding for us lately.

"Our natural game is to pass it through the midfield but in the first half they made it difficult for us to play our normal free flowing football.

"We changed the shape in the second half and gradually got on top."

New boy Paul becomes an instant hero

A priceless debut goal by new signing Paul Peschisolido gave the Rams three points and renewed hope in their battle against relegation.

Peschisolido met a cross from Marcus Tudgay on the volley just after the hour.

Though Rotherham keeper Mike Pollitt beat out his first effort, the Canadian livewire reacted swiftly to ram the rebound into the roof of the net.

Peschisolido's winner was fitting reward for a much-improved second half from the home side after a forgettable opening 45 minutes.

Youngster Tom Huddlestome fired in a couple of on-target attempts from distance and Peschisolido was unlucky with a fine effort which Scott Minto blocked.

Cautious Rotherham might have snatched a lead on a couple of breakaways but they rarely threatened after the break.

Substitute Lee Holmes went close for Derby on 52

minutes and Peschisolido was just denied when Politt rushed out.

Debutant Jeff Kenna marshalled Derby's reshaped defence after injured Micheal Johnson was forced off.

And, with little threat to their goal, Huddlestone almost capped the victory with an injury-time effort, saved by Pollitt at full stretch.

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

Nah, Derby won't go down.

Besides if Sheffield would have been promoted Pesch would have been gone in the summer. This is the best move possible for him.

Yeah, I didn't mean to say it's a bad move, just that it's ironic given previous discussions.

quote:Originally posted by Marc

There was a CP article in the Spectator this morning which stated that Paul was approached by Coverntry as well. He left for Derby because he was offerred triple the salary he was on at Sheffield, it was too good to pass up.

If that isn't a flattering gesture I don't know what is.

It's always nice to be wanted. It's even nicer when those who want you put their money where their mouth is.

Derby's made some moves apparently to avoid the drop so good on them. But it's a long haul from bottom end of table to promotion. Thinking Pesch.'s days are confined to Div. 1 football untel career's end.

Too bad. Would have loved to see Pesch. go up with Brennen;)

P.S. Forgot to add that while the commute issue Pesch. apparently brought up with Warnock may be legitimate, I dought it. Sounds more like one of those fish-or-cut-bait postures. Guess Warnock felt Pesch. should go fish. Maybe he got caught a little out by the number of trout nibbling on Pesch.'s hook.

Leaving the Blades was a good move. Pesh desreves a starting role, and I doubt anyone really gets along with Warnock.

But going to Derby of places!

After eliminating Forest last year, and now saving their rivals from relugation Pesch will need some excellent MNT play to get in my good books.

But at least he left the Blades.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

P.S. Forgot to add that while the commute issue Pesch. apparently brought up with Warnock may be legitimate, I dought it. Sounds more like one of those fish-or-cut-bait postures. Guess Warnock felt Pesch. should go fish. Maybe he got caught a little out by the number of trout nibbling on Pesch.'s hook.

Pesch was offered a new year of contract at Sheffield Utd and decided not to accept, this came out in January. In fact Warnock announced the offer just assuming he would accept it, and many year thought it was a done deal. So he obviously held out and was looking for something else. Maybe he wanted these extra years to ensure closing out his career, and I think the whole commuter question is not moot.

Paul had been offered an initial one year extension but was then upped to two years. however, he knew that some clubs had inquired about him and wanted to see what would come up. Coventry was one other rumors were Ipswich, Wigan, Walsall and west Brom. Then Derby inguired about him to bolster there front line. The shorter travelling distance, the raise in wages and more first team football as well as the size of the club and facilities helped make the decision easier.

Archived