U20 World Cup on TV/radio/Web thread

Gian-Luca

On Soccercentral today they did not announce that they were carrying any of the matches, despite the fact that they talked quite a bit about the tourney. Also, there's no mention anywhere that I can find that they are showing it, in any tv listing I've looked at.

However, we know that the tourney matches are being broadcast in the US on Galavision. I don't know if any of Canada's games are being shown, but I'm assuming that if they are, it might be possible to get the matches on sattelite up here.

However, if we do determine the matches can be seen here on sattelite tv, the other problem we face is starting times - pubs aren't usually open first thing in the morning (ie. 8am) on weekdays. I think one of Canada's matches is at 11am though. But either way, to get a pub to open in time for a live transmission, we'd have to persuade them (in each of our respective nearest big cities) that there are enough of us to make the venture worthwhile. The question is, how many people do we have in each city to make this venture a possibility?

Any info on possibilities & probabilities would be appreciated.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

However, we know that the tourney matches are being broadcast in the US on Galavision. I don't know if any of Canada's games are being shown, but I'm assuming that if they are, it might be possible to get the matches on sattelite up here.

According to the schedule posted at soccertv.com (http://www.soccertv.com/intl.cfm), none of Canada's first round matches will be broadcast by Galavision.

I'm wondering if we might be able to find a Webcast somewhere.

At the very least FIFA should have an excellent match tracker, as they did for the WWC.

For those in Europe, Eurosport is carrying the tournament. They have listed in their tv guide the timeslots they will be broadcasting live, but the sides playing. This being said, they have the timeslot for Canada's first match against Brazil as a live broadcast but unfortunately, Spain and Argentina will be playing at the same time so I would guess they would broadcast that match. But who knows, they may not have a selection of feeds to choose from so it could be Canada-Brazil

Unfortunately FIFA probably has a clause with broadcasting not allowing them to re-sell their feeds. They would probably prefer to sell the feeds to each market directly. This may be what is preventing our domestic broadcasters from showing the matches. They don't believe they can cover the costs for buying directly from FIFA. If they could just purchase the Eurosport feed second hand they might be able to find enough advertising to cover it.

I have to say Eurosport is a fantastic service. When I was living in London last year I could watch tons of U17, U19 and U21 Internationals involving countries from all over Europe, not just England. Wouldn't it be great if "The Score" started showing this level of soccer more. I mean our youth teams in action - like the match in Kelowna, Youth qualifying matches etc. The popularity of the U19 World Cup and the World Junior Hockey tourney show that the sports watching public in Canada are interested in this kind of product.

quote:Originally posted by snake

log on to www.tv4all.com and click on united arab emerates and than click dubai sports.

also on www.eurosport.com you can get the audio of all the games on eurosport radio.

Snake, thanks for this. I haven't had a chance to check it out. Did you see if they were covering the Canada v. Brazil game? And, for anybody out there, what time does the game start? I am getting the impression that it is 5.35 PDT.

Hey, maybe we should cull all of this information into one posting so that everyone can see what there options are. Perhaps somebody who understands all of this technology could do so? {I am sorely inept).

For instance, what are the options for viewing the game. What are the options for hearing the game. etc etc And perhaps somebody could post all of this at the other forum, too.

At eurosport.com, Eurosport's "live audio" link doesn't work. It just gives an error message. (The "Eurosport News web radio" link right below it does work, but I think that is something different.) Can someone please help with this? It will be impossible to troubleshoot once the games start.

Also, according to http://www.knplogic.co.uk/sport/FT_fifaU20.html it appears that eurosport is not covering brazil v. canada, but DSF Sport is covering it, presumably in German. I went to DSF Sport's site, but since I don't read German I can't tell if they have a live audio link. Can any German speakers help with this?

Also, I notice that another station, "ART Sport 2" has now been added to the list of stations covering Brazil v. Canada. I don't know the web site of this station, so no idea if they have an audio link, or what language they broadcast in. Can anyone help?

Bottom line, looks like we might have English audio for games 2 and 3, if someone can figure out how to get eurosport's audio link working. It may be more of a challenge with the first game v. Brazil, but we MIGHT be able to get audio in some language.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

for anybody out there, what time does the game start? I am getting the impression that it is 5.35 PDT.

5:45 AM Pacific.

quote:Hey, maybe we should cull all of this information into one posting so that everyone can see what there options are. Perhaps somebody who understands all of this technology could do so? {I am sorely inept).
I think, for now, as long as all the posts on this topic remain in this one thread, that's good enough. I'll try to make sure it stays that way. I don't think there's much point in putting everything in one post since we really don't have anything confirmed at this point, but I'll do something like that before Friday.

A general comment on Eurosport. Frankly, audio from Eurosport won't be very helpful, because it's an audio feed from a television broadcast done by good soccer commentators. In other words, they don't really do play-by-play because they expect people to be watching. I tried following Confederations Cup matches this way and I didn't know what was going on. I am hoping that FIFA will have their match tracker like they did at the WWC, in which case that will probably be better. Of course, if FIFA doesn't have a tracker then Eurosport will at least provide updates.

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by An Observer

For those in Europe, Eurosport is carrying the tournament. They have listed in their tv guide the timeslots they will be broadcasting live, but the sides playing. This being said, they have the timeslot for Canada's first match against Brazil as a live broadcast but unfortunately, Spain and Argentina will be playing at the same time so I would guess they would broadcast that match. But who knows, they may not have a selection of feeds to choose from so it could be Canada-Brazil

The Brazil-Canada match will not be shown on Eurosport-GB, but the Australia and Czech Rep. matches will be on live, 1:45p.m. and 4:30p.m. (GMT) respectively.

A desperate hope, almost assuredly, but...usually when I e-mail Sportsnet to ask/complain about soccer coverage I get a response, usually giving a bit of explanation why they have choosen not to cover a specific game or tournament. So, until Soccer Central is over this evening, I am hanging onto the hope of some sort of coverage as I have yet to get the responding e-mail despite two messages on the sunject. Desperate? Yeah probably:).

Yes, absolutely. No frickin' coverage.

If Slovakia is an indication of the level of play Czech Republic will bring to the tournament, then things should be pretty tough. They are leading UAE 2-0 at half already. Not that UAE is a good team at all, but still playing the host is always tough.

Archived