Hirschfeld with Spurs

BearcatSA

Though he played for Canada this week, Lars is still third choice at Spurs, behind England Under 23 keeper Robert Burch.

I would like to see him get some more first team experience, like he did with Luton last year. Should he and his agent be looking for a loan spell? Should he still be considered the Canada #1?

I would reckon that Onstad will stay in the MLS. With his age (35) and his previous bad experience in Europe, and the fact that he's one of the eminent keepers in the league, and his wife being American (I think?) he has no reason to leave.

DeRosario, however, was reported to be going on trial with Forest (Div 1) right before he broke his ankle (or leg?) and was linked with a few less fashionable top flight clubs in the Netherlands before that. So maybe...

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Just finished watching the MLS Cup final: the more I see of DeRosario, the more I like!

Man, De Rosario is top class!! I hope he gets a chance to prove himself in Europe. England would be fantastic!!. He only played half an hour today, and did so well. He opened up the field for San José, added more ball control and got an assist that sentenced the game!!

Just finished watching the MLS Cup final: the more I see of DeRosario, the more I like!

Man, De Rosario is top class!! I hope he gets a chance to prove himself in Europe. England would be fantastic!!. He only played half an hour today, and did so well. He opened up the field for San José, added more ball control and got an assist that sentenced the game!!

If Yallop becomes the manager, I'll bet Onstad becomes the Canadian #1.

I think whoever is the coach, Onstad should be the #1 gk. He played very well today except for DeBeasley's goal. Onstad is our only keeper who's starting with his team with Kenny.

And yes Lars should try to find a new club because he's not a premiership GK. So it would be better for him to realize that and try to find a D1 or D2 club where he can start.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

And yes Lars should try to find a new club because he's not a premiership GK. So it would be better for him to realize that and try to find a D1 or D2 club where he can start.

I think it's a little soon to be writing off Lars' future as a top-flight keeper. He's what, 24 years old? Goalkeeper is a position that often takes a lot of growing into. If Spurs haven't given up on him, I don't see why he should give up on Spurs.

'keepers have realy long shelf lives it seems sometimes.

Still, you won't learn to swim without water. Drills and the practice pitch might point you in the direction you'll need to go to advance at your craft, but it's Saturday afternoons where you'll learn it.

Don't know if 'Spurs haven't given up on Lars yet. They've certainly not thrown their full confidense behind him as their future man in the net though. Wonder how Lars feels about that?

Geezus, the man's got to get playing.

I dunno what it is about Onstad.. but he never instills any confidence in me. I know he's a good keeper, and he played pretty well in the MLS final today (but he really shoulda had tha Beasley goal...whatever). It just always seems that he just fails to make the big stop at the right time.

Maybe I'm just still smarting from watching him up close during the T&T WCQ game at Commonwealth a few years ago. Canada had all the possesion and all the pressure, T&T pounced on a counter attack and scored the first goal. It wasn't an easy shot, but I can remember saying "Craig woulda had that..." I can't fault him on the second goal though. Having Yorke bear down on you all alone from the centre line is a tough stop.

Lars has stepped up a couple of times in 'big' situations (like that shooting gallery v. the USA in Gold Cup 2002), but the jury's still out on him being a true #1 keeper. He really does need consistent first team playing time. I have a sneaking suspicion that his recent rash of injuries stems from trying to do too much in too little time. He needs some stability and games to get in shape and confidence.

quote:Originally posted by strobe_z

I dunno what it is about Onstad.. but he never instills any confidence in me. I know he's a good keeper, and he played pretty well in the MLS final today (but he really shoulda had tha Beasley goal...whatever). It just always seems that he just fails to make the big stop at the right time.

I totally agree. Onstad maybe good for MLS soccer but for National team competition it`s a totally different story. He couldn`t make it as a starter at Dundee Utd.. He can make pretty good saves but sometimes he lets in the most easiest shots, which doesn`t give your team enough confidence. Once Lars gets more games under his belt he should be ok, for some reason Tottenham signed him.

Archived